Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Right. And it's kind of a limited problem. You're only going to scam service dog rules if you have one of a handful of breeds. You can probably still scam if you put a service vest on your shi-tzu, but you'll get a lot of side eye.

Shih Tzus actually make very good emotional support dogs and I don't think my sister would be alive today without hers, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Human Cow posted:

Somebody tried to steal Howard's Rock again.

It looks like the new case did its job, but I wonder how close they were to being able to move the whole pedestal since it's crooked in that shot.

Seriously? Some people are assholes. I mean, besides the NCAA...

I thought they had security cameras on it now. So maybe they got a look at the prick(s)

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 26, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Silas Nacita has apologized for his role in the situation

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I still don't really understand how he broke the rules. Some dude he knew from before helped him with housing, and... what? He conditioned the housing on this kid playing football as a walk-on?

e: And if Baylor's compliance people knew about it before but only voiced some concern, what changed since then to get him kicked off the team?

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 26, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Yeah, still doesn't pass the smell test. I mean, even saying he was a previous acquaintance indicates that there was a prior relationship there.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I have seen it suggested that they might have summarily booted him without submitting it to the NCAA because whatever they would have to report could implicate Baylor and/or jeopardize the eligibility of more prominent players. In any case, the kid still has his academic scholarship and will probably do fine in life. He's clearly really smart.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Walk-ons should be allowed to get all the benefits they want, so Texas can have like 100 4* walk-ons living in luxury.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Thermos H Christ posted:

I still don't really understand how he broke the rules. Some dude he knew from before helped him with housing, and... what? He conditioned the housing on this kid playing football as a walk-on?

e: And if Baylor's compliance people knew about it before but only voiced some concern, what changed since then to get him kicked off the team?

From the statements I would guess the family was a big Baylor booster. That sets off a bunch of red flags. Since the contact wasn't actually a friend with an established relationship but just a guy he knew from Bakersfield, it had the appearance of a booster giving benefits to a recruit for the purpose of helping him play football for Baylor.

The compliance department had probably warned him not to stay with a known booster unless they were genuinely good family friends. Nacita seems to have chosen to interpret "good family friends" as meaning "related to some guy I met in high school" and when the Baylor folks found out they dropped the axed on him.

That's the best sense I can make of the situation at the moment. On the positive side Briles has said he's welcome back with the team if they can get this sorted out. I hope they do. This strikes me as just a kid being dumb/naive rather than anything insidious.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah. I'm tentatively starting to think that Nacita asked (or, more likely, just received a general briefing) on what benefits were and weren't permissible while he was still sleeping on friends' couches, misunderstood, and wound up accepting an offer he thought was kosher even when it wasn't without double checking with compliance. I mean, again, it doesn't really make sense to paint this as a bagman situation - the kid's a walkon, I don't think he was recruited heavily at all. If we were desperate to have him all we needed to do was offer a football schollie and he would probably have jumped at it. And then, y'know, we would have had him do something besides Special Teams and garbage time running. I really hope they can work out some accomodation, although I'm not sure if one exists or how eager compliance is to search for one.

That said, it's not as though he's lost his Academic Scholarship or his housing, and by all accounts he's a fantastic student who wasn't planning on using the NFL as his way out to begin with, so at the very least he's not hosed for life.

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN

Scarf posted:

Seriously? Some people are assholes. I mean, besides the NCAA...

I thought they had security cameras on it now. So maybe they got a look at the prick(s)

Are these people actually breaking into the stadium to do this, or is it just open?

Oh, and on a not-at-all-related note, I'm going to be in Austin for a week in March. Where do I need to be eating?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

wootmachine posted:

Are these people actually breaking into the stadium to do this, or is it just open?

Oh, and on a not-at-all-related note, I'm going to be in Austin for a week in March. Where do I need to be eating?

Careful, this is the way BBQ chat starts

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
It's just a rock

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

wootmachine posted:

SXSW week(s) or not?

If not, eat Franklin on Wednesday (generally the shortest line, get there by 10ish). You can do La BBQ on the other days, or Micklethwaite's if you don't want any line. If you have to BBQ in the evening, Stiles Switch is usually very good.

Torchy's Tacos is a must. You can Torchy's during SXSW. Taco Deli is a 2nd choice, so if you do tacos twice, do Taco Deli the 2nd time.

Chi'lantro BBQ is the best food trailer, but they also have a brick and mortar now.

Get a chicken fried steak somewhere. I think the one at Shady Grove is consistently good, but there are other good ones like at Hyde Park Grill. Apparently the one at Jack Allen's Kitchen (which is all the way down in Oak Hill), is phenomenal.

Some other well thought of food trucks: Peached Tortilla, East Side King, Kabobalicious, The Mighty Cone.

La Cocina de Consuelo is probably the most authentic tex-mex type place in town. Delicious. You could also go upscale Mexican. There are a bunch for that, but Fonda San Miguel always tops those lists.

I don't know how you feel about sushi and if you can get any good sushi where you're at, but if you like it and you can't get good stuff at home, Austin's got a few very good sushi restaurants. Uchi and Uchiko are the priciest, fine dining type places. Tomodachi in North Austin is nearly the same quality as Uchi, but a little bit less expensive. Hanabi is probably my favorite price::value place.

For upscale, chef-centered restaurants, my favorite is Foreign and Domestic. Plates there are around $25 (prices have gone up significantly since I was there last), but they served me probably the best steak I have ever had. Everything else is delicious too. Barley Swine and Odd Duck are other similar restaurants.

For sandwiches you have some new choices on Burnet in Noble Pig and Republic of Sandwich. I've not had the opportunity to go to either yet. My favorite deli (and 3rd favorite pizza) is at Little Deli in Crestview.

Favorite Pizza is Home Slice. I also hold a soft spot for Rounders Pizzeria, though I'm not quite sure why.

Finally, if you're going to drink outside of downtown, go to the Draughthouse Pub which has an excellent beer selection and a food trailer nightly. Drink a Live Oak Hefeweisen, especially if you're a fan of wheat beers. You can get Live Oak at a lot of restaurants around here, too. There are a whole lot of breweries offering tours. Austin Beerworks (good IPA, pils), Circle (decent hef from a tap, solid selection), Adelberts (belgian style beers), Live Oak (top US Hefeweisen, solid other lineup), Jester King (sour beers), Rogness, and so on.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

wootmachine posted:

You'd have to break into the stadium to get to it like that.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

kayakyakr posted:

SXSW week(s) or not?

If not, eat Franklin on Wednesday (generally the shortest line, get there by 10ish). You can do La BBQ on the other days, or Micklethwaite's if you don't want any line. If you have to BBQ in the evening, Stiles Switch is usually very good.

Torchy's Tacos is a must. You can Torchy's during SXSW. Taco Deli is a 2nd choice, so if you do tacos twice, do Taco Deli the 2nd time.

Chi'lantro BBQ is the best food trailer, but they also have a brick and mortar now.

Get a chicken fried steak somewhere. I think the one at Shady Grove is consistently good, but there are other good ones like at Hyde Park Grill. Apparently the one at Jack Allen's Kitchen (which is all the way down in Oak Hill), is phenomenal.

Some other well thought of food trucks: Peached Tortilla, East Side King, Kabobalicious, The Mighty Cone.

La Cocina de Consuelo is probably the most authentic tex-mex type place in town. Delicious. You could also go upscale Mexican. There are a bunch for that, but Fonda San Miguel always tops those lists.

I don't know how you feel about sushi and if you can get any good sushi where you're at, but if you like it and you can't get good stuff at home, Austin's got a few very good sushi restaurants. Uchi and Uchiko are the priciest, fine dining type places. Tomodachi in North Austin is nearly the same quality as Uchi, but a little bit less expensive. Hanabi is probably my favorite price::value place.

For upscale, chef-centered restaurants, my favorite is Foreign and Domestic. Plates there are around $25 (prices have gone up significantly since I was there last), but they served me probably the best steak I have ever had. Everything else is delicious too. Barley Swine and Odd Duck are other similar restaurants.

For sandwiches you have some new choices on Burnet in Noble Pig and Republic of Sandwich. I've not had the opportunity to go to either yet. My favorite deli (and 3rd favorite pizza) is at Little Deli in Crestview.

Favorite Pizza is Home Slice. I also hold a soft spot for Rounders Pizzeria, though I'm not quite sure why.

Finally, if you're going to drink outside of downtown, go to the Draughthouse Pub which has an excellent beer selection and a food trailer nightly. Drink a Live Oak Hefeweisen, especially if you're a fan of wheat beers. You can get Live Oak at a lot of restaurants around here, too. There are a whole lot of breweries offering tours. Austin Beerworks (good IPA, pils), Circle (decent hef from a tap, solid selection), Adelberts (belgian style beers), Live Oak (top US Hefeweisen, solid other lineup), Jester King (sour beers), Rogness, and so on.

I'll second most of this and add:

- There are also Black's BBQ joints in town now. Really good food.
- the former brewmater from Odell in Colorado opened Pinthouse Pizza which has great pizza and beers they brew
- Noble Sandwich Co has the best Pimento Cheese sandwich I've ever had
- Upscale? Barley Swine is probably my favorite and Olivia has a bomb brunch
- Best beer bar downtown is Gingerman, in my opinion
- If you want great Banh Mi, there's a cart, Lulu B's, on South Lamar only open for lunch which takes cash only that is amazing. Make sure to check that they are open before going.

I guess the real question is what part of town are you staying in?

If it's during SXSW, expect to wait everywhere you go and possibly not get into places because there's a private event going on. Have fun, don't be an rear end in a top hat and enjoy the probably great weather.

edit: also, lots of good Ramen in town if you want some. Had the Texas ramen from Michi last night. It's essentially BBQ soup and amazing.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 26, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So now Silas Nacita's brother has started a GoFundMe for Nacita's student loans. Even though I thought Nacita had a quality Academic Scholarship and someone providing housing.

I'm not at all sure what to take from this circus.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Neil Armbong posted:

- There are also Black's BBQ joints in town now. Really good food.

I haven't had a chance to try Terry Black's. They had a terrible launch, but I've heard that they've been improving since. The Black's BBQ on the drag is just shipped in from Lockhart and reheated in the oven. No reason to go there, ever.

There are many other good BBQ places: Brown's, Slab, Freedman's, John Mueller's (which I didn't mention originally because I'm not comfortable sending people there. He's got a consistency issue), Kerlin (which only does bbq on Friday), Blue Ox.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

kayakyakr posted:

Get a chicken fried steak somewhere. I think the one at Shady Grove is consistently good, but there are other good ones like at Hyde Park Grill.
If you end up at Hyde Park Grill get the collard greens, they're awesome

wootmachine
Aug 28, 2006

HAIL SABAN
Yeah, I'm there for SXSW interactive week. Just trying to make a shortlist of places I should hit up early.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
The Grand Island arts scene

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Real Name Grover posted:

some folks call em cornhuskers but i just call em huskers mmm yep

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

This is so ridiculous that he has to issue an apology.

"Yes, I'm sincerely sorry that I chose to accept housing that was offered to me instead of being homeless."

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

I haven't had a chance to try Terry Black's. They had a terrible launch, but I've heard that they've been improving since. The Black's BBQ on the drag is just shipped in from Lockhart and reheated in the oven. No reason to go there, ever.

Is it really such a terrible thing that the meat is driven over from the actual famous establishment, which is located about 45 minutes away? That seems more promising than to me than if they just opened a totally new place with the same name.

I am going to become rich when I open a BBQ joint that just buys from Smitty's at a bulk rate and sells it hot in Austin.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Oh by the way, if you want a one of a kind dining experience in Austin try Nubian Queen Lo-La's. Excellent cajun/soul food made for you by a cool lady in a very homey atmosphere.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Speaking of the NCAA being dumb, some fairly recent rule changes resulted in LSU getting slapped with penalties when a recruit swapped from LSU.

The recruit signed a financial aid agreement (FAA) with LSU which according to the NCAA allows for unlimited contact. However, a recent rule change indicates that if the recruit ends up signing a letter of intent with a different school after signing a FAA with the first school, then some of the extra contact during the period after the FAA signing could be a violation.

LSU ended up being the first school to fall in this unfortunate position and self reported.

So of course the NCAA decides to slap them with recruiting violations for something that was out of their control.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

dude789 posted:

Speaking of the NCAA being dumb, some fairly recent rule changes resulted in LSU getting slapped with penalties when a recruit swapped from LSU.

The recruit signed a financial aid agreement (FAA) with LSU which according to the NCAA allows for unlimited contact. However, a recent rule change indicates that if the recruit ends up signing a letter of intent with a different school after signing a FAA with the first school, then some of the extra contact during the period after the FAA signing could be a violation.

LSU ended up being the first school to fall in this unfortunate position and self reported.

So of course the NCAA decides to slap them with recruiting violations for something that was out of their control.

Yeah, the NCAA made a pretty dumb rule. But it's Slive & the idiots at the SEC who handed down the penalty.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

Is it really such a terrible thing that the meat is driven over from the actual famous establishment, which is located about 45 minutes away? That seems more promising than to me than if they just opened a totally new place with the same name.

I am going to become rich when I open a BBQ joint that just buys from Smitty's at a bulk rate and sells it hot in Austin.

Yes, it's terrible. We have more than enough excellent BBQ places in town, there's no need to buy reheated BBQ from Lockhart.

If they want to capitalize on the name, get a good pit man, train him at the original, move him to Austin and sling BBQ that can match the "fame" that you've generated by being the 3rd best BBQ place in Lockhart.

Until then, Austin will continue to be dominated by BBQ from the Mueller tree.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Yeah, the NCAA made a pretty dumb rule. But it's Slive & the idiots at the SEC who handed down the penalty.

Well, if they didnt the NCAA would have gone over board after taking two years to investigate.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

swickles posted:

Well, if they didnt the NCAA would have gone over board after taking two years to investigate.

Maybe, but it's a very, very perilous rule to begin with. I imagine the SEC could've taken the report from LSU's compliance office and told Miles & Co., "Try not to do that again".

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

kayakyakr posted:

Yes, it's terrible. We have more than enough excellent BBQ places in town, there's no need to buy reheated BBQ from Lockhart.

If they want to capitalize on the name, get a good pit man, train him at the original, move him to Austin and sling BBQ that can match the "fame" that you've generated by being the 3rd best BBQ place in Lockhart.

Until then, Austin will continue to be dominated by BBQ from the Mueller tree.

Perhaps so. I'm still getting caught up. I just moved back and my primary BBQ bro has been veganized by a girl. I want Smitty's.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

Perhaps so. I'm still getting caught up. I just moved back and my primary BBQ bro has been veganized by a girl. I want Smitty's.

Hit up La BBQ, Micklethwaite's, John Mueller's, Blue Ox, Brown's, Freedman's, and Stiles Switch and then decide if you still want Smitty's. BBQ scene has exploded in the last 2 years.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Thermos H Christ posted:

This is how you end up on a plane where two "service dogs" are wrestling and growling and barking in the aisle.

This sounds like a fun plane

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

AsInHowe posted:

This sounds like a fun plane

It was the business model for AirVick, but they lost their start up money.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

The walkway in the Conestoga mall is the exact place I'd expect to see something like that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The SEC is so dope

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Spiritus Nox posted:

That said, it's not as though he's lost his Academic Scholarship or his housing, and by all accounts he's a fantastic student

He transferred from Cornell to Baylor, how fantastic can he possibly be

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

He transferred from Cornell to Baylor, how fantastic can he possibly be

He's a very poor Texas kid who didn't fit in with the Northeastern/Ivy League people, and couldn't take the winter weather. He also could not understand their failure to worship football above all else. It was just a bad fit.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 27, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Thermos H Christ posted:

He's a very poor Texas kid who didn't fit in with the Northeastern/Ivy League people, and couldn't take the winter weather. He also could not understand their failure to worship football above all else. It was just a bad fit.

If the latter is true then :shrug: I'd think I would get over football if it meant I could live better

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Top Hats Monthly posted:

If the latter is true then :shrug: I'd think I would get over football if it meant I could live better

Look at this casual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scarf posted:

Yup.

• Locked thread