Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Powershift posted:

Anybody without flashing lights is doing more harm than good being on the road at that point. if he got out to do anything, he'd just be another obstacle.

What he should have done is put the loving camera down and get off the god drat road.

That's a valid perspective.. I guess my thought was if he's going to put himself in danger sitting on the shoulder recording he could have been doing something more productive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I generally agree with getting off the road in situations like that, while staying in your vehicle for safety. That one is a bit different, though: guardrails on both sides, icy conditions, road totally blocked. The guy with the camera didn't cause the double-trailer truck to slide, the two other trucks already pinned did. He did the safest thing he could, stay in his vehicle and pay attention to what is about to slam into his rear end.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

EightBit posted:

I generally agree with getting off the road in situations like that, while staying in your vehicle for safety. That one is a bit different, though: guardrails on both sides, icy conditions, road totally blocked. The guy with the camera didn't cause the double-trailer truck to slide, the two other trucks already pinned did. He did the safest thing he could, stay in his vehicle and pay attention to what is about to slam into his rear end.

Watch to the end of the video though, the road wasn't completely blocked the whole time, it cleared up while he was looking backwards to get that wicked awesome crash on camera so his facebook friends will acknowledge his existence for 15 minutes. He didn't even attempt to move out of the way in the large amount of space he had when a truck was headed towards him. He stopped moving altogether to stabilize his camera.

Trucks don't get moving very quickly, especially not on ice, but in the 50 seconds he's looking backwards, the truck that was in front of him at the start is completely gone. He endangered lives to film an accident. He's a rubbernecker with a camera. He didn't cause that accident, but could have quite easily caused the next one.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Watch to the end of the video though, the road wasn't completely blocked the whole time, it cleared up while he was looking backwards to get that wicked awesome crash on camera so his facebook friends will acknowledge his existence for 15 minutes. He didn't even attempt to move out of the way in the large amount of space he had when a truck was headed towards him. He stopped moving altogether to stabilize his camera.

Except when he started filming, there WAS a jacknife blocking the road, and he nearly got plowed into by a sliding double trailer semi. I doubt he planned the camera shot knowing that the trailer behind him was about to come plowing through...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Except when he started filming, there WAS a jacknife blocking the road, and he nearly got plowed into by a sliding double trailer semi. I doubt he planned the camera shot knowing that the trailer behind him was about to come plowing through...

And within the next 10 seconds, the truck in front of him started moving and he became the thing blocking the road.

It didn't cause further problems this time, but this is the kind of behavior that makes a bad situation that much worse.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 20, 2015

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Powershift posted:

Trucks don't get moving very quickly, especially not on ice, but in the 50 seconds he's looking backwards, the truck that was in front of him at the start is completely gone. He endangered lives to film an accident. He's a rubbernecker with a camera. He didn't cause that accident, but could have quite easily caused the next one.

I'm wondering if there was another accident, the back trailer seems to take a severe jolt near the end like it's taken a hit from something.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
He posted the aftermath: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xh0wP1R2eY

truls
Jan 6, 2003

Easy day.. Pick up two trailers arriving at 4am and drive them to a customer 15 minutes up the road. Then return and pick up a third trailer arriving at 6am and drive it up the road. Then some loads of empty pallets. What a nice day this will be - finally a day without stress...

I knew it was too good to be true - first train three hours delayed and now the whole day will be a struggle trying to catch up.. on a day with snowy roads where there will be 4-wheelers crashing everywhere..

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Welp guys, I hosed up.

As we speak, I am headed towards laredo texas, on a greyhound bus, to attend orintation for swift. I was told I could jump on board for flatbed headed out of laredo, but we all know how recruiters are.

Will keep you updated.

You're actually in luck. Swift has been so hard up for flatbed drivers to haul new expediter vans out of Laredo that I've seen a Chevy single axle (non-cdl) pulling a roll on car trailer picking up the slack. Enjoy that extended frame Cascadia though, looks like a bitch to turn.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

truls posted:

Easy day.. Pick up two trailers arriving at 4am and drive them to a customer 15 minutes up the road. Then return and pick up a third trailer arriving at 6am and drive it up the road. Then some loads of empty pallets. What a nice day this will be - finally a day without stress...

I knew it was too good to be true - first train three hours delayed and now the whole day will be a struggle trying to catch up.. on a day with snowy roads where there will be 4-wheelers crashing everywhere..

I worked for a few years at CP Rail's inter model container yard. There are so many things going on that are way out of the truckers control. Like unionised toploader drivers, Train derailments, truckers who get chatty with the girls at the check in and check outs.

Eventually I just said gently caress it and went at my own pace. I was paid by the hour so I'd just plod along at 5 under the speed limit until I didn't feel like working anymore and park my truck.

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014

Well, tomorrow morning this will be my first official truck I will be driving for the next 4 weeks. 2015. Every grind is going to make my butt hole pucker.

AllPraiseToAllah fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 26, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Every grind is going to make my butt hole pucker.

Meh, It's not a Mack. Eatons are fairly tolerant to grinding. Honestly most of the tranny failures I see are milkshakes from a failed cooler, range collar/air system failures and shock loading failures (in that order). I see maybe one or two collar grind-outs on a main box per year.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I passed a truck yesterday (don't remember what company) that had a steer wheel either flat out bent or so out of balance (there was a visible wobble) that it made the whole tractor shake like a washing machine with a brick in it.

Needless to say, I passed him as quickly as I could, and I hope he got that fixed ASAP because :stare:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Well, tomorrow morning this will be my first official truck I will be driving for the next 4 weeks. 2015. Every grind is going to make my butt hole pucker.

Good luck. If you end up doing flatbeds I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences. Not many doing flatbeds here.

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014

Totally TWISTED posted:

Good luck. If you end up doing flatbeds I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences. Not many doing flatbeds here.

I'll keep you updated!

For now, I'm going to finish up watching smokey and the bandit for the first time with my wife.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
"Training film"

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
Make sure to deduct it from your taxes.

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014
Trainning is going pretty good. halfway in i got got food poisoning in gallup new mexico, and had to go to the hospital, then I had to ride a greyhound home. Going back out tomorrow. Got one of these, say hello if see me out there goons

AllPraiseToAllah fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 17, 2015

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Why do they always make trainables trainees wear weird masks?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Splizwarf posted:

Why do they always make trainables trainees wear weird masks?

http://youtu.be/B3kngIqC1wg

A good video on the subject.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Trainning is going pretty good. halfway in i got got food poisoning in gallup new mexico, and had to go to the hospital, then I had to ride a greyhound home. Going back out tomorrow. Got one of these, say hello if see me out there goons

Lol I have to know where you ate. I lived in Gallup for years and a bunch of places there are sketchy as gently caress.

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014

VOR LOC posted:

Lol I have to know where you ate. I lived in Gallup for years and a bunch of places there are sketchy as gently caress.

It was a little hole in the wall poo poo hole. It was a fried burrito that had probably been left out under the heat lamp too long. I don't remember the name of it.

Lots of native Americans in gallup though. When I was in the ER, some native american lady was screaming about being in pain, and the doctor whispered to one of the nurses, "Shes just going though withdraw, which builds character, so don't give her anything but a Tylenol.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

:suspense:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

gallup new mexico

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

a fried burrito that had probably been left out under the heat lamp too long

It was an Allsup's, wasn't it? Probably the best-tasting fried burrito you can buy, but the company only pays window-licker wages and basic sanitation with window-lickers is questionable at best, so every time you buy food from an Allsup's you roll the dice on food poisoning.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Another bright idea from ATA

quote:

The American Trucking Association has announced their agenda for 2015 which predictably lists HOS fixes and highway funding at the top of their priorities, but they also have one goal that’s a bit of a surprise. They want to lower the minimum driver age to 18 years old.

Currently, the federally mandated minimum driver age for Class A CDL drivers is 21 years old. There are multiple reasons for this, but the prevailing logic is that driving is dangerous, driving big trucks even more so, and teenagers tend to be bad drivers.

According to some however, a minimum age of 21 could be a leading cause of the “driver shortage.”

Dave Osiecki, Executive Vice President of the ATA, has says that trucking is missing out on a lot of drivers because when kids graduate high school, those who don’t move on to college go to trade schools or into another profession – but due to minimum age requirements, that profession is never trucking.

“We all know the 18- to 21-year-old period is a time where we lose kids coming out of high school that don’t go to college but go to trade schools and into construction and other competing industries,” Osiecki said.

He does admit however that “Not every 18- or 19-year old should be behind the wheel of a truck,” and points to good training and proper oversight and monitoring as a way to make sure these kids stay safe behind the wheel.

The ATA aren’t the only ones who think lowering the minimum age is a good idea. A rapidly aging work force with only a few younger truckers joining every year doesn’t paint a good picture for the future of the industry’s work force. Shannon Newton, president of the Arkansas Trucking Association, shines some light on the grim situation in an interview with Arkansas Online.

“[The trucking industry] employed significantly more drivers in the 80s and 90s,” Newton said. “If you imagine, at that time, we attracted people who were somewhere between the ages of 25 and 40. Then you fast-forward 20 years, we still employ those same people. That does not set up for the future of the industry.”

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

Another bright idea from ATA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iabC7-9YUG4

Sure, bring people out who haven't been on the road for more than just a few years in a car, that'll bump our driver numbers and fill the ranks with kids who don't know what a good paycheck is...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

0rganDonor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iabC7-9YUG4

Sure, bring people out who haven't been on the road for more than just a few years in a car, that'll bump our driver numbers and fill the ranks with kids who don't know what a good paycheck is...

What IS a good paycheck anyway?

:shepspends:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Oh god. I can only imagine what the starting cpm rate will be for new drivers now if that new age requirement goes into effect.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

InterceptorV8 posted:

Look across the water, Brown Eyes, I'll tell you about the rabbits...

Turk February posted:

Oh god. I can only imagine what the starting cpm rate will be for new drivers now if that new age requirement goes into effect.

poo poo, I started at PAM at 17.5 cpm as a team driver.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

InterceptorV8 posted:

I just surpassed my father's wage (he hauls dirt these days so he's paid hourly).
He's been driving trucks for 35+ years. I've been fixing them for two. Quite a hosed up industry, this one.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 21, 2015

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

I figure I won't want to be out on the roads much longer if the ATA comes up with any more Real Bright Ideas®

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yup, age is definitely the thing you lot are complaining about the most, flawless plan.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Skip to 5:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JTQni5K5wM

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
That trailer took it pretty well!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Jared592 posted:

The multiple pallets of Fabergé Eggs, on the other hand...

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

I used to work on those wind turbines up the hill to the right. That intersection was always a pucker moment when trying to go straight, like the truck that smoked the trailer, as almost no one went straight. 97 is just about the only highway going north/south unless you wanted to drive 70 odd miles to the west.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Jared592 posted:

Yeah no poo poo.

I wonder what was going through the mind of the guy filming the whole thing (besides "What the gently caress?!")

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

SouthLAnd posted:

Yeah no poo poo.

I wonder what was going through the mind of the guy filming the whole thing (besides "What the gently caress?!")

"This cuntbag just loving ruined my whole drive. I'm not getting out of here for an hour, and that's only if my truck didn't get so much as farted on by that trailer. Now I'm not going to be able to unload in time and I'll be stuck in BFE sleeping"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

He could've had the decency to use all the time he now had standing around to edit that loving video down a bit.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jared592 posted:

Always thought trailers were made of paper bags and dried monkey poo poo from watching Highway to Hell. But if you slow it down, you can see the rear wheels took the brunt of the impact. I'd bet that a foot or two in in either direction and that trailer would have been in pieces.

I hope the driver of the truck that hit that dumbass was okay, that was a hell of a hit. :ohdear:

MrYenko posted:

He could've had the decent to use all the time he now had standing around to edit that loving video down a bit.

Not everyone has Windows Movie Maker even though it's free oh who am I kidding he was just being lazy with the video.

Kinda tempted to set my cam for at least 5 minute clips now though. Dunno about 10, since the firmware on mine won't let me FF/RW. Then again, I have my laptop with me pretty much constantly, so popping the SD card into it isn't exactly a big deal. Battery on my camera is shot enough that I can't play back video without it plugged in anyway (it'll power on for about 30 seconds without being plugged in).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 27, 2015

• Locked thread