Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Not a Children posted:

How do y'all deal with academic anxiety? I'm in a distance graduate degree program, and I've been burning myself out over my classes. I get minor heart pangs whenever I get emails from my professors or dare to check on my homework grades. Things came to a head yesterday when I had my first exam; I spent about 10 minutes kicking off the jitters before I could finally get my bearings and get cracking on the problems. This never really happened during undergrad, but somehow in the 3 years between then and now I've become terrified of screwing up. I feel like I need a way to manage my anxiety better; any tips?

Simple, we vent here; http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3478841

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to post in that thread seeing as how my problem seems pretty small. I'll move it over there.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I just bought a .com on godaddy

The tumblr and the wordpress versions of my .com are already taken. Can I still use my .com with either of those services?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

e: oops

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I just bought a .com on godaddy

The tumblr and the wordpress versions of my .com are already taken. Can I still use my .com with either of those services?

Yes, you can use domain for your tumblr or wordpress blog, though people may be confused by the username on the site not matching the domain.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I actually am the technical owner of the tumblr and wordpress versions, when I registered it as a placeholder both about 5 years ago..and then completely forgot the information. No clue what the email I used is and when I try to recover it it doesn't work. Sucks but oh well.

Would I be able to effectively "mask" having the different username on wordpress to outside people? Not that it really matters I suppose, just wondering

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I actually am the technical owner of the tumblr and wordpress versions, when I registered it as a placeholder both about 5 years ago..and then completely forgot the information. No clue what the email I used is and when I try to recover it it doesn't work. Sucks but oh well.

Would I be able to effectively "mask" having the different username on wordpress to outside people? Not that it really matters I suppose, just wondering

You can probably contact tumblr at least about clearing out the inactive "user" once you have the domain bought. On Wordpress, the username doesn't need to show up unless you're using very default templates.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Cool I'll just set it up with wordpress! Hypothetically, I'm really not familiar with tumblr much, but say I wanted to use it for the my domain and did that and whatever. And wanted to make my .com a tumblr music blog. Would any issues arise out of having a differing username, .tumblr.com, and .com?

Like not issues with the website but I know tumblr has the whole reblog/sharing thing, would people be like ah poo poo this is all hosed up how do I get to the right place?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Cool I'll just set it up with wordpress! Hypothetically, I'm really not familiar with tumblr much, but say I wanted to use it for the my domain and did that and whatever. And wanted to make my .com a tumblr music blog. Would any issues arise out of having a differing username, .tumblr.com, and .com?

Like not issues with the website but I know tumblr has the whole reblog/sharing thing, would people be like ah poo poo this is all hosed up how do I get to the right place?

When they clicked through it would go to the right blog, but they might be confused if they reblog from "coolname.com" and the username at the head of the post is "othercoolname". Of course people already use completely different names for the tumblr versus the domain all the time.

Of course like I said, you can probably convince tumblr to let you move to the proper name after your site's been going for a while and the original blog with that name has been inactive for 6 years.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Cool. I think I'll try that. Thanks for the help

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

I have a terrible, horrible time shopping for shirts because I have really broad shoulders and I'm not very tall. Most mediums are too small across the chest and barely cover my arms -- but fit me lengthwise. Larges fit me better across the chest and arms but billow out at the bottom.
Would going to a tailor(?) to get sized help for online shopping? Would bringing in t-shirts to get fitted at a place that does alterations be super costly?

Any advice would be great. I feel like any cheap source of clothes like department stores and "graphic-T" type sites have shirts for an entire different species.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Baldbeard posted:

I have a terrible, horrible time shopping for shirts because I have really broad shoulders and I'm not very tall. Most mediums are too small across the chest and barely cover my arms -- but fit me lengthwise. Larges fit me better across the chest and arms but billow out at the bottom.
Would going to a tailor(?) to get sized help for online shopping? Would bringing in t-shirts to get fitted at a place that does alterations be super costly?

Any advice would be great. I feel like any cheap source of clothes like department stores and "graphic-T" type sites have shirts for an entire different species.

You're not specifying whether you mean tees, dress shirts, knits, etc. I would recommend Made to Measure places such as Indochino.com for dress shirts. They do have a "tailor kit" available on their site or you can just print out the input forms and bring them along. While the price initially seems crazy when compared to a lower-end department store shirt, I've found that they're far better made, last a lot longer, and actually fit properly. I tended to wait until they did promo packs of three shirts and then just built up my reserves over a year or two.

If you're talking knits or tees, just make sure the shoulders fit and then get them tailored.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SIHappiness posted:

You're not specifying whether you mean tees, dress shirts, knits, etc. I would recommend Made to Measure places such as Indochino.com for dress shirts. They do have a "tailor kit" available on their site or you can just print out the input forms and bring them along. While the price initially seems crazy when compared to a lower-end department store shirt, I've found that they're far better made, last a lot longer, and actually fit properly. I tended to wait until they did promo packs of three shirts and then just built up my reserves over a year or two.

If you're talking knits or tees, just make sure the shoulders fit and then get them tailored.

For custom shirts I've had very good experiences with iTailor.com.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Is there a headphones thread, or even a general A/V forum? Maybe I'm an idiot but I know there used to be one.

Edit: balls, I found it

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 27, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
- I just made a greasemonkey script that will hide threads SA forums, where is the best place to publish it?
- can I just post links to my script on the SA forums?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Don't you have payslips? If not, can you ask your employer to provide that information?

I do direct deposit and opted for no paper stub. I wouldn't think this situation would happen.

CzarChasm posted:

You probably won't be charged with fraud if it was an honest mistake. If you under represented (took less than what you were allowed) no one will give a poo poo. If you take more that what you are allowed, then you will have to pay the extra back and may be ineligible for benefits for a year or so. (Speaking from Wisconsin experience) Here's the CA Unemployment FAQ on Overpayment
http://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/FAQ_for_Overpayments.htm

As Tiggum pointed out though you can ask for that from your former employer (unless the company dissolved into the ether). And do you not have roughly some idea of what you were paid for that year, even ballpark? I mean it's your gross, that's before taxes so you should be able to do some basic math and figure it out. If you made $40,000 during that year, then you made 10,000 during that quarter. Round it down a bit.

Finally, I seem to recall that there are 800 numbers and such to call for help on these forms. Here, here's the line for California Unemployment Services 1-800-815-9387. They deal with these kind of questions all day. Ironically, people with questions like yours keep them employed.

My hours are inconsistent so dividing my total income last year wont work out. All I got is the gross from my deposits. I'll give that number a call though, thanks.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Leal posted:

I do direct deposit and opted for no paper stub. I wouldn't think this situation would happen.

My hours are inconsistent so dividing my total income last year wont work out. All I got is the gross from my deposits. I'll give that number a call though, thanks.

If I remember correctly, that "basis period" part is just to establish eligibility. You put your wage in elsewhere. Basically, they're making sure you paid enough into the system to make sure you can get your share out. I.e. if you were unemployed for 3 years, worked for a week, and got fired, you might not be eligible.

I don't think it's used to calculate your benefits, if that's why you're worried about fraud.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Who's this guy?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Tiggum posted:

Who's this guy?

...is it not Buddha? Looks like an unopened lotus in the right hand, and a treasure vase in the left.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jeza posted:

...is it not Buddha? Looks like an unopened lotus in the right hand, and a treasure vase in the left.

I thought Buddha was the skinny one?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
There's more than one Buddha lads, ain't all mister tear-off-me-eyelids.

Figuring out which one is a little tricky, though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Buddha is kind of a title from my limited understanding.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
It's actually a single guy that keeps resurrecting until everyone is saved from suffering.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's the deal with Coca Cola Life? I tasted some and it tastes like regular Coke.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Kurtofan posted:

What's the deal with Coca Cola Life? I tasted some and it tastes like regular Coke.

Less calories because it's a sugar / stevia blend. More calories than diet, though.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I thought Buddha was the skinny one?

No that's Ghandi.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Siddhartha Guatama (THE Buddha)

Hotei (who everyone thinks is the Buddha but is just a buddha):

In Buddhism, the term Buddha is sometimes used to refer to a person who has attained enlightenment through practice.

That statue could easily be the former.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 27, 2015

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

Less calories because it's a sugar / stevia blend. More calories than diet, though.

I'm starting to see a lot of Stevia drinks these days. Does is have a distinct/noticeable taste like aspartame?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LegalPad posted:

I'm starting to see a lot of Stevia drinks these days. Does is have a distinct/noticeable taste like aspartame?

You can sorta taste it, but it's not like, bad. It's rather like when you have something made with Splenda and sugar.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

LegalPad posted:

It does. I vastly prefer aspartame or sucralose to it, but I know a lot of people who prefer stevia.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

LegalPad posted:

It tastes soapy to some people, not to others. Like cilantro/coriander leaf.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

LegalPad posted:

Stevia is popular because it's the least-worst tasting low/no-calorie sugar replacement that you can call 'natural'. Relevant NYTimes article.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm working on some face detection stuff, and want to know what sort of ranges exist for various ratios in the head/face - width of head to distance from eyebrows to chin, distance between eyes to width of head, etc. I've tried doing some Google searches, but I only find stuff about ratios between head height and body height or ideal ratios, or articles about face width:height in regards to aggression/dominance/whatever. Does anyone have any resources?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

I'm working on some face detection stuff, and want to know what sort of ranges exist for various ratios in the head/face - width of head to distance from eyebrows to chin, distance between eyes to width of head, etc. I've tried doing some Google searches, but I only find stuff about ratios between head height and body height or ideal ratios, or articles about face width:height in regards to aggression/dominance/whatever. Does anyone have any resources?

Check out the Manual of Phrenology, particularly if you're looking to cater to the "right kind" of clients with the "ideal" facial and cranial characteristics, if you know what I mean.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

tuyop posted:

Check out the Manual of Phrenology, particularly if you're looking to cater to the "right kind" of clients with the "ideal" facial and cranial characteristics, if you know what I mean.

Haha. When I remembered about Google Scholar, I found an article from mid-century that measured the heads of a few thousand military folks for the purposes of understanding morphological change in the 20s.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

In the entry of my local Wal-Mart is an automatic key making machine. What's to stop someone from using it to duplicate "Do Not Duplicate"-labeled keys?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

regulargonzalez posted:

In the entry of my local Wal-Mart is an automatic key making machine. What's to stop someone from using it to duplicate "Do Not Duplicate"-labeled keys?

Nothing, "do not duplicate" rarely has force of law attached anyway. A lot of do not duplicate keys are however of odd sizes and such that might not be successfully copied by the machine.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

The automatic ones have a very small selection of automatically made keys. It's basically house keys and a really small selection of car keys. All other ones are made in the back in TLE with the exact same machine, but key selection is done by an employee. The only thing these machines do differently over the old ones is that the copying of the key is done by laser sight instead of the metal feeler.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nothing, "do not duplicate" rarely has force of law attached anyway. A lot of do not duplicate keys are however of odd sizes and such that might not be successfully copied by the machine.
I have carried a number of "do not duplicate" keys in my life, starting with finding the janitor's keys in middle school and duplicating the master key, moving on to being a productive citizen in the working world with an office key and now being a landlord with a master-key system on the apartments. Much of this was before the age of the key making machine, when you had to interact with a human.

I have never even been given a sideways glance or a second look, much less asked for any verification when duplicating a "do not duplicate" key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

The fact that those machines suck and will rarely produce a successful copy?