Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Finally broke down and got this game. Wanted to make sure I got the pre-order stuff. Already frustrated that it's not tomorrow yet. Guess I'll just have to bide my time watching Dragonball and thinking about the different Gokus I will make.

i might work late tonight so i can go home early tomorrow and punch mans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
How do you tell if you've learned everything from a given mentor? I got Destructo Disc from Krillen, then he made me make him an Energy capsule and I got a Z Soul from him, and I dunno if I can go suck up to Vegeta yet or not.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Finally broke down and got this game. Wanted to make sure I got the pre-order stuff. Already frustrated that it's not tomorrow yet. Guess I'll just have to bide my time watching Dragonball and thinking about the different Gokus I will make.

congratulations you bought a good game, and a great dragonball game

things that are dumb about the game: why the gently caress does Trunks keep talking, why is it so clunky to teleport between zones, the camera can be dumb sometimes, where the gently caress are my transformations.

things that are excellent about the game: everything else

jivjov posted:

How do you tell if you've learned everything from a given mentor? I got Destructo Disc from Krillen, then he made me make him an Energy capsule and I got a Z Soul from him, and I dunno if I can go suck up to Vegeta yet or not.

If you go to your Play Data in the menu and go to the left you'll find your Masters list, it will show you how far you are with each one.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Evil Canadian posted:

Well the one melee super(which I can't remember the name of) that does the flurry of attacks which you can hold down for extra bar burning is about the best super in the game I have seen so far(of which I have not seen everything to be sure). Beside's that the Recoome Knee seems pretty alright, the damage is good and works as a great combo ender, and has a high chance to give you a buff which ups all your damage.

*ed*

If you do the 2,1,2,1,2 string(assuming that string works mostly the same way between characters/races) and then follow up with recoome kick, not only does the whole thing look cinematic as hell the damage is pretty solid.

Also as for doing the melee string for the same damage and all that, melee supers for combos should be caps to your combo, not done by themselves, either do the move right before the blow-back hit, or find moves with some range with them(like the recoome kick) to compliment the blow-back.

Yeah I'm using the meteor crash and the orin combo as string finishes, and they are just pathetic on damage. Meteor crash just adds a flurry of weak blows (which you can burn ki for more) and then ends with you flipping away to rush in again, orin combo ends with a knockdown that the enemy then spends forever getting up from.

There's utility in the knockdown (using an item/picking up a dragonball while the enemy can't act) but otherwise it's just flashy looking but pointless for useful damage output. Same thing with the strike ultimates, just more low impact combos.

Compared with other characters using ki blasts that take off half my health bar it feels a little cheap and lovely.

jivjov posted:

They tell you, don't worry. It is very obvious. Krillen has one more skill to teach after destructo disc. You can also see on your game data page if you scroll to the second or third page how many mentor missions you've done for that mentor, and you'll also pop a mentor-specific trophy/cheevo when you max out a mentor.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

jivjov posted:

As far as I can tell when they give you their ultimate that is the end of what they have to give you. I finished up with Vegeta and learned final flash then he basically told me to gently caress off and find another mentor.

*ed*

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Yeah I'm using the meteor crash and the orin combo as string finishes, and they are just pathetic on damage. Meteor crash just adds a flurry of weak blows (which you can burn ki for more) and then ends with you flipping away to rush in again, orin combo ends with a knockdown that the enemy then spends forever getting up from.

There's utility in the knockdown (using an item/picking up a dragonball while the enemy can't act) but otherwise it's just flashy looking but pointless for useful damage output. Same thing with the strike ultimates, just more low impact combos.

Compared with other characters using ki blasts that take off half my health bar it feels a little cheap and lovely.

I can tell you straight up, my Ki damage stat is higher than my strike one, and meteor crash held for full does more damage than final flash which is my ultimate. Whatever the enemies are hitting you with has no bearing on what your damage potential is. However I will say if you don't plan to use combos to the fullest with jump/teleport canceling combos for max chains, then strike supers won't be as effective.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 26, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The Adventures of Dumplin 2 is out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Firstborn posted:

The Adventures of Dumplin 2 is out.

http://teamfourstar.com/video/tfs-plays-dragonball-xenoverse-2/

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Strike and Ki moves are meant to be entirely different (another thing I like about the system), Strike moves are meant to be part of combos or combos in themselves so they're not super strong alone but used as part of a bigger flurry of attacks they'll wreck someone's face. Ki moves, on the other hand, are your finisher, knock the poo poo out of someone then blast them with an energy beam as a final 'get the gently caress out of my dojo' move.

Not to say Ki moves are easy mode, they can be dodged super easy, even poo poo like Destructo Disk which is meant to be partially 'homing' and all, so you can't just spam laser blasts, you gotta get guys off balance or stuck somehow if you want to not waste your energy.

This is far from a complex fighter, but I really like that there's a bit more depth than expected.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Eh, gently caress it, preordered plus season pass. YOGO (you only Goku once).

VVV details! What good are they?

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 26, 2015

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Sky Shadowing posted:

Eh, gently caress it, preordered plus season pass. YOGO (you only Goku once).

You get to Goku three more times with season pass.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

You can now preload on Steam.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Game is only 8 gigs? A reasonable size!

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea Strike and Ki moves are meant to be entirely different (another thing I like about the system), Strike moves are meant to be part of combos or combos in themselves so they're not super strong alone but used as part of a bigger flurry of attacks they'll wreck someone's face. Ki moves, on the other hand, are your finisher, knock the poo poo out of someone then blast them with an energy beam as a final 'get the gently caress out of my dojo' move.

Not to say Ki moves are easy mode, they can be dodged super easy, even poo poo like Destructo Disk which is meant to be partially 'homing' and all, so you can't just spam laser blasts, you gotta get guys off balance or stuck somehow if you want to not waste your energy.

This is far from a complex fighter, but I really like that there's a bit more depth than expected.

I like using ki moves to punish people who are expecting you to start an attack string. I'll evade out of their attacks then charge an Evil Explosion instead of meleeing, while they are spamming evade.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 26, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm super on the fence about this game, but I think I'm gonna go ahead and pick it up on steam to get the stupid preorder bonuses like a good consumer whore.

TeamFourStar's dumplin adventures is what is pushing me over the edge.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I did the dumb thing and bought the game twice; I had my Steam game+season pass preorder, but then my boss wanted to be able to play online with me and my housemates wanted will go do Time Patrol, so I bought the Xbone version too...but now I don't have the preorder bonuses on the console, or the season pass...but I've already made progress on that version, so will I really want to switch over to Steam?

At this point, I just hope someone makes a mod of some kind to unlock everything instantly on the PC version so I can use that for just dicking around and have the Xbone version be my actual "here is where I make progress" version.

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Has there been any word at all about the PC Port? Because I'm gonna blow $50 on this game just to make my own Goku.

I am disappointed there's no Dragon Ball stuff, especially since it's a lot better than Dragon Ball Z. Oh, well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RickDaedalus posted:

Has there been any word at all about the PC Port? Because I'm gonna blow $50 on this game just to make my own Goku.

I am disappointed there's no Dragon Ball stuff, especially since it's a lot better than Dragon Ball Z. Oh, well.

There are some costume bits from Dragon Ball characters, plus the Power Pole is coming in one of the DLCs if I remember correctly.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
can't you wish for the power pole?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

RickDaedalus posted:

Dragon Ball Stuff:

Master Shen's crane outfit
Piccolo Sr's Demon Outfit
General Blue's Outfit
Chi-Chi's weird Xena outfit
Power Pole

DLC:

Kid Goku
Power Pole Attacks

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Now Steam is saying it'll unlock in 5 hours...
The date also changed to 26th.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Is the preorder stuff available somewhere in the season pass? I didn't act quickly enough to get a vegeta.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Is this going to be a midnight release on Steam or a noon-the-next-day release? Anyone know?

Just saw the store page, gettin' hype for Gokus.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
The steam page has been updated to say it'll be unlocked at 6pm est. Think this'll stay true, or should I just count on having to wait for tomorrow?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Firstborn posted:

nice!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Firstborn posted:

:stare:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Firstborn posted:

:getin:
:goku:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I also have to go to work in appox. 5 hours. :v:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Firstborn posted:

I also have to go to work in appox. 5 hours. :v:

im off work in approx 5 hours :D

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
gently caress! My plans! In disarray!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Goku waits for no man

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RickDaedalus posted:

You don't get to play any actual Dragon Ball stuff, but there are a lot of acknowledgments, including a NPC that is currently cleaning up the Dragon Ball timestream because theres a giant war between Piccolo Damao/Kami merge, Gero/Red Ribbon, and an invading Babadi. As well as a NPC that uses the transformation technique to turn into a bunch of Dragon Ball characters.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Ahhhhhhh gonna make a GOKU!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm excited about this fact. Now I can play right when I get home from work. I'll have to make a serious character though, as I can't possibly compete with Dumplin.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Ahhhhhhh gonna make a GIRL GOKU!

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Eonwe posted:

im off work in approx 5 hours :D

me too, let's beat guys up together when we get home

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Staring at my old Dragonball Z pencil case while I wait for the pre-load to finish.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Darko posted:

You don't get to play any actual Dragon Ball stuff, but there are a lot of acknowledgments, including a NPC that is currently cleaning up the Dragon Ball timestream because theres a giant war between Piccolo Damao/Kami merge, Gero/Red Ribbon, and an invading Babadi. As well as a NPC that uses the transformation technique to turn into a bunch of Dragon Ball characters.

Make a dlc pack that lets me shank this guy and take his job, please.

This kinda thing, or Heroes style "Babidi makes movie villains into Maiins", or the Venyu Force, is what I want more of.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.
praise goku

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

argh excitement.

I'm just worried about the controls, given japan's track record with simultaneous pc and console releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Now that I've completed the Cell Games (do I need to spoil a 20+ year old franchise?) it seems the game wants me to actually start learning how to play properly. I'm only level 29 and I'm struggling with the four star parallel quests and get murdered in Gohan's alternate quest because I can't bring anyone with me.

Also I wish I could figure out what Hercule gives you as a mentor, because his first attack that you have to spam to unlock more is godawful. Dumped him for the time being to see what Piccolo brings.

• Locked thread