Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Leck posted:

parks and rec is a toned down version of reality because no one would believe the actual things that citizens speak to their government about.

i once was half passed out and watched a zoning board debate if they wanted to renew a permit so someone could keep some tigers like 500 feet from a park in a residential neighborhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
actually it wasn't really debate and just a bunch of people yelling at the applicants for being idiots

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
tbf it was also the zoning board for las vegas

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
was the applicant sigfried or roy?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

quote:

I told Magic I wanted a headset for a landline — an admittedly old-man journalist request. And I wanted it for Tuesday, the next day, thinking Magic would get some courier to pick it up from a local store in Manhattan. This is supposed to be magic, after all.

A few texts later, Magic said I could get it in two to three business days for $18. Not exactly magic, I thought. More like … Amazon.com. I explained I’d love to get it the next day, instead. Again, I was told it would be two to three business days. But it then asked what time I needed it on Tuesday. I gave Magic a six-hour window smack in the middle of the day.
http://recode.net/2015/02/25/i-tried-out-magic-the-new-text-message-concierge-and-it-was-far-from-magical/

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

quote:

These apps rely on a) rich people overpaying b) a plentiful supply of underemployed serfs. It’s the Hunger Games economy.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

literally people too poor to be Actually Rich mimicking the behavior of people who are Actually Rich

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

uncurable mlady posted:

literally people too poor to be Actually Rich mimicking the behavior of people who are Actually Rich
that's where the money's to be made, Mercedes sells a lot more c-class than maybachs

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

quote:

These apps rely on a) rich people overpaying b) a plentiful supply of underemployed serfs. It’s the Hunger Games economy.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there's a segment of the population that has an unstoppable boner for the whole concierge idea and they think everyone wants the same thing

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

uncurable mlady posted:

this is basically the tech bubble in a nutshell

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FMguru posted:

was the applicant sigfried or roy?

no, some people trying to star in reality tv for animal planet

but there was a conga line of protesters who inevitably referenced roy when they got a chance to speak

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

same idea, different topic

quote:

The tagline of Zirx for iPhone (free) is "never park your car again." It's an on-demand valet service that's currently available in in San Francisco and Seattle. The way it works is this: after creating an account (including credit card information), you use the app to tell an agent where you'll be when you no longer need your car. That agent then meets you, identities are confirmed, and your car is driven to a secure garage.

Need your car back? Let the app know when and where you'll be, and your car is delivered to where you stand. Zirx agents will even wash your vehicle or gas it up for an additional fee.
hey chas please meet me in an alley next to 6th and mission

e: I just realized that means you need a place to wait with your car for the 7 minutes or whatever it takes for the person to get there, like a "space" to "park" it in temporarily

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qirex posted:

there's a segment of the population that has an unstoppable boner for the whole concierge idea and they think everyone wants the same thing

people really like the idea of having someone, anyone, at their beck and call. especially when they spend their day at someone else's.

imagine how miserable the existence of that phone operator was when all the sv assholes joined up to make random pointless requests.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

quote:

There’s a whole other discussion to be had about a company accessing my order requests/information without my permission, but that’s for another time.

am I missing something? he complained at the owner, got special treatment and then as an aside complained that the company he's asking to do stuff for him reviewed his request in order to fulfill it for him?

yeah it's creepy when some random shitlord at uber can call you when you're on your way to their offices and go 'I SEEeeeEE YOU ON OUR MaaAAAaaaP' but hey way to work that into a totally unrelated story I guess

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

people really like the idea of having someone, anyone, at their beck and call. especially when they spend their day at someone else's.

imagine how miserable the existence of that phone operator was when all the sv assholes joined up to make random pointless requests.

striver "aspirationals" love it but actual rich people don't really give a gently caress, they just want there to be exactly 12 vitamin waters in the fridge on their yacht at all times they don't even want to see who does it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Aereo, the Web TV company whose existence could have posed a threat to some of TV’s biggest players, is going out with a whimper: The company, which had raised around $100 million in venture capital, has sold off its assets in a bankruptcy auction that fetched less than $2 million.

“We are very disappointed with the results of the auction. This has been a very difficult sales process and the results reflect that,” Aereo attorney William Baldiga said in a statement.

According to a source familiar with the proceedings, DVR-maker TiVo bought Aereo’s trademark and subscriber lists; patent holding company RPX Corp. bought the company’s patents; and Alliance Technologies purchased Aereo’s equipment.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qirex posted:

striver "aspirationals" love it but actual rich people don't really give a gently caress, they just want there to be exactly 12 vitamin waters in the fridge on their yacht at all times they don't even want to see who does it

yep. when you've really hit those levels of power and wealth you simply expect that your every whim is anticipated (because you have people who specialize in making sure that is exactly what happens).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

qirex posted:

Aereo, the Web TV company whose existence could have posed a threat to some of TV’s biggest players, is going out with a whimper: The company, which had raised around $100 million in venture capital, has sold off its assets in a bankruptcy auction that fetched less than $2 million.

“We are very disappointed with the results of the auction. This has been a very difficult sales process and the results reflect that,” Aereo attorney William Baldiga said in a statement.

According to a source familiar with the proceedings, DVR-maker TiVo bought Aereo’s trademark and subscriber lists; patent holding company RPX Corp. bought the company’s patents; and Alliance Technologies purchased Aereo’s equipment.

running a fleet of rape wagons in direct violation of a raft of laws explicitly forbidding jitneys is hunky dory, but rebroadcasting freely broadcast signal?

hohoho, I don't think so Sparky!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stringent posted:

running a fleet of rape wagons in direct violation of a raft of laws explicitly forbidding jitneys is hunky dory, but rebroadcasting freely broadcast signal?

hohoho, I don't think so Sparky!

if uber broke federal law they'd be crushed by now

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hobbesmaster posted:

if uber broke federal law they'd be crushed by now

someone needs to get uber to get into the trucking business

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

qirex posted:

concierge services are my poo poo, I just wish I could afford to hire a real one because these 1099-economy replicas are all p bad

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

qirex posted:

patent holding company RPX Corp. bought the company’s patents;

and thats the death of anyone, ever, trying it again even if they changed the rules.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my building has a concierge and ive never asked them to do a single thing for me

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

and thats the death of anyone, ever, trying it again even if they changed the rules.

:patriot:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

computer parts posted:

someone needs to get uber to get into the trucking business

shits bananas according to the stories my truck booker friends tell me

the russians in chicago all collude and drive prices up 3x its p funny

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

triple sulk posted:

thon is a loving plague. i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take the carbon footprint into equation at all. just donate the loving money and stop screaming 'for the kids' like passive-aggressively smug philanthropists

I know something else Penn state did for the kids.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

I know something else Penn state did for the kids.

lol kids got raped so the football team could win. #WeAre

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i cant believe theyre going to restore joe paternos wins even after he raped all those kids

Whiskerando
Mar 13, 2011

qirex posted:

oh cool tivo still exists

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Whiskerando posted:

oh cool tivo still exists

That reminds me, I need to look into ditching my cable because that poo poo is getting way too expensive for how little I watch. The annoying part is the savings won't be that great because my internet is discounted as part of the 'bundle".

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

their entire valuation was based on their ability to steal NFL content and rebroadcast it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FMguru posted:

i cant believe theyre going to restore joe paternos wins even after he raped all those kids

the NCAA is trying to best the IOC/FIFA in being the worst and most corrupt

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shaggar posted:

the NCAA is trying to best the IOC/FIFA in being the worst and most corrupt

great, another bullshit nusport where every contestant wins

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TerminalRaptor posted:

That reminds me, I need to look into ditching my cable because that poo poo is getting way too expensive for how little I watch. The annoying part is the savings won't be that great because my internet is discounted as part of the 'bundle".
Sling TV's basic package costs $20. How much more over "just internet" are you paying to begin with?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

same idea, different topic

e: I just realized that means you need a place to wait with your car for the 7 minutes or whatever it takes for the person to get there, like a "space" to "park" it in temporarily

True but my coworker at amazon says they have a bunch of dudes just hanging outside the offices so they are there in 10 seconds lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

FMguru posted:

I know you're joking here but as the big guy in charge he might as well have.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

even at my old high school where one of the football coaches/assistant principals got fired and thrown in jail for writing up girls who wouldn't gently caress him they fired the coach and the principal and people protested demanding their coaches back because got drat it football

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Luigi Thirty posted:

even at my old high school where one of the football coaches/assistant principals got fired and thrown in jail for writing up girls who wouldn't gently caress him they fired the coach and the principal and people protested demanding their coaches back because got drat it football

people need an identity and they will do anything to preserve it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

TerminalRaptor posted:

If you are paying less money than before then you are paying less money, even if it is only 20 dollars less than before

• Locked thread