Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

No, but apparently part of Ben's character is that opportunities plop down on his lap without his even trying, so who knows?

Of course the other part is him declining them at the last possible moment, so it's still pretty much in character for both of them for it to be Leslie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
They likely have no reason to do it now that the show is over and they wouldn't really be promoting anything anymore, but I really want to see NBC mock-up Tom's successful personality quiz.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

grilldos posted:

It's a Nick Offerman book. They sprinkled a lot of Offerman into Ron on the show, but there are a few key differences between the two that's readily apparent. Watching his Netflix special will give you a rather strong indication.

I brought the audiobook. His delivery sound exactly like Ron Swanson. In the chapters he talk about Megan Mullally and his obsession to Woodwork magazine, I can't tell the difference between Nick Offerman and Ron Swanson.

So far I prefer this book over Amy Poehler's book. It's more personally.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

whatever7 posted:

I brought the audiobook. His delivery sound exactly like Ron Swanson. In the chapters he talk about Megan Mullally and his obsession to Woodwork magazine, I can't tell the difference between Nick Offerman and Ron Swanson.

So far I prefer this book over Amy Poehler's book. It's more personally.

This is some pro-tier phoneposting right here

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Isn't Nick Offerman basically a combination of Ron and Eagleton Ron in real life? Like, he's kind of a dope smoking hippie.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5yf6DlZPqk

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sleeveless posted:

I'm more interested in Nick Offerman's audition for The Office. I can't imagine him mugging at the camera as Jim or being as out of touch as Michael Scott.

Its just footage of him from Deadwood.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe
So is there any explanation for why Gayle looks exactly the same over several decades? Is she part of an immortal race ala Kenneth the Intern/NBC President from 30 Rock?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Allison Brie out of nowhere. Must have shot the promo around the time they were filming Kings of Summer (which is a much better Nick Offerman indie film).

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In the Swanson chapter of Offerman's book he said Mike wanted him from the start in the show due to his older auditions that didn't pan out. Both him and Adam Scott did a "chemistry reading" with Rashida Jones, I assume for a role somewhere between Andy and Mark? NBC outright rejected it, said they want someone more handsome.

Mike Schur went back and said okey okey we still want Offerman for a different role, as Amy's boss. The NBC suits said Offerman was not old enough and kept doing casting calls for this role. In the end it came down to a final audition between him and Michael OMalley (sp? I don't know this guy). Offerman found out later Mike and Greg didn't even hand in the other guy's tape to NBC, only his tape. So you can say Offerman own the P&R creative guys a big favorite.

I like his casting stories, even though they are kind of repeatitive. Reminds me of the first season of Party Down.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

jumba posted:

So is there any explanation for why Gayle looks exactly the same over several decades? Is she part of an immortal race ala Kenneth the Intern/NBC President from 30 Rock?

Because it was a joke.

Are the extended bits on youtube or NBC somewhere? I hate hulu but want to see more Jamm

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
There are a shocking amount of people in this thread who seem to be completely unaware of who Christie Brinkley is.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Athanatos posted:

Are the extended bits on youtube or NBC somewhere? I hate hulu but want to see more Jamm

That they are: http://www.nbc.com/parks-and-recreation/video

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Quandary posted:

I think by definition fan-fiction cannot be written by the original writers

Sure it can, look at Star Wars I-III. Now in that case it was bad fanfiction, whereas the P&R final season is good fanfiction. But it's still very different in tone, content, and characterizations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

whatever7 posted:

Michael OMalley (sp? I don't know this guy).

Mike O'Malley was the host of 'Get the Picture' and 'GUTS' in the early 90s. Then he got fat and he was one of the main characters on that awful show 'Yes, Dear' that was on for approximately twenty-eight years.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Mike O'Malley was the host of 'Get the Picture' and 'GUTS' in the early 90s. Then he got fat and he was one of the main characters on that awful show 'Yes, Dear' that was on for approximately twenty-eight years.

He also went on to cameo in Parks actually, as the guy who ran the white van fleet rental company and tried to rip off Ron & Co.

RichardDunn
Oct 23, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I gotta stick up for him, he proved himself pretty well in Justified. But as a Ron Swanson character... Yeah I can't imagine that.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Something I wish they had done was have the 2025 (was that the year?) reunion conclude with a group photo and mirror that with the final scene of the 2017 group photo.

Phenotype posted:

Ok, so I enjoyed the finale, and I'm glad all the characters we've grown attached to get happy endings, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt like they were watching P&R fan fiction, am I? It just felt, I dunno, just a little too perfect--the episode was a collection of scenes about how LITrally every character on the show ends up accomplishing their dreams and having a wonderful life.

I don't know how they would have fit, say, Tom getting killed in a traffic accident into the optimistic mood of the show, but I thought it was just a little too indulgent to actually timeskip twenty years or more to show how everyone got everything they ever wanted. I think I would have preferred most of the episode to stay in the 2017 "present", and leave more outcomes unanswered. Tom beginning his restaurant expansion, for example, would have been a good stopping point, and leaves it a bit up in the air as to whether he'll continue his success streak. Likewise, we didn't need a real closer for Ron, either--he's always been a rock, and he seemed like he was in a good place running his building company. I appreciated the glimpses into Leslie and Ben's future (and Gerry!), but I think a lot of the others felt like barely-disguised fan service.

I also enjoyed the finale a lot, but the more I think about it, I agree with this to an extent. This entire season was already spent ensuring that each character is set up for success. Everyone leaving Pawnee for their next life step was the real end of the story for these characters and their time with the Pawnee Parks and Rec department, so we already had closure on every story arc with a happy ending. Adding that Andy and April had kids, Garry got elected mayor 4 more times, Donna became loaded and went on adventures, Tom became an author and motivational speaker, and Ron retired with a dream job doesn't really add anything to the story of the show, which is why it does feel like fanfiction.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Epilogues are a well know form of fanfiction

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Jean Ralphio funeral scene is extended by like 30 seconds in the extended cut and it is awesome. Just more of the same, but awesome.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I couldn't believe it when The Wire showed us Daniels became a lawyer in the finale. What the gently caress is this poo poo, Fallout Equestria?!?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

grilldos posted:

There are a shocking amount of people in this thread who seem to be completely unaware of who Christie Brinkley is.

For real. Making me feel old.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

jumba posted:

She's Zorp.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Hail Zorp!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I couldn't believe it when The Wire showed us Daniels became a lawyer in the finale. What the gently caress is this poo poo, Fallout Equestria?!?

I'm sorry you can't respect the thought-out and reasonable opinions of others. Do you really find it that absurd for a fan of the show to be slightly dissatisfied with the finale and propose that they might have handled the ending slightly differently?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I'm sorry you can't respect the thought-out and reasonable opinions of others. Do you really find it that absurd for a fan of the show to be slightly dissatisfied with the finale and propose that they might have handled the ending slightly differently?

I had a few reservations with it myself, but calling for the fanfiction because it gave closure to characters the show's spent seven years building up is pretty stupid. It was a little on the self indulgent side I agree, but it was still just an epilogue - a completely normal and credible way to end a character driven story

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I like my optimistic television programs about the benefits and necessities of friendship and hard work to not end showcasing successful Happily Ever Afters for their characters. I would much rather they abandon their themes or at the very least be more ambiguous than the very ambiguous "Who Is President" gambit they perpetrated.

Edit: This season was funny but very fan-servicey and the finale was no different, but rest in peace classic comedy program that I will think fondly of forever.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I had a few reservations with it myself, but calling for the fanfiction because it gave closure to characters the show's spent seven years building up is pretty stupid. It was a little on the self indulgent side I agree, but it was still just an epilogue - a completely normal and credible way to end a character driven story

That's fair. I did say that I enjoyed the finale and was glad everyone got a happy ending, but I think "indulgent" is a very good word for it, and I think they might have written a stronger ending by not literally spelling out that everyone maintained their warm happiness for the rest of their lives. Like, Bubbles gets to have dinner with his sister, but you don't see him as an old man surrounded by loving nieces and nephews on his deathbed. I think that's why fanfiction comes to mind -- I certainly give the P&R writing team all the credit they deserve, but "and they lived happily ever after for the rest of their lives in terrifying exactitude" is usually done by crap fan writers in love with their TV/manga husbands and waifus.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Phenotype posted:

That's fair. I did say that I enjoyed the finale and was glad everyone got a happy ending, but I think "indulgent" is a very good word for it, and I think they might have written a stronger ending by not literally spelling out that everyone maintained their warm happiness for the rest of their lives. Like, Bubbles gets to have dinner with his sister, but you don't see him as an old man surrounded by loving nieces and nephews on his deathbed. I think that's why fanfiction comes to mind -- I certainly give the P&R writing team all the credit they deserve, but "and they lived happily ever after for the rest of their lives in terrifying exactitude" is usually done by crap fan writers in love with their TV/manga husbands and waifus.

So the ending of Six Feet Under was fan fiction as it did the same as it showed the ultimate fates of all the main characters?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Something I wish they had done was have the 2025 (was that the year?) reunion conclude with a group photo and mirror that with the final scene of the 2017 group photo.

I also enjoyed the finale a lot, but the more I think about it, I agree with this to an extent. This entire season was already spent ensuring that each character is set up for success. Everyone leaving Pawnee for their next life step was the real end of the story for these characters and their time with the Pawnee Parks and Rec department, so we already had closure on every story arc with a happy ending. Adding that Andy and April had kids, Garry got elected mayor 4 more times, Donna became loaded and went on adventures, Tom became an author and motivational speaker, and Ron retired with a dream job doesn't really add anything to the story of the show, which is why it does feel like fanfiction.

I disagree, one of the main themes running through the show, which was pretty much completely spelled out in Leslie's speech at the university, is how important the love and support of friends is in achieving your goals (incidentally, this is what made a lot of the Jerry stuff hard to take when it switched from laughing at his clumsiness to outright insults).

The entirety of the city council campaign for instance, was a great example of this and why the season was one of my favorites

"Leslie: Guys, it's so much work. I can't ask you to put your lives on hold.
Ron: Find one person here who you haven't helped by putting your life on hold.", and chief trumble's quote about Leslie getting all the favors she wants because she only uses them to help others

The harvest festival as well, by literally putting their jobs on the line to support Leslie's idea, picking up Leslie after she gets booted out of office, the Eagleton merger which was just on a scale of entire towns rather than their small group.

There are plenty more examples of character growth using that same idea, particularly Ron, who becomes a very generous, selfless person once he allows the people he likes to actually become a part of his life.

Even Tom, who is mostly a selfish dick throughout the series, ends up making his true success by literally using his friends personalities as a business model and is able to (mostly) recognise their influence

If the ending was just people enjoying where they're at or just showing how they died it would be completely unsatisfying and run against everything the show has been building to that point, to see how that support for each other actually finally paid off, even if those characters are no longer part of the same immediate group, is what made the finale great for me.

Lucky for you guys I'm phone posting so this ended up being a lot briefer than it could have been

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought the finale was pretty much perfect. I also loved that from the small timeskip at the start of the season one of the big ongoing jokes was that the jump forward in tech was massive and way overdone but during all the timeskips in the finale (except maybe for Craig and Typhoon) the tech was pretty much exactly the same despite the comparatively giant leaps forward in time.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

So the ending of Six Feet Under was fan fiction as it did the same as it showed the ultimate fates of all the main characters?
From Wiktionary:
"Usually" (comparative more usually, superlative most usually)

Definition: Most of the time; less than always, but more than occasionally.

screaden posted:

I disagree, one of the main themes running through the show, which was pretty much completely spelled out in Leslie's speech at the university, is how important the love and support of friends is in achieving your goals (incidentally, this is what made a lot of the Jerry stuff hard to take when it switched from laughing at his clumsiness to outright insults).

If the ending was just people enjoying where they're at or just showing how they died it would be completely unsatisfying and run against everything the show has been building to that point, to see how that support for each other actually finally paid off, even if those characters are no longer part of the same immediate group, is what made the finale great for me.

But I really like this interpretation. I never thought of it like that before.

antisocial
May 26, 2004

Only pretending to be the world's worst poster!
Keep it on the down low (down low)
Nobody has to know...
I don't think there's any interpretation there. There's a reason why all the flash forwards had someone leaning on a loved one for support or advice.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Just finished season 7,. Really good but the unbroken string of awesome episodes stretching back to season 2 ended just before the finale with the Johnny Karate episode. The conceit of having to have the characters perform to an audience of children just seemed to make all the interactions fall flat.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

jumba posted:

Have you never met an old person who is just preposterously young looking?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jumba posted:

Just a joke on how she will eternally be out of Garry's league, even when they're both 100.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

jumba posted:

In all seriousness, you know that actress is 61, right? Like, she does not visibly age.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I was gonna go on a tirade about Christie Brinkley's cultural significance in a series of chronological steps, but at this point I'm pretty sure a lot of people in this thread have never even seen Vacation or understand Billy Joel's place in history, so gently caress it.

I've been Jammed.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Just a joke on how she will eternally be out of Garry's league, even when they're both 100.

Well, also that he has the perfect life outside of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

She's not even his type!

• Locked thread