Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nobody did that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Then exactly what point were you trying to make by bringing up modern day prosthetics? Because they sure can't do what comic book prosthetics can, and likely never will.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah but she has antigravity floats so according to Lurdiak she's no longer handicapped. Stephen Hawking only wishes he could float.

Actually my point is that if she had the ability to manifest a psychic body that can do every single thing a human body can with no downsides using her mind powers, she would not qualify as handicapped. Although I don't think there are many real life brains in jars.

If you don't suffer any of the downsides of a handicap due to (comic book bullshit goes here) you're not any kind of role model or representation for real people with those handicaps. Daredevil is exceptional in that several authors have gone far out of their way to portray him struggling with blindness despite his amazing sensory powers.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 27, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
No-Girl had a body at one point, courtesy of Zero.
Not a good look for her.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I consider looking like an anime monster a downside, yeah.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Someone somewhere is jerkin it to that

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Better tell all those amputee sprinters that they should be running against the dudes with legs in the regular Olympics then!

Well, that actually happened and it was a great story until the guy murdered his fiance.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skwirl posted:

Well, that actually happened and it was a great story until the guy murdered his fiance.

Double Amputee Proves He Is Capable Of Anything remains one of The Onion's cleverest headlines.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lurdiak posted:

Daredevil is exceptional in that several authors have gone far out of their way to portray him struggling with blindness despite his amazing sensory powers.

Is Daredevil actually handicapped in any meaningful sense? Doesn't his radar sense work at least as well as normal vision?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tiggum posted:

Is Daredevil actually handicapped in any meaningful sense? Doesn't his radar sense work at least as well as normal vision?

He can't read things without touching them, he can't see photos at all, and there was the time he said "anyone could be part of the Serpent Society, even this guy" while pointing to a black cop (the Serpent Society is a group of white supremacists, not a group of people who worship or are snakes).

Oh and someone post that issue of Waid's first run on daredevil where he takes a group of blind kids on a field trip and everything goes wrong.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak posted:

Then exactly what point were you trying to make by bringing up modern day prosthetics? Because they sure can't do what comic book prosthetics can, and likely never will.
Hopefully prompting you to understand that there's more to a disabled person than just their inability to move their legs, and that's exactly why Oracle worked as a character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't see why that is relevant to modern prosthetics (or the discussion at hand in general), but okay.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Tiggum posted:

It's been mentioned that he really has trouble doing anything with computers and smartphones.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tiggum posted:

It's (often) portrayed as an alternative to vision, not something that fully replaces it. He still can't read a book, he needs to touch it. He can't use computers much, he can't see colors... Obviously it's still not quite the same as normal blind person's experience, but the writers do seem to take care to portray his condition as a real handicap, which isn't something I can really say for Misty Knight and her cyberarm or what have you.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
It's not superheroes or costumes in quite the same way as other examples in this thread but I think that the character/clothing design in The Wicked + The Divine is really great, no one is really OTT, well except Woden's Daft Punk look but every one of the major characters is instantly identifiable, especially the Pantheon.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Anime_Otaku posted:

It's not superheroes or costumes in quite the same way as other examples in this thread but I think that the character/clothing design in The Wicked + The Divine is really great, no one is really OTT, well except Woden's Daft Punk look but every one of the major characters is instantly identifiable, especially the Pantheon.

Jamie McKelive is pretty godlike at costume and fashion design.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

It's (often) portrayed as an alternative to vision, not something that fully replaces it. He still can't read a book, he needs to touch it. He can't use computers much, he can't see colors... Obviously it's still not quite the same as normal blind person's experience, but the writers do seem to take care to portray his condition as a real handicap, which isn't something I can really say for Misty Knight and her cyberarm or what have you.

This is how most cybernetics should be portrayed too, really. You can't tell me someone with a metal arm full of laser cannons that can punch through a tank can also caress their lover's face or feel the charming tickle of a kitten nuzzling their hand. Hey look, I just made nu52 Cyborg moderately interesting (by stealing the motivation for Metallo's heel-heelier turn from Superman TAS).

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The first scenes with Robot Man in GM's Doom Patrol handled this pretty well. Made it sound like torture.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chinaman7000 posted:

The first scenes with Robot Man in GM's Doom Patrol handled this pretty well. Made it sound like torture.

There was also the first Metallo episode of Superman:TAS when he finds out that he'll never "feel" anything again.

Edit; whoops, saw it was already mentioned.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lurdiak posted:

I can't wait until a writer uses his powers to hear tcp packets to defeat airgap security.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
So, super hero costume designs by comic artists for use in the real world. Probably old news to most of you here, but apparently Jack Kirby once designed the costumes for a production of Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar? This production was directed by Sheldon Feldner of the University Theatre Company at Santa Cruz in 1969. Man, what a thing this would have been to see.

A poster for the production also designed by Jack Kirby. SPQR is the acronym of Senātus Populusque Rōmānus (the Senate and People of Rome).

Next the costume design for Julius Caesar and a Roman garrison soldier. Julius Caesar was played by Stuart Bennett.

The character design and final costume of a sophist (played by Stephen Drewes).

The costume for Calpurnia with maid, played by Berta Richardson and Kathy Martin.

Finally some pictures of the production itself.

Source (with more pictures).

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Those look dope as gently caress

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Seriously I have trouble imagining how a lot of Kirby designs like the New Gods could be adapted to the big screen while remaining fundamentally Kirby, but having him do designs specifically for a stage production tones down his excesses and leaves something incredibly colorful and dynamic.

Chinaman7000 posted:

It helps that even in the 80s everyone already viewed Robot Man's design as incredibly retro and outdated. Crazy Jane said it best when she said his voice sounded like he was speaking through an old telephon

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Seriously I have trouble imagining how a lot of Kirby designs like the New Gods could be adapted to the big screen while remaining fundamentally Kirby, but having him do designs specifically for a stage production tones down his excesses and leaves something incredibly colorful and dynamic.

For all its flaws, I thought the first Thor did a good job of being very Kirby costume-wise.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like a lot of Kirby's art and designs, but never could stand the New Gods and the general ugly look the original book had. Those stage designs are bonzer, I wish I could have seen it. I don't even like that play.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

For all its flaws, I thought the first Thor did a good job of being very Kirby costume-wise.

Loki's helmet was my favorite thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I like a lot of Kirby's art and designs, but never could stand the New Gods and the general ugly look the original book had. Those stage designs are bonzer, I wish I could have seen it. I don't even like that play.

You don't like Julius Caeser? I'm consantly amazed at how consistently you have the worst loving opinions.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

You don't like Julius Caeser? I'm consantly amazed at how consistently you have the worst loving opinions.

I love Hamlet. :shrug:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I love Hamlet. :shrug:

Stopped clock and all that.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Neat project with female illustrators redesigning some women from games and comics

I really like this Power Girl design, because it addresses two of the things that I usually think get missed when the character's costume is looked at for this stuff:
1. The cleavage is not necessarily a problem (the mesh par of the top acknowledges that it could certainly be an element)
2. If you're going to get rid of that as an element of the top? Replace it with something interesting. Too many PG redesigns just plug the boob window and call it a day. Maybe slap some jeans on her if they're feeling really daring. This one came up with an actual idea. Not sure how I feel about the I/O symbol, but it does fit the name, and the character's tech magnate shtick, so... I like it more than I don't?

Also, the hand wraps are bad-rear end.

I dislike the Polaris one though, mostly for colour palate. If you're keeping the green hair, keep the green in the outfit, or at least avoid yellow.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I dislike the Polaris one though, mostly for colour palate. If you're keeping the green hair, keep the green in the outfit, or at least avoid yellow.

Has Polaris ever had a decent costume? The most iconic look I can think of for her is basically "Scarlet Witch but green."

I do like most of those. Some of them are drawn a bit too specific though, if that makes sense-- like they look great in that particular artist's style but really wouldn't translate to other artists which is deceptively important in designing a costume. Emma Frost's in particular jumped out at me that way.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Emma is the one that perplexed me. If ever there's a characterisation that justifies the outfits, it's her. She wants you to know that her outfit consists of a quarter of the cloth of yours, and cost 10 times as much. Oh, and no, you never had a prayer of warming her bed, darling.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plus Emma is the kind-of fashion plate who totally would have a ton of outfits, even if they all had to be around the "white queen" theme.

I'm willing to bet that artist is a BIG fan of The Dark Phoenix Saga and hasn't really kept up with X-Men past 1991.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
While we're still discussing the article, I like the Samus one, reminds me of VOTOMS and Chirico Cuvie.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Making Peach into Tank Girl is loving ridiculous, and I hate Dark Pheonix's robes. What was even wrong with the original Dark Pheonix costume? It looked awesome and wasn't revealing at all. And why reimagine Emma Frost's if she's gonna be revealing nearly as much skin anyway?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Not too nuts about that Power Girl but using the power button symbol is a drat cool idea and DC should steal it

e: Also that Samus outfit is cool and everything and totally paying homage to her roots as a very-inspired-by-Ripley character until you realize she's supposed to wear the power suit over it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Schneider Heim posted:

While we're still discussing the article, I like the Samus one, reminds me of VOTOMS and Chirico Cuvie.

Travis343 posted:

e: Also that Samus outfit is cool and everything and totally paying homage to her roots as a very-inspired-by-Ripley character until you realize she's supposed to wear the power suit over it.

I think most of them are a bit too much but the Samus one is really loving good. This is still my favorite example of her ever.

Edit: I mean, it's kind of a catsuit thing but it makes sense to me as something you'd wear under super-heavy power armor in a situation like that.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 6, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Making Peach into Tank Girl is loving ridiculous, and I hate Dark Pheonix's robes. What was even wrong with the original Dark Pheonix costume? It looked awesome and wasn't revealing at all. And why reimagine Emma Frost's if she's gonna be revealing nearly as much skin anyway?

Considering how her outfit there is just a more painterly rendition of her Claremont-era Hellfire Club outfit I'm willing to bet it was just fanart they used to pad out the portfolio.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

WickedHate posted:

While I agree that the robe is weird as gently caress, I'm not sure you're clear on what "revealing" means when you say the Dark Phoenix swimsuit vacuum packed to every muscle isn't just because the colourist made it green rather than pink.

Re: Emma - reimagining is not the same as burkifying.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

While I agree that the robe is weird as gently caress, I'm not sure you're clear on what "revealing" means when you say the Dark Phoenix swimsuit vacuum packed to every muscle isn't just because the colourist made it green rather than pink.

Re: Emma - reimagining is not the same as burkifying.

It's not like you can see Jean's nipples through the suit. It's technically tight but not in a latex sexual way, like Catwoman's.

And I get that the intent may not nessicarily be "make woman's costumes more practical or less sexual" but I just don't see the point in reimagining Emma otherwise. It's a perfectly fine costume except for the sexual aspect so if you aren't changing that why bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even then it's not like Emma's sexuality is an inherent problem since flaunting what she's got is perfectly in line with her personality, but that "reimagining" really is barely different from her very first outfit.

• Locked thread