Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yep and I think it's the NFL that gave Surface 3's to all their coaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

An episode with the gimmick that the entire thing was shot on phones and laptops has phones and laptops in it?! :monocle:

Yes? What's your point?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Chamberk posted:

And marketing!

cebrail posted:

Was this the gaudiest product placement in TV history? I'm trying to think of anything else, but I can't. I mean, there were things like the O.C. episode about the T-Mobile Sidekick which is hilarious when you watch it today, and Community had the Subway stuff, but even when they made fun of it and went super over the top it still wasn't as much as this Modern Family episode.

Maybe I'm just naive but the marketing angle didn't even occur to me, but that's probably because I have an iPhone and Macbook and use the programs they were using on a regular basis. I still think it was a really creative way to shoot an episode.

EDIT:

EL BROMANCE posted:

At least they didn't use Microsoft gear, nobody wants to sit through an episode of non stop system updates and stuttering Skype calls that drop every 3 minutes.

Phil was playing Halo for half the episode :v:

timp fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 26, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, I haven't watched it yet but plan to. MF can still hit it out the park a few times a season and was intrigued by this concept.

And Apple aren't really known for paying for advertising, but happy to supply laptops etc as needed. If it was all about marketing it probably would've gone to someone who would've paid more money for the spotlight.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah basically get hype, Sex Criminals is loving amazing

Not gonna lie, if you didn't have the NWS on that link I wouldn't've clicked it expecting to see some superhero titties. Glad you put it there

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

timp posted:

Maybe I'm just naive but the marketing angle didn't even occur to me, but that's probably because I have an iPhone and Macbook and use the programs they were using on a regular basis. I still think it was a really creative way to shoot an episode.

I don't think it's product placement, a recent episode had the eldest daughter holding her phone upside down when she was using it (though that is arguably an in-character thing to do). If Apple had that much control over the show, they would have probably made sure she was holding it correctly.

Apple didn't pay for product placement for the Secret Santa episode of The Office; in fact, they claim that they don't pay for product placement for anything. Instead, what they have is a consulting expert that probably hooks up set designers with free products. Think about how many times that you've seen MacBooks in use in TV shows--they almost always have the Apple logo covered up.

Finally, there's always the possibility that it's as simple as "we need a computer for this scene, Andy can we borrow your laptop?" and 99% of what people use in Hollywood are Apple products. That's why so, so many TV shows and movies that show people using headphones for things like wiretaps or other non-music uses show them using Sony MDR V6s--all the sound guys have them and probably toss an actor an extra pair to use for the scene.

As for the most egregious product placement, I'd say Microsoft is definitely guilty of that, from Felicity's Surface Pro on Arrow (though to their credit they did accommodate for some of the more egregious omissions from the hardware that any real hacker/IT professional would need, such as plugging in an USB ethernet adapter) to the episode of Suburgatory where Jane Levy gushes over the tablet's features for two minutes straight to the aforementioned NFL commentators using their Surfaces as iPad stands (which is kinda dumb, the Surface can more than serve what ever purpose they were using their iPads for, but I digress).

It's gotten to the point where I'm more impressed when a show doesn't have product placement, such as Person of Interest, which you'd think would be rife with them. On the other hand, I got my first cellphone (a Motorola Pebl) based on the fact that HRG on Heroes used one, so product placement does in fact work sometimes.

[Edit: Oh man I just remembered the episode of Community when suddenly everyone had new Droid Incredibles (only on Verizon!) for an episode for no explainable reason, despite Jeff being literally glued to his Blackberry for all previous and subsequent episodes.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 26, 2015

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

cebrail posted:

Was this the gaudiest product placement in TV history? I'm trying to think of anything else, but I can't. I mean, there were things like the O.C. episode about the T-Mobile Sidekick which is hilarious when you watch it today, and Community had the Subway stuff, but even when they made fun of it and went super over the top it still wasn't as much as this Modern Family episode.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, will ever top the Avatar episode of Bones. The entire episode, three of the characters were talking about how much they wanted to see Avatar. One of those characters was a reoccurring character played by Joel David Moore, who is in loving Avatar (normally his character is clinically depressed, but he is super psyched to see Avatar). One character, when watching a preview (which we watch them do twice), remarks how we're getting to where you can't tell the difference from movies and real life anymore (they're blue people, we can tell the difference). One character, a psychiatrist, talks about how it appeals to him because it's a story about personality and has layers, man. The third character comments how "this is so much more than a movie." These characters spend most of the episode waiting in line all day to see it, camping out in a tent. In line, they meet a hot woman who wants to sleep with one character, but is totally down with sleeping with another when the first backs out. In a tent. In line. Because being obsessed with Avatar will get you laid by hot chicks with tattoos. The entire episode was built around these three characters and their hilarious high jinks going to see Avatar. And it was the god damned B plot. This was all, of course, in between actual commercials for Avatar during the breaks. It was an hour long commercial for Avatar, and was the idea of Avatar producer Jon Landau.

It was unreal.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 26, 2015

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Let's not forget Heroes' Hiro's love for the Nissan Versa.

I'm sure that the Modern Famiy episode is well done. It's generally a good show with occasional moments of genius (the Vegas episode from last season, for example), and I can see them doing a themed episode like that well. But the point stands that the episode is an Apple ad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Chamberk posted:

I was about to say, how are we forgetting that? Versas are pretty lousy too.

Also there was that crime procedural where someone had to play through prince of persia or god of war or one of those lovely action games to find the culprit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

One of those "Is that still on?" shows for me, along with Grey's Anatomy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Is that a PlayStation Vita?"

- House Majority Whip Francis Underwood (D-GA)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Characters reacting or saying irl brands is a lot better than whatever fake brands/IPs writers come up with on a whim.

Real people talk about consumer products all the time.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

That might have been true in 2006 but it's certainly not true anymore. That seems to be an incomplete list too because for a while they were paying The Office.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

IRQ posted:

I was about to say, how are we forgetting that? Versas are pretty lousy too.

I will fight on that generation of Versa being the single best small car sold in North America what with it's head room and all.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Chamberk posted:

I'm sure that the Modern Famiy episode is well done. It's generally a good show with occasional moments of genius (the Vegas episode from last season, for example), and I can see them doing a themed episode like that well. But the point stands that the episode is an Apple ad.

No it can't be because we like Apple and think they're way too cool and good to do things like product placement, not like those shameless corporate whores over at Micro$oft!

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of those "Is that still on?" shows for me, along with Grey's Anatomy.

The Middle is the ultimate "is that still on" show for me, which is followed up by "Why is that still on?"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Characters reacting or saying irl brands is a lot better than whatever fake brands/IPs writers come up with on a whim.

Real people talk about consumer products all the time.

The joke is that no sane kid would want a Vita. If he had said "Is that a Nintendo 3DS?" instead the scene would have been a lot less weird.

The whole exchange is great. Underwood asks Russo "What games does he have?" and Russo says "All of them." It's a Vita, so he probably does literally have all ten of them. :v:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

\The Middle is the ultimate "is that still on" show for me, which is followed up by "Why is that still on?"

Because it's charming and consistently funny. :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

precision posted:

The joke is that no sane kid would want a Vita. If he had said "Is that a Nintendo 3DS?" instead the scene would have been a lot less weird.

The whole exchange is great. Underwood asks Russo "What games does he have?" and Russo says "All of them." It's a Vita, so he probably does literally have all ten of them. :v:

Frank Underwood isn't a kid. Kids don't watch House of Cards.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Frank Underwood isn't a kid. Kids don't watch House of Cards.

The Vita belonged to Russo's kid is my point. Worst Dad Ever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

precision posted:

It depends when. There was a whole year the 3DS was untouchable garbage.

Chamberk posted:

That was actually kind of clever though.

Hiro's future telling comic book has him in a Versa so he is extremely insistent that's exactly what they drive.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been thinking about re-watching the first season of Heroes to see if it's really as good as I thought it was at the time, or if it just seemed better in light of the three subsequent seasons.

Is there any series that had a worse sophomore slump than Heroes?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been thinking about re-watching the first season of Heroes to see if it's really as good as I thought it was at the time, or if it just seemed better in light of the three subsequent seasons.

Friday Night Lights is certainly in contention.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I really really really hope this is good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dark Angel

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Any show that has Jessica Alba go into heat is fine by me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Homeland. Because the first season of that show was actually good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Time Trax.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is there a modern family thread?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Not this season.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

Not this season.

I really like the show, but there's usually not all that much to say about it. Threads in the past have been 4-5 posts the day after air that were just like "That was funny, I liked the part with Phil"

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

zoux posted:

I really really really hope this is good.

The smirk makes me think we'll get more of a swashbuckling Daredevil than the "the universe keeps making GBS threads on my mouth constantly" Daredevil and I love it.

Speaking of comic-book TV shows, anyone seen the Powers episodes? I have PS+ but my connection through the console is garbage so I'm hosed on that front. I'm hoping they put it on another service when the season ends.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

I must be weird but I preferred the second season. Jensen Ackles and some beast-hybrid played by the "I make good eggs" guy from Lost (also Zipcna from Stargate SG-1.)? Hell yeah.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It hasn't started yet, the first episode hits March 10th.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Deadpool posted:

Homeland. Because the first season of that show was actually good.

You mean the only season. :colbert:

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

precision posted:

You mean the only season. :colbert:

Just chop off the last 5 minutes of the last episode and read the One True Ending somewhere and it's the greatest show ever.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mo0 posted:

Just chop off the last 5 minutes of the last episode and read the One True Ending somewhere and it's the greatest show ever.

Showtime: Hey, change your ending, this show is getting huge press attention

Homeland: ...We crafted a serious dramatic story and planned to end it in one season, that would ruin everything we did.

Showtime: Tough poo poo, do what we say or don't get paid.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

pentyne posted:

Homeland: ...We crafted a serious dramatic story and planned to end it in one season, that would ruin everything we did.

This never happened.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

pentyne posted:

Yeah, none of which explains why Season Two was the adventures of The Brody Bunch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vincent posted:

The smirk makes me think we'll get more of a swashbuckling Daredevil than the "the universe keeps making GBS threads on my mouth constantly" Daredevil and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vincent posted:

Speaking of comic-book TV shows, anyone seen the Powers episodes? I have PS+ but my connection through the console is garbage so I'm hosed on that front. I'm hoping they put it on another service when the season ends.

They're going to be viewable through the website.

They don't go up until March 10th.

• Locked thread