Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Proof that chicks dig Warhammer 40k players...

http://shows.howstuffworks.com/stuff-to-blow-your-mind/epic-sci-evolutionary-geek-video.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

AbusePuppy posted:

I don't think I've even heard of anyone running one in a game before, much less seen it in person.

This is precisely why he should bring it.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Hollismason posted:

Warhammer 40k Tournaments are their own thing, I would not concern myself at all with what happens at the larger tournaments . It's kind of this great creative fiction that everyone seems to be in on that there's like this ultra competitive 40k scene. Just play what you want and adjust to what your fellow local players play that's the only "Meta" you should concern yourself with. Knowing what's going on at the big tournaments is important if you ever go to them. Otherwise just play the game with miniatures you enjoy aesthetically, and back grounds you enjoy with people you enjoy playing against.

Just like don't let it worry you that you didn't see a huge amount of Chaos Space Marines at the tournament and that means their bad or a poo poo army to play.

Tournaments especially the larger ones are really their own thing and it's not like Magic the Gathering at all.

Just play what you like with who you like but if you go to a big tournament or play in a tournament realize those are the kind of lists you'll see.

I want to play purely to make teenagers and nerds cry. I want as many one-sided victories as possible.

Yeah...wow.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

I'll be sure to keep this video handy the next time I want to woo the ladies.

Cross postin'!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
"a courtship tool to entertain and attract sexual partners"

in other words, I'm gay for Bavius, due to that awesome paint job'

e: take me

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Oh my sweet Bulbasuar, let us away to my hobby cave.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

I have been straddled while at a painting table but I'm well adjusted enough to know that she wanted to cheat on her boyfriend not because the warhams were somehow seducing her. :cripes:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

krushgroove posted:

How stupid is the theory that this url not bringing up a 404 page is proof that plastic Horus Heresy is coming? http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/The-Horus-Heresy

Dumb troll or just dumb?

Giving me a 404 page error.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I think 'The Horus Heresy' is a common enough term in the GW universe that even if there is a planned product called 'The Horus Heresy' there is no guarantee it is plastic 30k figures.

Get ready for a lovely Talisman remake.

Could be! We have the two last good rumor folks on that, one saying it'll make 40k players gnash their teeth, the other that there's a HH plastic box.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Post 9-11 User posted:

I have been straddled while at a painting table but I'm well adjusted enough to know that she wanted to cheat on her boyfriend not because the warhams were somehow seducing her. :cripes:

Does it really matter?

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
I always figured 40k forum sites were among the largest of gay hookup sites. Knew there was something about those group meetups at the "local club" with several guys on a Saturday night that struck me as odd.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
suck a chaplains dick

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Can we get back to warhams chat :ohdear:

I have 14 days to paint 10 immortals, 10 warriors, 2 ghost arks, Illuminor, 5 wraiths and a stalker. :getin:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Heads up, GW have changed their policy on returns/replacements. I've just been told that I need to find a proof of purchase to send a tactical squad with a miscast back for replacement. This is reasonable enough, and standard consumer policy in the UK. However, as GW's previous policy was an exchange without proof, I've never bothered to rush to open and check for faults, or keep hold of receipts for toy men. I guess we have to do that now.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

DJ Dizzy posted:

I have 14 days to paint 10 immortals, 10 warriors, 2 ghost arks, Illuminor, 5 wraiths and a stalker. :getin:

Then quit posting and get to work!

but then post pictures

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

VolatileSky posted:

I always figured 40k forum sites were among the largest of gay hookup sites. Knew there was something about those group meetups at the "local club" with several guys on a Saturday night that struck me as odd.

What the gently caress, and here I was missing so much potential sex by being a clueless nerd.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Sex Cannon posted:

Then quit posting and get to work!

but then post pictures

I don't actually own a Tantalus, yet... Though it's clear I need one and I have ~6 months to buy, paint, and assemble it.

What's the army list construction guidelines for the Narrative? I didn't see it in the primer (probably overlooked).

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
2015 Narrative Primer

Essentially, they have written two 'supplements' for each codex that power up underpowered units, and you pick one depending on which side you're on. Other than that, you're can pretty much do whatever you want.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Phyresis posted:

suck a chaplains dick

Same.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

2015 Narrative Primer

Essentially, they have written two 'supplements' for each codex that power up underpowered units, and you pick one depending on which side you're on. Other than that, you're can pretty much do whatever you want.

There a site that lists 40K tournaments? 6 months is plenty of time for me to plan, but Washington D.C. I think is to far for any of my friends. As HAM as I have went these past months into the hobby, the idea of going to by myself isn't very attractive. Getting people to go to St.Louis ComicCon in May, which is only 2 1/2 hours away has been proving hard enough.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Yeah, the Dark Vengeance book was really helpful for me, and even something like the campaign box sets provides simple enough missions. One of the bigger barriers is the actual collecting of models and list building when you have no idea what you're doing, and the boxed sets do a lot to mitigate that.

One of the things GW does do very well is make starter sets that teach you how to play the game. The problem is that there are a whole bunch of legitimate reasons for not beginning with a starter set.

And really, learning how to play 40K is easy. Learning how to play it at anything but a crawling pace is a pain in the rear end. But even that isn't really difficult. It's just time consuming as you eventually memorize all the charts, formulas, and special rules.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Uroboros posted:

There a site that lists 40K tournaments? 6 months is plenty of time for me to plan, but Washington D.C. I think is to far for any of my friends. As HAM as I have went these past months into the hobby, the idea of going to by myself isn't very attractive. Getting people to go to St.Louis ComicCon in May, which is only 2 1/2 hours away has been proving hard enough.

You'll be able to hang out with us terrible people!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Prime silver, spot color green, dip black.

Done.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

2015 Narrative Primer

Is it 2000 points again? I didn't see that in the primer. I saw where it said warlords players should have an extra 1000, though.

Also, in the AM supplement at the Narrative, all non-flyer AM units can outflank. Hello outflanking Demolishers. Good to see you again!

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You'll be able to hang out with us terrible people!

How are points determined?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Wow lucky chaos:

quote:

Except for Cultists, no model chosen from Codex: Chaos Space Marines may be run down in combat via Sweeping
Advance. If they fail to disengage after breaking from combat due to Sweeping Advance, they remain locked in combat,
but with -1 to their WS and Initiative until the end of the following Assault Phase. Though not as Fearless as the
Emperor’s Finest, they do not recklessly throw away their superhuman lives!

Humanity – Aspect of Experience – Chaos Space Marines
Troops choices may select Icons and Marks for free (including units not normally Troops)
The Chaos player may modify his Psychic Power, Warlord and Initiative Stealing rolls by +/- 1

The Virtue – Aspect of Insanity – Chaos Space Marines
All Chaos Space Marine units gain the Hatred USR if they do not already possess it
All Chaos Space Marine units gain the Rage USR if they do not already possess it

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm going to test this out by showing my next date my entire collection of fully painted robot skeleton terminator pharaohs.

Will provide updates once I manage to actually find myself a date.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
We're in the middle of a campaign at my FLGS right now. We have three teams fighting for control. Three Tau players on one team, two Imp Guard and Blood angels on another, then Orks, Dark Eldar and Tyranids on the final team. The guy running it made some odd rules. You're only allowed one detachment. No allies, formations or second detachments. You cannot use any named/unique characters, but Forgeworld and Fortifications are allowed. Each game you get to choose between eternal war and maelstrom as your primary mission, worth 6 points. You then have the other as your secondary mission, worth 4 points. You roll for missions out of the book. Then there's solo blood, linebreaker and slay the warlord worth 1 point each. Every week a champion is named for each team, who gets double points that week.

It's been pretty fun so far. Next week we're having a team game. It's going to be nids and DE against both IG players. Should be an interesting matchup. Though I know that we'll be going against at least 8 Wyverns.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Video is up for the Bloodthirster including all the alternate builds and non-tiny-flame base options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=858PTB49TF4

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
So he gets an oval base now? At least that's what it looked like to me.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Hencoe posted:

So he gets an oval base now? At least that's what it looked like to me.

You think he'd fit on a dinky little 60mm?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

I'd say this is a little too Red Pill for my liking but I think playing 40k automatically plants you somewhere in the beta to gamma range of males.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Koreban, I heard you had a moderately successful list a few months (possibly a year) ago using jump infantry versus Eldar and Wave Snakes.

Did you just spam a crap-ton of ASM with PF and TH?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Kaysette posted:

I'd say this is a little too Red Pill for my liking but I think playing 40k automatically plants you somewhere in the beta to gamma range of males.

With all the *~ Biotruths ~* I hope it's satire. I'm no longer capable of distinguishing the two.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You think he'd fit on a dinky little 60mm?

No, figured it would be an oval or the 100mm circle. Guess it was more of a comment than a question.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I've never bothered to hide the Warhams when I bring a girl to my apartment, and none have been repulsed by it and most think it's pretty cool that I paint them. That said, I'm not creepy or obsessive about it and don't think it gives me some "evolutionary advantage."

Sidenote, current girlfriend wants me to paint a miniature for her but I have no idea what to paint that would represent her... any ideas?

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Boon posted:

I've never bothered to hide the Warhams when I bring a girl to my apartment, and none have been repulsed by it and most think it's pretty cool that I paint them. That said, I'm not creepy or obsessive about it and don't think it gives me some "evolutionary advantage."

Sidenote, current girlfriend wants me to paint a miniature for her but I have no idea what to paint that would represent her... any ideas?

You're asking this thread? My god man.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lord Twisted posted:

You're asking this thread? My god man.

:(

Didn't know if anyone had a cool model in mind that isn't your typical nerd fantasy female.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Boon posted:

A Tyrannocyte. Not only does it vaguely resemble a heart, she will also respect your practical nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Maybe ask her what she wants?

I generally don't see a reason why painting minis should freak people out, as long as you keep your kingdom death dicklions (and, to be fair, dark eldar slaves, sisters repentia, etc etc) hidden in the cupboard.

• Locked thread