Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

folks who went to UTA, what did your funding offers look like?

Like I said, leadership. This is the American dream.

ut arlington is a safety school for people who couldn't get into ut austin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Zeitgueist posted:

i mean when has arming groups in the mideast ever backfired on us?
Hence the :unsmigghh:

It's better than sending weapons to the Iraqi government and hoping the Kurds get part of it (which they don't)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fade5 posted:

gently caress.
:suicide:
I'm starting to understand the jokes about following politics leading to drinking.

Can we at least start arming the Kurds directly?:unsmigghh:

I told ya'll a good anti-isis atrategy last year: Make them cry uncle. Show them what we're made of.

We're made of steel hearts and mother's laments.

ISIS attracts individuals because they are angry that their state institutions are weak and do not incorporate them. Rather than founding institutions and compromising those systems in acceptable manners, they join ISIS.

Well, the only way to dissuade them is to show them their place: They can die from above, work within systems, or kill themselves. This is why Obama is weak on ISIS, why his madrasa education has compromised him on the issue. He's unwilling to engage in this fight like a war, like we engaged fascism in europe or whipped the kaiser.

Now that? Using the full firepower of America's arsenal, making ISIS territory resemble the surface of the moon? That's dealing with ISIS in a manner which middle-america can understand.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I take solace in the fact that I will never be as crazy as Rahm Emanuel MIGF.:unsmith:

And I'm terrified when I realize there are people who unironically believe most of what he's saying.:suicide:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

fade5 posted:

Hence the :unsmigghh:

It's better than sending weapons to the Iraqi government and hoping the Kurds get part of it (which they don't)

I mean, let's be real here- this is going to be nowhere near as bad as what happened in Rwanda after the genocide, and the KDP, PUK, and PKK aren't engaging in the rhetoric the RPA was using. So there's that, at least.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
speaking of drugs, those of you not watching cpac missed an obviously intoxicated Gary Johnson get fed up with anti-weed biddy and fake having a heart attack on stage

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You sound like an awesome dude. :420:

I don't blaze it.

I just drink.

Come to Chicago I will buy you deep dish and booze.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Rahm, how can we best ensure the greatest number of dead Muslims while also boosting the performance metrics of our schools? I'm envisioning a program to use underperforming kids from South Side public schools as vectors for biological warfare, can I count on your support lobbying for a WMD facility downstate? A union shop, of course.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

do you hear me!!!

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Chantilly Say posted:

Rahm, how can we best ensure the greatest number of dead Muslims while also boosting the performance metrics of our schools? I'm envisioning a program to use underperforming kids from South Side public schools as vectors for biological warfare, can I count on your support lobbying for a WMD facility downstate? A union shop, of course.

We already do this through the military. I would want to fact check this, but the poor and African Americans are overrepresented in the armed forces, especially in frontline combat roles. The military of course only subsidizes post high school educations. I propose that we set up ROTC run charter schools on the south side.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeitgueist posted:

gently caress you Willa is a good poster

noi she isnt'

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

she is

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
she has Bad Opinions about transgender

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fade5 posted:

I take solace in the fact that I will never be as crazy as Rahm Emanuel MIGF.:unsmith:

And I'm terrified when I realize there are people who unironically believe most of what he's saying.:suicide:

We've tried accomodating them. We've tried troop draw-downs and withdrawals. We've tried compromising our principles.

We haven't tried meeting them where they understand this conflict: As a race war. And you know what happened America fought a race war to win? We nuked some cities.

You can rule by love, or you can rule by fear. Love is expensive, and something which the terrorusts have not for us. So lets make anyone thinking about joining ISIS or its successor idealogies afraid. Afraid that doing so will kill their family and produce no results. Afraid that when we find them, we will castrate them, chop off their hands, and then return them where we found them.

Sinnlos posted:

We already do this through the military. I would want to fact check this, but the poor and African Americans are overrepresented in the armed forces, especially in frontline combat roles. The military of course only subsidizes post high school educations. I propose that we set up ROTC run charter schools on the south side.

Funny, innit, how there already are a few?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

*mixes rum and coke, leans back in chair*

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Zeitgueist posted:

gently caress you Willa is a good poster

yeah prove it bub

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

uh... fight? fight? fight?

i have no idea

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The new greek finance minister (a goon's former prof if I recall rightly) is hilarious

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

SedanChair posted:

The new greek finance minister (a goon's former prof if I recall rightly) is hilarious
give me the links

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sinnlos posted:

I don't blaze it.

I just drink.

Bah, I think I meant :350:, it was supposed to express chillness, not weed.

quote:

I may well take you up on that offer. :buddy:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

also say what you want about spike lee, but i'm watching malcolm x and i just gotta respect starting a film with a burning american flag

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Sinnlos posted:

I don't blaze it.

I just drink.

*raises tremoring paw*

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Sinnlos posted:

African Americans are overrepresented because race is tied with class and they come from poor areas; especially the South, where more recruits come from than any other region. Probably because the military knows "go to places with absolutely no economy so people are given a choice between:
-years of minimum wage hell (and lucking out on not running up a sudden medical bill/having savings not get eaten up by rising COL)
-risky illicit activities (and lucking out that you don't get done in before you can get out and start a decent life)
getting good enough at a sport to be one of the unlikely few who receive enough of a scholarship to pay for costs and
-the military

as their only possible ways out of the poverty trap and falling below subsistence level. So hey, it's a job with relative amount of job security and benefits, go into some unstable regions to clear out dissidents for us to protect business interests and we'll take care of you, mostly (until you have psychological problems)

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

R. Mute posted:

also say what you want about spike lee, but i'm watching malcolm x and i just gotta respect starting a film with a burning american flag

spike lee owns

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The Warszawa posted:

spike lee owns

but the old boy remake

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

The Warszawa posted:

spike lee owns

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Warszawa posted:

spike lee owns
can't act for poo poo, tho

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
never change, AZ police

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

but yeah I would def be d2f with sinnlos drinking beer and talking church history

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

what the gently caress, llamas? :psyduck: i've been out of it the entire day

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

R. Mute posted:

give me the links

http://www.npr.org/2015/02/26/389177426/profile-of-greek-finance-minister

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBaUmx5s6iE

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Badger of Basra posted:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
ok so i've applied to a couple grad schools but i haven't heard back yet, the problem is that i logged into one of my accounts and one of my professors hasn't sent the recommendation yet, after a month

should i just succumb to the inevitable despair of failure? or just keep drinking and hope he gets it done?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

R. Mute posted:

big gifs

llamas are one of the most inherently funny animals on earth (though obvious platypus wins that contest by a mile)

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Mayor Dave posted:

ok so i've applied to a couple grad schools but i haven't heard back yet, the problem is that i logged into one of my accounts and one of my professors hasn't sent the recommendation yet, after a month

should i just succumb to the inevitable despair of failure? or just keep drinking and hope he gets it done?

nut up and remind him

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mayor Dave posted:

sometimes you gotta get on their asses about stuff because they're busy

also you should have backup recs because invariably one prof will turn out to be a flake

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jagchosis posted:

llamas are one of the most inherently funny animals on earth (though obvious platypus wins that contest by a mile)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IplmOFKEdDM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

comes along bort posted:

sometimes you gotta get on their asses about stuff because they're busy

also you should have backup recs because invariably one prof will turn out to be a flake

this one is by far my strongest rec and I'd hate to condemn myself to failure because i wasn't confident enough to talk to him about it

just sent a reminder message, hope he gets it in time

• Locked thread