Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Snow lands have to be the stupidest mechanical idea ever. It checks nothing other than "did you spend a bunch of extra money on your lands".

Snow lands is a viable tactic in mono-colored EDH decks. It enables things like Strata Scythe without usually helping opponents. I know there are some other interactions, but that's one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Snow lands have to be the stupidest mechanical idea ever. It checks nothing other than "did you spend a bunch of extra money on your lands".
Did you mean to put fetch lands in there or are you seriously imagining when those sets were in print they weren't like 5 cents a snow land?

There's snow way that's a lot of money.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Spiderdrake posted:

Did you mean to put fetch lands in there or are you seriously imagining when those sets were in print they weren't like 5 cents a snow land?

There's snow way that's a lot of money.

Ice can't believe you made that joke.

Snow Swamps are useful in Pauper as well since the best common shade is Chilling Shade. Three mana and flying is pretty nice if you're in the shade business.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Chamale posted:

I was just thinking that if Double Down* were ever printed and saw play in Modern or Legacy, suddenly all the non-Double Down decks would want to play a mix of basics and snow basics, so the price of snow-covered lands would rocket upwards.

* One of the You Make The Card entries. A black enchantment with "Exile two cards with the same name from graveyards: Draw a card."

Modern & Legacy, two formats known for the amount of basic lands that end up in the graveyard.

Double Down was a bad idea anyway, it lets you exile from an opponent's graveyard as a cost and a mirror match would basically be Snap

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What I'm getting at is there's no real disadvantage to running snowlands over basics (outside of a few hatecards that obviously would never see play in eternal formats) so it's just dumb. It could just check for basic lands instead and it would be effectively the same.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

I think Ice Age had a pretty big print run, it was just 2 decades ago.

By the standards of then, yes.

By the standards of now, it's a pretty small run.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
A spell like earthquake is very different when it can redirect to one planeswalker vs if it were templated to hit all planeswalkers, it was kind of relevant when there was a standard format with multiple-pw decks and earthquake effects. It helps keep effects like Bonfire in check/elegant to some extent because would you have it hit all pws that player controlled or none of them or one of them? Magmaquake exists but it's certainly very distinct from bonfire in what it does and is specifically templated thusly.

I think the case with fated conflagration was they didn't want to print it as a lava axe, but did want it to hit pws, and realistically pw's are such a bundle of "please get rules about me" (what does loyalty do, what are the restrictions on using these abilities, how do I get rid of one) in their template as-is that it's not -that- difficult to have some extra baggage tied to the card type if it simplifies burn spell design.

It's probably the least intuitive rule about planeswalkers, but barring cards like fated conflagration where actually letting the spell dome a player would probably be too strong, I don't think there's a downside that burn spells in dome mode effectively read "do x to a player or a planeswalker that player controls".

What I'm getting at is there's no real disadvantage to running snowlands over basics (outside of a few hatecards that obviously would never see play in eternal formats) so it's just dumb. It could just check for basic lands instead and it would be effectively the same.

Dark Depths with Urborg produces snow mana and this wouldn't be covered by cards that care about snow mana or snow permanents.

Never mind that decks that run Dark Depths and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth don't run any cards from the latter set but it might come up at some point!

vvv Also this

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 27, 2015

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

It's primarily a limited mechanic

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

En Fuego posted:

Snow lands is a viable tactic in mono-colored EDH decks. It enables things like Strata Scythe without usually helping opponents. I know there are some other interactions, but that's one.

Extraplanar Lens, as well.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Some more basic details about Magic Origins flavor have been revealed

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

It was basically nothing other than, you will see the planes they are from even though we already knew that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Well, I read two strong possibilities from that article.

They're not far off at all from Return to Zendikar, and there's a good chance we may see landfall back in Origins since there's an emphasis on Zendikar for Nissa.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I thought we knew a bunch of that origns stuff for jace and nissa and chandra

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

forbidden lesbian posted:

I thought we knew a bunch of that origns stuff for jace and nissa and chandra

We've never been to any of their home Planes before (except for Nissa's) so that's new.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

We know literally nothing about Chandra other than she's a hothead who gets bamboozled easily.

I look forward to learning more about the Bestwalker.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I wonder if all the color cards are going to be associated with only their walker. Seems like an interesting design direction to take.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

We've never been to any of their home Planes before (except for Nissa's) so that's new.

cool, i hope it turns out jace is from somewhere we've been, since him deleting his memory is so big and all

Count Bleck posted:

We know literally nothing about Chandra other than she's a hothead who gets bamboozled easily.

Well, I think we know that she ended up burning her village down or something and that ignited her spark

but yeah, she's the best and I'm not just saying that bc of the anime card of her

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

But Tamiyo isn't in this set.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It's not a bad thing or anything but I'm consistently amazed to find out people care at all about the plot or "characters" of their Wizard poker game pieces.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's not a bad thing or anything but I'm consistently amazed to find out people care at all about the plot or "characters" of their Wizard poker game pieces.

I mean people legitimately care about the story of World of Warcraft so I don't know why this is very amazing.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind.

Madmarker posted:

I'm not seeing the connection here.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Madmarker posted:

That's not how you spell Karn

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

it's something to talk about when theres nothing else going on, i don't really know much about the story tbh

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Didn't Nissa first planeswalk to Lorwyn and see the fascist elves? Come on Lorwyn come back to us.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Hellsau posted:

Didn't Nissa first planeswalk to Lorwyn and see the fascist elves? Come on Lorwyn come back to us.

I don't know if that was her first destination, but she has been there and can use black mana for stuff. It would nice to see some Lorwyn stuff back in standard though.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Did they retcon Nissa's spark igniting into being due to the Eldrazi or am I reading it wrong or did I miss something or what

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, I read two strong possibilities from that article.

They're not far off at all from Return to Zendikar, and there's a good chance we may see landfall back in Origins since there's an emphasis on Zendikar for Nissa.

We had bits and pieces of stuff off Zendikar in M15 too. I doubt it means anything noteworthy.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I personally think its gotten much better now that they don't try and feed it to you with cringeworthy full books and just stick to short-stories. They're doing vaguely better resolving it through the cards themselves too. Its just something to keep it interesting and get people speculating how certain events will reflect in cards, etc. We've gotten a good 10 pages of Narset, Planeswalker chat out of the MTG story and that's not even an actually confirmed thing yet.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 27, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Madmarker posted:

you mean Jaya Ballard

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
...Isn't Liliana's plane Innistrad, or is it some other gothic/colonial horror plane?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gensuki posted:

...Isn't Liliana's plane Innistrad, or is it some other gothic/colonial horror plane?

No, Innistrad is Sorin Markov's home-plane.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
On the subject of multiple planeswalkers and redirecting damage to more than one, how does it work with combat damage. If an opponent has two planeswalkers each with 3 loyalty and I attack with 2 unblocked 3/3's, can I redirect 3 to one and 3 to the other? Can I divide up my damage to both if I'm attacking with a single 6/6?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

You don't get to pick and choose where the damage goes with creatures, you either attack the player or a planeswalker they control.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

MiddleEastBeast posted:

On the subject of multiple planeswalkers and redirecting damage to more than one, how does it work with combat damage. If an opponent has two planeswalkers each with 3 loyalty and I attack with 2 unblocked 3/3's, can I redirect 3 to one and 3 to the other? Can I divide up my damage to both if I'm attacking with a single 6/6?

Creatures attack planewalkers outright, with no damage redirection shenanigans. You have to send one dude at each of their planewalkers, and if they have one chump-blocker they get to decide which one to save. Your 6/6 only gets to eat one of them.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I thought Chandra trained under Jaya

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Elyv posted:

You don't get to pick and choose where the damage goes with creatures, you either attack the player or a planeswalker they control.

It's weird, I don't understand why they decided to make combat damage interact completely differently with planeswalkers than non-combat damage when writing the rules. It's no wonder a lot of players don't really get it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Xir posted:

How much life did you gain before he scooped?

I messaged him to ask if he had a way to disrupt it because otherwise I would have unlimited amounts of life gain and mana. I was playing Bob Maher's Crucible Gushbond deck.

Starving Autist posted:

It's weird, I don't understand why they decided to make combat damage interact completely differently with planeswalkers than non-combat damage when writing the rules. It's no wonder a lot of players don't really get it.

Because Lightning Bolt is a spanner in the works for how they want the card to work so they duct taped a solution to it.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 27, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Starving Autist posted:

Because it prevents gotcha stuff like a creature attacking you and "whoop actually it was Jace that gets hit". If they could, they'd have made non combat damage work the same way, with the Walker being targeted by the burn spell instead of the current redirect thing.

Basically the problem is the non combat damage. The combat damage works as intended

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Starving Autist posted:

Because they could rewrite the rules to fix combat to work the way they wanted to, but would have to errata every burn spell that could hit players in existence to hit planeswalkers and they don't do functional errata anymore.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I messaged him to ask if he had a way to disrupt it because otherwise I would have unlimited amounts of life gain and mana. I was playing Bob Maher's Crucible Gushbond deck.

Because Lightning Bolt is a spanner in the works for how they want the card to work so they duct taped a solution to it.

To be honest, just rewriting how new burn spells from that point on would work to say "target creature, player, or planeswalker" would do more to solve the Shock-Bolt problem than 10+ years of a bunch of slightly better shocks

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

To be honest, just rewriting how new burn spells from that point on would work to say "target creature, player, or planeswalker" would do more to solve the Shock-Bolt problem than 10+ years of a bunch of slightly better shocks

Honestly, the existing rule is not hard to understand at all. It takes literally 30 seconds or less of thought to understand how it works.

If someone is invested enough in the game to be playing with Planeswalkers (all of which are Mythics sans the Lorwyn 5), but didn't bother to take those 30 seconds to understand the redirect rule, I say gently caress 'em. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Speaking of confusing rules, I want to make a fun deck that causes constant rules headaches and is confusing for my opponent. I'll be playing Old Fogey, as well as Muraganda Petroglyphs and some cards to make that more confusing: Scarwood Goblins, which has been errata'd to no longer have an ability, Transguild Courier, which no longer has that ability, and Carnivorous Plant, which has an ability that isn't mentioned on the card. What other baffling cards or interactions should I run?

• Locked thread