Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
So after the past week of using my new 3ds with it working in perfect order, i find out tonight that its suddenly a pain to move the c stick down. I know some people have had this happen at launch but has anyone else had their c stick go bad after using it? And is there anything I can do besides contact support/pray it fixes itself overnight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

I hear wearing latex gloves while playing helps

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bombadilillo posted:

I want a Layton game. Should I get that or Phonies vs Layton?

Phoenix vs. Layton is a really easy game by the standards of both franchises. Get it if you're a fan of both and lots of talking. It has way less puzzles and side stuff than even the first DS Layton and the courtroom stuff is less satisfying than most Phoenix games.

Miracle Mask has a lot of side stuff and a good story, there's just one part that is infuriating. Also the first game in the second trilogy is good too (Last Spectre).

Plot-wise the last game of the first trilogy (Unwound Future) is the best and doesn't really require playing the first two. Honestly though I'd start with the first Layton game and see if you like it because they generally get better and more feature rich with every entry.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Miracle Mask's story is good? Well now, sir, I guess we'll have to disagree there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm struggling through Specter. I flew through the first three but Spectre isn't doing it for me.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Is anyone else experiencing SD Card errors? When I leave the n3DS in sleep mode for a while and then come back and start a game, I almost always get the black screen saying the SD card was removed. Rebooting the n3DS resolves the error. I get this two or three times a day. I tried reseating the card, to no effect.

I'm using this SD card:

Before calling Nintendo, I'm going to try using the included 4GB card and ruling out my microSD as a source of error. Is transferring the data between cards for the same console as simple as 'copy *.*'?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

IRSmurf posted:

Is anyone else experiencing SD Card errors? When I leave the n3DS in sleep mode for a while and then come back and start a game, I almost always get the black screen saying the SD card was removed. Rebooting the n3DS resolves the error. I get this two or three times a day. I tried reseating the card, to no effect.

I'm using this SD card:

Before calling Nintendo, I'm going to try using the included 4GB card and ruling out my microSD as a source of error. Is transferring the data between cards for the same console as simple as 'copy *.*'?

Yes, you can copy between the two MicroSD cards for the same system.

Where'd you get your allegedly faulty card? Was it from Amazon? Direct from Amazon?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

IRSmurf posted:

I'm using this SD card:

I had this happening with a micro-sd in an adapter for awhile in an old model 3ds. I eventually copied the entire contents of the card to my PC, reformatted the card, copied it all back and it's been fine since, though I don't know if such an extreme solution was actually necessary.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yes, you can copy between the two MicroSD cards for the same system.

Where'd you get your allegedly faulty card? Was it from Amazon? Direct from Amazon?

Good to know. I ordered it from B&H in December '12. It's been in my Surface Pro 1 and SP3, working flawlessly prior to moving it to the n3DS.

13/f/cali posted:

I had this happening with a micro-sd in an adapter for awhile in an old model 3ds. I eventually copied the entire contents of the card to my PC, reformatted the card, copied it all back and it's been fine since, though I don't know if such an extreme solution was actually necessary.

I'll try that before swapping the cards.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

precision posted:

The Law of Inverse Quality is making me question: is Gunman Clive really that good for a three dollar game? I mean on the eShop a $3 game is like the equivalent of a F2P game on any other platform.
Gunman Clive is good. Gunman Clive 2 is not as good, but still worth the price. Just don't do what I did in 2 and play Bob first. He suffers a lot from being a melee character in a game designed for having a gun. I started a new game on Hard with Ms. Johnson and it's easier than Normal with Bob, so there's that.

So if you like action platforming, get them. I mean, buying both will cost you $5 in total. I can assure you you've spent more money on worse games in the past.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

How dumb is cutting apart the game cart cases to get those little cart holders out and super gluing them to the back of my nu3dsm, My girlfriend shouted at me "What are you doing!?" over and over then ripped the thing out of my hands getting krazy glue everywhere. was it really that bad of an idea?

This sounds like a dumbass life hack, yeah

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Turtlicious posted:

How dumb is cutting apart the game cart cases to get those little cart holders out and super gluing them to the back of my nu3dsm, My girlfriend shouted at me "What are you doing!?" over and over then ripped the thing out of my hands getting krazy glue everywhere. was it really that bad of an idea?

lmao what the gently caress just get a fuckin case weirdo

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Turtlicious posted:

Source your quotes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Volt Catfish posted:

Miracle Mask's story is good? Well now, sir, I guess we'll have to disagree there.

Well, it has good elements. Unwound Future is probably the only Layton game with a truly "good story" but I liked Emmy's stuff in Miracle Mask and seeing Young Layton was cool.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

club nintendo code for smash bros. I'll take a Smash Bros. soundtrack if this code gets someone it or nothing at all.

PG(nine)(five)(nine)(four)W(seven)QF(six)(nine)GR

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

glassyalabolas posted:

club nintendo code for smash bros. I'll take a Smash Bros. soundtrack if this code gets someone it or nothing at all.

PG(nine)(five)(nine)(four)W(seven)QF(six)(nine)GR

Someone already took this.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Played more ironfall multiplayer last night. Grenade launcher is quickly becoming weapon of choice on the demo map. It's hilariously over and under powered at the same time. It can kill in one shot, but the splash area for damage seems pretty small, so it rarely one shots.

Also all the noobs who jump right into mp having never played make for easy fodder.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Turtlicious posted:

That is probably the worst possible way to store your game cards except for putting them in your rear end or something

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Chrono Trigger was delivered last night. Starting it this morning. :getin:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Quincytbb posted:

So after the past week of using my new 3ds with it working in perfect order, i find out tonight that its suddenly a pain to move the c stick down. I know some people have had this happen at launch but has anyone else had their c stick go bad after using it? And is there anything I can do besides contact support/pray it fixes itself overnight?

it's apparently a pretty common defect, probably best you contact nintendo and take advantage of your manufacturer's warranty now

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

eightysixed posted:

Chrono Trigger was delivered last night. Starting it this morning. :getin:

Game's pretty over rated. It's not terrible or anything but it certainly isn't the best of the snes era RPGs.

Secret of Mana, Ogre Battle, and Final Fantasy 6 were all better games.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 27, 2015

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Double post

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I have the DS version of Chrono Trigger, and I think the text is too small. Next time I wanna play it, I might buy the PSP version and deal with the loading just so I don't go blind.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

The love/hate thing in this thread over Chrono Trigger is weird. It was only $25 bucks, and from what I gather, it should be at least worth that. Goon advice never agrees :(

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I would kill for a remake of SoM - give it a fresh coat of paint and add a couple bonus dungeons or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

eightysixed posted:

The love/hate thing in this thread over Chrono Trigger is weird. It was only $25 bucks, and from what I gather, it should be at least worth that. Goon advice never agrees :(

Chrono Trigger is a firmly "pretty good" JRPG that a lot of people have a weird irrational love for that transcends anything about actually playing the game and probably involves having played it as a child, much like my irrational love for FF4 (but at least I admit that's irrational).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Chrono Trigger is great but there are tons of weirdos super obsessed with it and make it out to be the greatest thing to happen to mankind since sliced bread. It's definitely worth playing, but not obsessing about.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Is there anything noteworthy about Ironfall other than being on the 3DS? It looks like any number of generic third-person shooters I might have played on a smartphone.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

eightysixed posted:

It is a solid good RPG.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Chrono Trigger is one of the few instances where Squares absolute best talent got to work together and create one of the JRPG greats.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It should be a 100% opinion that Chrono Trigger is great. People who don't like it probably don't like video games in general? Like, i'm really not saying that to be a smartass, but Chrono Trigger is perfect and just something you really can't disagree on.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Healbot posted:

Chrono Trigger is one of the few instances where Squares absolute best talent got to work together and create one of the JRPG greats.

On the other hand, didn't that same talent go on to do Blue Dragon like 12 years later and that game was kinda mediocre at best? I vaguely remember that game having advertising pushing the reuniting of the Chrono Trigger team but I might be imagining that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm struggling through Specter. I flew through the first three but Spectre isn't doing it for me.

It's by far the worst Layton game so don't feel bad.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

quote:

The game contains thirteen unique endings

:aaaaa:

Also, i dunno, I thought FF7 and FF9 were the best in the series - so we'll see how this goes. At least I'll be able to give an educated opinion one way or the other soon enough, next time someone else new buys this.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Healbot posted:

Not just Square's best talent, Enix's too. And this was before the merger even.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So is Majora's Mask hard to find right now or something?

I looked online to see if my local Best Buy had it's showing that no stores have it in stock. You can't even enter your zip code, it's just showing in-store purchase/pickup isn't available.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I said come in! posted:

It should be a 100% opinion that Chrono Trigger is great. People who don't like it probably don't like video games in general? Like, i'm really not saying that to be a smartass, but Chrono Trigger is perfect and just something you really can't disagree on.

i disagree

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Chrono Trigger flows really well, the nonrandom encounters are great, the battle system is simple, engaging and intuitive, the music is perfect, and there's a decent amount of personality conveyed through the dialogue and nonverbal stuff (like how monsters are often hanging out and doing stuff when you come across them). The settings are mixed up pretty frequently and they're always pretty interesting, which is important because "a tour of cool places" is a big part of the appeal of jrpg for a lot of people.

There's no one part that's truly groundbreaking, but if the aesthetic clicks with you it's very easy to like because there's nothing really dragging it down. It's a fun game that doesn't waste your time or overstay its welcome, which I can't really say of many other good jrpgs, even the ones that I really like.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 27, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Handsome Ralph posted:

So is Majora's Mask hard to find right now or something?

I looked online to see if my local Best Buy had it's showing that no stores have it in stock. You can't even enter your zip code, it's just showing in-store purchase/pickup isn't available.

It's out of print because Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Game's pretty over rated. It's not terrible or anything but it certainly isn't the best of the snes era RPGs.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh???????????????????????? secret of evermore missing from list???????