Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I laughed in the 1.3 patch notes when they said they fixed a bug that was causing the Holmgang match number 4 to lag the whole shard. I think their fix was to stop that job from spawning. Hell, I haven't seen number 5 (El Terremoto) since then either.

Edit: I saw you added job numbers to JobMem. Is there a list somewhere of what jobs it can start?

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonusRockweller
Jul 3, 2013

Inimicul posted:

I laughed in the 1.3 patch notes when they said they fixed a bug that was causing the Holmgang match number 4 to lag the whole shard. I think their fix was to stop that job from spawning.

Hah, don't know what their issue was. That mission never loved to spawn it's NPCs.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Morglon posted:

Well the new zone is a raging success. There's about 20 Bastions camped out right at the melding wall next to the crash site. Good luck getting your quests done ever. Also the Chosen excavators don't despawn so you're stuck fighting over scrap with about 50 other people.

Breaking Content with [Enough] Turrets is a time honored Firefall tradition, been going on since all we could do was Thump and Bugs could not climb walls.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
After the change to the reputation system, it's possible to level a fame to 40 wearing blue gear you get for super cheap from the vendors. I've been compiling a list. You have to get to Friendly to buy it but that seems to only be about 10 missions or so. If you don't care about a prefix on the cheap gear you use while leveling, this is a nice change.

Northern Shores - Level 9 blue abilities
Trailblaze
Inferno Dash
Poison Trail
Healing Ball
Evacuate
Explosive Rounds
Charge
Shield Wall
Particle Beam
Deployable Shield
Energy Wall
Bulwark
Smoke Screen
Teleport Beacon
Crater
Cryo Grenade

Cerrado Plains - Level 13 blue abilities
Missile Shot
Immolate
Healing Wave
Healing Pillar
Creeping Death
Repulsor Blast
Sundering Wave
Thunderdome
Combat Shotgun
Heavy Turret
Boomerang Shot
Remote Explosive
Power Field
Afterburner
Decoy

Trans Hub - Level 15 HKMs

Sunken Harbor - Level 18 blue Holmgang core

Stonewall - Level 21 blue abilities
Overcharge
Disruption
Thermal Wave
Triage
Emergency Response
Kinetic Shot
Heavy Armor
Gravity Field Grenade
Teleport Shot
Rocket Jump
Sentinel Pod
Overclocking Statoin
Execution
SIN Scrambler
Supply Station
SIN Beacon

Shanty Town - Level 24 blue abilities
Burn Jets
Poison Ball
Turret Mode
Claymore
Resonating Bolts

Dredge - Level 27 blue secondary weapons

Andreev Station - Level 29 blue abilities
Trailblaze
Inferno Dash
Poison Trail
Healing Ball
Evacuate
Explosive Rounds
Charge
Shield Wall
Particle Beam
Deployable Shield
Energy Wall
Bulwark
Smoke Screen
Teleport Beacon
Crater
Cryo Grenade

The Nest - Level 30 blue abilities
Bombs Away
Healing Generator
Absorption Bomb
Charged Pulse Generator
Proximity Response

FOB Sagan - Level 32 blue abilities
Missile Shot
Immolate
Healing Wave
Healing Pillar
Creeping Death
Repulsor Blast
Sundering Wave
Thunderdome
Combat Shotgun
Heavy Turret
Boomerang Shot
Remote Explosive
Power Field
Afterburner
Decoy

Lab 16 - Level 33 blue single stat cores. Health, run speed, etc.

Crossroads - Level 39 blue abilities
Missile Shot
Immolate
Healing Wave
Healing Pillar
Creeping Death
Repulsor Blast
Sundering Wave
Thunderdome
Combat Shotgun
Heavy Turret
Boomerang Shot
Remote Explosive
Power Field
Afterburner
Decoy

Forest Watch - Level 40 blue HKMs

Kanaloa - Level 40 blue abilities
Overcharge
Disruption
Thermal Wave
Triage
Emergency Response
Kinetic Shot
Heavy Armor
Gravity Field Grenade
Teleport Shot
Rocket Jump
Sentinel Pod
Overclocking Statoin
Execution
SIN Scrambler
Supply Station
SIN Beacon

Stronghold - Level 40 blue primary weapons

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 22, 2015

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I have been getting heavy into thumping lately. Seems bone fragments may be more profitable than uranium mining but you miss all the 40 drops.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I've been enjoying the new loot options for groups. I set things like that to round robin so there is no worries about loot whoring.

I've been getting all my bone chips and such while farming BWA for cy.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
So I had this bug just now, completely benign but loading took a while longer than usual while the bar went up to 99% then stopped, dropped a bit and went back up. Just thought it was hilarious watching it smash into the edge of the screen over and over.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Ed: wrong thread.

xxEightxx fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 23, 2015

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

xxEightxx posted:

So I spent nearly 100 motes getting Jolder's hammer to have both solar and field scout, so I don't have much left to roll the field scout I plan on picking up. I understand it comes suited for pve, but any improvements to aim for?

I have no idea what any of these things mean.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

That was probably meant for Destiny thread

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Kessel posted:

That was probably meant for Destiny thread

It was. I blame my inability on the mobile app.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Those goony fingers get you every time.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
The combat test changes are up on the PTS now. I'll report back when I play around with them some more.

Patch notes:

quote:

Game Wide Changes

Out of Combat Regeneration
If a player is not on any enemy agro lists and has not taken damage, dealt damage, or used abilities for 10 continuous seconds the player will leave combat. Leaving combat applies a single six second buff onto the player that will cause him/her to fully regenerate health and ability cooldowns (not HKM). A player must enter combat before being able to leave combat again.
Enemy AI will also benefit from out of combat regeneration.
Self-Damage
A player’s ability to harm himself/herself has been removed for this test.
Auto Sin Acquisition
Visible enemies within 50m will be automatically added to SIN. This information is shared with team-mates. If a sin acquired enemy is no longer visible they should quickly fade off of SIN.
Enemy Behavior
A large series of small tweaks have been made to enemy behavior, too many to mention. Please be on the lookout for undesirable enemy behavior.
New Units
New units have been added to the chosen roster.
Faster Paced
All weapons (friend and foe) are doing improved damage, and have improved crit damage.
Weapon Handling
The behavior of all weapons has been altered to varying degrees.
Battery Powered Deployables
Machine type deployables are now “Battery Powered.” What this means is that instead of timing out (the old method) they instead slowly drain health. Once their health reaches 0, they self-destruct. The amount of health the deployable loses per second is equal to the deployables max health divided by the deployables duration. Any machine type deployable can be kept up indefinitely if repaired enough. The effected deployables you’ll encounter during this test are:
·Heavy Turret
·Deployable Shield
·Resupply station
·Anti-Personnel Turret
·Healing Generator

Battleframe Changes

Test Conditions
Battleframes used in this test are found at the Experimental Battleframe Station. These Battleframes are equipped with:
·866 power rating
·Un-modded weapons
·Abilities and HKM’s that have roughly uncommon level mods installed on them
·A 6500hp Core
Assault

Plasma Cannon

·AOE falloff has been removed, Direct impact damage has been removed
oThis means the explosion deals a flat level of damage
·Overheats if fired for one continuous second (primary fire only)
oOverheating disables your weapon for 1.5 seconds
·Primary fire damage scales up based on weapons heat (from roughly 480 – 650)
·Projectile speed slowed
·Projectile gravity increased
·Projectile size increased

Plasma Bomb
A new ability: a standard grenade type ability that does flat damage across the entire AOE (no direct hit incentive, so get as many as you can in the blast).
Overcharge
Works like normal, but now also reduces the amount of heat firing your Plasma Cannon generates.
Afterburner
All enemies with 20m drop you off their agro list.
Shockwave
Shockwave has had its charge rate greatly reduced.
Recon

R36
·Going into Iron sights mode fires 50% slower and deals 100% more damage
·Massively improved headshot damage (3x)

Shotgun
·Iron sights added onto the alt fire
oproviding slightly improved spread
oReduces movement by 30% (as opposed to the standard 50%)

Cryo Grenade
Altered velocity & gravity
Decoy
No major changes
Sin Beacon
No major changes
Artillery Strike
No major changes
Biotech

Bio-Needler

·Projectile has larger drop
·Projectile size greatly increased
·Hitting an enemy with the primary fire “Infects” them for 10 seconds
oIf that target dies while “Infected” they drop a 10% health pack
·Hitting a friendly unity grants them 5% damage vampirism for 10 seconds

Grenade Launcher
·Damage no longer falls off over distance (flat damage across the whole explosion
oHitting a target directly causes it to deal double damage

Healing Generator
Healing generator is now battery powered.
Poison Ball
No longer has a persisting damage field. Now applies a poison DOT on impact.
Healing Wave
No major changes
Chemical Sprayer
Greatly improved damage/healing
Dreadnaught

Heavy Machine Gun

·Increased projectile size
·New particle effect (appears as multiple bullets, matches new projectile size)
·Weapon gets more accurate as you fire (over 4 seconds)
·Alt fire now projects an invulnerable shield that can be shot through by the dreadnaught
oSlowly drains jet energy. Drain rate and jet energy dictate shield duration.
o10 second cooldown after shield goes down
oCan manually deactivate the shield by right clicking again
·While firing (once spun up) your mouse speed is reduced by 20%

Heavy Armor
No major changes
Energized Turret Mode
Shield generated by turret mode is now Energy Attuned, meaning it takes reduced damage from Kinetic and Energy damage. Also, the shield has more HP to account for the increased enemy lethality.
Explosive Rounds
FX size has been reduced
Accord Mortar Arcfold
·Damage no longer falls off over aoe distance (flat damage across the whole explosion
oHitting a target directly causes it to deal double damage

Engineer

Tesla Rifle
·Can no longer manually reload
·Automatically moves ammo from reserves to magazine
·Hitting 0 ammo causes your weapon to “overheat” for 1.5 seconds
·(alt fire) Weapon repairs 1.3x more damage than it deals
·Striking a target or the ground causes your tesla beam (primary fire only) to Jump to the nearest target, dealing a fraction of its normal damage
oHitting the ground causes the arc to deal half damage
oHitting a target causes the arc to deal 25% damage
·Cone of fire was widened
oProjectile size was increased to compensate
oOverall effect, it’s easier to hit w/ but feels generally the same

Heavy Turret
Greatly increased damage and health, battery powered
Deployable Energy Shield
The deployable shield is now battery powered. Also, it’s energy attuned. This means it takes reduced damage from Kinetic and Energy damage.
Supply Station
Battery Powered
Anti-Personnel Turret
Battery Powered

The R36 will now be known as the Rape36. It's fantastic!
The Dread got even slower. Holy poo poo. It reloads slow, it runs slow, it dies slow. It is pretty tanky and with some perks I doubt it'll ever die (unless it goes into turret mode)
I haven't played the other three classes yet but I noticed they put the Engineers APT as a battery powered skill like the rest instead of the old way. We need to get one engineer to fire off his HKM to put up the APT and another engineer (or sentinel pods) to keep it up 24/7. Could you imagine having the APT for a full thumper/tornado/warfront?

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 26, 2015

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
FYI: Everybody who downloads the PTS client, tries the combat test, and fills out the questionnaire in the PTS forum will get 7 days of VIP (handed out in 2 weeks time).

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

quote:

·While firing (once spun up) your mouse speed is reduced by 20%
This is stupid, why do companies do this? Unless you are hard capping in a max yaw, this does nothing for balance it just makes weapons feel like poo poo and be annoying to use, or encourage people to crates mods that bypass it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Wadjamaloo posted:

This is stupid, why do companies do this? Unless you are hard capping in a max yaw, this does nothing for balance it just makes weapons feel like poo poo and be annoying to use, or encourage people to crates mods that bypass it.

So far everybody hates it, so I would bet it gets changed. I certainly wrote about how bad it felt in my survey.

---

Also, Goon Transit v1.16 released.
Meldii should pick it up as an auto update.

code:
Version 1.16
- Zone Explorer will properly skip matchmaking for instances that request that it do so.
This basically fixes an issue where you couldn't use Zone Explorer to queue for the new combat test zone on the PTS.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I was looking at the Combat Test changes and I don't really understand some of them. Why the hell did they change grenade launchers and plasma cannons to no longer do direct hit damage and have flat damage with no falloff?

I understand that it is effectively a buff to the weapon but learning to really nail direct hits was the whole fun of those things to begin with, having no incentive to go for direct hits is a terrible change.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
In an interesting piece of news, Red 5 is starting a series of articles about upcoming changes in the months ahead.

The first of which is about the progression system:
http://www.firefall.com/news/looking-forward-firefall-s-progression-system

Basically, after a long time of people complaining about the Accord Battleframes and how useless they are, they are going to finally address this.

All the Accord frames will be locked. When you create your character, you pick one Accord frame to unlock and you stick with it. To allow experimentation, you will be able to create multiple characters per account.

After you reach level 20, you will have the choice of which advanced battleframe to pick. If you have a Biotech, you will get to choose Recluse or Dragonfly. Your Accord frame will be upgraded to the advanced frame and it will be gone from your list. You won't have it anymore. If you get your Dragonfly to level 40 and use your pilot tokens to unlock a Recluse, you will start that Recluse at level 20.

The Accord frame perks for levels 20, 30, and 40 will be rolled into the Advanced frame's progression, unlocking at 25, 35, and 40. You will now get a perk every 5 levels, starting at level 10. You can see some of the perk changes on the PTS right now. Perks cost 1/3/6/9 points out of a max of 31.

And finally, Red 5 revealed that they are working on a system for XP earned at level 40. They will talk about it more in the future.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Now they've got me wondering what will happen to the XP boost that you get for maxing frames. if they're getting rid of it in favor of a new post-40 XP system then it may be way easier to level up now under the old system.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Does that mean class locking characters? Because that would just be retarded and in line with what I have come to expect.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Fina posted:

I was looking at the Combat Test changes and I don't really understand some of them. Why the hell did they change grenade launchers and plasma cannons to no longer do direct hit damage and have flat damage with no falloff?

I understand that it is effectively a buff to the weapon but learning to really nail direct hits was the whole fun of those things to begin with, having no incentive to go for direct hits is a terrible change.

The plasma cannon doesn't do impact damage but the grenade launcher does. It gets a flat 2x bonus to anyone hit by it. The change to the plasma cannon has made it a lot easier to use, imho. I can now toss out a plasma burst at some bad guys and know they're all going to get annihilated instead of on live where if I don't hit a target squarely all I get is a consolation prize.

I predict the TC will keep the 2x on hit as well because, well, TC.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Wadjamaloo posted:

I have no idea how game developers look at this sort of idea and not come to a quick realization that while it might make sense in theory it is also going to result in a large amount of collateral damage when it comes to how much fun the game is to play. Red 5 has a lot of problems with this sort of foresight. They just don't know how to produce an enjoyable design for many features in Firefall and I have little confidence that they will figure it out over time unless they hire new talent and allow them to implement new ideas.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Xavier434 posted:

I have no idea how game developers look at this sort of idea and not come to a quick realization that while it might make sense in theory it is also going to result in a large amount of collateral damage when it comes to how much fun the game is to play. Red 5 has a lot of problems with this sort of foresight. They just don't know how to produce an enjoyable design for many features in Firefall and I have little confidence that they will figure it out over time unless they hire new talent and allow them to implement new ideas.

At this point anybody else would've just dumped the game or gone bankrupt but I guess they can do what the gently caress ever with the backing they have and also apparently zero oversight. I'm very jealous is what I'm saying.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Morglon posted:

Does that mean class locking characters? Because that would just be retarded and in line with what I have come to expect.

No. You can still unlock all the battleframes. Instead of starting with 5 unlocked Battleframes, you will only start with 1 unlocked Battleframe. And you only play levels 1-20 five times (the Accord frames). All the advanced frames are levels 20-40.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Nalin posted:

No. You can still unlock all the battleframes. Instead of starting with 5 unlocked Battleframes, you will only start with 1 unlocked Battleframe. And you only play levels 1-20 five times (the Accord frames). All the advanced frames are levels 20-40.

What happens to those with everything unlocked already?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
They keep the gear on the Accord frames but they are removed from the garage.

In regards to the crafting changes coming up, I wonder if it would be a good time to burn through or sell all my bone chips and poo poo I've got saved up. I have 30k semiconductors from farming BWA. Time to flood the market I guess.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Nalin posted:

When Grummz was kicked out of Red 5, he created Mek Entertainment. LemonKing left to work there. They are making some sort of Oculus Rift MMO or something. Last I heard from him he was happy there.

I still poke my head around Firefall every few months to see whats new and try the changes to Gameplay and UI.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
According to the livestream there will be few changes for the next few months then all the sudden tons of core systems will change. They are adding a melee slot so you can do things like scan hammer melees and stuff, they are overhauling the crafting and itemization system again, they are overhauling and re releasing jetball.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 27, 2015

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

ShadowMoo posted:

According to the livestream there will be few changes for the next few months then all the sudden tons of core systems will change. They are adding a melee slot so you can do things like scan hammer melees and stuff, they are overhauling the crafting and itemization system again, they are overhauling and re releasing jetball.

Thread title still accurate.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

xxEightxx posted:

Thread title still accurate.

QFT

Crafting is changing, combat is changing, progression is changing, the maps are changing, encounters are changing... It's going to be like Launch 2.0. I'm kind of excited.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Fina posted:

Among other reasons it was really loving annoying to bulls-eye an airborne enemy and get like 20% of your damage because Firefall's AoE handling was poo poo. Also falloff made AoE radius upgrades not only give +AoE, they were the only +damage mods in the game because of how the falloff worked (i.e. poorly). There were very few practical reasons to use an assault frame and shoot for direct hits because you would have higher DPS with your secondary weapon in most use cases.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This all looks pretty interesting, may have to work firefall back into my rotation

They'll definitely need to rebrand and re"launch" like marvel heroes did once it's all in place though

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

This all looks pretty interesting, may have to work firefall back into my rotation

They'll definitely need to rebrand and re"launch" like marvel heroes did once it's all in place though

As if it wasn't already bad that the game is named after an event that happened earlier in the storyline, of which we take no part of.

I kinda wish they'd delve into lore more, it's so basic right now and the quests don't really add any new information.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

xxEightxx posted:

What happens to those with everything unlocked already?

Keep in mind that these are long term goals. We might not see these things for a year. They are talking about it now so they can get lots of feedback about concerns people have.

That being said, they have been responding to many of the more common concerns. People asked about compensation for the people who already did the grind. R5 is up for it and asked what people would like to see.

When people complained about losing the extra battle frame because they used it add an alternative perk load out, phobos said they were looking into gear and perk load outs as a base system.

Lots of people liked the look of the accord frames, so they said they will look into providing a way to choose your style.

Basically, if you have any concerns about the future of these systems, now is the time to start being vocal. I get the feeling that they want to take their time and get everything right this time. They don't want broken systems.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Nalin posted:

Keep in mind that these are long term goals. We might not see these things for a year. They are talking about it now so they can get lots of feedback about concerns people have.

That being said, they have been responding to many of the more common concerns. People asked about compensation for the people who already did the grind. R5 is up for it and asked what people would like to see.

When people complained about losing the extra battle frame because they used it add an alternative perk load out, phobos said they were looking into gear and perk load outs as a base system.

Lots of people liked the look of the accord frames, so they said they will look into providing a way to choose your style.

Basically, if you have any concerns about the future of these systems, now is the time to start being vocal. I get the feeling that they want to take their time and get everything right this time. They don't want broken systems.

Having been with it for as long as I was, I just don't got it in me to be apart of yet another something that gets wiped out. It is just sad because the gameplay is a lot of fun; just as it was when I had to buy skills and weapons with exp, or had to farm for power level upgrades, or whatever. Id rather put up with a substandard system than feel like I don't have reinvent myself every two years; it's like they are chasing some perfect system that will turn their game into a 20 million subscriber game but no one knows what that is.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I missed 80% of todays FFL because mothrefuckers don't call me and want to talk until that one hour of the week when I want to watch something that can't be paused.

Still... In that 20% I did catch, Phobos said something that brought a tear to my eye. In response to a question about bugs being patched and then put back in again with the next patch, he said that they're redoing the way they write the game. The optimist in me thinks they're going to be streamlining their processes quite a bit more. This fuckery of them patching a bug and then putting it back in again with the next build but thinking it's fixed when people report it again drove me nuts. I hope they can get that sorted out.

I don't mind the wipes and revamps as long as the game we get next is more fun than the one they replaced. I feel kind of like I'm just renting a game and then trading it in for another game except I get to keep my character and most of my stuff.

When they bring back basketball Jetball things will get interesting. I just hope they don't chase the success of EA and try to revamp into a Space Jam power-armored basket ball simulator.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
What do goons think of possibly merging with another army? Me and a few others have been mentioning wanting to move to a more active army.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Inimicul posted:

I just hope they don't chase the success of EA and try to revamp into a Space Jam power-armored basket ball simulator.

Whoa hold the gently caress up, this sounds awesome. What was Jetball?

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

Whoa hold the gently caress up, this sounds awesome. What was Jetball?

A pvp mode about grabbing a ball and throwing it through a hoop. It was fun, and also exhibit number 1 of hosed up r5 who literally flipped the switch on pvp to off because that fucknut ceo said so... Thing is they never turned it back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
At least he got tons of money for being removed from his position.

• Locked thread