Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Ahahaha I just found out today that the mayor of Vancouver has a mistress who is a minor Chinese pop star 20 years his junior who now just happens to be in some cushy appointed position in the city government.

I wish there was a bugs bunny sawing off Florida gif except it's Vancouver. Why do Chinese people want to go to Vancouver? It's literally just China.

I even have some of her songs on my phone, no idea since I don't particularly follow the personal lives of entertainers. The songs are OK. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

Ahahaha I just found out today that the mayor of Vancouver has a mistress who is a minor Chinese pop star 20 years his junior who now just happens to be in some cushy appointed position in the city government.

I wish there was a bugs bunny sawing off Florida gif except it's Vancouver. Why do Chinese people want to go to Vancouver? It's literally just China.

I even have some of her songs on my phone, no idea since I don't particularly follow the personal lives of entertainers. The songs are OK. :3:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

my stepdads beer posted:

Yeah they are obsessed with inspections here in Australia. Thankfully my current landlord hasn't popped around in about 2 years. My friends all get inspected every 3 months, for some reason. I believe you have to be given a weeks notice though.

Yeah, when we first got a lease here my husband was shocked that the owners didn't want two payslips, a letter from his employer and references. They were just like "oh yeah we like you wanna come over and sign the lease?"

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
To be fair, cushy appointed positions in the city government are easy to come by if you're just plain rich. "Donate" $X to Vision, get on the economic advisory board.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So how quickly are the teaching jobs in Alberta going to disappear? My girlfriend says that they're still putting them out for positions for 2nd semester as well as next year...

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Wow gently caress! I should find a way to run for Mayor in Vancouver, clearly the office has its benefits.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Throatwarbler posted:

I dunno - it sounds like they started dating after she got involved with the city (does she have a position? I think they just got her endorsement so they could be big in China. ) It also sounds like it was after he separated from his wife, so she's not exactly his "mistress". :shrug:

I guess even if innocent it is still funny that the first woman he dates is directly tied to promoting Vancouver real estate in China.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It also sounds like it was after he separated from his wife, so she's not exactly his "mistress". :shrug:

:roflolmao: That's what they all loving say.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Yeah Vancouver is literally China. Exactly the same except for a lack of air pollution, majority white Anglo population, one hour drive to the states, not a communist dictatorship, etc etc. how anyone can tell the difference is beyond me.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 27, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

THC posted:

Yeah Vancouver is literally China. Exactly the same except for a lack of air pollution, majority white Anglo population, one hour drive to the states, not a communist dictatorship, etc etc. how anyone can tell the difference is beyond me.

quote:

Canada Debt Bubble: Uncle Wong's Cabin

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's funny watching the Albertan government struggle with how to soften recession.

Budget must stay balanced despite losing millions of dollars in oil money due to price of oil getting halved, raising taxes is impossible it will scare away jobs(no sales tax in province) and also sacrifices need to be made such as forcing people to pay extra health premiums for medical care.

Also make sure to wave the white flag on attracting other types of businesses:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/is-economic-diversification-the-answer-to-alberta-s-financial-woes-1.2973538

also lol

http://www.stalbertgazette.com/article/20150225/SAG0801/302259994

quote:

Alberta’s economy always bounces back, Rhys Chouinard promised at Tuesday’s economic development breakfast.
Based on the province’s recovery from the last recession, the city’s corporate analyst promised a rosy outlook for the future of Alberta’s and St. Albert’s economy.
“We are in a economy with a lot of momentum going into the recent low oil price environment,” he said.

Chouinard said Alberta remains one of the major economic drivers in Canada. Following the 2009 recession, it surpassed Quebec’s growth by four times. The only provinces growing faster were Saskatchewan and Newfoundland. Due to their smaller sizes their contributions to Canada’s economy are smaller, though, he said.
Alberta also continues to experience strong population growth from job creation. People move here from abroad and other provinces. While Canada’s population typically grows by one per cent a year, Alberta’s population grew by over three per cent in 2014.

I guess he overlooks how things like population increases and job growth were mainly driven by the artificial commodity bubble over the last few years.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jim Prentice is a massive, massive moron, and we get what we deserve for election morons time after painful loving time. Special Ed's tenure should've been enough to convince anyone with two braincells to rub together than, if the PCs had a clue, they'd be sitting in the corner playing with it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Jim Prentice is a massive, massive moron, and we get what we deserve for election morons time after painful loving time. Special Ed's tenure should've been enough to convince anyone with two braincells to rub together than, if the PCs had a clue, they'd be sitting in the corner playing with it.

I'm curious. Considering what your perspective tends to be, which of the provincial political parties do you think would be the best choice for Alberta, with what we know of their backgrounds and platforms?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Throatwarbler posted:

It's literally just China.

you are literally a moron

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mederlock posted:

I'm curious. Considering what your perspective tends to be, which of the provincial political parties do you think would be the best choice for Alberta, with what we know of their backgrounds and platforms?

Liberal Party of Alberta, no question. Sensible about the budget, not completely opposed to the oil industry, socially progressive, and no relationship to whacko religious nutbags.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If I owned Mordor and Alberta, I'd rent Alberta and live in Mordor

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Liberal Party of Alberta, no question. Sensible about the budget, not completely opposed to the oil industry, socially progressive, and no relationship to whacko religious nutbags.

:unsmith:

The last 3 people I asked this question at work around the water cooler, so to speak, all said Wild Rose. Because the only party more visionary and capable of getting Alberta out of the incoming shitstorm other then the PC party is obviously the Wild Rose right???? At least that's what they thought. Our province is so hosed.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

etalian posted:

If I owned Mordor and Alberta, I'd rent Alberta and live in Mordor

The foundations of Mordor towers tend to be stronger than those of Canadian condo buildings, at least.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bartlebyshop posted:

The foundations of Mordor towers tend to be stronger than those of Canadian condo buildings, at least.

also orcs make better neighbors compared to Albertans

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

etalian posted:

also orcs make better neighbors compared to Albertans

Where the hell are you getting your opinion of Albertans, anyway? Yeah, a lot of people here are dumb as gently caress and aggravating at times, but that can also be said about every other place on earth I've been or lived. What do you find so specifically disagreeable about Albertans?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm upset as gently caress about perceived racial discrimination against citizens of a country that's about a thousand times more relevant and important than Canada has ever been on the global stage. It seriously bothers me that we even express the slightest speck of discrimination towards a class of citizens that, historically, have committed far more than even the worst of ... white devil ... imperialistic crimes.

I'm going to come out and say it. I cannot hold my silence one moment longer. I absolutely refuse to stand by and watch Canadians denigrate the good name of the wealthy of China. It's incredibly racist filth that's being spewed forth here. Utter racist and systemic suppression and oppression of investors of Chinese origin. It's sick, and it's loving wrong. You all should be loving ashamed of yourselves.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Just like Saudi Arabia it wouldn't have any value to world if it didn't have piles of oil.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PT6A posted:

Where the hell are you getting your opinion of Albertans, anyway? Yeah, a lot of people here are dumb as gently caress and aggravating at times, but that can also be said about every other place on earth I've been or lived. What do you find so specifically disagreeable about Albertans?

Maybe they drove here once

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Whiteycar posted:

In Mordor you do run the risk of being stabbed with a cursed blade such that you are trapped in endless unlife, forced to serve forever, but at least you don't have to drive all the way to BC from Calgary.

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:
H-how dare these non-whites be richer than me! It's so unfair! :qq:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brannock posted:

I'm going to come out and say it. I cannot hold my silence one moment longer. I absolutely refuse to stand by and watch Canadians denigrate the good name of the wealthy of Israel. It's incredibly racist filth that's being spewed forth here. Utter racist and systemic suppression and oppression of investors of Jewish origin. It's sick, and it's loving wrong. You all should be loving ashamed of yourselves.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bartlebyshop posted:

In Mordor you do run the risk of being stabbed with a cursed blade such that you are trapped in endless unlife, forced to serve forever, but at least you don't have to drive all the way to BC from Calgary.

Couldn't you just have eagles carry you over Alberta?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

etalian posted:

Couldn't you just have eagles carry you over Alberta?

I think the forces of good are rather reluctant to help those who are tax residents of Mordor while slumlording on the prairie.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Whiteycar posted:

Ohh, yeah, that's probably it. Our drivers have to be some of the worst in the entire loving world. I took a cab home the other night because I was drunk, and the loving cabbie broke the distracted driving law three or four times, missed lights turning green at two intersections in a row, and ran a 4-way stop, narrowly avoiding a vehicle that was proceeding legally through the intersection.

Now: those are our professional drivers, held to a standard higher than others in theory. Just imagine how pitiful the average driver is in this city.

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014
I would not want to play Shadows of Alberta

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bartlebyshop posted:

I think the forces of good are rather reluctant to help those who are tax residents of Mordor while slumlording on the prairie.

eagles would also probably choke to death from all the hydrocarbon fumes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

etalian posted:

eagles would also probably choke to death from all the hydrocarbon fumes.

Yep, Banff National Park: what a shithole. No nature, no animals, nothing! Jasper? What's there to see? You might as well be smoking two packs of day rather than breathing that polluted air...

Honestly, what are you basing your opinions of Alberta on? I'm not sure you've ever actually been here.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

PT6A posted:

Yep, Banff National Park: what a shithole. No nature, no animals, nothing! Jasper? What's there to see? You might as well be smoking two packs of day rather than breathing that polluted air...

Honestly, what are you basing your opinions of Alberta on? I'm not sure you've ever actually been here.

Maybe he rented from a landlord who turned out to be an immortal undead sorcerer?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Count Canuckula posted:

I would not want to play Shadows of Alberta

A nemesis system whereby a piss poor driver who runs you over sequentially upgrades to a pickup truck -> 18-wheeler -> monster truck.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PT6A posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwinMu7-ZrI

Count Canuckula
Oct 22, 2014

Heavy neutrino posted:

A nemesis system whereby a piss poor driver who runs you over sequentially upgrades to a pickup truck -> 18-wheeler -> monster truck.

I take back my previous statement

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Industrial sites are industrial, I agree!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Count Canuckula posted:

I take back my previous statement

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is it ok to really hate privileged criminals and rude arrogant rich people as a general class? And/or people who buy their into the country to stash their mostly ill-gotten money only to become a net drain while thousands of honest hard working people wait for years in our lovely racist immigration system? I don't care where you're from, if you meet the above criteria I'm going to dislike you as a class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mainlanders are basically a good example of horrible new money, similar to post soviet union rich russian oligarchs.