Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MJBuddy posted:

I wouldn't quite take that assertion for granted. Outside of the 2000-2001 recession, they're very correlated.

http://vanguardblog.com/2013/01/10/reits-a-word-of-caution/

I'm not saying REITs aren't good options for people, but they're not a functional replacement for bonds. They're much more correlated to stocks than bonds, and much more likely to be positive in that correlation.

It may just depend on which types of REITs you're buying, of course, but you didn't provide those details so I'm just responding in the general sense.

Yup REITs have a strong positive correlation to the stock market.

They don't have a perfect 1.00 but they are hardly opposite correlation pull types investments like bonds.

On a side note this is a pretty cool site:
http://www.macroaxis.com/invest/marketCorrelation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gisnep
Mar 29, 2010

nollij posted:

Tried it with Fidelity. No dice through their online account management. I imagine calling them and asking could either get me a "oh yes! We have gotten some requests for that!" Down to "??? What now?"
Why try to imagine what they're going to say, instead of actually calling them? I can't do it with my online account management either, but I still do the mega-backdoor Roth every year.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

MJBuddy posted:

I wouldn't quite take that assertion for granted. Outside of the 2000-2001 recession, they're very correlated.

http://vanguardblog.com/2013/01/10/reits-a-word-of-caution/

I'm not saying REITs aren't good options for people, but they're not a functional replacement for bonds. They're much more correlated to stocks than bonds, and much more likely to be positive in that correlation.

REIT's are not 'very correlated' with the US Stock market. In my mind very correlated is > .9 while REITs have been, since Vanguard started selling a REIT index func in 1997, around .6 which is actually pretty uncorrelated. Not as uncorrelated as bonds, where you can expect a correlation of .2 usually, obviously.

REITs are actually far less correlated with the US Stock Market than Total International. Heck, as far as I can tell, Small Cap Blend (Vanguard Explorer) is approximately as correlated with the total US Stock Market as Total International and provides MUCH better returns.

Personally, I see little value in holding total international (Europe has been far from stable for a very long time now and I don't see it improving at all any time soon) and would rather hold a REIT index for the diversification benefit while still providing solid returns.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 27, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Since VASIX is just made up of underlying Vanguard Investor shares, is there any reason not to just follow a similar percentage breakdown into the underlying funds using Admiral shares when possible? All 4 underlying funds are eligible, though I might not hit the minimum investment for all of them right away.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
No reason at all. The LifeStrategy funds just exist for convenience, basically. If you want to deal with a wee bit of extra hassle to cut your expenses in half, then go for it! The downside is having to rebalance every (however often), maybe once a year. For some people that's an emotionally challenging experience such that they keep freaking out at what the market is doing and changing their allocations all the time. If that's you, you should stick with the single fund.

slap me silly fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 27, 2015

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2015/02/27/2120422/meet-the-man-who-could-own-aviva-france/

Guy owns a life insurance contract that allows him to trade at week old prices. He's won in court several times to keep said contract. On his way to owning the insurance company at his current rates.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 27, 2015

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Dustoph posted:

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2015/02/27/2120422/meet-the-man-who-could-own-aviva-france/

Guy owns a life insurance contract that allows him to trade at week old prices. He's won in court several times to keep said contract. On his way to owning the insurance company at his current rates.

:stare:

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011
So I e-mailed the advisor who was managing my IRA to let her know that I was moving it to Vanguard. She sent me back this article https://www.americanfunds.com/advisor/insights/investment-insights/expect-more-from-your-investments.html and told me she was mailing me a bunch of Morningstar reports and wanted me to come in so she could explain them to me.

Frankly that article reads like a disingenuous marketing pamphlet. Sure mister used car salesman tell me about how cars you sell are better than other cars... Maybe I'm just a cynic but I'm tempted to e-mail her again saying I'm perfectly capable of "actively managing" my funds through diversifying, dollar cost averaging, re-balancing and not going nutso when the ticker moves up or down. Do I need a reality check, maybe I'm just barking into the echo chamber.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Crimpanzee posted:

So I e-mailed the advisor who was managing my IRA to let her know that I was moving it to Vanguard. She sent me back this article https://www.americanfunds.com/advisor/insights/investment-insights/expect-more-from-your-investments.html and told me she was mailing me a bunch of Morningstar reports and wanted me to come in so she could explain them to me.

Frankly that article reads like a disingenuous marketing pamphlet. Sure mister used car salesman tell me about how cars you sell are better than other cars... Maybe I'm just a cynic but I'm tempted to e-mail her again saying I'm perfectly capable of "actively managing" my funds through diversifying, dollar cost averaging, re-balancing and not going nutso when the ticker moves up or down. Do I need a reality check, maybe I'm just barking into the echo chamber.
There are two echo chambers at odds. Logical research and investing for smart people, and sales people for the rest.

Stick with your gut. Pull your money out and if she gives you a hard time, she's violating her duty to you.

gently caress American Funds, their loads are insane and they don't perform better than the S&P500 over the long haul.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Crimpanzee posted:

Send her a copy of A Random Walk down Wall Street and tell her you want her to come over so you can explain it to her.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Crimpanzee posted:

Don't engage with her, just continue the process with Vanguard. At best you'll come out of the meeting annoyed.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Inept posted:

Don't engage with her, just continue the process with Vanguard. At best you'll come out of the meeting annoyed.

This is the true best answer. It is her job to take money from peoples' investing portfolios. If you talk to her she will not admit for a second that you not giving your money to her is anything but a terrible idea.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Crimpanzee posted:

So I e-mailed the advisor who was managing my IRA to let her know that I was moving it to Vanguard.
Is this a thing you're supposed to do? I just pulled all of my money out of American Funds last week and dumped it into Vanguard and never talked to anyone. Should I be calling my American Funds advisor to close the account?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Crimpanzee posted:

She just wants her share of that sweet sweet 6% front load. Sigma's right, she wants you face to face for the hard sell.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is this a thing you're supposed to do? I just pulled all of my money out of American Funds last week and dumped it into Vanguard and never talked to anyone. Should I be calling my American Funds advisor to close the account?

Only if you want to laugh as they beg and plead.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Crimpanzee posted:

She's trying to preserve her completely unjustified commissions using the tools she has at hand. Understandable, but you can safely ignore them. You have no responsibility to justify your decisions to this person, who, after all, has been supposedly working for you and is now no longer working for you. You don't owe her anything.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Nail Rat posted:

Only if you want to laugh as they beg and plead.

He should tell them to come over and present their case, but it must be recorded for edutainment purposes.

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011

Inept posted:

I had already mailed my paperwork to Vanguard before reading this second mail. Her first one was pretty understandable, asking what I was considering investing in and saying her door was always open, it is a business after all. I politely but firmly stated that I was committed and thanked her for her service. This one just seemed so heavy handed, pushing the specific fund family like a pimp shoveling H at a hooker just grossed me out. She won't be hearing from me anymore.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Load fees of any kind are so appalling, and 6% is basically giving up a year's worth of returns, statistically, up front and losing all the possible compounding on it forever. And then they continue to pound your butt with 1%+ annual fees. It's highway robbery and no mathematically sound study has ever proven that expensive, actively-managed funds outperform low-cost, passively-managed funds. If anything it's the opposite.

Scenario 1:
Invest $10,000 in American Funds. Right off the bat your $10,000 is now $9,400. And every year they leech away another 1%+ of your total portfolio in fees.

Scenario 2:
Invest $10,000 with Vanguard or Fidelity. Your $10,000 is still $10,000. You lose 0.05 - 0.2% in fees annually.

The annual growth of scenario 1 would have to outperform the growth of scenario 2 by such a vast margin to be worth it. And statistically it will not outperform.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are two booths at the carnival. One is labeled "Hot Dogs for the Well-Informed." Its menu is a bit long and complicated, and there is an automated touch-screen interface you use to order a hot dog: when you place your order, the hot dog is served by a robot. Occasionally, someone walks up and orders a few hot dogs.

The other booth is labeled "Hot Dogs For Idiots". It has a long, long line. Throughout the carnival is advertising for the Hot Dogs for Idiots booth. There is a person behind the counter dressed as a clown. There is only one item on the huge, garishly-painted menu: it just says "HOT DOGS" with no price given.

Whenever someone orders a hot dog from the Hot Dogs for Idiots booth, an employee slips out the back, goes over to the Hot Dogs for the Well Informed booth, and rapidly orders a hot dog. They bring it back to the Hot Dogs for Idiots booth, and then the clown charges the customer whatever was just paid for the Well-Informed dog, plus a dollar.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Dustoph posted:

Can he make a hedge fund, assign the contract, get outside investors and charge them 5 and 50 on this investment?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Trigger warning your clown reference yo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh my god the thread title. Awesome.

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011

I've spent my grocery budget for February but I absolutely must pick up some sausage and sauerkraut on my way home now, thanks a lot! I guess I'll just head on over to the bad with money thread.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Leperflesh posted:

You did this!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Fantastic.

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cs5O0PEnYs

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

crazypeltast52 posted:

Can he make a hedge fund, assign the contract, get outside investors and charge them 5 and 50 on this investment?

Nah, it only scales until the insurance company goes bankrupt. The government of France may step in at that point, but the party is over.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

I love it, finally a worthy replacement for the Robert Boggle title.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

flowinprose posted:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

flowinprose posted:

My little baby finally grew up :unsmith:

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Murgos posted:

REIT's are not 'very correlated' with the US Stock market. In my mind very correlated is > .9 while REITs have been, since Vanguard started selling a REIT index func in 1997, around .6 which is actually pretty uncorrelated. Not as uncorrelated as bonds, where you can expect a correlation of .2 usually, obviously.

REITs are actually far less correlated with the US Stock Market than Total International. Heck, as far as I can tell, Small Cap Blend (Vanguard Explorer) is approximately as correlated with the total US Stock Market as Total International and provides MUCH better returns.

Personally, I see little value in holding total international (Europe has been far from stable for a very long time now and I don't see it improving at all any time soon) and would rather hold a REIT index for the diversification benefit while still providing solid returns.

Having a standard of .9 basically implies that the only think correlated with stocks is stocks.

.6 is also not pretty uncorrelated. 0 is uncorrelated. .6 is a published paper in economics.

But my point doesn't disagree with that there's some variation from stocks; I'm just stating that if you have a complete portfolio, REITs take the place of stocks in risk management, not bonds.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot
This is from a page back, but I can't let this float out there.

Leperflesh posted:

See limitations, though. You need to be careful about exactly how you use the primary & secondary homes in order to retain the deduction. Consult a tax advisor.

The main thing is that if you want to deduct mortgage interest as a cost against your earnings, you need to file a schedule C... e.g., you are operating a business. You don't deduct on Schedule A like you would for your primary residence.

I did not mean to say that you definitely could not deduct mortgage interest if you rent; only that it's not a certainty that you can, unless you conform to the various rules.

I do not understand. In what way are property taxes or maintenance costs lower for a home you own outright vs. a home with a mortgage? In the US, as far as I know, all properties are taxed based on an assessed value, and this is not affected by a mortgage. A building's maintenance costs are a factor of its condition, age, materials, local labor prices, etc. and are not affected by the existence of a mortgage or lien.

Since this is sort of a newbie thread, please do not give out horrifyingly false information re: investment properties. It's not just this post, but pretty much every other post you made regarding rental real estate. You seem to know a lot about equity based investments, but don't let in depth knowledge of one subject confuse yourself into being an expert in an unrelated one. That link you provided is on the level of an ask.com article in terms of its depth and accuracy, I can understand why you think you're qualified to give an opinion if all you read is that stuff.

For one, it's a schedule E item in most cases, not schedule C (Sch C real estate will very rarely apply to a person renting out a single property that they own). As a tax payer, you don't want Schedule A deductions, they're the worst loving ones. You lose all value of the first $6,200 (if single 12,400 if married). Any deductions on Sch E you get the full benefit of. Now, the worry is the passive activity loss limitation on Schedule E. Are you limited in the losses you can take? Maybe, but probably not. Even if you are limited, the losses will carryforward to future tax years. The exemption is pretty forgiving and if you're actually managing your property, or if you carefully word your contract with a management company you'll be covered. Basically anything covered by the below removes the passive activity loss limit.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040se.pdf

IRS Sch E Instructions posted:

Active participation. You can meet the
active participation requirement without
regular, continuous, and substantial involvement
in real estate activities. But
you must have participated in making
management decisions or arranging for
others to provide services (such as repairs)
in a significant and bona fide
sense. Such management decisions include:
Approving new tenants,
Deciding on rental terms,
Approving capital or repair expenditures,
and
Other similar decisions.
You are not considered to actively
participate if, at any time during the tax
year, your interest (including your spouse's
interest) in the activity was less than
10% by value of all interests in the activity.
If you are a limited partner, you
are also not treated as actively participating
in a partnership's rental real estate
activities.

The main goal of course is to not have actual cash loses, but tax loses.

Thanks for others for calling LeperFlesh out for incorrect information. If you have an itch to look into rental real estate, we have a thread for that. It's full of full time and part time landlords that actually have experience. Posts get answered pretty quickly unless I'm the one slacking in my response. Need to go solve that right now.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548312

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Bloody Queef posted:

The exemption is pretty forgiving and if you're actually managing your property, or if you carefully word your contract with a management company you'll be covered. Basically anything covered by the below removes the passive activity loss limit.

The passive activity loss exception is only "pretty forgiving" if your MAGI is below 100k-150k. If you make more money than that, you have to basically be a real estate professional to qualify. Also, it is limited to $25,000 even if you make little enough money to get it.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/passive-activity-loss-pal-rules-irs-limits-deducting-passive-losses.html

Bloody Queef posted:

Since this is sort of a newbie thread, please do not give out horrifyingly false information re: investment properties.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

On a more random note many complaints with 401k plans can be fixed if your plan has a self-directed option:

For Fidelity the gimmicky name is brokeragelink as shown below:

Basically allows you to use money from your company plan to buy just about every stock under the sun including Vanguard investments.

For Brokeragelink it's a fairly good commission schedules, ishares/fidelity are free, $8.95 flat rate for other stocks and ETFs.

The commission fee is fairly large for mutual funds at $75 per trade, so it's only cost efficient if you want to move a large lump sum
over to the Target Retirement date fund.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Droo posted:

The passive activity loss exception is only "pretty forgiving" if your MAGI is below 100k-150k. If you make more money than that, you have to basically be a real estate professional to qualify. Also, it is limited to $25,000 even if you make little enough money to get it.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/passive-activity-loss-pal-rules-irs-limits-deducting-passive-losses.html

Your article doesn't contradict any of the things he said.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Droo posted:

You're right, I should have provided more specificity. Either way, the carry forward of the passive activity loss should do you right.

Also someone married making 150 MAGI after fully funding 401ks, HSAs, health insurance, etc will be well over 200k pretax salary. I wouldn't exactly call that "so little" and that income level is slightly beyond the scope of this thread.

Bloody Queef fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 28, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

etalian posted:

On a more random note many complaints with 401k plans can be fixed if your plan has a self-directed option:

For Fidelity the gimmicky name is brokeragelink as shown below:

:(

But at least I've got a few good Spartan Index funds available with ERs in the 0.07% to 0.21% range.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

MJBuddy posted:

Having a standard of .9 basically implies that the only think correlated with stocks is stocks.

.6 is also not pretty uncorrelated. 0 is uncorrelated. .6 is a published paper in economics.

But my point doesn't disagree with that there's some variation from stocks; I'm just stating that if you have a complete portfolio, REITs take the place of stocks in risk management, not bonds.

Yeah, I'll agree to disagree completely with you. :) With regards to correlating autism to eating peanut butter, a 0.6 would in fact be a very high correlation that I'd worry about. When you're talking about financial numbers with an infinite number of variables, 0.6 is not highly correlated. http://sites.stat.psu.edu/~jls/stat100/lectures/lec16.pdf for reference. As a statistical note, yes, 0.5 is generally accepted a "high" correlation, but its just a shade of grey above "weak" correlation, and again---you have to meter in the context of the variables under discussion. Don't care to discuss it all too much more on my end, I already stated that the increased risk of importing REITS in lieu of bonds in my portfolio was a known risk increase, and I know its not for everyone. I'm surprised my derail even started when I qualified the discussion with 'I'm just an average joe'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Guinness posted:

:(

But at least I've got a few good Spartan Index funds available with ERs in the 0.07% to 0.21% range.

The Spartan funds are good options, problems is most 401k plans don't offer low ER good foreign stock investments.

Usually it's lovely things like high expense ratio Oakmark funds or high cost REIT funds.