Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

SkySteak posted:

While we're asking DH questions; what is a good, non cheesy composition for CVs and CVEs? I was thinking Heavy Cruisers with Destroyers but I'm not entirely sure.

15 Carriers, 15 Heavy Cruisers. Don't mix in destroyers or CVEs, you'll end up with a much shorter firing range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Aside from how just plain broken and unfinished it was at release, I've written some pretty big effortposts in the past about how HOI3 doesn't really function as a game.

At one point I had achieved a transcendent state with HoI3. All you Paradox game fans know what I mean, it's when you attain such a grasp of all the current game mechanics that you can look across the UI and know everything that is going on at a glance, you know exactly what to do to achieve the exact outcome you wanted and even know what all the fiddliest little numbers and terms are representing in mechanical terms.

Then I looked across my fronts in the war and realized it was terrible. I stopped playing there.

There have been some expansions since then, which I have purchased on sale. But booting the game up with them I can't manage to bring myself to really get into it now. :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

There are some sore butts in this thread. I did say "a lot"; not "all". Some people do have very good reasoning.

I thought HoI2 was a bad game at release and never got into it, but I dont kneejerk shitpost it every time someone brings it up. I'm going to drop it, though.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Bort Bortles posted:

There are some sore butts in this thread. I did say "a lot"; not "all". Some people do have very good reasoning.

I thought HoI2 was a bad game at release and never got into it, but I dont kneejerk shitpost it every time someone brings it up. I'm going to drop it, though.

Well, at least you got the last word in.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Enjoy posted:

Well, at least you got the last word in.

I mean...we could start a derail if you'd like but its pretty much semantics at this point. I'm not saying others cant post about it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Beamed posted:

My big issue with HoI3 was that some of its DLC was literally broken with the later expansions. It kind of sucked to pay for a product you couldn't use, because you'd also paid for another product.

Like what? All I can think of is that 3rd party German-focused thing not being updated for TFH - but we said it wouldn't be and made a special launcher so you could still launch FTM if you wanted to use it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Aside from how just plain broken and unfinished it was at release, I've written some pretty big effortposts in the past about how HOI3 doesn't really function as a game.

Can you quote some?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Darkrenown posted:

Like what? All I can think of is that 3rd party German-focused thing not being updated for TFH - but we said it wouldn't be and made a special launcher so you could still launch FTM if you wanted to use it.

Yeah, that one and the USA-focused one both; when I last tried TFH which was, to be fair, a couple years ago, it just crashed each time I tried to start either campaign.There was no option in the launcher or anything - and no indication when I was getting the DLC that it was third-party and unsupported.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

To be fair, I've always been more invested in Kaiserreich as a fictional universe than as a game, which probably doesn't speak well in Darkest Hour's favor. I'm really looking forward to rebuilding the mod for Hearts of Iron IV.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think that Kaiserreich does a good job of easing players into the game by keeping wars regional or civil, on top of giving the player a lot more agency in determining the path of their country, but I also think that it could benefit from some way to, after the first half-decade or so, get the remaining powers to congeal into power blocs so that you can't pick off countries one by one and global war starts of its own volition.
At the very least, that congealing of power blocs into bigger alliances would be a good way of adding some later-game stuff to KR. As is it, once the major stuff (ACW, Russia?, Franco-German War) is over there's not much to do, aside from chasing down German colonies if you weren't playing a Mitteleuropa power.

Kaiserreich's world-building is tremendous, but I do have to agree that the actual warfare feels diminished in KR compared to WWII proper, since it's so segmented into smaller, separate conflicts.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Darkrenown posted:

I dunno if this has changed in the ages since I last played hoi3 but my biggest issue with the DLCs is that they didn't work together without knitting the files together yourself, although i was not playing the steam version of the game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The problem I had with HoI3 is that I like to play games optimally. I like to know that I've set my country up as well as I possibly can and that my armies are fighting in the ways I want them to.

In HoI3, you have to set up a massive chain of command and assign leaders to every single division (of which there are hundreds) through a not-particularly-good interface if you want to get an optimally set-up army. You have to move HQ units around all the time to keep them in radio range to their connected units or the units lose their bonuses, and there are tons of HQ units. You also have to protect these HQ units. You have to shuffle brigades around within your divisions, one brigade at a time. There are generally between three and five brigades per division, and hundreds of divisions in your army. Just getting the military organised when starting a new game takes hours, let alone adding extra units you actually chose to build to it. Then it comes to fighting the actual war, and there are tons of provinces for your hundreds of divisions to move through. Advancing becomes a colossal chore.

At some point your resolve to play the game yourself cracks. You don't care enough about the bonuses to assign division leaders manually any more. You let an AI do it. They'll probably make basic mistakes, but who cares? It beats doing it yourself. Later you get tired of moving units. You let an AI do it. You're probably going to lose a few divisions to basic mistakes here and there, but who cares? It beats doing it yourself.

At some point you ask yourself why you're bothering to participate and go back to a game that's actually designed for a human to play.

(Don't let my negativity get you down, HoI devs, 4 looks cool)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Darkest Hour question:

So I have Belgium and the Netherlands. But they won't accept being annexed. How long would I be waiting for an event for their surrender?

Same with France, I have Paris and they have like 50 divisions surrounded on the frontline. I am hammering them from all sides and I will eventually win. When will they surrender? Italy has already joined my alliance (saying France was defeated so .. )

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gort posted:

:words:
At some point you ask yourself why you're bothering to participate and go back to a game that's actually designed for a human to play.

(Don't let my negativity get you down, HoI devs, 4 looks cool)

This. Ask me of an example of a game where the AI has more fun playing than the human and HOI3 is right at the top of the list.

But everything I've seen regarding HOI4 indicates that's been turned completely around.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Ofaloaf posted:

At the very least, that congealing of power blocs into bigger alliances would be a good way of adding some later-game stuff to KR. As is it, once the major stuff (ACW, Russia?, Franco-German War) is over there's not much to do, aside from chasing down German colonies if you weren't playing a Mitteleuropa power.

Kaiserreich's world-building is tremendous, but I do have to agree that the actual warfare feels diminished in KR compared to WWII proper, since it's so segmented into smaller, separate conflicts.

I can't help but feel like Kaiserreich would be better if it was just an online browser based CYOA type thing and not strapped on to Darkest Hour, this WW2-focused Grand Strategy game. It's a bit like... how do I put this... it's like trying to mod Barbie's Horse Ranch to feature an alternate timeline where Ken was murdered and Barbie becomes the leader of partisans in Serbia. The focus of Kaiserreich is just totally different from the focus of DH, and likely HoI4 too- as one of its developers has even said. So really, why not just do a Fallen London type thing if you want to emphasize the worldbuilding? I doubt these WW2 games will ever be very good at the things Kaiserreich seems to want to do the most.

That's the way I see it, at least.

As far as actual gameplay goes, Kaiserreich is riddled with stuff that, while it absolutely makes sense for the world, ultimately makes the game much less interesting to play- stuff like Germany having a shitload of colonies is more or less irrelevant since unlike the British in OTL they are easily invaded and can't keep up an overseas deployment war to take pressure off of the main European action or anything like that, and unlike the Free French they don't have multiple powerful allies backing them up and keeping the war alive. Once the German homeland falls, the colonies doing anything relevant vs France is really just highly, highly unlikely.

I'd argue that Kaiserreich is at its best when you play Bhutan and just kind of watch as the world rolls along, seeing how history unfolds. Actually trying to play the mod is mostly an exercise in boredom.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mans posted:

The North African elephants were used by Carthage, you racist gently caress :colbert:
That might have been a third species entirely, or a more chill sub-species.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Affi posted:

Darkest Hour question:

So I have Belgium and the Netherlands. But they won't accept being annexed. How long would I be waiting for an event for their surrender?

Same with France, I have Paris and they have like 50 divisions surrounded on the frontline. I am hammering them from all sides and I will eventually win. When will they surrender? Italy has already joined my alliance (saying France was defeated so .. )

The Low Countries won't get annexed because they have VP provinces in their colonies. You (or they) should get events eventually where they retreat to their colonies (or where their colonies become independent, can't remember at this exact moment) and you get given their European provinces, or can then annex them.

For France, once you've taken Paris and a substantial amount of the French countryside, they will eventually get an event (maybe a decision? I've never actually played France in DH) where they will capitulate and form Vichy France, and you can take the northern half of the country.

Also, if you have those 50 divisions surrounded without any chance of breaking out, there's no need to keep hammering on them until you eventually win. They have no source of supply (unless the pocket contains the French capital) and so eventually one of two things will happen: either the Vichy event fires and most of those divisions disappear, or they run out of supply and you can beat them with a single division. Either way, you lose a lot less manpower and reinforcement IC than you would by having to actually grind down a 50-stack army.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Beamed posted:

Yeah, that one and the USA-focused one both; when I last tried TFH which was, to be fair, a couple years ago, it just crashed each time I tried to start either campaign.There was no option in the launcher or anything - and no indication when I was getting the DLC that it was third-party and unsupported.

Actually, now that I think more about it, it wasn't a launcher - there was just another exe in your install dir. Bad communications on our part probably made many miss this - I bet it was just a form post. :(

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I dunno if this has changed in the ages since I last played hoi3 but my biggest issue with the DLCs is that they didn't work together without knitting the files together yourself, although i was not playing the steam version of the game.

Really? Do you mean spritepacks or the GER/USA ones mentioned above? I don't remember any issues like that, but it has been a while. The time of non-steam versions was a dire one :negative:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

vyelkin posted:

The Low Countries won't get annexed because they have VP provinces in their colonies. You (or they) should get events eventually where they retreat to their colonies (or where their colonies become independent, can't remember at this exact moment) and you get given their European provinces, or can then annex them.

For France, once you've taken Paris and a substantial amount of the French countryside, they will eventually get an event (maybe a decision? I've never actually played France in DH) where they will capitulate and form Vichy France, and you can take the northern half of the country.

Also, if you have those 50 divisions surrounded without any chance of breaking out, there's no need to keep hammering on them until you eventually win. They have no source of supply (unless the pocket contains the French capital) and so eventually one of two things will happen: either the Vichy event fires and most of those divisions disappear, or they run out of supply and you can beat them with a single division. Either way, you lose a lot less manpower and reinforcement IC than you would by having to actually grind down a 50-stack army.

Alright. Good.

And yeah. I just figured I didn't want the surrounded divisions to break free. I mean. They can still attack without supply right?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Affi posted:

Alright. Good.

And yeah. I just figured I didn't want the surrounded divisions to break free. I mean. They can still attack without supply right?

They can attack without supply but will be at a severe disadvantage, and as long as they don't have supply they will lose organization and strength daily. Once they reach 0 org, you can beat them with a single division no matter how many troops they have.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That might have been a third species entirely, or a more chill sub-species.

Actually the reason African elephants are so belligerent is that they are haunted by the legacy of Roman aggression and will never let what happened to Carthage happen again.

An elephant never forgets.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sweet, El Dorado is out just in time for the weekend.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Darkrenown posted:

Really? Do you mean spritepacks or the GER/USA ones mentioned above? I don't remember any issues like that, but it has been a while. The time of non-steam versions was a dire one :negative:

I think it was the GER/USA ones but it was a long time ago and with the gamergate version so the complaint probably isn't valid anymore.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

GamersGate. I don't want a legitimately good retailer to be associated with those fuckers.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I remember buying one HoI3 expansion off there and it was the worst poo poo trying to get it to work with my Steam version.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
HoI3 was from the good old preck2 days when Paradox games were utterly broken at release and it took many patches and expansions for the concept to come together. Even when that was all done, it's still not very good. It's like spending all day trying to get something to work right then you don't like it when it does. Sure, the frustration of the release shouldn't be held against it now, but it's still not nearly compelling enough to convince me to put down Darkest Hour.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Gort posted:

I remember buying one HoI3 expansion off there and it was the worst poo poo trying to get it to work with my Steam version.

They sell steam codes for Paradox games now, so it's all good.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Honestly, what the gently caress am I doing wrong in Victoria 2: HOD? Played as Nejd and managed to form Arabia and took over the entire Arabian Peninsula. I can only field 2 brigades. Attrition killed most of my brigades because as soon as I stepped outside my borders with a stack larger than 1 they immediately started taking hits and pushed the pop to <1000. I can't figure out how to get the population back up. I have a bunch of different pops of infentisemal size with a few largish ones that are around 600 - 800. Remarkably these pops are actually shrinking month over month. I've maxed out sliders, I've played around with taxes, I've lowered tariffs, and I can't figure out why my soldiers keep 'promoting' to farmers. The tool tip says they aren't getting their everyday needs because there isn't enough everything on the market. I can't figure out how to get them more of what they need so they can pick up a loving gun.

Edit: I should specify what game I'm playing.

Testikles fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 27, 2015

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Viral Warfare posted:

Barbie's Horse Ranch to feature an alternate timeline where Ken was murdered and Barbie becomes the leader of partisans in Serbia.
:tito:

:10bux:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Testikles posted:

Honestly, what the gently caress am I doing wrong in Victoria 2: HOD? Played as Nejd and managed to form Arabia and took over the entire Arabian Peninsula. I can only field 2 brigades. Attrition killed most of my brigades because as soon as I stepped outside my borders with a stack larger than 1 they immediately started taking hits and pushed the pop to <1000. I can't figure out how to get the population back up. I have a bunch of different pops of infentisemal size with a few largish ones that are around 600 - 800. Remarkably these pops are actually shrinking month over month. I've maxed out sliders, I've played around with taxes, I've lowered tariffs, and I can't figure out why my soldiers keep 'promoting' to farmers. The tool tip says they aren't getting their everyday needs because there isn't enough everything on the market. I can't figure out how to get them more of what they need so they can pick up a loving gun.

Edit: I should specify what game I'm playing.

That's the manpower = POPs thing. It's a cool mechanic for bigger nations but it really gimps small ones like you've found. I recommend you edit the soldier pop file so that they move to their state capital like bureaucrats.

Go to Steam\steamapps\common\victoria 2\poptypes (or whatever the installation directory is), open soldiers.txt, and add this line after strata = poor
state_capital_only = yes

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Enjoy posted:

That's the manpower = POPs thing. It's a cool mechanic for bigger nations but it really gimps small ones like you've found. I recommend you edit the soldier pop file so that they move to their state capital like bureaucrats.

Go to Steam\steamapps\common\victoria 2\poptypes (or whatever the installation directory is), open soldiers.txt, and add this line after strata = poor
state_capital_only = yes

This is a good, legit fix. Also keep in mind you're playing as one of the weakest countries in terms of population. You gotta work with what you have, try getting some colonial manpower to back up your main troops.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
More DH questions.

Or rather event related questions. I just invaded Yugoslavia because they broke the tripartite pact. Is their surrender event driven as well? It's late-ish 1939 and i'm feeling good. Now to just build up a boatload of armor and mech and airplanes to take on the russians. I'm thinking of invading spring 41? That gives me a whole year to upgrade troops and build up. Right?

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
1941 is a good year and you'll want to keep an eye on the weather and strike when the mud is clearing up, preferably sooner than Barbarossa historically launched (6/22).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Viral Warfare posted:

I'd argue that Kaiserreich is at its best when you play Bhutan and just kind of watch as the world rolls along, seeing how history unfolds. Actually trying to play the mod is mostly an exercise in boredom.

I completely disagree. I'd rather play the USA (or CSA or AUS) in Kaiserreich a million times over than play the USA in Darkest Hour.

Admittedly, I'm going to be done with the game by about 1938, but that's also why I enjoy playing Nationalist China in Darkest Hour: the war starts pretty much immediately.

(Yes, I could fix that with a different scenario, I admit).

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just the american civil war seems very interesting. At least multiplayer. That way you can have people competing over arguably the most powerful nation in the world. And other players supporting "their" side.

Just did a DH multiplayer game. We did 1914 and I was Germany and one dude picked GB and another Russia. That was an intense few months. I had a bit more experience with DH then the Russian player and after a few months I had surrounded and destroyed maybe a third of his divisions. He was sitting right across me and I was jokingly rubbing it in. "Oh I see another pocket forming over in Lithuania! How are you going to survive without those 18 divisions?"

In this game there was nothing new on the western front as France battered helplessly at my defensive wall. I had picked to only fight France and the front was small small small. So I had relocated maybe thirty divisions to the eastern war instead.

(I also had command over Austria-Hungary and their divisions)

So Russia was losing, France was deadlocked and losing hundreds of thousands more soldiers then I was. What did the dude who played GB do? Messed around with his fleet. Asked stupid questions. And before christmas had landed 20 divisons in an unguarded Kiel. Marched on Berlin and had taken it in two weeks. Home before christmas.

I tried relocating divisions from the french front, but they would be there too late, dissent was high and I pulled a few from the eastern front aswell. That made the russians smell blood.

So in the end I had lost almost everything before christmas. And I was off to such a good start.

(Now why Kiel and indeed all of my ocean provinces were unguarded? Well I though the brittish player was really bad at the game and wouldn't be able to figure out ambhibious landings)

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Affi posted:

(Now why Kiel and indeed all of my ocean provinces were unguarded? Well I though the brittish player was really bad at the game and wouldn't be able to figure out ambhibious landings)

Anyone with the internet can google amphibious assault.

:effort:

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Kavak posted:

15 Carriers, 15 Heavy Cruisers. Don't mix in destroyers or CVEs, you'll end up with a much shorter firing range.

To be honest, that's probably more effort than is needed.
Just slap torpedoes on all your ships, build some naval bombers, and maybe do a run of CL or DD with torpedoes, and you'll keep the Channel clear.
The AI is horrible at using its fleets. It never adds torpedo attachments, so that alone gives you a naval attack advantage. It also tends to split its ships up and keeps them scattered. In my current Germany game, I sank over a dozen assorted British ships (including BC, BB, and a CV or two) just by parking the starting Kriegsmarine + ships under construction at the start off Plymouth. All my ships had fully upgraded attachments.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Affi posted:

Oh god. There are only like three of them, and a single division will hold for ages since amphibious tech is terrible in the WW1 scenario.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Plus, your 1914 Germany. You have enough of a navy to contest the landings. Where was you fleet?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

nothing to seehere posted:

Plus, your 1914 Germany. You have enough of a navy to contest the landings. Where was you fleet?

Much like how a Tiger's natural habitat is mud, the German navy's natural habitat is Wilhelmshaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Luigi Thirty posted:

Much like how a Tiger's natural habitat is mud, the German navy's natural habitat is Wilhelmshaven.

Or in my SP game. The med.

• Locked thread