Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

MurderBot posted:

That may be true, but depending on where you live, there are TONS of nursing positions open.

Come to Pittsburgh. You can get a job if you have a pulse - except all the jobs are lovely with correspondingly low pay. Want to quit? Fine there are 100000 chumps in line behind you from the 12+ nursing schools in the area. It's time to move.

Annath posted:

Hey so what does an aspiring new grad nurse wear to an interview? Like slacks and a polo/button down shirt, or suit and tie?
*dude nurse, if it matters

A suit. Keep it plain.

Hughmoris posted:

8 months ago I left the ICU to take a nursing informatics position. I'm finding I kind of miss the chaos. :smith:

Stockholm syndrome.

Bum the Sad posted:

poo poo is way way more complicated and I realized how much basic physiology and pharmacology nurses are never taught

I just finished up interviews at OSHU and the University of Pittsburgh. Georgetown is next week. I rocked the interviews so I anticipate starting in August somewhere. OHSU would be great but also $$$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Etrips posted:

Really? Lucky you. We had instructors rotating EVERY week.

Same instructors going on a year although next semester mixes the semester up into 3 *5 week mini semesters, each 5 weeks are with a different prof.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey so I found these pharmacology flashcards. Maybe they'll be of use to some of you.

http://allnurses.com/nursing-student-assistance/pharmacology-flashcards-595483.html

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Holy poo poo, just got an interview email for OHSU for their accelerated BSN. I'm in shock because I heard emails went out almost two weeks ago, so I figured I wouldn't get one. I'm pretty nervous to interview because I know I'm not their ideal candidate in person. I don't have professional healthcare experience, and although I really want to be a nurse because I want to work with patients and families, it's also partially a pragmatic career choice. Any tips on group admissions interviews? Never done a group interview for a job, just a panel. There's a proctored essay as well.

Need to figure out if I can make it work with my work schedule, financially (because flights a week and a half out are always a bargain), and with a midterm I have due. I want to go because I still haven't heard back from my safety local school and don't want to regret it if I don't get in here, but it's terrifying to think there's even a small chance I could be uprooting my family to move in two months.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Iron Lung posted:

although I really want to be a nurse because I want to work with patients and families

Oh my sweet summer child.

(Good luck and congrats!)

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Haha thanks Old NanFuego. I was half practicing my answers. I'm actually leaning towards not going, my wife and I talked and I don't know if either of us is really ready to uproot and move in less than 2 months. She just got a really good job locally, which means I won't have to work much or at all during school, so if I don't get in this coming summer semester I just have to bust rear end to get in somewhere for the fall. Ugh, being a grownup and making fiscally and mentally sound decisions sucks, I wish we were 3-4 years younger, it'd be easier just to split and go!

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009

Iron Lung posted:

Haha thanks Old NanFuego. I was half practicing my answers. I'm actually leaning towards not going, my wife and I talked and I don't know if either of us is really ready to uproot and move in less than 2 months. She just got a really good job locally, which means I won't have to work much or at all during school, so if I don't get in this coming summer semester I just have to bust rear end to get in somewhere for the fall. Ugh, being a grownup and making fiscally and mentally sound decisions sucks, I wish we were 3-4 years younger, it'd be easier just to split and go!

OSHU has a great reputation, but undergrad is undergrad and there is without a doubt a sufficient, cheaper nursing school that will do you right in your area. The rest is up to your experience. If you really want to get into the material deep, you can definitely do that on your ownsome.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

The first anesthesia acceptance call came in today. I'm anticipating two more and then it's time to make a decision! I'm pretty stoked to start.

Dirp
May 16, 2007

ThirstyBuck posted:

The first anesthesia acceptance call came in today. I'm anticipating two more and then it's time to make a decision! I'm pretty stoked to start.

Can you go more into detail on what your credentials were when you applied and what the interviews were like? I'm only 7 months into working in a MICU at a large fancy teaching hospital but I'm looking to go back to CRNA school as soon as I can.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

ThirstyBuck posted:

Congrats brother. I'm a second semester SRNA/RRNA. I don't know of any other students or graduates on the board though.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Ugh, I studied my rear end off (compared to my usual habits) for my first test this semester, and my efforts earned me literally the lowest grade I've received in the entire program (68)... Made all the worse because the vast majority of my classmates did really well ...

Now I'm seriously worried about the next test (next Wednesday), because I pretty much have to do decent-to-well on it and the other 2 unit tests plus final.

I really wanted to do well on the first test, to start the semester off confident, but the exact opposite occurred.

I reviewed the test with one of the teachers, but that was an exercise in frustration because she couldn't explain most of the questions I asked about since she didn't teach the unit or write the test. (we are required to do test review with our advisor, who while they teach the class doesn't necessarily mean they taught a particular unit. They alternate teaching units and writing the associated tests)

So now I'm kind of panicking over neurology and loving skin poo poo.

I absolutely cannot fail in my last semester! I registered for graduation! I ordered my pin! :shepicide:

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Annath posted:

Ugh, I studied my rear end off (compared to my usual habits) for my first test this semester, and my efforts earned me literally the lowest grade I've received in the entire program (68)... Made all the worse because the vast majority of my classmates did really well ...

Now I'm seriously worried about the next test (next Wednesday), because I pretty much have to do decent-to-well on it and the other 2 unit tests plus final.

I really wanted to do well on the first test, to start the semester off confident, but the exact opposite occurred.

I reviewed the test with one of the teachers, but that was an exercise in frustration because she couldn't explain most of the questions I asked about since she didn't teach the unit or write the test. (we are required to do test review with our advisor, who while they teach the class doesn't necessarily mean they taught a particular unit. They alternate teaching units and writing the associated tests)

So now I'm kind of panicking over neurology and loving skin poo poo.

I absolutely cannot fail in my last semester! I registered for graduation! I ordered my pin! :shepicide:

Yeah I failed the first two tests this semester the second one was a 68 luckily they drop the lowest exam if you pass the final. But failing the other one with a 76? Come on.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

White Chocolate posted:

Yeah I failed the first two tests this semester the second one was a 68 luckily they drop the lowest exam if you pass the final. But failing the other one with a 76? Come on.

Yeah they don't drop anything. They would probably laugh at me for even asking about something like that.

I mean, they were content to have 14/40 students fail last semester solely based on the final exam until the student government threatened to go to the ACEN accreditors (who stopped by earlier this month) at which point "controversial" questions were dropped from the final, boosting people's grades so only 6 people failed.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Nurse & Nursing School Megathread: You are dumb.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Nurse & Nursing School Megathread: your doumb

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So I just got an email asking me to call on Wed and(?) Friday to set up a phone interview for next week!!

I've never had an in-person interview for a Big Boy(TM) job before, much less a phone interview.

What is the tone for this? Is it just like an in-person interview, but electronic? Is it more laid back? More intense? Do I come prepared the same way as I would for an in-person?

HALP.GIF

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
All the phone interviews for (non healthcare) jobs I've had are pretty much a mini-interview with pared down basic interview questions. They want to make sure you can communicate, and know what the job is all about. They might ask some behavior based questions as well. It's basically to screen you to make sure you're not an absolute waste of time for the interviewers. Prepare for it accordingly, but don't worry about it too much, you'll probably be fine. Best "tip" I have that helped me a lot is to stand up, and smile. Sounds weird but it worked!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 19, 2016

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Yeah yeah reddit and all that, but this had a bunch of questions that were asked when I had my interview(s).

http://www.reddit.com/r/nursing/comments/1la1u2/guide_to_a_nursing_job_interview/

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

EHR CHAT!

Cerner - sucks so bad
McKesson - sucks less
Epic - sucks least

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

djfooboo posted:

EHR CHAT!

Cerner - sucks so bad
McKesson - sucks less
Epic - sucks least

I started on the floor with paper orders, paper MARs, paper 24 hr flowsheets, hand counted narc carts. The addition of EHR has been mostly taxing.

The Pixys/Omnicell change made sense, and it/they did make life a little easier...when it/they worked.

Epic is the first thing I've seen that is an actual improvement over the old system. It saves me time in every case over its predecessor (ORMIS).

Battered Cankles fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 4, 2015

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
MEDITECH #1!!!!!!1

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

djfooboo posted:

EHR CHAT!

Cerner - sucks so bad
McKesson - sucks less
Epic - sucks least

Cerner sucks more than McKesson? Ain't sure that's possible.

Anyone have any Allscripts experience? Where does it rate on djfooboo's Suck chart?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 4, 2015

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I like sunrise, don't like cerner.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Xpost from the Butt Stuff Thread

Annath posted:

I am in the process of applying for a new grad job with VCU Health Systems.

I've been told by a classmate, who works for them as a CNA, and is also applying as a new grad, that VCU will take interested new grads to the ICU because it's easier to teach a new grad than retrain a more experienced nurse.

Assuming that they are interested, and of course understand that I'm a new grad, what would you folks suggest as far as jumping head first into the ICU?

Long term I am planning on getting my DNP/working as an NP, if that has any bearing.

Lava Lamp
Sep 18, 2007
banana phone
Meditech by a long shot.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Annath posted:

Xpost from the Butt Stuff Thread

You will hear different things from different people as to whether or not you need some basic floor nursing experience before going to ICU. It also varies by hospital.

My personal experience is that I worked on non critical care units before going to ICU and I'm really glad I did. It's nice to get to know how to survive at that particular hospital and as an independent nurse before going to ICU. Getting some experience and confidence to handle it by yourself when things aren't going right is a huge benefit. It's also good to know things like charting, documentation, protocols, policies, doctor's names, supplies, how to navigate the hospital, etc., before going to ICU, that way you can focus on learning how to be a good ICU nurse instead of the little stuff like what phone number to call for the pharmacy. Some people will argue that you can learn it all at the same time, but I'm glad I knew all the piddly things beforehand.

FWIW, you can be hired into the ICU (or any job, for that matter), but until you pass orientation, you're not guaranteed the job. If you don't pass orientation, the hospital will usually try to find you a job in a non critical care setting.

The "it's easier to teach a new grad than retrain an experienced nurse" seems a little suspect. Easier for who?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Easier for whoever is doing the teaching, presumably.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
We have a stepdown nurse who's come to icu, her patient was 68/39 and asked me to get the bladder scanner because the patient wasn't making any urine. No poo poo, her kidneys aren't being perfused (subtext:", idiot"). I'm tired of babysitting this nurse. I don't think i knocked any sense into her but at least she took my direction that the BP was the loving priority.

She and others have tired me out enough that I'm not going to write up a big post about how to transition from new grad to icu nurse well yet.

My only advice is know everything and don't panic. Seriously.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Roki B posted:

We have a stepdown nurse who's come to icu, her patient was 68/39 and asked me to get the bladder scanner because the patient wasn't making any urine.

Holy poo poo :lol:

I think working in ICU would be really interesting, but I wouldn't want to even think about doing it until I have several years' experience as a nurse.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
1.) Don't be a complete retard
2.) Ask questions if you're not sure about something
3.) Learn from mistakes if #1 and #2 fail you

Congratulations you have successfully transitioned from new grad to the wonderful world of ICU nursing.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Dirp posted:

Can you go more into detail on what your credentials were when you applied and what the interviews were like? I'm only 7 months into working in a MICU at a large fancy teaching hospital but I'm looking to go back to CRNA school as soon as I can.

My CV is fairly unconventional as I'm doing this as a second career so it was not your typical CRNA application. That said, my background includes education, research, and teaching in academia, several degrees, all GPAs >3.6, several long research papers, and about 2.5-3 yrs ICU experience, community volunteering, and actively involved in hospital policy development. I moved from a MICU to a STICU.

I would suggest you get into something surgical or a CTICU for better experience. It's one step closer to the OR and that is ultimately where your job will be should you decide to pursue it. I didn't realize until last week, but only about 1% of nurses become nurse anesthetists.

A patient was brought up to my unit this week and it as the first time I saw a CRNA even remotely flustered; during the surgery she gave 30 PRBCs and about the same in various crystalloids. The blood bank ( at a level I trauma hospital) ran out of products for the guy. I got to fire up the Stage I rapid infuser, which I had not used before at my new job. Of course once he got up to the unit we immediately scanned him and determined that he had diffuse DAI. All for nought.

Interview-wise, just enter the cesspool of all nurses.com or nurse anesthesia .org for interview info. They are all mostly the same and lots of questions are posted there.From my own experience and in very gross terms, you need to demonstrate 3 things: why you want to be a crna (easy) 2: why they need you in their program (harder) and 3: an encyclopedic knowledge of critical care techniques and pharmacology (hardest).

I feel that the schools perhaps scrutinized and pushed me a little harder during my interviews because of my non-medical background. I basically spurged on about ventilator modes, vasopressors, sedation, and adrenergic antagonists until they told me to shut up. YMMV and I'm just one person.

Bum the Sad posted:

Congrats brother. I'm a second semester SRNA/RRNA. I don't know of any other students or graduates on the board though.

Thanks. I have not come across anyone else here either. Where are you going? I Interviewed at Georgetown, OHSU, Pitt, and Laroche. I'm starting at Pitt in the fall so it is the best of all possible choice for me as I do not need to move across the country, or to DC, and my wife gets to keep her job that she loves. I would have loved to have gone to Portland though and gotten away from the weather here. I can do that later.

end mill facade posted:

Epic is the first thing I've seen that is an actual improvement over the old system....

I've never had to use paper but I think cerner is the worst. That there is no integration between labs and the rest of the EMAR is my main beef. It is slow as hell and goes down frequently.

Koivunen posted:

You will hear different things from different people...

Do whatever you want to do. I started in the ICU because I had no interest in working on the floor. At my last job I would pickup OT on the floor when I got desperate. It was fine but I was bored when I did it. The ICU is not for everyone. Why do you want to work there?

E: added content

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 5, 2015

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
My wife's NCLEX is this Monday so I've been avoiding the house.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Texas boy here Thirstybuck

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 19, 2016

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

What's your guys favorite apps whether for studying for school, working, NCLEX, or all of the above?

Why do you follow me around everywheeereeeeeeeee.

NCLEX RN was pretty decent for a mobile app, tons of questions with fairly decent rationales.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Sorry for double posting, but I thought of something I wanted to ask that I did not want to get missed since we are talking about CRNA school.

When applying for schools, what type of ICU settings would be the best to gain experience in other than CTICU or STICU? What am I looking for specifically? How did you all know you wanted to be a CRNA? I know one option would be to shadow one which I did do during one clinical week when I was actually supposed to be following the OR nurse around, and I found it absolutely fascinating. But at the same time it is a huge commitment to venture down that road, and I would hate my life if I ended up hating it at the end.

I suppose it is time to hang out at allnurses (shudder) and anesthesia.org

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I knew I wanted to be one when I learned I could make $200k a year.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I'd do that poo poo for the same pay. Making people unconscious is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Yo. Not to mention the benefit of strictly working above the waist.