Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

adhuin posted:

What kind of idiotic webshop forces you to create an account BEFORE browsing their inventory?

Haha, what the gently caress is this, that must be the stupidest thing I've ever seen an internet website do, and that's saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The cliffhanger at the end of episode 2 of dr who and the pirates just made me laugh so hard I nearly threw up.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Little_wh0re posted:

The cliffhanger at the end of episode 2 of dr who and the pirates just made me laugh so hard I nearly threw up.

Why yes.

I am.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ~ELECTRONIC SCREAM~

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Now I can't look at a white-and-gold Dalek from Revelation of the Daleks without thinking in the back of mine "shouldn't that casing be black-and-blue?"

The Internet ruins everything.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Now I can't look at a white-and-gold Dalek from Revelation of the Daleks without thinking in the back of mine "shouldn't that casing be black-and-blue?"

I had no idea what you were talking about so I looked up "shouldn't that be black and blue" and.... this may be the most perplexing and stupid thing I have seen on the Internet in the last 20 years. This is what the 11th Doctor saw when he looked at Jeff's laptop.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

This is what the 11th Doctor saw when he looked at Jeff's laptop.

"Hmm. Maybe I shouldn't save humanity after all. They did have their chance."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It is kind of neat that we essentially saw the birth of a new optical illusion, that doesn't happen every day.

The dress is ugly regardless of color, though.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CobiWann posted:

Now we truly know what the Dalek Civil War was about...

RunAndGun
Apr 30, 2011

Astroman posted:

Now we truly know what the Dalek Civil War was about...

Not only that, now we know the real reason why those early episodes were all in black and white. They knew this day was coming, so they stalled as long as possible. Later, they got complacent, thinking, "nah, that will never happen", and so started making episodes in color. The rest... is history.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I haven't watched anywhere near as much classic who as I would like. Something I've been trying to correct. Until a few days ago I hadn't watched any 7 so I watched his first episode, eh. Then today blitzed through rememberance of the daleks. Which was much more enjoyable. Bad magical bat effects and all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
McCoy's first season has one story I think is really good ("Paradise Towers"), one I think is really bad ("Time and the Rani") and then two that are sort of naff but mostly fine ("Delta and the Bannermen" and "Dragonfire"). His second and third seasons are both really good and have some of the best Doctor Who stories ever; there's two serials that I'd say are a bit weak ("Silver Nemesis" and "Battlefield") but I wouldn't say either of them is particularly terrible (compared to "Time and the Rani", at least).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

paradise towers crew represent :respek:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I have a special place in my heart for Paradise Towers on account of it being the first Who story I ever saw at the tender age of 7.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

McCoy's first season has one story I think is really good ("Paradise Towers"), one I think is really bad ("Time and the Rani") and then two that are sort of naff but mostly fine ("Delta and the Bannermen" and "Dragonfire"). His second and third seasons are both really good and have some of the best Doctor Who stories ever; there's two serials that I'd say are a bit weak ("Silver Nemesis" and "Battlefield") but I wouldn't say either of them is particularly terrible (compared to "Time and the Rani", at least).

Delta and the Bannermen is loving terrible

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I get what they were trying to do with Paradise Towers but at the same time I think a lot of it falls flat. They didn't have a good grip on the darkly humorous 2000 AD style that they were attempting. There's a lot of good stuff in there that I think of the episode as a near miss, and a sign that the show was starting to move in a positive direction again, even though I think the whole thing doesn't work.

Also, I'm unclear on which kangs are best.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I have a special place in my heart for Paradise Towers on account of it being the first Who story I ever saw at the tender age of 7.

I have a special place in my heart for Paradise Towers on account of it being loving incredible

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fungah! posted:

Delta and the Bannermen is loving terrible

Yeah, it's naff, but it's so naff I think it loops round and becomes entertaining again. I used to think it was well and truly awful but I rewatched it recently and, well, I wouldn't necessarily say liked, but certainly enjoyed it a lot more.

I mean, it has a rockabilly-synthpop version of the theme for incidental music, a subplot where a young man nicks and eats alien baby food so he can elope with the alien princess and, most ludicrously of all, presents Wales as an attractive holiday destination. What more do you want?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Random Stranger posted:

I get what they were trying to do with Paradise Towers but at the same time I think a lot of it falls flat. They didn't have a good grip on the darkly humorous 2000 AD style that they were attempting. There's a lot of good stuff in there that I think of the episode as a near miss, and a sign that the show was starting to move in a positive direction again, even though I think the whole thing doesn't work.

It doesn't help that for what is meant to be a dingy tower block falling into disrepair, the whole thing is incredibly brightly lit. But that's JNT's production all over.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Delta and the Bannermen just makes me angry, so angry. At least with Paradise Towers and The Happiness Patrol, the execution is off but the intent is obvious and enough of it works that I can forgive them many of their glaring flaws. Delta is just.... it's not even that it is bad, but that it is INFURIATINGLY bad.

It's like somebody set out to make a story deliberately designed to make me mad - apart from proto-Ace, probably the only good thing to come out of it is this handy gif, which I named nobodylikesdeltaandthebannermen.gif:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

It doesn't help that for what is meant to be a dingy tower block falling into disrepair, the whole thing is incredibly brightly lit. But that's JNT's production all over.

And Mel is completely insane throughout it with her obsession over a rather bland looking hotel pool.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

I have a special place in my heart for Paradise Towers on account of it being loving incredible

I love Paradise Towers.

And I'm always glad for a reason to share gifs of my favourite Doctor Who villain, MECHA LOBSTER:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

DoctorWhat posted:

In terms of "gently caress It, No Shits Given" level ham, Richard Briers (in a double role!) is rivaled only by Graham Cowden.

If in doubt, start at 8:17
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv6hyh_paradise-towers-4-of-4_shortfilms

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

I love Paradise Towers.

And I'm always glad for a reason to share gifs of my favourite Doctor Who villain, MECHA LOBSTER:

I hope MECHA LOBSTER makes a comeback. :allears:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Paradise Towers owns. My mom bought it for me and I'd never even heard of it. It's pretty amazing. It's so specifically a story that would only work in 7's run.

Random Stranger posted:

And Mel is completely insane throughout it with her obsession over a rather bland looking hotel pool.

thexerox123 posted:

These are some of the main things I love about it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

Also, I'm unclear on which kangs are best.

Um, seriously?

Red.

:frogout:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

I thank Big Finish every day for giving Bonnie Langford another chance. I mean...good Lord, I love the classic series, but the late 80's fell into a "dead zone' between practical effects and CGI.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

CobiWann posted:

I thank Big Finish every day for giving Bonnie Langford another chance. I mean...good Lord, I love the classic series, but the late 80's fell into a "dead zone' between practical effects and CGI.

She's mostly wasted it though. Mel is the most generic Who-girl alongside Peri.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Someone should make proto-Ace a real companion with Big Finish, somehow, though. Other than her, I don't remember much about Delta and the Bannermen, probably because I have willfully blocked it from my memory.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

What are some good Mel Big Finish stories? I don't think I've ever heard one. (If I have, I have forgotten it). She never really bugged me on TV. The TV show was so odd while she was on it, it was just par for the course while I watched those stories.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

What are some good Mel Big Finish stories? I don't think I've ever heard one. (If I have, I have forgotten it). She never really bugged me on TV. The TV show was so odd while she was on it, it was just par for the course while I watched those stories.

Red is pretty good, in my opinion. A lot of people like The One Doctor; I don't.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I only just started listening to Red, and episode 1 barely has Mel in it, so I guess she takes on a larger part in the following episodes.

So far in the Big Finish stuff I've heard her in, she's been perfectly fine but never particularly stood out in any way where it felt like she was an integral character/actor needed for the story.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mean, actually, the Mel parts of Red are the parts that I don't particularly care for. The story is pretty obvious middling dystopia in a lot of ways, but what makes it good and not middling, by my metric, is how incredibly well the voice modulation, acting and sound effects do at creating a persona for White Noise. I should listen to portions of it when I want to relieve stress. It really fit the setting they were trying to create.

I'm currently in the middle of the second season of Eighth Doctor Adventures. I really enjoyed Max Warp and I think they're finally starting to write Lucie Miller quite well, so I'm looking forward to Brave New World, which I'm actually listening to right now.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Red is great and I really liked the Unregenerate! and Catch-1782. Too bad she got overshadowed by her unnamed male companion in the second and is mostly sidelined on the third one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's kind of a shame, because Bonnie Langford is actually pretty decent at acting when you give her something to do besides scream, and a computer programmer from the future is a companion idea with potential, but Big Finish writers don't really seem to know what to do with her. It's like they write it for Peri, then cut the fun out of the dialogue, and just run with it from there.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I've looked it up. The only Big Finish story with Mel I've heard is "Flip-Flop" which is an... odd... story. I like it, but it has Problems.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Juggernauts isn't bad, as Mel actually gets to do some computer programming. And the more recent run she had with 6 is pretty good (The Wrong Doctors, Spaceport Fear and... another one. I forget the name of it, it's got The Eminence in it). As a kid I thought Langford was poo poo, but rewatching her stuff as an adult it's pretty clear the problem is she's just given nothing to do.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Red is pretty good, in my opinion. A lot of people like The One Doctor; I don't.

"Red" was written because someone thought it'd be fun to give McCoy a story with loads of "R" sounds in it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Red" was written because someone thought it'd be fun to give McCoy a story with loads of "R" sounds in it.

Sound reasoning, far as I'm concerned.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Sound reasoning, far as I'm concerned.

:bravo: Well played, sir. Well played indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Dark Eyes 4! Finally! :neckbeard:

• Locked thread