Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

olylifter posted:

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/02/25/onedayofpay-campaign-rubs-u-of-t-students-the-wrong-way.html

The student association at U of T, the top ranked (by loving miles) law school in Canada, is asking its students with BIGLAW summer jobs to throw the unemployed among them a few bucks so they can take volunteer, public interest roles during their unemployed summers.

I have nothing funny to say about this as its just loving awful. 33k/year for U of T and until recently they didn't have a dean and as far as I'm aware they still don't have a law building. I'd imagine the complaining among the students is reaching fever pitch.

Texas does something like this where alumni and students donate to a big pool of money that gets paid out to public interest summer folks, and it's actually smart and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Feces Starship posted:

Uh what state does this insanity occur in

He works in Ontario but that's a common thing: its called gassing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gassing_%28prison_slang%29

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

olylifter posted:

He works in Ontario but that's a common thing: its called gassing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gassing_%28prison_slang%29

I was remarking about the money. Not the poopspash

But now I see that Canada and pretend money

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Elotana posted:

- Client gives boss his great idea via cocktail napkin disclosure

- Boss dumps cocktail napkin on my desk and tells me to do a search

- I blow up client's voicemail trying to get them to explain what the gently caress this is

- Client is too busy to return my voicemails but not too busy to blow up the boss' voicemail with "so where are we on the search???"

- I get yelled at for not communicating with clients

In-house is the way to go for patenting. Heres what happens if I get something dumb:

- i walk over to their desk and ask what the gently caress they gave me

I wouldn't go back to a firm even if they offered me double what I make now. But I'm also just an agent with no law degree and no debt.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

The Warszawa posted:

(For the record, I'm dumb and an rear end in a top hat but I'm an industrious sort of dumb!)

To be 100% fair this is definitely what people say about you around the watercooler

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

olylifter posted:

I heard about shitblasting the first time I went to a remand facility. They take a pop bottle fill it with stuff... and then stick it in the gap between the cell door and the floor. When a CO walks by they jump on the bottle.

When I was doing disciplinary court at a prison I had one guy that was charged with something similar. He was alleged to have walked out of his cell when they opened the door for him to put the cleaning supplies outside, walked down the range, and expelled the contents of a bottle into an inmate's cell who had the slot opened for a phone call.

According to the guards who ran to the cell the guy was screaming "HE poo poo ALL OVER MY HOUSE!"

I was able to adjourn the proceedings until the guy got his stat release, so the charge was dropped :hfive:

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 27, 2015

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Feces Starship posted:

I was remarking about the money. Not the poopspash

But now I see that Canada and pretend money

ah gently caress, my bad.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

mulls posted:

Texas does something like this where alumni and students donate to a big pool of money that gets paid out to public interest summer folks, and it's actually smart and good.

Yeah, this was a really popular campaign at my law school called donate a day's pay and the vast majority of professors more than participated in it.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Artic Puma posted:

Yeah, this was a really popular campaign at my law school called donate a day's pay and the vast majority of professors more than participated in it.

Georgetown does this as well - biglaw summers are asked to donate a day's pay to EJF to help fund summer stipends for public interest summers. It's a good thing, U of T is on the side of angels here.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My school did something like this as well, except it was focused on getting graduates who've not found work yet a few months at a public service place.

Of course the timing of it is such that your school funded employment coincided with when they reported the post graduate employment rates so it drastically inflated their numbers, so much so that the students sued them.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

My school did something like this as well, except it was focused on getting graduates who've not found work yet a few months at a public service place.

Of course the timing of it is such that your school funded employment coincided with when they reported the post graduate employment rates so it drastically inflated their numbers, so much so that the students sued them.

Those programs lead to jobs for more than a few of my classmates, including me, so I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*
If you're licensed it also turns an unpaid internship into "paid legal experience," which can bump up your starting salary if you actually do get offered a job in the public sector

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Nitrousoxide posted:

Of course the timing of it is such that your school funded employment coincided with when they reported the post graduate employment rates so it drastically inflated their numbers

Yup. let's not pretend this is altruism. Our new dean suggested this when I was a 3L (taking school funds though not asking students to donate. We all saw through it.

How about you just...improve our post graduation employment rate rather than incentivizing non-profits to not pay their employees.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Roger_Mudd and I were supposed to have lunch. The problem is snow is pouring down and everything's about to shut down and people are freaking out. So I check in with him.

quote:

Yeah I told my wife I couldn't pick the kids up from school so I could work. It would look bad if I went to lunch.

New title.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It's cold here too. Today's high is only like 50!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's cold here too. Today's high is only like 50!

die.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm in gym shorts and going to go wander around a greenway in a bit.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

CaptainScraps posted:

Roger_Mudd and I were supposed to have lunch. The problem is snow is pouring down and everything's about to shut down and people are freaking out. So I check in with him.

New title.

The obvious thing here is to have lunch and for him to tell his wife he was working. Did they teach you nothing in law school?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

They should be freaking out. I watched traffic cameras (shut up AR) and saw the snowpocalypse on the highways.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

They should be freaking out. I watched traffic cameras (shut up AR) and saw the snowpocalypse on the highways.

not saying a word, traffic lawyer.

Also: that sinking feeling when you see who wrote the majority opinion and you know without reading further that you're hosed. (Not my case, thank God...but a case with major impact on other stuff I do.)

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
On Exile Island it never gets below 35 (or above 75) FYI

ActusRhesus posted:

Also: that sinking feeling when you see who wrote the majority opinion and you know without reading further that you're hosed. (Not my case, thank God...but a case with major impact on other stuff I do.)

Scalia.txt

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

quote:

Snow began falling across North Texas Friday morning – prompting school closures and causing hundreds of accidents on the roadways.

Despite the pre-treatments and road crews working 12-hour shifts, several major roadways had to be shut down completely because of ice and accidents.

Ramps at the Fort Worth Mixmaster were impassible and as many as 40 cars reportedly slid off southbound Highway 75 in Melissa.

Up to an inch of snow is expected in Dallas.

lol

I hope you all die

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Oh ffs.

I had to hire a freaking payloader to move snow away from my driveway because our plow guy had no more room to push snow away from my garage.

I didn't realize my car's dashboard thermometer went into negative values. It does.

My stockpile of seltzer cans I keep in my car for commuting needs exploded.

gently caress you, Texas.

gently caress you.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol seltzer from a can

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm seriously debating installing a seltzer maker in my sink

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
u don't understand, AR... the devastation of a half inch of snow.... u dont know cuz u havent been there~

Also how much loving seltzer do you consume that you have a specialized travel supply of seltzer, jfc woman

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
like "eh, sure it's like $3k, but have you seen the price of sodastream lately?" given how much seltzer I drink

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soothing Vapors posted:

u don't understand, AR... the devastation of a half inch of snow.... u dont know cuz u havent been there~

Also how much loving seltzer do you consume that you have a specialized travel supply of seltzer, jfc woman

lol it's funny because I'm making fun of her for drinking out of cans because you can't get that much seltzer from a can

like I drink a 2l bottle in a sitting

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

i'm seriously debating installing a seltzer maker in my sink

Just get a Sodastream.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I PISS TRAINS

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

I buy a case, keep it in the car. Grab one out for lunch, one for the drive home. Because the water in this building is gross.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Just get a Sodastream.

I have one of those too. Sodastream bottles aren't convenient for commuting.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

at what point do you become such a mouldering ruin of a human being that non-carbonated water simply cannot slake your grotesque thirst

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Look Sir Droids posted:

Just get a Sodastream.

issues with a sodastream vs. an actual carbonator:

sodastream:
1) water isn't cold/have to refrigerate before hand which means planning ahead
2) takes up counter space which is at a premium in my kitchen
3) have to go to best buy to get refils (~$30/mo.)

seltzer machine:
1) one time <$3k, and I plan on living in this house for at least 100 months.
2) water is cooled

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soothing Vapors posted:

at what point do you become such a mouldering ruin of a human being that non-carbonated water simply cannot slake your grotesque thirst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htzfooBBrDg

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Why do you drink seltzer. I don't even really know what that is besides carbonated water. Is there liquor in it? AR are you drinking and driving?

Re Texas snow: we don't know how to drive in it. Sorry that our tropical climate doesn't prepare us for the rigors that you northern folk have to face yearly because you're not brave enough to move to Texas.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

ActusRhesus posted:

I buy a case, keep it in the car. Grab one out for lunch, one for the drive home. Because the water in this building is gross.

I have one of those too. Sodastream bottles aren't convenient for commuting.

The plastic liter bottles aren't convenient?

quote:

3) have to go to best buy to get refils (~$30/mo.)

I think they're $15-20 if you bring in your empty. But wtf do I know. I don't drink that poo poo.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Look Sir Droids posted:

I think they're $15-20 if you bring in your empty.

I go through two a month

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Why do you drink seltzer.

I was raised on this:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Re Texas snow: we don't know how to drive in it. Sorry that our tropical climate doesn't prepare us for the rigors that you northern folk have to face yearly because you're not brave enough to move to Texas.

Vaporses' Guide to Driving In A Half Inch Of Snow
1.) Slow down a little bit
2.) There is no step 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Haha exactly what I was thinking of but I couldn't remember what it was from