Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Everyday those guys drove down mobile and back again. Nothing involving people. Just a stretch of road. That's it.

Their two hooches were like the last car in Snowpiercer.

But they didn't stand post so gently caress 'em. Get out of the MWR.

Which guys?

When I was deployed with TOWs it was a lot more than just driving up and down mobile. We were QRF for any fob outside of the city and always tasked with stupid little bullshit assignments throughout the villages that ran from the TT bridge down to the prison thanks to RCT. We also stood post on Viking, north of Fallujah, since the Army was too incompetent to send enough people to man the entire fob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
someone just explained to me what an amibos is.

i feel like that can fit this thread theme pretty well.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

LCL-Dead posted:

Which guys?

When I was deployed with TOWs it was a lot more than just driving up and down mobile. We were QRF for any fob outside of the city and always tasked with stupid little bullshit assignments throughout the villages that ran from the TT bridge down to the prison thanks to RCT. We also stood post on Viking, north of Fallujah, since the Army was too incompetent to send enough people to man the entire fob.

Whatever unit it was where the guy shot the other guy in the face playing the trust game. On Viking. Although that happened soon after my unit left.

Maybe they did something besides cruise for IEDs and I'm misremembering (or just didn't notice). They deffo didn't stand post, though. (We knocked it down to 4x 2-man posts and a 1-man post on the main building instead of however many posts the previous unit(s) had.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Whatever unit it was where the guy shot the other guy in the face playing the trust game. On Viking. Although that happened soon after my unit left.

Maybe they did something besides cruise for IEDs and I'm misremembering (or just didn't notice). They deffo didn't stand post, though. (We knocked it down to 4x 2-man posts and a 1-man post on the main building instead of however many posts the previous unit(s) had.

When I was on Viking in 07 it was 4x 1-man posts and a G-boss. I remember this quite well because you couldn't see out of the loving glass at night due to the way that they had built the towers and the SOG ran crying to my plt sgt when I refused to actually stay inside of the post, preferring to instead stand in front of it (My shift was midnight-0400), go figure they were watching the posts with the G-Boss and not the actual surrounding terrain. Shitheads. The rooms were probably the way they were because that wasn't our permanent residence. We rotated sections to Viking from Camp Fallujah itself and Fallujah was where all of our personal poo poo was. We didn't really care about the bunk houses on Viking, just stealing Ripits and decent food from you guys.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

LCL-Dead posted:

When I was on Viking in 07 it was 4x 1-man posts and a G-boss. I remember this quite well because you couldn't see out of the loving glass at night due to the way that they had built the towers and the SOG ran crying to my plt sgt when I refused to actually stay inside of the post, preferring to instead stand in front of it (My shift was midnight-0400), go figure they were watching the posts with the G-Boss and not the actual surrounding terrain. Shitheads. The rooms were probably the way they were because that wasn't our permanent residence. We rotated sections to Viking from Camp Fallujah itself and Fallujah was where all of our personal poo poo was. We didn't really care about the bunk houses on Viking, just stealing Ripits and decent food from you guys.

I was there in 08-09. Either the LAR guys lived there with us in those lovely hooches or they had a handful of clones who were rotated into our MWR each day from Baharia*.

But all the dumb poo poo you mentioned about the posts was exactly the same. I want to be a GBOSS contractor for the next big occupation of a poo poo hole country so I can shame Staff & O's into actually using the thing to, you know, gather intel and spot emplacers.

*This is fitting for the idiot thread. Sitting in the chow hall at Baharia we saw a news report that Al Anbar -and CAMP FALLUJAH (wow)- had been handed over to the Iraqis. It was all very "welp we're done here, this sure is progress!". Meanwhile Baharia was swelling with Marines right up the road from Camp Fallujah. It was all pretty absurd.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Crossposted from the schadenfreude thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niB9WhSvUsI

Cuts out before it gets really good though.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
As a Marine..

..I would have not been anywhere near as gentle.

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

I was there in 08-09. Either the LAR guys lived there with us in those lovely hooches or they had a handful of clones who were rotated into our MWR each day from Baharia*.

But all the dumb poo poo you mentioned about the posts was exactly the same. I want to be a GBOSS contractor for the next big occupation of a poo poo hole country so I can shame Staff & O's into actually using the thing to, you know, gather intel and spot emplacers.

*This is fitting for the idiot thread. Sitting in the chow hall at Baharia we saw a news report that Al Anbar -and CAMP FALLUJAH (wow)- had been handed over to the Iraqis. It was all very "welp we're done here, this sure is progress!". Meanwhile Baharia was swelling with Marines right up the road from Camp Fallujah. It was all pretty absurd.

I'm so glad I didn't have to come back for the changeover. An IED got me in late 07 and took me out of business for the rest of my time in but I'd had my fun at that point.

My dad does the maintenance and training packages for those blimp camera station type-things they're using now. Says it's pretty badass. He also forwards emails to me full of stories of contractors getting poo poo on by active duty for correcting them in their use of the camera system. Same poo poo with the GBOSS. Spying on the base itself and not the surrounding areas.

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 26, 2015

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Stupid double post was stupid. Editing first post.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

I remember my contractor deployment, sitting in the TOC watching the GBOSS/PGSS feeds with the guys, and they were watching these dudes literally digging holes by the road, then the camera guy got distracted by something loving stupid.

A few angry phone calls later, they can't find the hole in the ground and the diggers were gone.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

I remember my contractor deployment, sitting in the TOC watching the GBOSS/PGSS feeds with the guys, and they were watching these dudes literally digging holes by the road, then the camera guy got distracted by something loving stupid.

A few angry phone calls later, they can't find the hole in the ground and the diggers were gone.

We had team leaders rotating into GBOSS watch during off-patrol days for the first week we were in Afghanistan. I thought that was a stroke of brilliance. I suspect the outgoing unit suggested it since they seemed to have their poo poo together.

After we caught a guy emplacing an IED with it , my company moved the monitors and controls into the COC and sent the team leaders back to regular post-standing. I know that sounds retarded (because it is!) but I'm guessing the motivation there was "this is too important to leave to E-3s". Comm fobbits took over the joystick but really at that point it was just one more thing for the Staff/O on COC watch to not pay attention to.

Other than my idiot plt sgt waking me up and asking me to do an illum mission on "a guy in a field" (which I talked him down from because A. that's stupid and B. not my problem on my patrol days) I can only think of maybe 1 or 2 other times guys who went outside the wire actually had any involvement with it.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
All I wanted on my last deployment was a loving dazzler, so I could dazzle and bring to their knees the stupid army fucks who would hit us with green lasers while driving at night from a half mile away, like it was cool or someshit.

Or the loving contractor convoys who would come into our AO on/around mobile and basically run us off the road by hitting the drivers and gunners with green lasers as soon as they noticed our blacked out trucks. loving asshats.

Tanks hit us ONE time with a loving turret mounted dazzler. 3/4 drivers had to pull over to puke, 2/4 gunners were puking off the top of the truck and all vehicle commanders were either queasy or puking. At least we had someone to yell at then because there's no loving excuse for misidentifying 4 gun trucks from a quarter mile away.

HelpImARock3
May 27, 2010

Don't get treed by a Chihuahua

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/32804431/ns/us_news-military/t/marines-take-deadly-risks-trust-game/

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but gently caress you for posting that. <3

I haven't seen Malone's face in years.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Are FOBs really so boring that you would play with loaded guns just to pass the time?

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Vengarr posted:

Are FOBs really so boring that you would play with loaded guns just to pass the time?

Well generally not loaded, but yeah.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Vengarr posted:

It's not that FOBs are boring, it's that Marines are retarded.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Thump! posted:

It's not that FOBs are boring, it's that Marines are retarded.

little of column A, little of column B

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Keep this link on standby for future use. I'm always going to refer to Nth Platoon 14/88 LAR as "those one guys where the one guy shot the other guy in the face playing the trust game" because I'm saving that tiny bit of brain storage space for something more important. Like preferred pronouns.

All the same,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7KBkNg0AsI

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

LCL-Dead posted:

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but gently caress you for posting that. <3

Are you the guy who knew him? I remember someone had stories about him.

HelpImARock3
May 27, 2010

Don't get treed by a Chihuahua
Edit: wrong thread

HelpImARock3 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 27, 2015

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

LCL-Dead posted:

that guy iswas way too swarthy for such a fuckin mic name

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I think this could be here

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/national/local-veteran-recruiting-his-own-army-raising-fund/nkKdQ/

quote:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — For months, we've seen the terror unleashed by ISIL, from televised beheadings to kidnappings.

Veteran Sean Rowe said he's seen and read enough about it, so he's recruiting an army.

“I'll be surprised if anyone is actually crazy enough to go on this first mission. If I have to go alone that's fine,” Rowe said.

Rowe founded his group "Veterans Against ISIS" on Wednesday.

“We're tired of seeing what’s going on, and it doesn’t look like anything is being done,” Rowe said.

For months, we've seen the terror unleashed by ISIL, from televised beheadings to kidnappings. Veteran Sean Rowe said he's seen and read enough about it, so he's recruiting an army.

Right now there is no "we"; he's the only member. But he's looking for more vets to join.

“These guys are slaughtering and beheading people. We’re going over there to stop that; it’s not about the money,” Rowe said.

The eight-year Army vet just launched a site to recruit veterans and raise money to fight the terror group in places like Iraq.

When you're talking about would-be mercenaries, there are always questions about what's legal, so we asked WJAX-TV Law Expert Dale Carson.

“There really is no federal law prohibiting people from flying to other countries and acting as mercenaries,” Carson said.

But Carson said there are laws to keep in mind.

“There’s no specific law, but if they take weapons, there are weapons laws, and obviously the laws of the other countries,” Carson said.

“We’re not going to do anything illegal,” Rowe said. “This organization is about forming a team to actually do something.”
godspeed bro :patriot:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Casimir Radon posted:

Are you the guy who knew him? I remember someone had stories about him.

Yeah. I knew both of them. Nelson came to my platoon in 2006 while we were deployed and Malone followed the next year.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
So I'm browsing through youtube, looking up videos for the bird I'm supposed to start working with in April and this pops up..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PcuApKSZnc

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC36u2xha5Y

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Erkle

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Is boot camp always like this or are we gonna lose the next war?

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

bitcoin bastard posted:

poo poo, they never gave me loving grenades in boot camp.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

bitcoin bastard posted:

gotcha covered battle buddy :downs:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
when we did grenades in boot camp i did everything right right up until after i threw it and then i got stuck wanting to watch the explosion and got pushed around like a rag doll

poo poo owned

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Thump! posted:

poo poo, they never gave me loving grenades in boot camp.

No chance in hell they gave those guys grenades, either.

Blue bodies.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cole posted:

when we did grenades in boot camp i did everything right right up until after i threw it and then i got stuck wanting to watch the explosion and got pushed around like a rag doll

poo poo owned

i hosed up my grenade throw and it went off like 5 ft infront of the sunken bunker, couldnt hear poo poo for like a week because the cadre sgt threw me down and my earpro got ripped out.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

bitcoin bastard posted:

It's always been like this judging by the post above me

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

LeoMarr posted:

i hosed up my grenade throw and it went off like 5 ft infront of the sunken bunker, couldnt hear poo poo for like a week because the cadre sgt threw me down and my earpro got ripped out.

you a pathetic weak body lamar?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

you a pathetic weak body lamar?

im a product of the surge what can I say

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

LeoMarr posted:

im a product of the surge what can I say

cant say you're gay

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Cole posted:

cant say you're gay

Lol

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Had another run-in with a motivated SNCO after telling some CPL to "pick his battles better" when he approached me in the gas station and asked me to remove my hat before citing base regulations to me.

What the gently caress is it with E6+ individuals who feel the need to step in to everything and make it worse?

I finished him off with one line, "Staff Sergeant, If it's so important that I remove my hat in order to abide by base regulations and remain in good order, then why the gently caress didn't you ask me to remove it when I walked past you 2 minutes ago?"

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

LCL-Dead posted:

Had another run-in with a motivated SNCO after telling some CPL to "pick his battles better" when he approached me in the gas station and asked me to remove my hat before citing base regulations to me.

What the gently caress is it with E6+ individuals who feel the need to step in to everything and make it worse?

I finished him off with one line, "Staff Sergeant, If it's so important that I remove my hat in order to abide by base regulations and remain in good order, then why the gently caress didn't you ask me to remove it when I walked past you 2 minutes ago?"

You should have dropped immediately and started doing push ups while screaming nonsense at full bore. When the MPs the non-crazy attendants called turned up you tell them he made you do it while yelling about how well built and cut you were.

Leave at that point saying you feel a little violated and let them work it out.

E: Imagine it like I do: Keep doing the pushups and ignore the NCO, by the time the MPs arrive he should be trying to prevent you from doing the pushups by getting physical with you.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'm too fat and lazy to go that far for a simple troll.

I'm 29 but I'm medically retired, so I usually just pull out my little blue trump card, as I like to call it, and tell them to gently caress off. I may phrase it a bit more elegantly if I'm in a good mood but usually that's about the extent of it.

I've had one guy quote the base order to me once and I asked him to go read it, because nowhere in the order does it state that I, as a civilian, have to remove my hat within a government building. It states that I am expected to follow the standards established for the type of clothing that is acceptable while working/visiting the base.

I do not look forward to the weeks that Corporal's course is in session and they station those poor boots outside of the gas stations to correct people. One of these days they're going to figure out I actually do work on base and track me down.