Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
Is the game made by Vlaada Chvátil? Is it mostly beige? is it anime? If you can answer yes to any of these questions then the game is goon approved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

snuff posted:

Is the game made by Vlaada Chvátil? Is it mostly beige? is it anime? If you can answer yes to any of these questions then the game is goon approved.

Hentai nazi card game :goonsay:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

admanb posted:

I like that you went off so hard on this opinion, but appear to have forgotten that the person who said Dominion was basically a CCG wasn't Dumbass Game Designer, it was Mister Sinewave.

Dumbass Game Designer's BGG review of Dominion posted:

Stop buying expansions for a minute, and discover that the gameplay mechanisms are actually not very strong. It's basically a collectible card game.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well Dumbass Game Designer said it originally, Sinewave was silly enough to agree with it and try and defend it. Which if "it's like a CCG" is a meaningful description of the game for Sinewave then that's a pretty verifiably poo poo opinion, but I don't believe Sinewave is a designer so that's basically fine. Plenty of people in the world are wrong about all manner of things.

The original point still stands, you can't possibly have anything meaningful to say about game design or mechanics if you can't even understand a game or its mechanics on any fundamental level.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Dumbass Game Designer seems to have some sort of obnoxious Messiah complex. He sounds like he thinks that he'll lead game design into a new promised land if only people would stop to listen to him.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah. I don't really mind that he has awful opinions, but it's that he thinks his opinions are revolutionary and will change the world. People that disagree just aren't enlightened yet!

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Arnm616 posted:

Anyone had a chance to try out Trickerion? The kickstarter is ending in a few days and I am wondering if it is worth backing.

Unless it's a Kickstarter that, on the last day, needs your backing to get fully funded, never back a board game Kickstarter. History of the field shows that you'll get your copy later than retail and at a higher price than you'd get it off CSI or MM.

I think Trickerion looks okay, though, and Rahdo's run-through of it makes me interested in potentially picking it up down the line, at a healthy discount over MSRP. :)

tl;dr: don't back kickstarters, you dummy.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Unless it's a Kickstarter that, on the last day, needs your backing to get fully funded, never back a board game Kickstarter. History of the field shows that you'll get your copy later than retail and at a higher price than you'd get it off CSI or MM.

I think Trickerion looks okay, though, and Rahdo's run-through of it makes me interested in potentially picking it up down the line, at a healthy discount over MSRP. :)

Dungeon Lords :arghfist:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Clockwork Gadget posted:

don't back kickstarters, you dummy.

New thread title nominee.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Lord Frisk posted:

Thread regular here, reporting in to poo poo on a thing.

Not actually doing any research, I'd say you were dumb and wrong and your arguments are flawed. The hivemind agrees, I already sent a message to their pagers.

What were we talking about?

Pooping on on Jedit and people that have different opinions with their game reviews.

Although if Jedit was the guy that was playing a game wrong, then pooping on it, then not willing to revisit and play it right and still judging the game, I get that.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

chemosh6969 posted:

Pooping on on Jedit and people that have different opinions with their game reviews.

Look, some people think Candyland is basically a collectable miniatures wargame, and you need to respect that. You can say it isn't, but that's just, like, your opinion, man

Tekopo posted:

People have opinions about stuff, the end.

I disagree

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

People have opinions about stuff, the end.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Best medieval times game that isnt worker placement?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sent a link to reddit thread about the article to my gaming group, we're all getting a good laugh out of it.

Who cares if making fun of this guy isn't mechnically strong, it's just fun.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I went to go see The Odd Couple and halfway through there was a fire and one of the lead actors got tangled in the curtains and died.

What I'm saying is, that show sucks. I would recommend no one else try watching The Odd Couple.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You continued complaining about how awful Coup was even after the fact that you had been playing it wrong was pointed out. When asked if you had ever tried playing it with the actual rules, you chose not to answer.

I was waiting until I had played it with the actual rules. Which we did, and that was the last time we played Coup at game night. I don't think anyone even bothers to bring it any more.

Baron Porkface posted:

Do you want strictly European knights-and-castles mediaeval, or "game set between 1066-1540"?

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Someone brought up this reviewer earlier, and he's posted a new review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4zX93d-BnY

His reviews are under five minutes and don't waste time summarizing the rules. I really like what he's put out so far - they've been thoughtful, interesting critics.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Jamesman posted:

I like dungeon crawl-type board games. Are there any good recommendations?

Specific things I like;

-Games where one player takes the "dungeon master" role and is actively controlling the monsters.
-Games where the board is gradually revealed through exploration instead of laid out at the start.
-Games with actual game pieces that make the board feel busy and like stuff is actually happening. Cardboard tiles representing monsters and set pieces depress me.

I guess what I'm saying is I want to be 10 years old again and I want another HeroQuest.

Level 7: Omega Protocol has most of that. There is hidden stuff, just the layout is fixed.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Porkface posted:

Jedit posted:

Do you want strictly European knights-and-castles mediaeval, or "game set between 1066-1540"?

Muslims where more interesting during the middle ages than Europeans:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Muslims where more interesting during the middle ages than Europeans:

As long as you know it's basically CYOA in board game form and the winning condition is playing until you get sick of it.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Look, some people think Candyland is basically a collectable miniatures wargame, and you need to respect that. You can say it isn't, but that's just, like, your opinion, man

My kickstarter is going to be Candyland combined with houses from monopoly and the units from Axis and Allies. I'll call it Invasion of Iraq.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Cardhaus has a lot more than three copies of Keyflower by the way. Looks like they're not showing their full stock on the site. It has been stuck at 3 copies since they updated it and I just bought a copy and it's still at 3 (every other time I've ordered from them the quantity has updated immediately).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 26, 2015

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

chemosh6969 posted:

My kickstarter is going to be Candyland combined with houses from monopoly and the units from Axis and Allies. I'll call it Invasion of Iraq.

You could work with this guy for dice!

T-Bone posted:

Cardhaus a lot more than three copies of Keyflower by the way. Looks like they're not showing their full stock on the site. It has been stuck at 3 copies since they updated it and I just bought a copy and it's still at 3 (every other time I've ordered from them the quantity has updated immediately).

I would say everyone go buy Keyflower and maybe they'll reprint other Key games, but we all know they won't.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

Ye knights and castles

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

jmzero posted:

Dominion is not like a collectible card game, other than that it has cards and is a game.
[...]
Unless, I guess, you figure the important, inherent part of a CCG is that it involves not just being a card game, but also "drawing cards and playing combos and stuff".. well then I guess Dominion (and Rummy and Catan) are CCGs.

I was really just thinking back to before I knew anything (as in anything at all) about Dominion, I had assumed it would be a board game with tokens and stuff like many others. Someone telling me it was more like (for example) MtG than Catan or whatever would have made sense to me. I was still surprised to have hit such a nerve when I suggested that the guy's statement made a certain amount of sense to me. I guess I just think of it differently, or at least just don't have as nuanced a view.

Weirdly at least one person seemed to assume I hated Dominion :confused: Sure I avoided the usual "Now don't get me wrong, I like [X] but..." disclaimer but I wasn't even saying anything bad about it, or so I thought.

jmzero posted:

Like, if someone says a game is "like a CCG", I'd guess it's likely directly competitive (like you say above). Dominion has about the least direct interaction you can find in a game. It isn't directly competitive for any useful definition of "direct".

Now this part I really don't agree with and can back it up with something other than a 'different strokes for different folks' shrug.

I think "direct competition" means something different to you than it does to me, but I see Dominion as extremely directly competitive. Dominion is a game that has me play my opponent(s) with as little game in the way as possible. Success in the competition depends on paying attention to what my opponent(s) is/are doing and integrate it as efficiently as possible into my strategy. I need to end the game in a win state before my opponent(s), and their actions affect my plans and actions in a big circle of life sort of competitive feedback loop.

Sure I am (or they are) free to ignore everyone else when playing and do whatever regardless. But that means trivial gameplay at best, and leaving victory up to blind luck at worst. (Blind luck as in "maybe my actions make sense compared to my opponents' actions, maybe they don't")

Because of this, I see Dominion as absolutely a directly competitive game. Because - to repeat myself - my overwhelming opinion of Dominion is that it is a razor-sharp system to have me play my opponents(s) with as little game in the way as possible.

I have a feeling we don't really disagree and as usual things have simply come down to a failure to communicate.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ok, I'd agree with the idea that before you know anything about anything, it's more useful then nothing to say it's "like a CCG" as long as that's known to mean that it has cards.

But if you're game designer? You sure as poo poo better know the difference between a Deck Builder and a CCG.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Back Final Attack :colbert:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Archenteron posted:

Were you even reading?

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chomp8645 posted:

Were you even reading?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Even Broken Loose himself doesn't poo poo up the thread with shilling, he keeps it to the Kickstarter games thread (or whatever). You guys should follow his example.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I have a feeling we don't really disagree and as usual things have simply come down to a failure to communicate.

Yes it appears that way. I'd certainly agree Dominion is a competitive game with important interaction - I just got the wrong message from the word "direct", which to me evokes something more like "Deal target player 5 damage".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baron Porkface posted:

Ye knights and castles

Fief: France 1429, Mythotopia, Sheriff of Nottingham, Rattus.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Need a birthday present for a friend Sunday. He's a civil war buff, so I thought I'd get him one or two civil war games (I previously recommended Guns of Gettysburg to him and he enjoyed it, but without my help it might've been too complex). Anyway, I was thinking about A House Divided or Battle Cry, but are there any others I should consider?

Baron Porkface posted:

Love Letter?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So Tales of the Arabian Nights has been described not so much as a game you try to win but somthing that you get some friends together and experience bullshit things together.

How does this experience maker of a game handle with 2-3 players?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So Tales of the Arabian Nights has been described not so much as a game you try to win but somthing that you get some friends together and experience bullshit things together.

The best, don't play it with 4 or 5 jesus

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Really well actually. My girlfriend and I play it fairly regularly together with just the two of us. It always is ridiculous, and it plays exactly the same as 4 just faster.

Zombie #246 posted:

The best, don't play it with 4 or 5 jesus

I still think it plays fine with 4, but 5 just takes too long between turns.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Three is the ideal number for the game, I feel. It instructs you to have the person to the active player's left and right each do stuff (I think one is "read cards" and the other is "read the book" but I might be mistaken, it's been a while), which, hey! That's three people! I played with 6 once and it was the slowest poo poo and if your character ever got hosed over you just had to wait a long time before you got to pray you did something interesting. 3 is probably the most I'd ever try it with now.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I played it with 4, and it was decent enough. You need to play with reasonably easy-going people, though, not ones who think house-rules are some form of cheating.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Baron Porkface posted:

Does Troyes count as worker placement? The answer is who cares, play Troyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Countblanc posted:

Three is the ideal number for the game, I feel. It instructs you to have the person to the active player's left and right each do stuff (I think one is "read cards" and the other is "read the book" but I might be mistaken, it's been a while), which, hey! That's three people! I played with 6 once and it was the slowest poo poo and if your character ever got hosed over you just had to wait a long time before you got to pray you did something interesting. 3 is probably the most I'd ever try it with now.

Pretty much, although there's some minor (situational) advantage to being 4 in that one person is always free to do something else than be involved in the storytelling. Even with 3, it can be a long game, and having that pause to make a quick dash for the fridge/wc/whatever can be helpful. At the same time, the pause won't be long enough to make people lose interest completely.