Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Justin_Brett posted:

Even Android 19 is stronger than Gero? Come on, dude.

Android 20, despite being the latest in the line, was clearly the weakest of the bunch. The line peaked with 16, the strongest, purely artificial lifeform, then went downhill from there when he experimented with cybernetics. Cell is a weird one to classify as his original state is worse than 16, but is much greater than any previous model once merging with 17 and, especially, after merging with 18. On the second thought, the line just hit a troth from 16-20, and peaked higher than ever with Cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Covok posted:

I don't know. The same could be said of late DB Goku except for that last part and that last part isn't canon.

I loved that, of all things, Goku is kind of bad at flying. He picks it up last amongst all the main dudes at the end of Dragonball, and relies on the Nimbus until, well until Namek. Either Freeza or Goku even comments in the Freeza fight that Goku isn't really as comfortable fighting in the air as Freeza is, and he much prefers fighting on the ground.

I think aside from Freeza, when there was no ground left, for all DragonBall is iconic for sky punch fights (and beam duels), Toriyama keeps most of the fights on the ground, which is a nice contrast to, say, Bleach where Kubo leaps at any chance for combat to take place in a featureless void.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

I loved that, of all things, Goku is kind of bad at flying. He picks it up last amongst all the main dudes at the end of Dragonball, and relies on the Nimbus until, well until Namek. Either Freeza or Goku even comments in the Freeza fight that Goku isn't really as comfortable fighting in the air as Freeza is, and he much prefers fighting on the ground.

I think aside from Freeza, when there was no ground left, for all DragonBall is iconic for sky punch fights (and beam duels), Toriyama keeps most of the fights on the ground, which is a nice contrast to, say, Bleach where Kubo leaps at any chance for combat to take place in a featureless void.

DBZ filler with endless ineffectual diagonal slashes would be hilarious.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Prison Warden posted:

Doesn't Kubo claim that the featureless void thing is a style or something?

Also, I always took Goku's issue with fighting being the result of the nimbus. He had a method of flying long before people found out how to "just do it" and it stunted his growth with the new method.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
When was the last time Goku even used the Nimbus? The Saiyan saga? What happened to it afterwards? Did Toriyama forget about it (probably)?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't Goku learn to fly by instinct in his fight with Piccolo at the 23rd tournament? He certainly had a moment in the 22nd tournament when he was in danger of going out of bounds and managed to propel himself back in with his breath (or something like that).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Neo_Crimson posted:

When was the last time Goku even used the Nimbus? The Saiyan saga? What happened to it afterwards? Did Toriyama forget about it (probably)?

Pretty sure Gohan used it to get to high school. He could fly, but that'd be kind of a waste you know?

Covok
May 27, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Pretty sure Gohan used it to get to high school. He could fly, but that'd be kind of a waste you know?

Plus, I imagine it's less tiring. Kind of like using a segaway...oh God, the nimbus is the segway of the flying world.

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's not canon, but he used it a lot in the early films, IIRC.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
I don't wanna show my powers, so I will use a magic cloud instead...

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't Goku learn to fly by instinct in his fight with Piccolo at the 23rd tournament? He certainly had a moment in the 22nd tournament when he was in danger of going out of bounds and managed to propel himself back in with his breath (or something like that).

Yeah he did, but this was after every other one of his friends could already do it, and he saw Tienshinhan do it years ago, whereas he picked up how to do a kamehameha in like 3 seconds flat.

It's probably his reliance on the Nimbus, yeah. I think the last time he uses it is flying to the fight with the Saiyans.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Gohan gave Nimbus to Goten once Gohan got his Great Saiyaman costume.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

HGH posted:

Not to undermine her but...
Nappa punched Tien's arm out of existence though.

Just you wait until it grows back!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah he did, but this was after every other one of his friends could already do it, and he saw Tienshinhan do it years ago, whereas he picked up how to do a kamehameha in like 3 seconds flat.

It's probably his reliance on the Nimbus, yeah. I think the last time he uses it is flying to the fight with the Saiyans.

Also I like that they justified the use of the Nimbus there with Goku saying he could fly but he'd need every available scrap of energy to fight the Saiyans.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

For some reason this reminds me of the scene from the final chapter where Trunks gets out of his car in midair because it was too slow.

Trunks. :allears:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Something I've always wondered is if Cell would turn out slightly different by absorbing 18 before 17.

Edit: Also calling it now; any damage done by Beerus or anyone else on that sort of godly level cant be undone by the dragon balls.

Mr.Acula fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 26, 2015

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

He caved and decided to fly after his entire body quit on him.

"Quit" meaning Piccolo crippled every appendage he had to where he was a hunk of torso. So Goku pick that poo poo up and just rammed him at full speed.

That was also the fight where Goku fired a Kamehameha through his feet :v:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Captain Quack posted:

I don't wanna show my powers, so I will use a magic cloud instead...

Gohan, for all of his smarts, is still kind of a dumb hick when it comes to socializing with others. He was raised in the woods by a monkey alien and a woman who lived in the mountains before she moved to the woods.

Him having no idea how strong normal people are was hysterical. Reminds me of that Superman "world of cardboard" thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gohan had possibly the most hosed up childhood in existence. It's honestly remarkable he grew up so well adjusted.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Gohan, for all of his smarts, is still kind of a dumb hick when it comes to socializing with others. He was raised in the woods by a monkey alien and a woman who lived in the mountains before she moved to the woods.

Him having no idea how strong normal people are was hysterical. Reminds me of that Superman "world of cardboard" thing.

To Gohan, a weakling would be Yamcha who's really a superhuman in any fair assessment.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

His closest friend was a 30 something year old bald midget who is one of the 10 strongest people on the planet. All of his friends are superhumans, plus Bulma I guess. Even Chichi is pretty dang strong compared to normal people.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rhonne posted:

Saiyans are just naturally bullet proof.

This was confirmed during the training arc after Goku retrieves Launch with Krillin, both Krillin, Goku and Roshi gets leaded, but while Roshi and Krillin get a bunch of bullet holes in them, they just bounce off Goku. So that was never a trait relevant to his physical strength, just innate toughness of Saiyans.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

ChronoReverse posted:

To Gohan, a weakling would be Yamcha who's really a superhuman in any fair assessment.

Yeah, even the lowliest chump in Freeza's army that can barely fly on his own would be considered freakishly strong compared to any normal earthling.

As has been mentioned multiple times, Mr. Satan is incredibly strong and skilled by real world standards and only looks like a chump because the series compares him to a cast of characters that hopelessly outclass him.

Had he shown up in Dragonball, he probably would have handily beaten everyone short of Goku and Jackie Chun in the series' first Budokai, possibly beating Krillin. Beyond that the series starts escalating to the point that he could never hope to compete without picking up ki manipulation.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zonekeeper posted:

Yeah, even the lowliest chump in Freeza's army that can barely fly on his own would be considered freakishly strong compared to any normal earthling.

As has been mentioned multiple times, Mr. Satan is incredibly strong and skilled by real world standards and only looks like a chump because the series compares him to a cast of characters that hopelessly outclass him.

Had he shown up in Dragonball, he probably would have handily beaten everyone short of Goku and Jackie Chun in the series' first Budokai, possibly beating Krillin. Beyond that the series starts escalating to the point that he could never hope to compete without picking up ki manipulation.

And going by Xenoverse he's certainly capable of doing Ki manipulation if he ever bothered to learn it

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

Gohan had possibly the most hosed up childhood in existence. It's honestly remarkable he grew up so well adjusted.

That's kind of why I like dorky young adult Gohan, because FINALLY he got to chill out for a good portion of his life without someone throwing him head-first into a mountain or something.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ChronoReverse posted:

Gohan could easily blow up the planet before he even really hit puberty, whereas his peers could at most punch a hole in a wall. :v:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Zonekeeper posted:

Not even Krillin, considering he could keep up with Roshi/Chun's super speed even in the 1st tournament arc.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zonekeeper posted:

Keep in mind the turning point for him was being beaten by Tao Pai Pai. Which lead to him pushing hard that Ki and such is trickery and not legitimate. So he was in the upper Echelons of the time.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Zonekeeper posted:

I don't see him beating Pamput, King Chappa or Tao Paipai (but he was technically a weaker Tenshinhan with a badass mode of transport).

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Rudoku posted:

I don't see him beating Pamput, King Chappa or Tao Paipai (but he was technically a weaker Tenshinhan with a badass mode of transport).

I'm talking about the 21st one, with Nam, Bacterian, etc. Once Crane school students and Piccolo get involved in the 22nd and 23rd we're way past Mr. Satan being viable.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Parrotine posted:

"Quit" meaning Piccolo crippled every appendage he had to where he was a hunk of torso.

ALL OF THEM?!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Most recent multiverse page is pretty baller. I actually am kinda wondering if Goku is gonna pull this off or get iced.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
They've set up a joke where Goku and Freeza enter the ring, stand there for a second, and Freeza drops dead. No one will ever know about Goku's epic struggle against the frozen void of time itself.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Testekill posted:

Most recent multiverse page is pretty baller. I actually am kinda wondering if Goku is gonna pull this off or get iced.

They've done a great job of actually making Freeza appear to be a threat, but come on man. This is Goku we're talking about here.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Plus, it would be kind of lame if Goku only lost because Freiza just woke up stronger magically that day because of Santa Buu shenanigans.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I like how his facial hair implies that Goku can never grow a beard. (I think the only Saiyan we've seen with more that a 'stache is King Vegeta, right?)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I remembered Paragus as having a goatee, but nope, just a mustache.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

quote:

On Wednesday, begins a special chapter about Buu from universe 4!

Huh, well the teaser art looks alright, should be interesting to see how Buu ended up eating everyone.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yo, by the way, Xenoverse is great.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Terper posted:

Yo, by the way, Xenoverse is great.

I bought it last night but haven't had the chance to play it yet. Can't wait to do punchmans with some goons on the steam group!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

Behold my stand: SLOW RIDE

it disrupts your perception of time. did that take 10 seconds? or an hour? who fuckin knows
This post over in the JoJo anime thread about Frieza's potential stand made me wonder if Frieza's time shenanigans in DBM are a callback to five minutes taking several episodes back on Namek.

• Locked thread