Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Management posted:

tim wouldn't even bother negotiating, he would just pull the trigger if he could. the problem is that once Safari does this it would get automatically blocked by all ad-based sites.

just like they block AdBlock now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pseudorandom name posted:

Adblock is an add-on that most users do not install and the ones that do don't click on ads anyway. the cost of detecting and blocking while not hurting your other customers is just not worth it.

if you knew that every single user of a browser blocked your ads (and can't change their browser string) why would you ever serve them any pages? it's trivial to implement, hard to screw up, and punishes the browser vendor for blocking by default.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

wearing a t-shirt of yourself is pretty meta

get this

he does it on national tv

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Management posted:

Adblock is an add-on that most users do not install and the ones that do don't click on ads anyway. the cost of detecting and blocking while not hurting your other customers is just not worth it.

if you knew that every single user of a browser blocked your ads (and can't change their browser string) why would you ever serve them any pages? it's trivial to implement, hard to screw up, and punishes the browser vendor for blocking by default.

they would switch up the advertising methods to integrated inline ads with images served by the same server as the website. ios users are too drat valuable to block.

edit: or they will just push everyone to their app.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 27, 2015

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

the neverending war

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

There are sites that show additional popups and :qq: banners when you use adblock. Which is why adblock now has a :qq: blocker for some sites as well

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

you also gotta block javascript these days

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Share Bear posted:

you also gotta block javascript these days

um

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
can you do adblock on an iphone?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

prefect posted:

yes thru osx/glimmerblocker/internet sharing on a nearby mac

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

graph posted:

get this

he does it on national tv
if I got :10bux: every time someone else bought one I'd probably relax my stance

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Exclusive: Google campus plan would explode the concept of buildings, workspace (renderings)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

prefect posted:

No, Apple forbids third-party web browser implementations and the one they provide isn't (meaningfully) extensible.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

No, Apple forbids third-party web browser implementations and the one they provide isn't (meaningfully) extensible.

mercury browser's adblock works quite well for me.

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

just make os x safari extensions available to ios safari, timb

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

google taking money away from hard working chinese app rating farmers

someone post that, it's hilarious

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3v4rIG8kQA

shut the gently caress up

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

they're literally gonna put themselves in bubbles

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lol just build one 500 acre ball pit and be done with it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ouch; thanks for the info. i was thinking about buying an iphone, but maybe not now

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i feel like i just watched a cult indoctrination video

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

prefect posted:

ouch; thanks for the info. i was thinking about buying an iphone, but maybe not now

uh moron

ufarn
May 30, 2009
this may be the first thing they've managed to create themselves and not run into the ground since chrome

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

not only can you get Chrome for iPhone but Safari is so loving good you won't want it anyway

the only extensions you'll come to rely on are Handoff, iCloud Tabs, iCloud, Reader mode, bookmarks and so on.

also did you not hear about iOS 8 ( or was it in 7?) where they added sharing extensions so you can send all kinds of poo poo to apps through the share button.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

ufarn posted:

this may be the first thing they've managed to create themselves and not run into the ground since chrome

you mean the video about the proposal?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

mobile safari is really bad

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

just like their software explodes the concept of quality, reliability

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ufarn posted:

chome has been thoroughly run into the ground, and honestly a building that's not run into the ground isn't really a building

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

prefect posted:

no, the iPhone is still the least terrible smart phone.

you just get used to the idea that your sole use of the browser on the phone is a google query and the small handful of websites you visit from the results page

its not like the Android browser and/or Chrome are extensible either, you have to install Firefox for Android and AdBlock+ for Firefox for Android

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

you just get used to the idea that your sole use of the browser on the phone is a google query and the small handful of websites you visit from the results page

its not like the Android browser and/or Chrome are extensible either, you have to install Firefox for Android and AdBlock+ for Firefox for Android

the sole use of mobile safari is for ads to hijack your browser and open up the app store. then its a game to see if you can close the offending tab before it sends you back to the app store. fortunately mobile safari can't keep a page loaded in memory so you usually have enough time while it reloads

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
this thread is unbelievably unfunny lol and populated by the blandest, most autismal denizens of this once great forum. thoughts?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

idk about safari but last time i tried opening a site on android chome some banner auto-redirected me to a play store shitware

gently caress that poo poo forever and ever and ever and ever

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
my first thought is that SA was never a once great forum

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

my first thought is that SA was never a once great forum

then ur a loving retard

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
"hurr, durr, the forum that brought AYB, fiestacat, powerbook, FYAD, LF, and heldump was never good, and it was infact bad. i say this because i have severe depression and mental illness and by virtue of me being on somehting, i assume its been irreprably infected by my fail and is now, forever, and retroactively as bad as i am" -said innumerable idiotic goons with no drive for greatness. STFU you pathetic little bitch and work harder at posting better

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
(regarding the best forum on the internet) "its bad" -someone who needs to get the gently caress out forever

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed when we could see post counts and euronymous' was reset. also bring back lf

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Smythe posted:

this thread is unbelievably unfunny lol and populated by the blandest, most autismal denizens of this once great forum. thoughts?

now that you're here

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

now that you're here

said the most fail trashcan at the dump factory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!