Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Internet explorer has done that (since 7 I believe) and so does firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
firefox does the same thing on windows if you don't have the title bar enabled. only reason I keep the titlebar off tbh

e:f;b

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Suspicious Dish posted:

I actually legitimately did not know that was a feature.

once you've got them visible you can just go to the view options and there's one to make them visible all the time

the windows part of microsoft still cared about users in those days

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Wild EEPROM posted:

how and why is x still a thing holy poo poo next are you going to tell me that xfree86 is too

xfree86 still has two lonely guys who argue on the mailing list

it's essentially dead though. they made a scary license change and X.org forked from the last version released under the original license

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Soricidus posted:

once you've got them visible you can just go to the view options and there's one to make them visible all the time

the windows part of microsoft still cared about users in those days
this was also the only thing that made windows media player useful at all

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

xfree86 is not a thing. killing x is my part-time job.

I've had like three ideas for jokes based on this statemnt, and honestly none of them are worthy of the pos.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Smythe posted:

brasero cant add this mp4 to dvd author. other dvd tools UBUNTUFORUMS or the arch wiki or IDK are the most insane poo poo ever, what good dvd authoring tool? ubuntu.... linux.... ideally like for noobs. click file ... add... burn. u know. i dont watnt to make a video.ts and audio.ts then do a thing in terminal, hen burn them or whatever. wtf is that poo poo. jesus christ
k3b is okay

needs kdelibs though

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
k3b i think i need to.. like... add the video.ts and audio.ts? i cant find a way to just click the mp4 and have it author it. im loving retarded

pram
Jun 10, 2001
have you tried imovie

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Mar 14, 2015

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sniep posted:

no this is a 220 dpi screenshot

its beautiful

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol why would you continue to paint a window while it's being moved

outlines don't tear

desktop compositing? yeah we tried it, it made poo poo slower and there was even more tearing

linux llol

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

cthulhoo posted:

desktop compositing? yeah we tried it, it made poo poo slower and there was even more tearing

linux llol

Someone should compost the linux desktop honestly.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Soricidus posted:

ah, yes, the one where the old menus appear as soon as you press alt so everyone who knows how to use a computer can carry on being productive?

fwiw the menu bar is on by default in explorer.exe in windows 8(.1) afaict

e: oic, it goes to the ribbons anyway

welp not like I even remember what the old explorer.exe menus even looked like

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

ruby idiot railed posted:

welp not like I even remember what the old explorer.exe menus even looked like

like poo poo

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
lmao i just checked. the "Help" menu has an "Is this copy of Windows legal?" option

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Suspicious Dish posted:

lmao i just checked. the "Help" menu has an "Is this copy of Windows legal?" option

more anti counterfeit devices than a god damned $100 bill

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Software.aspx#Packaging

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
ah yes clearly anybody that has a pirated windows installation bought it unsuspecting from a wily criminal and was hoodwinked!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

well, is it?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol if your OS isn't free*

*like beer. Apple operating system X

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

well, is it?

clicking it sent me to a 404 on the microsoft website. so i still dont know!!!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

ah yes clearly anybody that has a pirated windows installation bought it unsuspecting from a wily criminal and was hoodwinked!

doesn't that menu option exist so employees rat out their companies?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
OP how do i tell if this copy is legal?

i dont see anywhere in here to validate if this poo poo is Genuine or not

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
it's easier to tell if you use a real linux instead of that weak-rear end apple poo poo

real linux is legal iff you have bought a license from sco for the stolen unix source code

wait, you might need an ms patent license too I guess?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

is sco even alive yet

lol if it is

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

cthulhoo posted:

is sco even alive yet

lol if it is

someone tried to get me to help them work on an actual sco unix machine last year

money wasn't worth it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cthulhoo posted:

is sco even alive yet

lol if it is

the current incarnation of sco is a tiny company called xinuous. no, i don't know why they would take on a name that suggests snakes. it was formed by whoever bought unixware + opensewer when the previous sco got liquidated

the "sco" that got famous for lawsuits was actually caldera linux systems. caldera, the linux people, bought the operating systems arm of the original sco group, then changed their name to "sco"

after selling the OS business to caldera, the original sco changed their name to tarantella. tarentella in turn was sold to sun. their product is still technically offered for sale by oracle.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ugh secure desktop is complete poo poo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Menu navigation was actually that regularly came up in user testing, and is something that regularly annoys me in Windows apps as well. Newer Windows apps don't have classic menubars anymore.

Quick, where is the Preferences in Adobe Photoshop, MS Word and Visual Studio?

File -> Preferences
Edit -> Preferences
Tools -> Options

you know where the “Preferences…” menu item is on OS X?

in the application menu, in every app that follows the Human Interface Guidelines, which is virtually every single loving one of them that isn’t a lovely port—and even many of them that are.

maybe you shouldn’t bother looking to utter poo poo operating systems like Windows for UI design inspiration. then again, I was saying that to the designers of X-Windows interfaces before X11R4 (and some yosposters) even existed. at least the Amiga and Atari ST tried to build on what the Lisa and Macintosh did.

there’s a goddamn reason OS X has a menu bar across the top of the screen, just like the Lisa did 32 years ago, and it’s not “branding” or “momentum” or any such bullshit.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

there’s a goddamn reason OS X has a menu bar across the top of the screen, just like the Lisa did 32 years ago, and it’s not “branding” or “momentum” or any such bullshit.

having preferences under the apple menu was a good idea. why not be consistent for a thing every app has?

the menu bar at the top of the screen is not. it made a lot of sense on a 640x400 lisa screen. it was loving stupid on a 1152x900 unix workstation. a single window title and menu bar at the top of the screen defeats the purpose of having multiple windows.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
by the way the actual reason for the bar is branding

osx has no origins in macos at all. the early "rhapsody" releases didn't have the top-of-screen bar. they added that specifically to make it seem more like classic macos

sure, it set back usability hugely, but it kept the ~*~ brand ~*~ intact

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

Cool, so you're saying that menubars are bad and you prefer a one menu that has everything.

the menu bar is good.

putting a menu bar in each window sucks. there’s a reason it was rejected during development of the Lisa in favor of a top-of-screen menu, and the ease of targeting objects with fine versus gross motor control in Homo sapiens has not magically changed over the last 35 years.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

putting a menu bar in each window sucks. there’s a reason it was rejected during development of the Lisa in favor of a top-of-screen menu, and the ease of targeting objects with fine versus gross motor control in Homo sapiens has not magically changed over the last 35 years.

it was rejected because the lisa had a primitive mouse and an extremely blurry 10" screen. homo sapiens is the same, our human interface devices have changed.

rather, the affordability changed. good mice and large, sharp screens existed in 1983, but they didn't fit into the lisa's cost/price envelope

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 28, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

having preferences under the apple menu was a good idea. why not be consistent for a thing every app has?

the menu bar at the top of the screen is not. it made a lot of sense on a 640x400 lisa screen. it was loving stupid on a 1152x900 unix workstation. a single window title and menu bar at the top of the screen defeats the purpose of having multiple windows.

windows have titles separate from the app, you're conflating the two.

and don't you think Apple actually studied the acquirability of targets at the edges of a screen versus the interior? and the ease of use of a menu bar versus a pop-up menu under the mouse pointer? (hint: they did)

I suppose if you're using a lovely system that doesn't have a reasonable mouse acceleration curve you might have trouble hitting the menu bar. on a Mac (or a NeXT or on BeOS, all of which actually handle mouse acceleration right) you can hit it just fine on even the biggest multi-screen systems, faster than any other alternatives.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

how and why is x still a thing holy poo poo next are you going to tell me that xfree86 is too

what's xfree86, why does there need to be a separate X for BSD and Linux on the PC?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

by the way the actual reason for the bar is branding

osx has no origins in macos at all. the early "rhapsody" releases didn't have the top-of-screen bar. they added that specifically to make it seem more like classic macos

sure, it set back usability hugely, but it kept the ~*~ brand ~*~ intact

the nextstep menu isn't that different than osx. it was the same for all applications, just like macos

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

what's xfree86, why does there need to be a separate X for BSD and Linux on the PC?

xfree86 was where x used to be developed until one day it became closed-source so the community forked it and now we have xorg

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what a loving joke bsd. a menu bar across the whole screen is a bad idea. like windows? like gnome? lol stfu

pram
Jun 10, 2001
in fact gnome 3 is literally the worst offender because it has TWO full length bars on the top and bottom AND per-application menus lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

in fact gnome 3 is literally the worst