Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think the Raven redesign could work if it was just tweaked a bit. I like the feather mask, it makes her come off as a bit alien.

I think really it's on the cusp of being a very cool modernized take on the supernatural action hero look, but there's just a little bit of things here and there that drag it down. Maybe the feather mask is just enough and the rest of the outfit needs to go back to being more like her traditional gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The colour scheme makes me think she's the new Dove or something.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Every Red Robin costume has been awful.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Travis343 posted:

Except the first one, but only because it was an homage to the Michael Keaton Batman.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Lurdiak posted:

Eh. I really can't get into this new look. My favorite Raven costume was the simple elegance of the torn jean shorts and Nirvana t-shirt.

ft. Robin Van Dam and Bam Bam Bigelow, the Beast Boy from the East?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

McSpanky posted:

Except the first one, but only because it was an homage to the Michael Keaton Batman.

I was just thinking about this earlier, and I can't remember if that was Dick or Tim. Where was Dick in KC if that wasn't him?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Travis343 posted:

Yeah, DC really has no idea what to do with Tim Drake. They really should have just eliminated him and Jason from the Robin history when they reduced it down to 5 years, but they couldn't do it without messing with Morrison's run.

He's stuck in this limbo where they won't have him grow up because he'll be too old for the Teen Titans, but they also won't keep him as Robin so he's stuck as this pointless pseudo-Robin identity.

I haven't been reading Future's End or Eternal at all, aren't there rumors that it's going to lead Tim taking over as Batman Beyond?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

LvK posted:

ft. Robin Van Dam and Bam Bam Bigelow, the Beast Boy from the East?

Don't forget Donnie Troy as Big Troia Cool.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dacap posted:

Yeah, DC really has no idea what to do with Tim Drake. They really should have just eliminated him and Jason from the Robin history when they reduced it down to 5 years, but they couldn't do it without messing with Morrison's run.

He's stuck in this limbo where they won't have him grow up because he'll be too old for the Teen Titans, but they also won't keep him as Robin so he's stuck as this pointless pseudo-Robin identity.

I haven't been reading Future's End or Eternal at all, aren't there rumors that it's going to lead Tim taking over as Batman Beyond?

I would have loved a return to Dick as Robin, especially since they went back to Barbara as Batgirl, but they wanted Batman Inc to still be canon, I think.

Tim was Red Robin way before the New 52 hit though. Blame it all on Damian (even though I really like Damian and his Robin costume is my favorite).

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Dick was always more interesting to me as Nightwing than as Robin and I think returning him to Robin would've been too much regression for the character. Tim was always my favourite Robin so it's kind of disappointing that he's been pushed out.

I like Damian, but really prefer the Dick/Damian team than the Bruce/Damian team. It was fun to see a Batman & Robin where the light and dark personalities were switched. It had a better balance than when he's paired with Bruce and I liked how he grew to respect Dick. I almost wish they would've kept Damian paired with Dick even after Bruce returned and had him as a sidekick for Nightwing instead.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dacap posted:

gently caress it, just make him the new Oracle now that Barbara's up and walking. He's always been "the nerdy Robin", more or less.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

404GoonNotFound posted:

gently caress it, just make him the new Oracle now that Barbara's up and walking. He's always been "the nerdy Robin", more or less.

He should get a wheelchair as part of the title, and be forced to use it despite being able-bodied. (I really didn't like how Oracle was handled)

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 26, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

He should get a wheelchair as part of the title, and be forced to use it despite being able-bodied. (I really didn't like how Oracle was handled)

Yeah, how dare disabled people want more representation as heroes, they've got Professor X and

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, how dare disabled people want more representation as heroes, they've got Professor X and

Dead for years and walking previous to that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Daredevil and Agent Venom without having to think too hard on it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't think Venom counts since he has magic legs 99% of the time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Dead for years and walking previous to that.

Eh. *checks watch* So like a month before he's alive and paralysed again, then?

Ghostlight posted:

DD is a fair point, but I was mostly meaning people with mobility related disabilities.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Forge, No-Girl, Echo, off the top of my head.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Is robot arm a real disability?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's a leg too and he lost it in 'nam man.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Lurdiak posted:

And now 100% of the time in GotG. And if we're counting robot limbs we'd have to include 75% of the 90s (and Misty Knight).

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak posted:

They're superheroes, that's kind of their thing. He still goes home at night and takes off his legs one alien at a time like the rest of us.

But seriously, have you seen what prosthetics can be like these days? Do you stop being considered disabled when your pretend-legs are better than actual legs, or is it more about the emotional journey losing a functioning piece of your body and learning to live in new ways causes rather than just the static state of not being fully functional?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Also Hawkeye being deaf

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Do you stop being considered disabled when your pretend-legs are better than actual legs,

Yes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Better tell all those amputee sprinters that they should be running against the dudes with legs in the regular Olympics then!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gaz-L posted:

That was my point.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Better tell all those amputee sprinters that they should be running against the dudes with legs in the regular Olympics then!

I guess Raiden from Metal Gear is a representation of people with full body paralysis. Stephen Hawking must really be able to relate.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dacap posted:

Also Hawkeye being deaf

Nope, Franklin Richards'd.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

404GoonNotFound posted:

Nope, Franklin Richards'd.

He's deaf again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

He's deaf again.

Give it a couple weeks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

But seriously, have you seen what prosthetics can be like these days? Do you stop being considered disabled when your pretend-legs are better than actual legs, or is it more about the emotional journey losing a functioning piece of your body and learning to live in new ways causes rather than just the static state of not being fully functional?
This is a good point, and deserves more than an ignorant 'no' as a response. And my prior snarky counter-reply was probably too glib. I think it's important to cover the whole spectrum. The fact that certain conditions and disabilities are now able to be treated or overcome with the help of technology and showing the progress and emotional journey that results in.

I equally think that acknowledging that some things are still permanent, but don't make people less able to contribute, and showing that part of society that the stories we tell can include them is also very important, and DC made an atrocious, tone-deaf decision to do long-term damage to that effort when they did the New 52 and got rid of Oracle.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dacap posted:

Dick was always more interesting to me as Nightwing than as Robin and I think returning him to Robin would've been too much regression for the character. Tim was always my favourite Robin so it's kind of disappointing that he's been pushed out.

Agree, but the New 52 is basically nothing but regression and throwing out decades of positive character development in favor of what comics were like in the 60s, so I kind of wish they'd had the stones to full reset everything and let it develop in new and unusual ways.

This is the costume thread, right? I sure miss Superman's red trunks, I tell you what.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Travis343 posted:

Agree, but the New 52 is basically nothing but regression and throwing out decades of positive character development in favor of what comics were like in the 60s, so I kind of wish they'd had the stones to full reset everything and let it develop in new and unusual ways.

This is the costume thread, right? I sure miss Superman's red trunks, I tell you what.

I kinda like his goofy little hand-guard things that JRJr seems determined to draw everyone with.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

This is a good point, and deserves more than an ignorant 'no' as a response.

Oh, my reply wasn't ignorant. It was dismissive. There's a distinction. Pretty important one, too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

I kinda like his goofy little hand-guard things that JRJr seems determined to draw everyone with.

If his Mom didn't make them I'm not interested.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

edit: nevermind this was a bad joke.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

No-Girl

Having your entire body amputated is a pretty major disability.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah but she has antigravity floats so according to Lurdiak she's no longer handicapped. Stephen Hawking only wishes he could float.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is the spiked collar for utility or is she just one of the kids at the school going through a goth phase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

Oh, my reply wasn't ignorant. It was dismissive. There's a distinction. Pretty important one, too.

Yeah comparing modern day prosthetics to comic book magic/tech isn't going to work and is just plain dumb.

When modern science finally invents magic then we can talk.

• Locked thread