Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Godholio posted:

Your suspicion is wise. I don't know how bad Navy intel might be though. Keep fact-checking everything he tells you.

Not all recruiters are dogshit liars (my AF officer recruiter was awesome) but enough of them are that you have to keep your eye out. The officer side seems to not be as bad when it comes to that. Did you do particularly well on a qualifying test or something? Tons of community service, leadership experience, something like that?

He doesn't seem like a liar, I asked him questions and he was pretty honest about them. I have taken no tests. I have no community service, etc. . .

I even have been arrested before. He said NO PROBLEM, THAT WAS A LONG TIME AGO. I have my wisdom teeth still. He said don't give a gently caress.

So I'm thinking this guy like all recruiters just wants numbers. But to put together a packet, etc, would take a lot of effort on my part and probably little on his. Is he just taking whoever he can get and see who sticks? That seems like a huge waste of his time. I don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
we're probably going to war soon

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Volkerball posted:

we're probably going to war soon

This is my leading theory as well. Probably a bunch of intel dudes have punched out recently, too. Imagery experience is still in high demand, and that comes out of intel.

Edit: Also, this shouldn't have to be a concern, but make sure before signing anything that its actually for commissioning vs enlisting. I've actually met someone who claimed that he thought he was going to officer school and didn't learn otherwise until he literally arrived at Lackland AFB for basic training. Yes, he was such a goddamned idiot that I didn't disbelieve him.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Godholio posted:

This is my leading theory as well. Probably a bunch of intel dudes have punched out recently, too. Imagery experience is still in high demand, and that comes out of intel.

Edit: Also, this shouldn't have to be a concern, but make sure before signing anything that its actually for commissioning vs enlisting. I've actually met someone who claimed that he thought he was going to officer school and didn't learn otherwise until he literally arrived at Lackland AFB for basic training. Yes, he was such a goddamned idiot that I didn't disbelieve him.

So the recruiter wants to talk to me, to come to my house because the US military is gonna stick its dick back(deeper) into the Middle East for a war with ISIS?

Am I gonna get USS Cole'd or something?

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Do you live in like Portland or something with a bunch of uppity white people who don't join the military?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Pon de Bundy posted:

So the recruiter wants to talk to me, to come to my house because the US military is gonna stick its dick back(deeper) into the Middle East for a war with ISIS?

Nah don't invite him over for tea and poo poo, he'll just probably try to guilt trip you into signing since you "wasted" his time. Research what you want to do, if you like what you see on paper ask someone here what their experience is since there are some dudes that have done the same thing just at different commands, and then take the ASVAB after you've studied to reach whatever score is needed for that. If you're deadset on Navy, don't go Nuke.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Pon de Bundy posted:

They've just been spending the last 5 years downsizing, so if poo poo goes down now, they need to rebuild. I joined in 2007, and that sounds a lot like how it was when I joined. "I want infantry with a Ranger option or I walk out of here." "Is that all? Have a seat."

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It's just him and he's an officer recruiter. None of the officer positions look terrible , I'm still wary about what's going on, but I can have my family here so he can't pressure me to sign something retarded as easily if i were alone .

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I think somebody said something earlier about most officer recruiters not turning away candidates to keep the competition very high. From my own poking the recruiters, I'd say that's more accurate than claiming a new build up right now. Just because he is enthusiastic you, I wouldn't jump to say he or anybody else is banking on a new war. Just something to keep in mind I guess.

I'm not sure the US has ever been clear about real 'this is happening' troop buildups until after current boots we have are already beginning to land, I mean, just thinking about how the US has entered its infantry wars since WW2, I'm totally not claiming to be smart enough to say anything about this topic for certain

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ethanol posted:

I think somebody said something earlier about most officer recruiters not turning away candidates to keep the competition very high. From my own poking the recruiters, I'd say that's more accurate than claiming a new build up right now. Just because he is enthusiastic you, I wouldn't jump to say he or anybody else is banking on a new war. Just something to keep in mind I guess.

I'm not sure the US has ever been clear about real 'this is happening' troop buildups until after current boots we have are already beginning to land, I mean, just thinking about how the US has entered its infantry wars since WW2, I'm totally not claiming to be smart enough to say anything about this topic for certain

So he's basically meeting with me so he can be all "look at all these other bitches I can gently caress ur fat anyways"

I knew it wasn't my 2.5 gpa

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Pon de Bundy posted:

So he's basically meeting with me so he can be all "look at all these other bitches I can gently caress ur fat anyways"

I knew it wasn't my 2.5 gpa
does it matter though? You knew your chances were low when you walked in the door, but it's not zero. It's only a waste of time to apply if you don't have the intentions of joining, otherwise not getting selected is just something you'll have to put up with, but 'trying' to succeed at something and still ultimately failing is definitely not what I'd call a waste of time in life.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ethanol posted:

does it matter though? You knew your chances were low when you walked in the door, but it's not zero. It's only a waste of time to apply if you don't have the intentions of joining, otherwise not getting selected is just something you'll have to put up with, but 'trying' to succeed at something and still ultimately failing is definitely not what I'd call a waste of time in life.

Yeah you're right . Better to try and fail than not try at all.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So he was basically like "oops sorry son" my GPA is too low, he just didn't check before. But he did remind me I'd come into the NAVY as a SWEET E-3 if I enlisted.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
hahahahaha

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Volkerball posted:

hahahahaha

He did say the Marines are always looking for more officers, as well as the Army, and that the chances of Deployment are LOW.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Chances of Suck remain HIGH.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Pon de Bundy posted:

He did say the Marines are always looking for more officers, as well as the Army, and that the chances of Deployment are LOW.

I can promise you that if the navy doesn't want you, the marines don't either. We fall under dept of navy and despite the reputation of being cannon fodder, the officer selection is pretty competitive.

You could get E-2 for your college degree if you decide to enlist though. Bonus cool points if you go infantry because peace time infantry is best time infantry.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I can promise you that if the navy doesn't want you, the marines don't either. We fall under dept of navy and despite the reputation of being cannon fodder, the officer selection is pretty competitive.

You could get E-2 for your college degree if you decide to enlist though. Bonus cool points if you go infantry because peace time infantry is best time infantry.

But thread said enlist with college degree bad. I have 2 follow the threads advice.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Pon de Bundy posted:

But thread said enlist with college degree bad. I have 2 follow the threads advice.

That's the joke.

My cousin joined the Army, as did my ex-girlfriend's brother. Both going Airborne in peace time Army and I don't know if I should laugh at them for thinking they're going to do much of anything except gently caress up their joints.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Pon de Bundy posted:

So he was basically like "oops sorry son" my GPA is too low, he just didn't check before. But he did remind me I'd come into the NAVY as a SWEET E-3 if I enlisted.

dude you'll practically be an NCO

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You can tell all the E-2s and E-1s to do pushups and they'll have to obey your orders!!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Pon de Bundy posted:

thread's advice was bullshit, join up and slay dragons boy

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pon de Bundy posted:

:lol: Holy gently caress, what a tool. Take it as a sign, your life will probably be 10x better for this.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Pon de Bundy posted:

Now apply that outcome and level of other-people-caring to every single possible aspect of your life you can imagine, and then keep going because I guarantee with absolute certainty you are not imagining enough. What country you live in, where you are allowed to look when talking to someone, what time you go to sleep, where you should be every minute of every day, what clothing you need to wear during that time, what words you must say when you see a person.

Go back to that recruiter and thank him for keeping you out, it's the best thing they could have ever done for you.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
If the military is downsizing like mad like all you guys say what's with all the army/navy/air force commercials on TV?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
The air force needs more people to rape :shrug:
My guess is there's always going to be people getting out and positions that need to be filled. Just not like the surge where they needed nothing but meatbags to fill the grinder with.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Gotta spend the advertising budget so they don't get less next year.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Gotta spend the advertising budget so they don't get less next year.

truth

we would be out qualifying and have like, six people. eventually we would be done qualifying after a few hours, but we would have to send every loving round we got issued down range so that we would be sure to get the same amount next time. we ended up calling everyone else out that was supposed to come out the next day, and not even to qualify, but just to loving shoot.

because obviously, 20k loving round for six people is something we need every loving time.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I remember when I was in a heavy weapons company, we did a range for the 249, 240, and the 50. They gave us so many rounds it was absurd. It was a really small company with maybe 60 people in it. We shot for 12 hours straight just loving dumping rounds downrange. It was hilarious, and I have a sneaking suspicion that would be the day I picked up tinnitus.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Same. We did it at Yakima from about 9 in the morning to 10 at night. The 240s and .50s had glowing barrels. Had to swap out barrels all day long.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

seacat posted:

If the military is downsizing like mad like all you guys say what's with all the army/navy/air force commercials on TV?

It's brand awareness. The same reason the US Army pays so much money to make you think Army as soon as military comes into your head. Just like the Marines plaster every single unrented billboard in your town with pictures of guys in Dress Blues. If advertisements stopped, people would be less aware and less likely to steer people toward the military when they look for career advice.

Also, there is turnover within the military on a scale that's hard to grasp. Something like 90% of people only do 4 or 5 years in the service. Even if all the branches are reducing their size, there is still a need for a lot of new enlistees. The difference to prospective applicants is that now the services can afford to be more selective in who they accept because of the smaller requirement for recruits.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

seacat posted:

Because the services still need able-bodied, qualified people to enlist. What the services are dealing with now is the ability to be extremely selective. I can elaborate further on the subject of military advertising later on.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So I asked a week ago about leaving DEP. I've since obtained the promotion at work, and I'm telling my recruiter to discharge me from DEP. Are there going to be any consequences for this? I mean aside from probably not being able to join the Navy in the future, what else can happen? Can a civilian job look up and see that I didn't go? I assume a discharge from DEP is completely different than a discharge once you are in the actual Navy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You never joined the military. That's it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The consequence is that you will continue to enjoy life as a normal human being.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Zotix posted:

So I asked a week ago about leaving DEP. I've since obtained the promotion at work, and I'm telling my recruiter to discharge me from DEP. Are there going to be any consequences for this? I mean aside from probably not being able to join the Navy in the future, what else can happen? Can a civilian job look up and see that I didn't go? I assume a discharge from DEP is completely different than a discharge once you are in the actual Navy.

you didn't dodge a bullet

you dodged a nuke.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Zotix posted:

Bro it doesn't even disqualify you from joining the military.

I got a DEP discharge from the Air Force and entered Navy DEP a month later.

You might get a long talking-to from a Chief about how you're throwing away your life and you'll never work in this town again, but you can just ignore all that.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

MancXVI posted:

you'll never work in this town again

wait i thought that type of threat was only in the movies

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Is 34 too old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
how do you feel about taking orders from people who are in their early 20s?

• Locked thread