Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

The Slippery Nipple posted:

Anyone got any suggestions for night clubs in Berlin? Seems like everyone I talk about Berlin has some one to recommend but I've forgotten to write them down.
What kind of music are you interested in?

quote:

Also whats the best museums to visit? I'm interested in both art and history. Also looking for recommendations on poo poo to do in general seeing as I plan to be there around 2 weeks.
Everything on the Museumsinsel is worth a visit. Even though the Pergamonaltar is closed for renovations at the moment, you can still see TONS of neat stuff including for example the Ishtar Gate of ancient Babylon. The Deutsches Historisches Museum is also pretty nice, showing the history of the German people over the past 2000 years. The Jewish Museum (Jüdisches Museum) is also pretty great and a must-see. For modern and contemporary art check out the Hamburger Bahnhof museum (might want to check their website to see what's going on at the moment.) The Martin-Gropius-Bau has changing exhibitions on art and history, last year's highlights included an Ai Weiwei solo show, a Vikings history exhibition, and an exhibition on Pier Paolo Pasolini's years in Rome. Check their website to see what's going on during your stay. Right next to it is the Topographie des Terrors, a free-entry exhibition on the site of the Gestapo/SS/RSHA headquarters showing the terror state created by the Nazis. They have a permanent part and always some specific limited-time thing (I liked the on they did last year on a WWII propaganda reporter who later became the author of books explaining sexuality to children in Swabian dialect.) There's also a new permanent exhibition at the former East German Stasi HQ which is supposed to be really good but I haven't been, yet. The Berlinische Galerie has some nice modern art centered around Berlin (i.e. artists from Berlin or who spent some time working in Berlin), though it might be closed for renovations at the moment, I don't remember. These are the ones that come to mind immediately but there are tons more, Berlin has around 160 museums including totally niche things like the Ramones museum, the Currywurst museum, or the puppet theatre museum.

For other things to do: what are you interested in?

Edit: another museum I can recommend is the Deutsches Technikmuseum if you're interested in technological history.

Edit2: Once you arrive you might want to pick up a copy of the Exberliner, which is an English-language monthly catering to the expat crowd and includes relevant events listings.

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
The three museums opposite the Schloss Charlottenburg (Museum Berggruen/Sammlung Scharf-Gerstenberg and Museum Bröhan) are also quite good for more modern art.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I'm prolly flying into Rome for a couple days by myself, couple questions.

Should I Airbnb or a hostel? If the latter are there any recommendations.

Is Rome dangerous to be almost 100% on your own with limited Italian?

What are some of the best things I could do in Rome? (I'm a history major with an Art History minor, so feel free to throw as much as you want at me.)

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

I'm prolly flying into Rome for a couple days by myself, couple questions.

Should I Airbnb or a hostel? If the latter are there any recommendations.

Is Rome dangerous to be almost 100% on your own with limited Italian?

What are some of the best things I could do in Rome? (I'm a history major with an Art History minor, so feel free to throw as much as you want at me.)

- We did AirBNB and it was awesome, but either are probably good.
- No
- Galleria Borghese, the Forum, Colloseo, The Vatican, Fontana di Trevi and the Pantheon

This will definitely take up a few days. If you like wandering/have extra time I'd go to Santa Maria della Vittoria (the ecstacy of St Theresa), Santa Maria in Trastevere, Santa Maria dei Angeli (I think that's the one... it's the one Michaelangelo designed when he was well into his 80s). There's also some smaller ones that are cool (there's one that had a few Caravaggio paintings that were awesome but I can't remember where it was).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Rome's a Big Tourist City, so you're 100% sure to easily find someone who speaks English. Cafés and hotels are your best bet, but it's also likely that if you ask someone on the street about something they'll be able to answer.

Of course, as with all Big Tourist Cities, standard rules of engagement apply: watch your belongings; don't carry too much money at the same time; don't accept any invitation by "kind strangers"; don't go into dark alleys alone at night; and so on and so forth. Bottom line is, if you use basic common sense you'll be fine.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rome is like disneyland for adults, except it's all, well, Rome Themed. I can sort of read spanish and after about 90 minutes of acclimation I was able to understand most street signs etc. in Italian. Every restaurant I went in to had an English language menu available (or had english translations included) and I usually didn't have to ask for it.

Hostels are either really really good (and thus booked weeks in advanced) or completely awful (the one I booked the day-before in the middle of July was basically two indian guys squatting in an apartment full of bed bugs - do not do this)

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

Depending on the weather, I found that Ostia Antica was pretty stunning and gives you a sense of scale better than anywhere else, but if you haven't been to the Roman Forum before, do that instead. After a while old brick ruins will kind of run together, and the Roman Forum is a bit more spectacular (and still quite huge).

nissu
Apr 29, 2014
Does someone have tips for Slovenia and Croatia? We are trying to plan our honeymoon and decided to go there.

We don't have anything specific planned yet (no flights, no routes, no hotels..) just that we would be there for two weeks between May and June. Is that an ok time to travel there? We try to avoid the peak tourist season and would still like to enjoy the flourishing nature.

Any and all hints for hotels, routes, places to see and places to avoid are welcome. Our rough plan is to fly to Ljubljana, Slovenia, rent a car, drive somewhere close to Triglav national park, hike there for day or two (or three), then drive to Plitvicka jezera via Pula and island of Krk (and hike there..). After Plitvicka we would drive back to the coast and drive by Velebit, Paklenica and Krka national parks (and surprise surprise! Hike there!). Then we would continue towards Split and maybe do a trip to the beaches in Podgora. After the two weeks we would be flying back home from Split, Croatia.

We are outdoorsy, so there's no need for a city holiday, but we'd like to spend our nights in decent hotels or cozy B&B's just to have a little luxury to our otherwise nature-filled trip.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

nissu posted:

Does someone have tips for Slovenia and Croatia? We are trying to plan our honeymoon and decided to go there.

We don't have anything specific planned yet (no flights, no routes, no hotels..) just that we would be there for two weeks between May and June. Is that an ok time to travel there? We try to avoid the peak tourist season and would still like to enjoy the flourishing nature.

Any and all hints for hotels, routes, places to see and places to avoid are welcome. Our rough plan is to fly to Ljubljana, Slovenia, rent a car, drive somewhere close to Triglav national park, hike there for day or two (or three), then drive to Plitvicka jezera via Pula and island of Krk (and hike there..). After Plitvicka we would drive back to the coast and drive by Velebit, Paklenica and Krka national parks (and surprise surprise! Hike there!). Then we would continue towards Split and maybe do a trip to the beaches in Podgora. After the two weeks we would be flying back home from Split, Croatia.

We are outdoorsy, so there's no need for a city holiday, but we'd like to spend our nights in decent hotels or cozy B&B's just to have a little luxury to our otherwise nature-filled trip.

I loved Ljubljana in general, and Hotel Antiq in specific. The miniature downtown area is really nice -- pedestrian only, clean, old-time-feely but not rundown.

Maribor is a pit; how it became European Capital of Culture in 2012 or whatever I have no idea. I guess that label is meaningless. In my relatively limited experience of following the main highways and stopping in major towns, everything east of Ljubljana is worth skipping. The nice part of the country is northwest, southwest, or central, which seems to be what you're hitting.

Surprisingly, Lake Bled is not on your list? It probably should be.

There are some pretty cool caves around Divaca (near Trieste). I think there are a few different ones; I went to Skocjan caves and thought it was pretty interesting, especially the entrance (in a -huge- pit in the middle of a bunch of hills; I can see why no one knew about it until like 1900). It's a good thing you have a car. I had a car, but I remember train connections being terrible when someone else was describing it on this forum.

Piran is nice though super touristy. Koper is not particularly nice and also not touristy at all. Take your pick; I much preferred Piran. Trieste, albeit not in Slovenia, is surprisingly distinct from the rest of northern Italy.

Slovenia's super nice; it's like a budget Switzerland. I spent two weeks there in mid-April a few years ago and it was nice, although not quite beach weather. Swimming is probably going to be too cold for comfort when you're there, but YMMV.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 25, 2015

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
In Croatia, if you can go that far and have enough time you should try to see Dubrovnik. It can be heaving with tourists in the summer months but if you go in May it won't be anywhere near as bad. It really is a picture perfect medieval port and town.
You should also try to get out and see some of the islands.
Hvar is the popular one but it is quite a posh place for the rich to hang out and if you don't fancy that it can be a little grating, although not that much, it is no Capri and it is still a fantastic place to see.
Mljet is another great island to visit, especially if you like doing out doors type stuff.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Slovenia's gorgeous and good value. I'd also really recommend Lake Bohinj, more so than Bled even. Ljubljana is a fun little city.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

schoenfelder posted:

What kind of music are you interested in?

Pretty much into anything besides heavy rock/metal. Love a bit of deep house/trance/trap/triphop weirdness. I keep hearing of all these 'walk in Friday night, leave Sunday morning' kinda places and I have to (attempt to) experience that because goddamn.

Thanks for all the awesome info! I didn't realise there were so many goddamn museums in Berlin.

nissu
Apr 29, 2014

sweek0 posted:

Slovenia's gorgeous and good value. I'd also really recommend Lake Bohinj, more so than Bled even. Ljubljana is a fun little city.

I kind of included Bled to the whole "Triglav area", and we actually planned to make a base to Lake Bohinj and take day hikes from there and also visit Bled one day.

Edit: Do any of you have experience on day hikes around Lake Bohinj?

nissu fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 26, 2015

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

Pretty much into anything besides heavy rock/metal. Love a bit of deep house/trance/trap/triphop weirdness. I keep hearing of all these 'walk in Friday night, leave Sunday morning' kinda places and I have to (attempt to) experience that because goddamn.
I don't know about those specific genres and generally most of the electronic scene is house/tech-house/minimal/techno at the moment. With that being said here's a few solid places you should check out on Resident Advisor to see what's going on during your stay:

Sisyphos
Berghain
Kater Blau
Salon zur Wilden Renate
Ritter Butzke
Stattbad
://about blank
Suicide Circus

schoenfelder fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 27, 2015

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011

Anyone got any suggestions for night clubs in Berlin? Seems like everyone I talk about Berlin has some one to recommend but I've forgotten to write them down.

Also whats the best museums to visit? I'm interested in both art and history. Also looking for recommendations on poo poo to do in general seeing as I plan to be there around 2 weeks.

Have you ever played an Escape Room? If not, The Room - Go West was my favorite experience on a recent trip to Berlin. Amazingly fun group activity!

http://www.the-room-berlin.com/en/the-room

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

nissu posted:

That's a nice plan. I've never heard of hiking on Krk. I'm sure it exists (there's hardly a place on Croatian coast where you can't hike) but if you'll be in Pula you might have a better time hiking in the inner parts of Istra. They are well-known for hiking and biking trails, picturesque villages and excellent food.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Anyone know about cell providers in Europe? I was in Italy for 6 months a couple years ago and used a Wind SIM card but when id leave the country it normally didn't work. I'm going on a trip to Italy, Prague, and Barcelona soon and was wondering if there was one card I can get that will work for me throughout the trip.

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011
Anyone see any problems with using a prepaid O2 UK SIM in Germany? I have one, and have a balance on it from earlier this year still, and it's just more convenient to use it instead of getting another when I land. Just wondering about additional fees for usage, etc.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm staying in Lisbon and Paris for 4 days each. What are the "must-dos" on that time?

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I'm staying in Lisbon and Paris for 4 days each. What are the "must-dos" on that time?

Lisbon: Already got yourself a hotel hostel booked? If not, Travellers House sets up the coolest trips I've ever been on from a hostel ever. Their trip to Sintra/Cabo da Roca and their Lisboa at Night tour are unmissable if only for the information.

Also, for Lisbon, look into the yellow streetcar up to the old town and ramble around. The streetcar is just so iconic and yet it still seems like something that a lot of travelers don't do. Enjoy the street art and other things. The Castle of Saint George (aka Castelo de Sao Jorge) is really, really cool. Go down to the wharf/harbor/whatever and check out Pasteis de Belem. Early after nightfall and chow down watching the insane lights over their insane viaducts/bridges. Lisbon is a fuckin' trip, if only to ramble around in Baixa near the waterfront and the Praca do Comercio during the day, and where-the-hell-ever in the Bairro Alto at night. Don't be too drunk to function, but it's perfectly safe and an absolute blast of a town.

Also, Miradouro da Senhora do Monte. Or just "the Miradouro." So awesome at dusk.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 3, 2015

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I'm traveling to Barcelona for a week over the Easter holidays. Do you have any recommendations for trips while there? I was in Barcelona over a decade ago and the city was great but I only spent 3-4 days there. Not sure if it will keep me and GF interested for a full week. Are there cheap lines to Madrid or Marseille or Palma de Mallorca? Or interesting places you can reach by bus/train (I remember Figueres). We like all kinds of stuff - culture, partying, outdoors - and we'll probably want to stay in a budget hotel or a private room in a hostel or Air BnB.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 3, 2015

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Apparently there are some SAS (the airline) strikes - I'm supposed to be flying with them in a couple weeks, what are my options if my flight to Copenhagen is canceled?

edit:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2015/03/03/labor-disputes-disrupt-sas-norwegian-flights-in-scandinavia/24305811/

It sounds like they are back on the job but who knows what will happen in the next few weeks.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 4, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FaceEater posted:

Lisbon: Already got yourself a hotel hostel booked? If not, Travellers House sets up the coolest trips I've ever been on from a hostel ever. Their trip to Sintra/Cabo da Roca and their Lisboa at Night tour are unmissable if only for the information.

Also, for Lisbon, look into the yellow streetcar up to the old town and ramble around. The streetcar is just so iconic and yet it still seems like something that a lot of travelers don't do. Enjoy the street art and other things. The Castle of Saint George (aka Castelo de Sao Jorge) is really, really cool. Go down to the wharf/harbor/whatever and check out Pasteis de Belem. Early after nightfall and chow down watching the insane lights over their insane viaducts/bridges. Lisbon is a fuckin' trip, if only to ramble around in Baixa near the waterfront and the Praca do Comercio during the day, and where-the-hell-ever in the Bairro Alto at night. Don't be too drunk to function, but it's perfectly safe and an absolute blast of a town.

Also, Miradouro da Senhora do Monte. Or just "the Miradouro." So awesome at dusk.

Thanks! I'm going to see if I can go to all of those. What can I do on 4 days in Paris after that?

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what's the best way to get from Krakow to Katowice airport via public transit? This would be next Monday or Tuesday.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Thanks! I'm going to see if I can go to all of those. What can I do on 4 days in Paris after that?

If I had four days in Paris and had never been:

Day 1: Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe
Day 2: Louvre
Day 3: Versailles
Day 4: Tour Montparnasse, Montmartre

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

HookShot posted:

If I had four days in Paris and had never been:

Day 1: Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe
Day 2: Louvre
Day 3: Versailles
Day 4: Tour Montparnasse, Montmartre

As someone currently in Paris doing the tourist thing, Sainte-Chapelle is a pro loving visit. Notre Dame for the grand scale of gothic architecture, Sainte-Chapelle for the absolute pinnacle of the ideas behind it.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Going to be in Madrid on 3/22, same day they play against Barcelona. Any recommendations on places to watch the match? Wouldn't mind buying tickets to a bar/pub or whatever ahead of time so have some place to go. No idea what to expect

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Going to be in Madrid on 3/22, same day they play against Barcelona. Any recommendations on places to watch the match? Wouldn't mind buying tickets to a bar/pub or whatever ahead of time so have some place to go. No idea what to expect

You might have better luck in the La Liga thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3652824

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
How much to the Raileurope prices rise if you're booking say 3 days before you want to leave? With certain cities Id rather leave my departure date open ended in case I want to stay longer.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Leaving for Amsterdam in three days :cool:

I'm going to be there for seven days, buying groceries for breakfast at least and eating out otherwise. How much cash would you recommend I get at the airport? The only other costs I should have are a few train trips within the country, and probably some museums.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Are there any Rome/general Italy people I could talk to via PM that would be interested in dealing with a lot of questions!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I live in the northeast of Italy, and I really don't know Rome very well, I passed through Fiumicino airport several times en-route to other places because of work but that's about it. If I can help, ask away.

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?

actionjackson posted:

Leaving for Amsterdam in three days :cool:

I'm going to be there for seven days, buying groceries for breakfast at least and eating out otherwise. How much cash would you recommend I get at the airport? The only other costs I should have are a few train trips within the country, and probably some museums.
Exchange rates at airports are usually pretty bad, whether you're using an ATM or a counter. Consider withdrawing a small amount and using local ATMs to top up your wallet, instead. Amsterdam has shitloads of bank machines.

Groceries here are pretty cheap, you can probably allocate €5-10/day for breakfast. Avoid Albert Heijn To Go if possible, they're more expensive than the regular sized Albert Heijn stores. Other grocery stores like Dirk/Jumbo also exist, and for some things are cheaper than AH.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm trying to figure out German trains and not being a German speaker I'm having some trouble. Is there a map of what cities are served or what routes are run or something?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm trying to figure out German trains and not being a German speaker I'm having some trouble. Is there a map of what cities are served or what routes are run or something?

Use Bahn.de, it has an English version

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...

FISHMANPET posted:

Basically nearly every town with more than let's say 5,000 inhabitants (and some smaller places) will be connected to the train network so that's a bit like asking if there's a map of bus stops for a given city. Here's the Deutsche Bahn Kursbuch though (only in German): http://kursbuch.bahn.de

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

You can probably find maps of each state and their train networks (if you really want to look at a map) but otherwise, yeah, you should just use the DB website.

Wikipedia also has some maps of the high speed train network:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/eb/ICEtracks.png

Mario Incandenza posted:

Exchange rates at airports are usually pretty bad, whether you're using an ATM or a counter. Consider withdrawing a small amount and using local ATMs to top up your wallet, instead. Amsterdam has shitloads of bank machines.

Groceries here are pretty cheap, you can probably allocate €5-10/day for breakfast. Avoid Albert Heijn To Go if possible, they're more expensive than the regular sized Albert Heijn stores. Other grocery stores like Dirk/Jumbo also exist, and for some things are cheaper than AH.

It's been awhile since I was in Amsterdam, but can't you pay with your maestro bank card at a lot of places? Or am I mixing it up with Copenhagen?

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 9, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So my use case is that in the summer of 2016 I'm probably going to be bumming around Europe for a few weeks with a friend while she's between Academic conferences (England & Stokholm with 3 weeks in between) so we're planning on just doing whatever in between. The only parameters are start in Bath, preferably do as much travel as possible via train, visit Cottbus Germany, and end up in Stokholm (this part will probably require a quick flight). From Wikipedia I can tell that Cottbus is fairly decent rail hub, so I can probably get to/from pretty much anywhere from there, it'd just be nice if I could look at an easy map that shows what routes are leaving the city and where they go. It's one of those things were if it's easy to go to <place> then maybe we'll go there, who knows.

I looked at that map but I'm dumb and can't even find Berlin.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

FISHMANPET posted:

So my use case is that in the summer of 2016 I'm probably going to be bumming around Europe for a few weeks with a friend while she's between Academic conferences (England & Stokholm with 3 weeks in between) so we're planning on just doing whatever in between. The only parameters are start in Bath, preferably do as much travel as possible via train, visit Cottbus Germany, and end up in Stokholm (this part will probably require a quick flight). From Wikipedia I can tell that Cottbus is fairly decent rail hub, so I can probably get to/from pretty much anywhere from there, it'd just be nice if I could look at an easy map that shows what routes are leaving the city and where they go. It's one of those things were if it's easy to go to <place> then maybe we'll go there, who knows.

I looked at that map but I'm dumb and can't even find Berlin.

You can technically do all of it by train, though it might be easier and cheaper to fly from London to Berlin or some such (otherwise this would probably mean going from Bath to London Paddington, and from London St Pancras via the Eurotunnel, i.e. via Paris and Brussels to Cologne/Frankfurt). One can also take a train from say Berlin to Copenhagen (the City Night Line is quite nice, and there is an ICE that they put on a ferry, which is pretty cool and doesn't take quite as long), but it takes forever, and Stockholm would be quite a bit further, still. So again, look at flights from Berlin to Stockholm, and try to avoid Ryanair, since "Stockholm-Skavsta" is not great to get to and really rather far away.

Within Germany, everything can be easily reached via train. Chances are, if you have heard of a city, and if it qualifies as a city, you probably won't have trouble catching a train to somewhere useful. From Cottbus, your next bigger options would probably be Berlin, Magdeburg, Dresden and Leipzig. Or Frankfurt/Oder, though I'm not sure why one would want to go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mario Incandenza posted:

They have bank machines at the airport, I was going to use those:

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/AtSchiphol/AirportFacilities/MoneyServices/ABNAMRO/OfficesOfABNAMRO.htm

Is Danske Bank ATM my best bet for the Copenhagen Airport?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 9, 2015