Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Nintendo Kid posted:

If I remember right the OUYA kickstarter still hasn't shipped out to all of the original backers either.

They did ship them out -- to retail shelves. That's where a few backer ouyas have supposedly been found and bought, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Wait there ate backers that stiiill havent gotten OUYAs? Amazing. Are they still pulling customs form fuckery on the ROW?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
The "world`s smallest flying camera" that existed only through renders

is now getting its first working prototype.

Problem? Not only does it look like just another cheap Chinese drone, it's also ugly according to backers

quote:

I wouldn’t want to be seen with what’s in the gallery now..

I wonder what these backers really want? A stylish dildo camera that cannot possibly fly or a working drone?

Bonus marketing bullshit

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 09:54 on Feb 25, 2015

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Problem? Not only does it look like just another cheap Chinese drone, it's also ugly according to backers
Cheap Chinese drones are already smaller than that and are actually purchasable, including built-in video functionality.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

TetsuoTW posted:

Cheap Chinese drones are already smaller than that and are actually purchasable, including built-in video functionality.

It's like people on crowdfunding sites make bad purchasing decisions based entirely on buzz.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

As someone who fell for the Pebble the first time, I find it hilarious that people are still dumb enough to give them money for another watch after their first one shipped almost a year late without half of the features they showed in the pitch video.

Actually, I wonder if they've finally managed to ship the first watches to Germany yet.

fe: Hahahahaha gently caress me there are still people saying they haven't received their Pebble from the original Kickstarter from 2012.

I loved the first Pebble. I got in the first group on Kickstarter, waited 18 months, got it, and put it right on ebay and nearly tripled my money.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The Toejam and Earl Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1578116861/toejam-and-earl-back-in-the-groove has not one, but two $10,000 tiers. Why do game devs think people want to pay the cost of a modest used car to have dinner with them?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Germstore posted:

The Toejam and Earl Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1578116861/toejam-and-earl-back-in-the-groove has not one, but two $10,000 tiers. Why do game devs think people want to pay the cost of a modest used car to have dinner with them?

Because there's already at least one gullible person who gave them $10,000 dollars and there will be more?

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

Germstore posted:

Why do game devs think people want to pay the cost of a modest used car to have dinner with them?

Because nerds.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Germstore posted:

Precedent.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I'm pretty sure the super-high tiers are there for established studios and developers to throw in a chunk of change. I remember that happening a few times back during the initial Kickstarter mania.

So yeah, precedent.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Germstore posted:

Because there's an entire industry of computer janitors getting paid obscene salaries with no spouse or children and no meaning in their lives but consumption.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Germstore posted:

Why do you not think that? And even if it were very unlikely to be purchased (it's not), it costs nothing to add that tier to the rewards. Why wouldn't they?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Well one of the 10,000 dollar ones has "7 left of 8" so...

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Why wouldn't you have high-level tiers? There's no risk in having them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Great Rumbler posted:

Why wouldn't you have high-level tiers? There's no risk in having them.

Yeah you never know when some random fan might have won the lottery, and you want to be in position to grab their attention. It's not like projects get hurt when you "just" get the money from lower tiers instead if no one bites.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Even if someone bites being ridiculous is being ridiculous. Personally I'd have a $10,000 tier with 1 available and name it "Does Notch like my game?"

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
John Vanderslice had a Kickstarter for his album release a while ago and he had a tier where you could go into his basement, listen to him play some songs with like ten other people, then go get drinks.

That tier cost something like $150, AND you got the album.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drunk Tomato posted:

John Vanderslice had a Kickstarter for his album release a while ago and he had a tier where you could go into his basement, listen to him play some songs with like ten other people, then go get drinks.

That tier cost something like $150, AND you got the album.

See, that's a pretty reasonable amount of money. Like if you're poor you probably wouldn't do it, but a guy with a steady job could drop that on an artist they really like as a splurge.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The best possible outcome would be if an actual rapper with fond memories of playing the game as a kid bought all the $10,000 slots for himself and his crew and all these white middle-aged game designers/Nickelodeon cartoon showrunners were stuck awkwardly spending the evening with their eyes lowered and desperately trying not to say anything offensive.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

The best possible outcome would be if an actual rapper with fond memories of playing the game as a kid bought all the $10,000 slots for himself and his crew and all these white middle-aged game designers/Nickelodeon cartoon showrunners were stuck awkwardly spending the evening with their eyes lowered and desperately trying not to say anything offensive.

Do it, Kanye. DO IT.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i'm making a kickstarter

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Germstore posted:

because people will actually pay for it

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Sleeveless posted:

Gambino definitely namechecks toejam and earl in a song, let's make this happen

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
A super awkward evening with Spike Lee

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

Gambino definitely namechecks toejam and earl in a song, let's make this happen
Donald Glover is basically honorary white though. He's like Will Smith.

What we need is some Young Money up in. I want to see them try and hang out with Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, and, like, Tyga for the night.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's going to be awkward because rappers never say stupid offensive poo poo because they can get away with it my friend of the family

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KiddieGrinder posted:

for anyone else who doesn't want to trawl through the poo poo

Trawling through crowdfunded poo poo is what this thread is all about. :v:

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Self-THOT

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I brought up the pricing and even selling his garbage albums with him directly and he basically dodged the question after making like a million excuses. He's so convinced his plonking is actually worth a purchase :allears:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Phone posting so I don't know if this is the same one as last year, but there's another food scanner up for flexible funding on indie gogo. Only $100, too!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

what the, the only thing an optical spectrometer will tell you is what colour it is unless you like superheat the food into plasma first

and wtf is a gyroscope doing in that thing

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
guys shut the gently caress up this is obviously legit

edit: they were way pumped about that orange gif, so they put it first and left the first drafts below it:

pathetic little tramp has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Feb 27, 2015

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

e: I am angry and weird about food marketing and agriculture

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Feb 27, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Mercury Hat posted:

Phone posting so I don't know if this is the same one as last year, but there's another food scanner up for flexible funding on indie gogo. Only $100, too!

I looked at this and the highly successful SCiO thing (and I think there were others too but I forgot) and it seems their gimmick isn't somehow scanning the food like on Star Trek, but rather looking at a very tiny piece of it (on the outside mind you), looking up a database of known foods, and trying to find a match.

While that probably does sort of work, and might be an interesting idea, I've done enough food/calorie logging to know that stuff I buy is rarely on any sort of database, and if it is it's too difficult or annoying to find the correct match (like a million different types of bread, a hundred types of banana, etc.).

So yeah for an orange, great, it can scan the skin of an orange, look up the database, and match it with an orange, as well as calculate the nutritional value from the weight. Try it with that home made cake like in the pitch, and there's no way it'll know what the gently caress that thing is. And that's assuming the dumb thing even works like they're suggesting it does.

Reading the comments on the SCiO thing is great, a lot of people complaining about lack of communication, where's the next update, etc. :allears:

edit: basically what these are trying to do is done better and cheaper by a barcode scanner.

KiddieGrinder has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Feb 27, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Noyemi K posted:

The part that pisses me off more than the hilariously false mass spectrometer claim is this bit:

There's no agricultural "nutrition crisis". A lot of products are even fortified with additional micronutrients like calcium and vitamin D. Farming practice has also evolved to the point where we don't have to lay as many fields fallow each growing season so they can be replenished; this shithead's basically just repeating hippie buzzwords like "chemicals!" and "oh god refined sugars!!!"

Sure, let's go back to the old ways and starve to death or possibly ingest parasites. I'm sure all those depression-era people who starved down to the bone would rather have their "healthy" food that briefly destroyed the loving environment and was a bitch to grow, than our "unhealthy" food that is plenty nutritious and efficient to grow and also more resistant to disease :allears:

You sound just as stupid as they do.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

edit: could be the start of a loving stupid derail, let's not go there. Instead:

i would like to start a career of adding my perspectives and game play to the YouTube gaming community.

risks and challenges posted:

The biggest challenge facing me right now is the ability to have a stable place to live. If necessary, I will have to adjust the funds to temporary housing in order to carry out my desires. There is also the possibility of not being able to purchase the necessary equipment due to availability, but I will do whatever necessary to carry out my desire to provide the best gaming videos I can.
Why not focus on that "getting a stable place to live" part first, and then worry about starting your youtube commentary career.

This is the ILLUMINATI BOARD GAME. I'm disappointed that the risks and challenges doesn't include "might be erased by the actual illuminati". :(

The letters I pick would be rear end.

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 22:05 on Feb 27, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

That one is sort of cute in a way, something my dad would probably come up with as an idea. The only real problem I see is there's not much room for good maze design in each letter. It'd be more interesting and fun to make the maze bit the outside of the letters rather than the inside. But that'd actually be work, rather than just putting some fonts through a cnc machine.

For extra lazy points (but honesty points I guess?) they pointed out that the font they used already existed, it's not even something they came up with.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Noyemi K posted:

For anyone who thought I didn't come through for you guys. I don't even know where to start with this dude, but let's just say he didn't stop there.

Miroslav is loving garbage, for thoughs who don't know

No, I'm afraid he didn't stop there either. He's so convinced he's the hottest new kid in town he even started a goddamn forum about himself.

So what's all the fuss about?

A rank amateur plonking away in FL studio with harmor presets and making unfitting "classical" covers of videogame music. :cripes:

edit:

Dear god and he wants you to spend at least 4 dollars on basically unmixed albums that use motherfucking FL Slayer.

His problem is clearly that he doesn't have enough VSTs. 20 different permutations of a subtractive synth will surely make him a better musician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

His problem is clearly that he doesn't have enough VSTs. 20 different permutations of a subtractive synth will surely make him a better musician.

He needs them for the presets, I mean if a synth doesn't have the presets you like then you need to get a new one :clint: