Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Muddy Burphy posted:

I wonder how much WWE being bad hurts Dave and Bryan's business.

They do their best business around big news items. I don't know if really the content of WWE has much to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i listened to some of their 2001 radio shows a while back, and they were concerned that the end of WCW would put them out of business, lol.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

They do their best business around big news items. I don't know if really the content of WWE has much to do with it.

Right, but there has to be a point where if things got really bad for WWE it would hurt them.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The kind of fan who pays to listen to Bryan and Dave is probably not the kind who is so invested in WWE that the product being lousy recently makes them no longer interested in hearing anything about wrestling ever.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

WWE news is actually more interesting when the product's bad and we get good Dave rants and reports about guys being pissed off anyway.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Muddy Burphy posted:

Right, but there has to be a point where if things got really bad for WWE it would hurt them.

What you have to worry about is WWE somehow becoming completely boring backstage. As long as there are people flipping out about contracts, getting sued about lumps on their rear end, etc., they will be fine.

Luckily wrestling is a carny business and they can't help but be hilarious.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Great White Hope posted:

The kind of fan who pays to listen to Bryan and Dave is probably not the kind who is so invested in WWE that the product being lousy recently makes them no longer interested in hearing anything about wrestling ever.

Bingo. I'd liken it a lot more to a trade publication or like how film critics view Sight and Sound rather than a fanzine.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Unless really bad means WWE goes away entirely and isn't replaced, meaning that the business as a whole is effectively dead, WON will probably be fine. They've weathered really bad periods of WWE before, and thrived in them.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

Thauros posted:

WWE news is actually more interesting when the product's bad and we get good Dave rants and reports about guys being pissed off anyway.

Yeah I find everyone's angry rants hilarious tbh, I cut out Raw & SD but listen so I still know what's going on. Also I love hearing them get brighter and happier whenever a review of NJPW or NXT happens.
It can get repetitive at times but hell I'm used to tuning that out with JR's constant ranting on ten counts and intergender matches exposing the business every week.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Germ Incubator posted:

Yeah I find everyone's angry rants hilarious tbh, I cut out Raw & SD but listen so I still know what's going on. Also I love hearing them get brighter and happier whenever a review of NJPW or NXT happens.
It can get repetitive at times but hell I'm used to tuning that out with JR's constant ranting on ten counts and intergender matches exposing the business every week.

JR's rants on the intergender matches are really shallow arguments. "Women are weaker than men" you ain't doing childbirth or menstruating, dipshit.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Women are weaker than men is technically true, but Daniel Bryan is weaker than Roman Reigns and it doesn't expose the business if he kicks his rear end in a wrestling match

alternately, make Mark Henry world champ

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Marquis de Pyro posted:

But Mark Henry lost a lot of weight and is therefore no longer the world's strongest man

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Women are weaker than men is technically true, but Daniel Bryan is weaker than Roman Reigns and it doesn't expose the business if he kicks his rear end in a wrestling match

Brock Lesnar enshrined as eternal champion of WWE.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

At least Cornette says he dislikes it because he thinks violence against women is distasteful to go along with the "well if a 120 pound girl beats up a 200 pound guy who's going to take the guy seriously anymore :bahgawd:" argument everyone else has, which makes him 0.001 more progressive than the rest I guess

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Korelle posted:

i would watch him crush the whole roster but only that

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

coconono posted:

JR's rants on the intergender matches are really shallow arguments. "Women are weaker than men" you ain't doing childbirth or menstruating, dipshit.

Someone ranted at Brandon Stroud about this, who mentioned that at the end of the day if you can accept a smaller guy like Rey Mysterio beating someone, then why not a woman? As long as she wrestles well then there shouldn't be a problem.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

Someone ranted at Brandon Stroud about this, who mentioned that at the end of the day if you can accept a smaller guy like Rey Mysterio beating someone, then why not a woman? As long as she wrestles well then there shouldn't be a problem.

Magic zombie Cowboys, masked horror movie villains with pyrokinesis, the ghost of a swamp man in a lantern, multiple vampires, and an actual boogeyman is ok but damnit who the hell is gonna accept a woman beating a man at fake wrestling?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

WeaponX posted:

Magic zombie Cowboys, masked horror movie villains with pyrokinesis, the ghost of a swamp man in a lantern, multiple vampires, and an actual boogeyman is ok but damnit who the hell is gonna accept a woman beating a man at fake wrestling?

People get very strangely specific about what they'll accept over what they won't. It's odd what they'll justify.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

DrVenkman posted:

People get very strangely specific about what they'll accept over what they won't. It's odd what they'll justify.

Yeah, I've seen people on this very board make the "Undertaker only works because they keep it vague enough that you can mentally justify the whole act being mindgames and smoke and mirrors" argument. Some people just have hard limits.

Me, I grew up on a dozen fighting game franchises where the girls are the best characters and I can use them to beat the crap out of the more traditional male protagonist Archtypes. Which is why I kept waiting for Brie to hit Kane with her facebuster during the Extreme Rules feud even though I logically knew they wouldn't let her.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Korelle posted:

That's a totally sensible and worthwhile idea though

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Amazing if they re-signed Brock and Brock just beat Reigns. :allears:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

LordPants posted:

Amazing if they re-signed Brock and Brock just beat Reigns. :allears:

If Brock did beat Reigns... Could we dare to dream Sami Zayn or Finn Balor would be their new choice for The Guy?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DrVenkman posted:

Rey Mysterio often didn't work out against larger wrestlers and had to be carefully booked in those scenarios. One of the reasons he cooled off a year into his WCW run was they started putting him with bigger guys with little thought to how they booked it. Rey worked best with people who weren't too much bigger than him. You are taking something that was tricky with a man and adding in all of the social factors that make a man fighting a woman incredibly uncomfortable. Add in the reality that men compete with men and women compete with women in sports due to physical differences and you get your problems.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Luigi Thirty posted:

At least Cornette says he dislikes it because he thinks violence against women is distasteful to go along with the "well if a 120 pound girl beats up a 200 pound guy who's going to take the guy seriously anymore :bahgawd:" argument everyone else has, which makes him 0.001 more progressive than the rest I guess

WWE is pretty hesitant do to any sort of violence against women from men. Go back and let's magically replace Orton getting beaten and kicked out of the Authority with Stephanie having that done to her. People would have lost their loving minds, even if Stephanie would have been shown to be as excellent a performer as Orton.

One of the big issues in womens rights is still domestic abuse, and until that is no longer the case, I wouldn't show anything on TV that even came close to seeming like that. If I was a writer and someone asked me to write a wrestling storyline where a girl was feuding with a guy, you'd see a comedy segment every week because you write the wrong thing once and you'll have advertisers and special interest groups up your rear end in no time.

So I agree with Cornette that I find it distasteful, but ignoring that and the size/strength argument that doesn't make sense, I would avoid an intergender storyline/match purely for hell it could bring back on me from viewers and sponsors.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Dave has said point blank that he was scared in 2001 that the death of WCW would eventually mean the end of the Observer, not due to fan interest falling below a level that could sustain his business, but because without multiple viable promotions, the next WWE downswing could actually kill the entire pro wrestling business on a national level.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

If Brock did beat Reigns... Could we dare to dream Sami Zayn would be their new choice for The Guy?

No

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

PaybackJack posted:

WWE is pretty hesitant do to any sort of violence against women from men. Go back and let's magically replace Orton getting beaten and kicked out of the Authority with Stephanie having that done to her. People would have lost their loving minds, even if Stephanie would have been shown to be as excellent a performer as Orton.

One of the big issues in womens rights is still domestic abuse, and until that is no longer the case, I wouldn't show anything on TV that even came close to seeming like that. If I was a writer and someone asked me to write a wrestling storyline where a girl was feuding with a guy, you'd see a comedy segment every week because you write the wrong thing once and you'll have advertisers and special interest groups up your rear end in no time.

So I agree with Cornette that I find it distasteful, but ignoring that and the size/strength argument that doesn't make sense, I would avoid an intergender storyline/match purely for hell it could bring back on me from viewers and sponsors.

or replace Cena at Summerslam with Charlotte. Just getting suplexed over and over again as she flails weakly and can't even mount an offense on the muscle mountain that's just brutally destroying her. I percieve that PSP would absolutely consider Charlotte equal to John Cena in this case, and not be more or less horrified by lesnars brutal showing. Or, more likely, people would go "What the gently caress WWE?!" and talk about how it perpetuated violence against women.

It's all fun and games until it's time to eat 16 suplexes from Brock Lesnar.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

Rey Mysterio often didn't work out against larger wrestlers and had to be carefully booked in those scenarios. One of the reasons he cooled off a year into his WCW run was they started putting him with bigger guys with little thought to how they booked it. Rey worked best with people who weren't too much bigger than him. You are taking something that was tricky with a man and adding in all of the social factors that make a man fighting a woman incredibly uncomfortable. Add in the reality that men compete with men and women compete with women in sports due to physical differences and you get your problems.

I'd imagine there were a lot of bad booking decisions during his time at wcw besides just putting him against bigger guys that would have cooled Rey off but I'm just guessing

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MassRafTer posted:

The best was when Rey's gimmick was "Being small" and people would freak out about losing to him because he was so small, and he was presented as the underdog who never gave up. But then again, he was wrestling guys like Angle, and Benoit and Eddie meaning there wasn't a huge size difference.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Rey is literally so short he can't hit the top rope when running the ropes. He was still plenty short next to Angle and Eddie.

EDIT: edited to make it sound less like Rey died.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Observer website posted:

A multiple person IC title ladder match, similar to the old Money in the Bank match, has been added to WrestleMania.

The participants have not yet been announced, aside from champion Bad News Barrett, but among those in the running would include Dean Ambrose, R-Truth, Dolph Ziggler and Daniel Bryan.
Is there really nothing better than this for Ambrose or Bryan? It's even worse than I thought.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It's the 6th biggest match on the card. Arguably 7th after the battle royal.

Orton vs. Rollins is the worst major match. Vince's eternal faith in Orton is sad. Am I wrong or is Rollins vs. Bryan in front of the Mania crowd one of the very few times they could get heat from beating Bryan rather than negativity? A win against Orton means nothing and Bryan will probably lose his match anyway.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Onmi posted:

or replace Cena at Summerslam with Charlotte. Just getting suplexed over and over again as she flails weakly and can't even mount an offense on the muscle mountain that's just brutally destroying her. I percieve that PSP would absolutely consider Charlotte equal to John Cena in this case, and not be more or less horrified by lesnars brutal showing. Or, more likely, people would go "What the gently caress WWE?!" and talk about how it perpetuated violence against women.

It's all fun and games until it's time to eat 16 suplexes from Brock Lesnar.

I think this is a very valid point. Its different on the indies where the size differential isn't that great between guys and ladies. WWE's record with booking women sanely at all is abysmal.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It's the 6th biggest match on the card. Arguably 7th after the battle royal.

Orton vs. Rollins is the worst major match. Vince's eternal faith in Orton is sad. Am I wrong or is Rollins vs. Bryan in front of the Mania crowd one of the very few times they could get heat from beating Bryan rather than negativity? A win against Orton means nothing and Bryan will probably lose his match anyway.

Or, you know, an actual proper finish to the Rollins/Ambrose feud that was one of the best things they had going before the loving hologram popped up.

Instead they filled Dean's spot with Orton, and even hosed that up on Monday.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

coconono posted:

I think this is a very valid point. Its different on the indies where the size differential isn't that great between guys and ladies. WWE's record with booking women sanely at all is abysmal.

Yeah, and keeping with my example Cornette was talking about it on his podcast and he said that he hates it normally because of the size difference but he can totally buy someone like Awesome Kong being able to beat your average indie geek and doesn't think there's a problem with it in that case because she's just so naturally big and powerful. It's all about the audience's perception in his view.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 27, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, and keeping with my example Cornette was talking about it on his podcast and he said that he hates it normally because of the size difference but he can totally buy someone like Awesome Kong being able to beat your average indie geek and doesn't think there's a problem with it in that case because she's just so naturally big and powerful. It's all about the audience's perception in his view.

With Awesome Kong she's not even that big against most men so if you do that run you kill some of her mystique like they did in TNA when they had her team with Road Dogg and she looked tiny.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

With Awesome Kong she's not even that big against most men so if you do that run you kill some of her mystique like they did in TNA when they had her team with Road Dogg and she looked tiny.

One great piece of booking was that Kong's WWE debut was to destroy Michelle McCool, but McCool is really tall, (taller than Kong, iirc) so to make sure Kong still looked like a monster, McCool never stood up. She just stayed on her knees and gazed up in terror at this debuting behemoth.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Konnan and Court Bauer did a breaking news MLW that's uploading tonight. Betting it will have a ton of word on Rey Mysterio.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Daniel Bryan posted:

Konnan and Court Bauer did a breaking news MLW that's uploading tonight. Betting it will have a ton of word on Rey Mysterio.

guessing its the AAA/Lucha Underground signing they've been hinting on. Expect Konnan to get sued by WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

No news on MLW other than Rey on the live podcast the Thursday before WM31.
http://www.walemania.com/

Konnan can't say anything about the AAA press conference.

• Locked thread