Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008

swamp waste posted:

Sometimes these forums feel like a competition to be the biggest oval office about the least significant thing possible

Please don't use gendered insults. It's extremely insensitive.

I'm more offended so I win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

*in very serious voice* can we have less jokes on this comedy forum, please.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

can we have less bad unfunny jokes on this comedy forum, please.

Agreed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Olaf The Stout posted:

Holy poo poo no one cares.

One little thing I like in FTL is that if your spaceship has a fire, you can vent O2 into space to put it out. If you have two vent points and depower oxygen at the same time, it vents much faster.

One of the ships in the game is designed around taking this away as its main downside.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Just noticed the tiniest of little details at the beginning of Bioshock: There are many clues as to Atlas' real identity that only get less and less subtle as the game goes on before the reveal, but one thing that's important to keep in mind is that he knew from the start that Jack was going to return to the city and when. The first thing Atlas says to Jack when you pick up the radio at the very start of the game is "I dunno how you survived that plane crash, but I've never been one to question Providence", which is interesting because he doesn't really have any way to know there was a plane crash when they're so far down under the ocean that you can't even see the surface; parts of the plane don't even start sinking that far down until like half an hour later. The reason I find it interesting is because it could either be an oversight (because Atlas never explains how he knew there was a plane crash right off the bat) OR it could be very very subtle foreshadowing (because he knew how Jack was intended to get to Rapture all along). I choose to believe the writers are smart and it was intentional (but it could just as easily not have been).

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

swamp waste posted:

Sometimes these forums feel like a competition to be the biggest oval office about the least significant thing possible

Gamergate

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

why are you people not just hacking at the dragon when it lands, then Dragonrend it when it starts to take off again, that way you don't have to deal with that

That's exactly what I was talking about in my post that you quoted?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kimmalah posted:

That's exactly what I was talking about in my post that you quoted?

Oh, my bad then, I misread it as you talking about how if you use Dragonrend on them after they've landed, they'll fly up just to fly and land somewhere else. n/m then :)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Just noticed the tiniest of little details at the beginning of Bioshock: There are many clues as to Atlas' real identity that only get less and less subtle as the game goes on before the reveal, but one thing that's important to keep in mind is that he knew from the start that Jack was going to return to the city and when. The first thing Atlas says to Jack when you pick up the radio at the very start of the game is "I dunno how you survived that plane crash, but I've never been one to question Providence", which is interesting because he doesn't really have any way to know there was a plane crash when they're so far down under the ocean that you can't even see the surface; parts of the plane don't even start sinking that far down until like half an hour later. The reason I find it interesting is because it could either be an oversight (because Atlas never explains how he knew there was a plane crash right off the bat) OR it could be very very subtle foreshadowing (because he knew how Jack was intended to get to Rapture all along). I choose to believe the writers are smart and it was intentional (but it could just as easily not have been).

Considering the plane crashed pretty much right on Rapture's surface doorstep (you can see the entrance from the burning wreckage) it wouldn't shock me that the denizens of Rapture would know about it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

CJacobs posted:

To be fair to the latter, the Kings not having any actual point of reference for Elvis is sorta the whole gag. If you talk to the King, he mentions that they barely had any reference of the real Elvis and learned basically everything they know about him from the impersonation school itself and they figure that he was either a real-rear end king or just a really cool dude.

They did have some Elvis tapes when they first arrived at the school. The King says almost verbatim: "Unfortunately they broke and I sold them to a junk dealer, otherwise I'd let you listen to them."

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Which will go on to educate a new sect of Kings in the upcoming Fallout: New Graceland

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Saying that New Vegas doesn't have Elvis songs because The King says that the tapes all broke is like saying that there you can't move corpses in Morrowind because M'aiq The Liar said that it's disrespectful to the dead. It's just the devs hanging a lampshade on their own shortcoming in a fun way.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Oh, my bad then, I misread it as you talking about how if you use Dragonrend on them after they've landed, they'll fly up just to fly and land somewhere else. n/m then :)

The shout basically puts something like a magic effect on them. So you can in theory hit them with it while they're on the ground and if they try to take off while it's still active, they'll just kind of flap around a little then land again.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thinky Whale posted:

In Dragon Age: Inquisition, your party members will notice and comment on the specialization you choose. If you say you picked the Champion tank class because you want to see your enemies give you their best shot and then laugh in their face, Iron Bull approves :black101:

Dorian has lots of good reactions for specializations. He offers to hire you if you ever take up assassining full time, for example.

But nothing is as adorable as Cole's reaction if you become a rift mage. :3:

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Olaf The Stout posted:

Holy poo poo no one cares.

One little thing I like in FTL is that if your spaceship has a fire, you can vent O2 into space to put it out. If you have two vent points and depower oxygen at the same time, it vents much faster.

Also, having and all crystal crew and keeping the ship permanently oxygen-free. :black101:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Catpain Slack posted:

Also, having and all crystal crew and keeping the ship permanently oxygen-free. :black101:

That's lanius. Crystal folk still suffocate.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The AI in Dishonored.
Most of these stealth games the guards will just go from A to B, back, and repeat forever. Or stay in the same place forever.
But in Dishonored they will sometimes do random stuff, like go to the side to take a piss. Or notice another guard is missing and take up their patrol.
I like that, makes you have to think constantly on the move or when trying to stealth take down.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Sad lions posted:

That's lanius. Crystal folk still suffocate.

Huh, I must have misremembered. I recall having an oxygen-less ship at least a few times, but in retropect that may have been a battle tactic with the crystals instead of a permanent solution. Oh well.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Catpain Slack posted:

Huh, I must have misremembered. I recall having an oxygen-less ship at least a few times, but in retropect that may have been a battle tactic with the crystals instead of a permanent solution. Oh well.

No, there's absolutely a ship that starts with the anti-oxygen race and the whole ship except for one room that has a human in it starts with no oxygen.

E: I don't think any ships start without an O2 system though.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Who What Now posted:

No, there's absolutely a ship that starts with the anti-oxygen race and the whole ship except for one room that has a human in it starts with no oxygen.

E: I don't think any ships start without an O2 system though.

The Lanius were part of the free expanded content pack they released a while ago, so if it's been a long time since Catpain Slack played they may never have encountered them.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

swamp waste posted:

Feels like?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Sometimes?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Forums?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Metal Gear?!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Is?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Crabs!

...Here is a little robot crab outside the lighthouse in Bioshock Infinite.

Just Offscreen has a new favorite as of 21:46 on Feb 27, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Just Offscreen posted:

Crabs!

...Here is a little robot crab outside the lighthouse in Bioshock Infinite.

Wait, really? Where? I've never seen that crab before, but it's awesome!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It's pretty funny how a single weapon drop can utterly change a game, in Terraria, I went from Zero to Hero when a single weapon dropped, the Razorpine, it's a rare drop from Everscream in the Frost Moon event, and it just chews up enemies in seconds.

Thanks to this God Weapon, I've acquired other God Tier weapons like the Blizzard Staff, North Pole and Christmas Tree Sword, the first two are drops from the infamous Ice Queen, and again are super rare, but thanks to my super weapons, I can kill her dead, Terraria is the most fun game.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Midnight Voyager posted:

Dorian has lots of good reactions for specializations. He offers to hire you if you ever take up assassining full time, for example.

But nothing is as adorable as Cole's reaction if you become a rift mage. :3:

You also get special dialogue options in Solas' personal quest if you go rift mage. It's nice, considering no one had anything to say about the PC using blood magic in the previous games.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

In monster hunter 4 ultimate, when you go online your character goes into the guild hall, but you can walk right out and even check out the other towns between quests without disconnecting from the group. If you talk to the npcs, they all have dialogue wishing you luck in hunting with your friends.

Also in one of the quests, your caravan's chef cheers you on, saying he placed a bet, but wont say on what. If you win, one of the random quest completion messages you can get later on is your caravan's merchant saying "good job, that chef owes me a free meal-er, nothing!"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crow Jane posted:

You also get special dialogue options in Solas' personal quest if you go rift mage. It's nice, considering no one had anything to say about the PC using blood magic in the previous games.

Sera freaks out if you become a knight-enchanter or necromancer and you can either calm her down or play up to her fears and terrify her.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Sera freaks out if you become a knight-enchanter or necromancer and you can either calm her down or play up to her fears and terrify her.

You're almost making me want to let her into the inquisition next playthrough.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cassandra gets very cautious around you if you go necromancer. Which is a nice detail since her uncle is a necromancer and she's a templar.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Isn't Solas initially suspicious of your choice to go Necromancer until you explain that you took up the study more to learn about spirits than to control them?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

RBA Starblade posted:

She does something kind of similar when you go Champion and accuses you of selling out to the upper class, if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty sure I was the only one who liked her as a character.

PeachHat!
Nov 27, 2009

Spider-Man LOVES milk!

FELD1 posted:

She does something kind of similar when you go Champion and accuses you of selling out to the upper class, if I remember correctly.

I'm pretty sure I was the only one who liked her as a character.

I absolutely loved Sera and can't really figure out why she seems to get such a negative reaction. She has some obnoxious character traits I suppose, but I found them more endearing than not, especially once she started opening up to my Inquisitor, so maybe I'm just weird.

The chat about customizing bases reminds me of how much fun I had with the Hearthfire DLC for Skyrim. Building the actual house was tedious as hell, but then I got to decorate. The Xbox controls for picking things up and putting them down is finicky as hell, but I had enough cocktails in me to be insanely driven. So now I've got a mansion that has all of my trappings and souvenirs displayed on shelves and in display cases. Display case of dragon claw keys, display case of Dragon Priest masks, Display case of enchanted forks, shelves of Deadric artifacts, and the best...The Hall of Interesting Skulls I Have Found.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Honestly, I think most of my problems with Sera would be solved with a different actress. She's supposed to be whimsical, but her actress is clearly having trouble emoting while also doing her accent, so she comes across as speaking too slowly and kinda monotone... She basically seems brain-damaged or mentally retarded.

It's like Rita from Arrested Development, but none of the characters ever realise.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Elfface posted:

Honestly, I think most of my problems with Sera would be solved with a different actress. She's supposed to be whimsical, but her actress is clearly having trouble emoting while also doing her accent, so she comes across as speaking too slowly and kinda monotone... She basically seems brain-damaged or mentally retarded.

It's like Rita from Arrested Development, but none of the characters ever realise.

Funnily enough Sera's accent is her VA's actual one. :v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elfface posted:

Don't know what you're talking about man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzBjddgm67E

This poo poo is pure poetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Replaying Bioshock 2 for nostalgia's sake and boy did they do a good job of making the creepy little sisters be cute when they're around you. There is a very intriguing dissonance in the girl going "This angel's all done now! Yaaay! :buddy:" after having just sucked the volatile genetic blood out of a corpse that's been rotting in a dingy hole in the ocean for ten years.

edit: And when I dropped her off at a vent she said "I'm gonna tell all my friends that I have the BEST daddy!" :3: