Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Oh yay, John Cena is the next RTG card in Supercard. And as an added bonus I have no need for any of the lower cards except as fusion fodder. But since Cena will definitely out-perform RTG Reigns & Barrett he's going to be the new hotness on 3 person KOTR teams for the next 2 weeks or more.

On the good news front my first survivor fusion card finished yesterday and it was Nikki which will help out my RTG Diva team immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I love playing that Montreal Screwjob TEW scenario just to see the different ways the AI books Wrestlemania XIV.

In my current game, HBK beats Ahmed in the main event to retain the WWF Title and then retires.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Nota bene about Evolved Daniel Bryan: he loses all his passive stacks when you tag him out. Little disappointing.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

triplexpac posted:

I love playing that Montreal Screwjob TEW scenario just to see the different ways the AI books Wrestlemania XIV.

In my current game, HBK beats Ahmed in the main event to retain the WWF Title and then retires.

For me HBK beat Trips at Mania and then retired. Kane wins the vacant title at Unforgiven by beating Shamrock, retaining against Hawk on a throw-away RAW, retaining against Rock at Over the Edge and has now plunged into a feud with JJ. Suffice to say, Kane has not been a success as champ with his best match rated at a 78.

Meanwhile in WCW things have stayed stable outside of the US championship. Sting beat Perfect for it and held it for three months, Booker T won it at Spring Stampede in a pretty good match then dropped it to Luger the night afterwards.

EDIT: And then Hogan drops the world title on Nitro to Sting because why not.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 24, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
My new favourite thing on TEW is to abolish Face/Heel divides. It gives you so much more freedom, not having to worry that your match rating will suffer if you go F/F or H/H. It's not as big a deal of you're a company like WCW or WWF with 80 people on your roster, but when you are trying to run a small company it gives you a lot more flexibility.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sasha banks just tweeted that she got scanned for 2k16 so let the previous lovely game discussion end and let the hype cycle begin anew

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Obtained my first set of 3-stars in Immortals: Brock, HHH, and Bellas. Luckily I use all of those! Brock's is super fun too, I love spamming his ground and pound for splash damage plus a team heal plus crit chance plus gently caress you I'm Brock Lesnar and I ended the Undertaker's streak.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Has anyone else had this problem with Immortals?

When I skip past the intro cutscene the game crashes to iOS springboard. I tried deleting the game and re-installing which worked for a bit, but now it's doing it again. Not sure what's causing this?

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

epitasis posted:

sasha banks just tweeted that she got scanned for 2k16 so let the previous lovely game discussion end and let the hype cycle begin anew
I know we thought the last eight games were going to be good and they all sucked, but come on guys, this year it's going to be great and if you don't pre-order you're stupid and if you dare say this game falls anywhere below expectations you are actually Hitler.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

TEW question: Does the Open Match tag have an effect on match rating? I know it makes the momentum lost/gained by the wrestlers involved lower, but does it automatically depress a match rating like Keep Strong, Protect and Dominate do? Or does it have no effect? Or even make the match better, since it means both guys get their full offense on display.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think it depends on the matchup. Like a 4-5 minute Rusev vs Ryder match will be better if you let Rusev dominate. Then it's just a showcase for Rusev where if you make it open it will just be a nothing match and probably get a lower rating. If you do Rusev vs Ziggler at 8 minutes now maybe you have more time to develop the match and tell a story but there's always the possibility Ziggler might show Rusev up or they might clash or their might not be enough psychology or something. But if you're booking a 15 minute match between Ziggler and Cesaro then an open match should theoretically just be both guys wrestling their best match and getting the best rating (presuming the other tags are right).

But it all depends on the purpose of the match, the overness and momentum of the participants, what each guy can do, what their strengths are. Like, if you stick a midcard technician with good momentum in there with an opener comedy wrestler with low momentum and give them 10 minutes of even action it might be a disaster. But if you do the same thing with two evenly matched people it might score huge.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I didn't know the answer to this question so I decided to book a card with multiple 'open match' matches.
I still don't quite know the answer to the question.
I know that most of the matches I cited as being 'open' got the {+}: This segment got a bonus for being well booked.
So if I had to hazard a guess I'd say it is a contributing factor in the quality of the match, it probably won't hurt the match unless one of the guys is a Great Khali/Kurgan type.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

pressedbunny posted:

I know we thought the last eight games were going to be good and they all sucked, but come on guys, this year it's going to be great and if you don't pre-order you're stupid and if you dare say this game falls anywhere below expectations you are actually Hitler.

'12, '13' and 2K14 were all fine games.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I never really thought about it but why did 2K think anyone would want to buy a couple of nonsensical, unmemorable stories from a few years ago? Especially the Christian one, which never begins to make any sense.

Also WWE 12 had the worst story mode in a WWE game ever and 13 would have been fine without the pinfall bug that otherwise ruined the game.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Warrior's showcase will at least be interesting.

Christian and Mark Henry's was meh at best.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

12 was not very good, 13 I skipped, 14 is probably the best WWE game in 11 years even with its flaws. And for that matter it's pretty rich to whine about the console games being bad and wonder why are we talking about them when you can watch people in this thread slowly realize that they made a mistake by getting into mobile games. I really wish the threads would split up because I and I sense several other people don't give two shits about the mobile games, but oh well.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

12 was not very good, 13 I skipped, 14 is probably the best WWE game in 11 years even with its flaws. And for that matter it's pretty rich to whine about the console games being bad and wonder why are we talking about them when you can watch people in this thread slowly realize that they made a mistake by getting into mobile games. I really wish the threads would split up because I and I sense several other people don't give two shits about the mobile games, but oh well.

12 and 13 just weren't actually fun, gameplay-wise. They're good in the context of each other and '11, I guess.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I hired Big Daddy V in my 1998 ECW game, and I've gotten him pretty over by booking nothing but squashes.

I'm booking Bam Bam in squashes as well, building up to two fat guys running at each other for 8 minutes.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I liked 11. It had that great physics engine that made ever match that had a weapon amazing.

Also how did those squashes get in terms of ratings? Whenever I do squashes they do some pretty terrible ratings.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

iirc domination matches don't help the winner unless they have really good menace (?), it's the sort of thing where you think "oh, this will get my new monster heel over" but it actually hurts everyone. Just give them a regular match and a beatdown segment at the end.

With my forum TEW game I've found that it's very cheesy but very effective to create a storyline featuring a heel, his manager, and a bunch of jobbers with no future. Don't align the manager with the heel - every segment in which the manager talks for him, he'll get a slight in-storyline boost (there are several default angles that include storyline shifts where aligned characters wouldn't receive them so I assume this is accepted practice on some level). Then you have your heel go over the jobbers and get beatdown segments afterward. In a few weeks you'll have some buried jobbers but a heel primed to rocket up in momentum.

The tricky thing is that since the matches and angles featuring jobbers will drag segment ratings down and with them, the heat of the storyline, you can't use it to anchor a promotion (where you'd need C- heat storylines or get penalized, etc). But storyline heat only matters for that purpose. When you end a storyline, worker momentum changes aren't affected by it. Your guy won't get all that over during the run of the program but once he's out of it, he'll be ready to take on bigger fish and start climbing the ranks. It's basically the TEW equivalent of debuting Brock to gently caress up Spike Dudley and Al Snow for no reason.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 26, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

GenericMartini posted:

I liked 11. It had that great physics engine that made ever match that had a weapon amazing.

Also how did those squashes get in terms of ratings? Whenever I do squashes they do some pretty terrible ratings.

Squash matches are pretty reliant on a characters menace when you're trying to get a monster over. On the other hand, the squashee needs to have good basics and selling.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

triplexpac posted:

I hired Big Daddy V in my 1998 ECW game, and I've gotten him pretty over by booking nothing but squashes.

I'm booking Bam Bam in squashes as well, building up to two fat guys running at each other for 8 minutes.

In one of the PS3 WWE games, from a few years ago (at least 4+ years ago) I managed to book Viscera in the main event of Wrestlemania. Just Viscera. By himself. In the main event.

It was a hell in the cell match.

Not Viscera vs Viscera. Just one Viscera in his own match.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Who Gotch Ya posted:

In one of the PS3 WWE games, from a few years ago (at least 4+ years ago) I managed to book Viscera in the main event of Wrestlemania. Just Viscera. By himself. In the main event.

It was a hell in the cell match.

Not Viscera vs Viscera. Just one Viscera in his own match.

stuck :(

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Something about the framing on Jimmy Uso's fusion card makes him look so fat, I momentarily thought he was Umaga when I first saw it

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Current RtG Cena looks like he's suffering some existential anguish

Or maybe he's just not a fan of his current merch

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's like the Mona Lisa. Or Cena just had a stroke.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

They should have used a still of him looking mopey on Raw a few weeks back

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I wish there was a way in TEW to make companies more likely to cut guys. I would love to scoop up some WWE castoffs, but it feels like they never fire anyone or let any contracts expire.

Sourpuss
Mar 18, 2007

Chomb Chomb Chomb

triplexpac posted:

I wish there was a way in TEW to make companies more likely to cut guys. I would love to scoop up some WWE castoffs, but it feels like they never fire anyone or let any contracts expire.

The trick is to add the entire wee roster to your shortlist then you get emails when you can approach

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Does it sim backstage incidents for AI feds? The only way I'd see financially hale feds dropping workers is by their developing a dislike of either the booker or owner.

Current-day real-world mods and the game's algorithms don't play well together. The WWE essentially cannot lose, at least in the absence of something like the entire US randomly gaining a passionate demand for puro.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

triplexpac posted:

You can reduce the expected roster size of WWE. That would lead to them cutting bait with people. It would probably just be developmental wrestlers and jobbers at first but it really just depends on how much you cut the size by.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Does it sim backstage incidents for AI feds? The only way I'd see financially hale feds dropping workers is by their developing a dislike of either the booker or owner.
Yeah. If you watch the news section you'll see stuff about guys walking out or no showing or making new relationships. You won't see the "somebody farted loud" kind of stories you see in your backstage but you see the significant consequences.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

triplexpac posted:

It's not quite as good as the WWE outright releasing them but if you shortlist everybody you're interested in grabbing you'll get an e-mail when they're in the last month of their contract and can be negotiated with. Then you can either throw a dumptruck of money at them or at the very least run up the price the competition has to pay. I have a huge amount of guys on my shortlist for this exact reason.

Edit: oops, didn't see that somebody already made this exact point.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah, I do the shortlist thing and it's alright. But as a smaller company I can't really compete with WWF head-to-head signing someone. I just wish the game would simulate the "guy gets fired from WWE, has to make the rounds on the indies" experience.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Going up against the WWE is also hard because the biggest non-WWE american talent won't go anywhere save for national-level feds, which means most of them will sit in unemployment once their TNA contracts run out. Getting the top is a long, hard road of building up your own talent and not getting squashed by the WWE once they notice you. At least once you reach Cult level you can start offering no-compete contracts to your most over guys.

I know the utility of Exclusive PPA contracts was brought up already - their real use is in locking down Chris Hero or Colt Cabana or any indie main eventers who see enough action from the 1,000 feds that want them that they'll inevitably wear themselves out. You lose out on the modest overness gains they'd make working in other territories but you substantially decrease the risk of their becoming injured and loving over your card

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 28, 2015

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright, questions for the users of Captain Charisma's modern day mod(s).

1) Does it seem like the AI cheats to you? I have a decent roster and I've booked them fairly well, but I struggle to get even my Main Eventers onto the top #100 of the TEW 500 at the end of the year while guys I basically threw away are on the top 10. If I get a show between 80-85% that's amazing while feds with practically no roster to speak of have gotten 90+. I'm fairly close to going international but regional/cult companies like Ice Ribbon and Chikara are ranked above me. (I think I've figured out this one: they have shows on global internet TV; youtube/ustream etc which while small, apparently have given them enough global exposure to be at 50+ popularity the world over).

2) if anybody has gone a long time (10+ years) into this another question; do the guys that the computer randomly generates have any chance of being as good as the guys already in the system (once they reach their caps that is)? Compared to the base game/other mods I've seen (and heard) that the CC mods have guys with much higher stats overall and it seems like the generated guys seem to stick to what would be called 'the norm'.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
Both of these sound like the same problem which is that CC mods really aren't that well balanced yes

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Most modern mods are really poorly balanced.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I guess when you're dealing with that much raw information and don't have a solid clue as to what "balanced" TEW is supposed to be like it can be hard to balance things properly.

Amusing Note: When I was playing around with the database before I started playing, I guess I wound up creating a copy of Absolute Intense Wrestling. The AIW clone is presently the #2 company in the world somehow.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

That happened to me, it might just be an oversight in the January 2015 mod (which is apparently the last one CC will make?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Then it must be an oversight that persisted from earlier updates since I think I have the July '14 version.

I hope somebody will pick up the gauntlet though. Imbalanced or not, updated real-life mods are really what makes TEW imho.