Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well he already threw a hadoken that destroyed the moon. What more do you want?

There was also no impetus for Sekai to do more or try harder. And yeah clearly he is squandering build burning since it can control plavsky particles that it can make plavsky copies of it self that are physically as effective as the gunpla. That pretty much just gives you the freedom to do whatever the writers pull out of their rear end.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I've enjoyed most of the show, but yeah the whole three teams thing is dumb. It's always just one guy and two mooks, which sort of goes against any interesting team work dynamics that the fights may have had.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

I've enjoyed most of the show, but yeah the whole three teams thing is dumb. It's always just one guy and two mooks, which sort of goes against any interesting team work dynamics that the fights may have had.

I still hold the one guy/two mooks thing is especially dumb in the face of the fact the show's meant to move Gunpla. It's two empty slots that could've held a couple more customs. The thee-man teams thing is not good, at least how it's been used, but if you're going to push the show that way at least actually use it fully :shrug:.

Next week's fight is not shaping up into something pretty because of this. Nemesis's nameless grunts don't have a hope of lasting against the Gunpla Academy, which means it could well turn into twenty minutes of all three team members no-selling hits on the Crossbone Full-Cloth.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Sekai's actually taking from Domon's moves now. Hah.

Also I hope Lucas wins the next match. :colbert:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Monaghan posted:

This is what annoyed me most about the fight. The prior message had been teamwork is important, you have to pull together. The the other two sat around while the boring character fought.

The fight I like best (well, other than the Tryon-3 reveal) is STILL the practice match against the girl's school because they actually did some tactical teamwork.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The only message this show has been consistent with is GENKAI NANTE NAI. Everything else is kind of a per episode basis that may or may not be contradicted later.

Hey remember when Yuuma learned that he shouldn't just content himself with sitting back and cheering on others? Because Yuuma sure didn't.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
The main thing that struck me about the fight was how awesome it would have been if Junya had been established from the start and if Sekai had had any character development at all up to this point. Try has been so disappointing because the elements of a great show are all there.

At least Meijin's sulky reaction to the choke and Suga's driving were hilarious.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CaptainRat posted:

The main thing that struck me about the fight was how awesome it would have been if Junya had been established from the start and if Sekai had had any character development at all up to this point. Try has been so disappointing because the elements of a great show are all there.

At least Meijin's sulky reaction to the choke and Suga's driving were hilarious.

This is my stance, really. Junya, while a super generic Martial Arts Rival, could have been introduced 15 episodes ago and acted as a motivation and source of conflict for Sekai that he's been desperately lacking, and his continual presence in the show up to this point would have helped make this fight a lot punchier and more dramatic.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
I mean, really, all you would have had to do is make Sekai kind of a prick from the beginning. Not in the same way as Reiji; just have him not have everything figured out already (which he already does; he's just as much of wise Jigen Haoh school Jedi now in episode 20 as he was in episode 1) and have him be more into beating the poo poo out of people to prove how awesome Jigen Haoh is. Have him get kicked out of some clubs because he's hurting people or he's bad at holding back or whatever, have him get into Gunpla because he can go all out without hurting anyone (and delay Assimilation until the dramatic irony that provided would show itself). This provides conflict with Yuuma, since Yuuma already has the opposite problem at the start (that he's afraid of going all out to avoid hurting his Gunpla) and lets Sekai have an arc. Then Junya can come in early and give Sekai poo poo for not being brutal enough, and there's the conflict.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CaptainRat posted:

I mean, really, all you would have had to do is make Sekai kind of a prick from the beginning. Not in the same way as Reiji; just have him not have everything figured out already (which he already does; he's just as much of wise Jigen Haoh school Jedi now in episode 20 as he was in episode 1) and have him be more into beating the poo poo out of people to prove how awesome Jigen Haoh is. Have him get kicked out of some clubs because he's hurting people or he's bad at holding back or whatever, have him get into Gunpla because he can go all out without hurting anyone (and delay Assimilation until the dramatic irony that provided would show itself). This provides conflict with Yuuma, since Yuuma already has the opposite problem at the start (that he's afraid of going all out to avoid hurting his Gunpla) and lets Sekai have an arc. Then Junya can come in early and give Sekai poo poo for not being brutal enough, and there's the conflict.

I would love this show so much if Sekai was basically just the chick from Teppuu.

bondster
May 6, 2007

I got some mad Naruto vibes from this fight

Naruto Sekai pulls from his deep chakra particle reserves to summon shadow clones multicolor Gundams to defeat his foe.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Sekai is basically Pocoloco from Steel Ball Run except as the protagonist instead of a minor comic relief character and even the animators are getting fed up trying to push him as anything else.

e: like seriously this is probably the worst episode so far after a run of really good to decent ones because Sekai literally has nothing to him other than "punch mans," to the point that they had to use stock footage of an earlier part of the episode because they ran out of things to say about him.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 26, 2015

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

bondster posted:

I got some mad Naruto vibes from this fight

Naruto Sekai pulls from his deep chakra particle reserves to summon shadow clones multicolor Gundams to defeat his foe.

Y'know, I was thinking pretty much the same thing, which I'll admit was one of the only things I really enjoyed from post Bridge fight Naruto.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

Sekai is basically Pocoloco from Steel Ball Run except as the protagonist instead of a minor comic relief character and even the animators are getting fed up trying to push him as anything else.

e: like seriously this is probably the worst episode so far after a run of really good to decent ones because Sekai literally has nothing to him other than "punch mans," to the point that they had to use stock footage of an earlier part of the episode because they ran out of things to say about him.
That was wonderfully lazy. It wasnt even a short segment of it, it was the entire loving animation.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Im just hoping that now Junya is dealt with we can leave Sekai for now and focus on Fumina being the actual main characthahahaha of course that's not going to happen, is it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

Im just hoping that now Junya is dealt with we can leave Sekai for now and focus on Fumina being the actual main characthahahaha of course that's not going to happen, is it.

Next Try Fighters fight is Yuuma's day in the sun, like how last fight was Sekai's and the one before ended up being Fumina, and the last one will be a massive 3 episode arc where it's all rendered pointless because of Full Cloth wrecking the poo poo out of The End and Portent, leaving it to be a one on one between Transient and Try Burning.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Like legit though its so loving obvious looking at the show as it is that Fumina is supposed to be the lead, I'm fairly certain that Sekai is only there to keep the manchildren from freaking out over a GIRL main character in their robot show for small children.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They really should have had the entire show just be focused on the Nationals and actually gave built up teams instead of dude + 2 warm bodies.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

It won't happen, but what if China was bullshitting about Sei giving his blessing and she floated the parts to Yuuma behind Sei's back? Like, what was up with that weird shot where she walked up to the airport window while talking about Reiji? And Sei doesn't notice because he's too absorbed in getting Reiji back.

Or introducing a bunch of French kids to Gunpla even though he doesn't know a lick of french.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 26, 2015

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
It's an anime so all the French kids will speak fluent Japanese. Oh sometimes they'll add in the odd French exclamation, but China will new fine.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This episode badly made me want to see Reiji in the Try Burning, preferably equipped with whatever booster Sei would design for the Try Burning. Seeing Reiji do a Stardust Mirage with all the weapons on a theoretical Reiji spec Try Burning would be a thing to see.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Omnicrom posted:

This episode badly made me want to see Reiji in the Try Burning, preferably equipped with whatever booster Sei would design for the Try Burning. Seeing Reiji do a Stardust Mirage with all the weapons on a theoretical Reiji spec Try Burning would be a thing to see.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if the last episode of features Sekai passing down the Try Burning to someone else...such as an enthusiastic young Gunpla Battle fan named Reiji Jr., perhaps.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if the last episode of features Sekai passing down the Try Burning to someone else...such as an enthusiastic young Gunpla Battle fan named Reiji Jr., perhaps.

Sekai wishes so hard for victory that Reiji returns, drastically improving the series with a likeable main protagonist while Sekai is told to go sit quietly in the peanut gallery with the other one-dimensional onlookers.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

It's kind of sad how ever since he unlocked Burning Mode, Sekai has been utterly reliant on the systems Sei created to get anything done. Reiji and the SBS only popped RG mode for the last stretches of their matches, if not the outright final blow, but Sekai seemingly can't do anything without going Burning Burst first. It really feels like, well, that he's a SRW character and he has to trigger his super mode at 130 Will on his way up to 150 for the finisher spam.

It's also kind of weird since BF made it a point that ramping up your gunpla's parameters all at once also means making it much harder to control. Sei even only came up with Speed Discharge and RG Mode because he was absolutely certain Reiji could handle it. Burning Burst should theoretically be pumping the Try Burning to an even higher performance level, but Sekai can still control it anyway because ???

Actually maybe that's what Assimilation is for. I guess Sekai has a flat buff from Burning Burst and a x3 multiplier from Assimilation that also lets him handle the new stats? Talk about overpowered.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sekai wishes so hard for victory that Reiji returns, drastically improving the series with a likeable main protagonist while Sekai is told to go sit quietly in the peanut gallery with the other one-dimensional onlookers.

And then they'd write Reiji identically to Sekai, with everyone constantly praising him as the best and him doing nothing but smiling and punching because they're roundly similar characters and changing the main character isn't going to do anything for the writing, choreography or animation quality of a show. Sekai isn't a problem because he's an inherently bad character - he's a problem because the writing and direction isn't making use of his character and the same would be true of any lead you replaced him with.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Sekai was showing a pretty decent range of emotions in this one, but my favourite was just the really sad look on his face during that last 'connection'. That was the most dangerous sad puppy attack I've ever seen.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Man I just could not bring myself to care about the Junya bits at all, it was all unearned and repetitive. The first time in either season I've ever been compelled to just skip forward through the yelling.

Really hoping the series is done pretending Sekai has individual agency and we can go back to him being the straight man to other people projecting at him, but I know the Academy battle is just going to be full of this bullshit as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Really hoping the series is done pretending Sekai has individual agency and we can go back to him being the straight man to other people projecting at him, but I know the Academy battle is just going to be full of this bullshit as well.

I can't even see how that can happen. Sekai and Wilfried are in complete agreement and want to fight without any bad emotions between them. They've already done it and love being each other's rivals. They don't have anything else to communicate.

I mean that happened with Sei/Reiji and the Meijin too but the first season had a 'villain' in the form of the Chairman who pretty naturally lead up to an evil mind control battle. The closest to villain this season are Junya (who had friendship punched into him) and.... Lucas Nemesis I guess? Who just wants to have a good fight so he's not particularly malicious despite his name.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope Lucas fully embraces his Aila parallel and becomes Sekai's waifu

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I can't even see how that can happen. Sekai and Wilfried are in complete agreement and want to fight without any bad emotions between them. They've already done it and love being each other's rivals. They don't have anything else to communicate.

I mean that happened with Sei/Reiji and the Meijin too but the first season had a 'villain' in the form of the Chairman who pretty naturally lead up to an evil mind control battle. The closest to villain this season are Junya (who had friendship punched into him) and.... Lucas Nemesis I guess? Who just wants to have a good fight so he's not particularly malicious despite his name.

I don't think the nature of this specific fight was the issue, it's making Sekai the focus when his characterization is a flat stereotype and he has no motivation worth empathizing with.

I don't see how that won't be yet another solo duel where he and another character fight a "who's strongest" battle with nothing underlying, cliche dialogue with a bunch of shounen-style heart of the gunpla nonsense, and asspull finishers. I hope it's not, but the show isn't doing a great job here.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Level Slide posted:

I hope Lucas fully embraces his Aila parallel and becomes Sekai's waifu

Would end up just being another addition to the current harem.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

We interrupt this heated discussion over how boring Sekai is to bring you...cute stuff that will make your wallet cry out in pain.

Yes, their stands are little puzzle pieces.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm not happy with the bearguys appropriation of amphibious suit culture.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

I'm not happy with the bearguys appropriation of amphibious suit culture.

And people say I hate fun.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They're only about 5 bucks each. If that makes your wallet cry, you have bigger problems than the cost of plastic models.

Well, assuming you only want one or two, not all of them plus multiples for customs and the various event and webshop exclusive variants that are basically guaranteed.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Five bucks before markup and shipping anyways. :negative:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

Five bucks before markup and shipping anyways. :negative:

If you're paying markup you shouldn't be paying shipping, and vice versa :colbert:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

They're only about 5 bucks each. If that makes your wallet cry, you have bigger problems than the cost of plastic models.

Well, assuming you only want one or two, not all of them plus multiples for customs and the various event and webshop exclusive variants that are basically guaranteed.

If I'm not careful, I'm going to end up with more of these than BlizBlast has Gundam X kits.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Caros posted:

And people say I hate fun.

They're infantilizing our history and struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's absolutely disgusting, and more should be outraged.

• Locked thread