maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

what about reverse gentrification, where property values go down and the white people move out?

Main Paineframe

* We're still broke and getting more broke, with $9k left in the bank.
* donate.noisebridge.net is up and running. You should throw money at it.
* 5mof returns this Thursday with Danny O'Brien

quote:

[edit] Financial Report

Funds in bank: $9,000. poo poo-the-beds panic time.
A new donate.noisebridge.net is good for taking in cashmonies! You should please beta test it!

lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
yeah let me betatest this thing i put money into

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

maniacdevnull posted:

what about reverse gentrification, where property values go down and the white people move out?

its called white flight, or blockbusting if your a real estate agent encouraging it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ultramiraculous posted:

yeah the neighborhood so established in yuppie culture that there's places in brooklyn named after delores park and what not.

from what i gather the tenderloin is the best place to experience the class war...she should try that one out.

seriouspost if you want to feel good about yourself you should donate to these guys: http://www.tndc.org/

They fund low-cost housing for the locals/homeless and generally throw a wrench in the lives of dickheads like this :3:

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 25, 2015

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
someone on the yospos irc determined she herself was a transplant from socal (graduated from high school in 2011) and was previously working at tech startups there

kind of cute

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

huh, now that compulsive liar guy can donate, and tell people "i was one of the top ten donors to save the hackerspace!" ($11)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ultramiraculous posted:

from what i gather the tenderloin is the best place to experience the class war...she should try that one out.

Noisebridge should move to the tenderloin to save on rent

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i am going to have sex with everyone at noise bridge

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

i am going to have sex with everyone at noise bridge

just drop trou and put your butt hole against the drywall, someone will tunnel through toot sweet

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jerry Cotton posted:

just drop trou and put your butt hole against the drywall, someone will tunnel through toot sweet
plz dont reveal my dating secrets

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

i am going to have sex with everyone at noise bridge

BONGHITZ posted:

sexbridge update: someone poo poo on my genitals

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quote:

Hey all,

Please note that the intended use of the list is as a place to organise real life mediation, not as a place to discuss what happened or what went wrong.

If you are interested volunteering to be a mediator at Noisebridge then please do subscribe.

All the details can be found here: https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/nb-mediation

Oh boy! Nothing can go wrong with this idea!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

And the only entry on the mediation list so far...

quote:

From: Jeanine Otter <jeanieotter@gmail.com>
Hi. I need mediation on an issue. I don't feel comfortable doing the mediation in Nosiebridge.

DIE TECHIE SCUM but make sure i feel comfortable

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quote:

I ordered a bunch of crap from Harbor Freight to restock our supplies:

* Buttload of phillips screwdrivers

quote:

I can't wait to turn these in to a buttload of stripped phillips screwdrivers! Noisebridge mode, Activate!

quote:

I will literally eat you if you do that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i hacked the screwdrivers into screwdrivers with the ends cut off ITS ART OKAY

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
so let me introduce you to another hackerspaces ml that takes all of these thought leaders from other spaces and puts them on one ml that really nobody reads other than the thought leaders

http://lists.hackerspaces.org/pipermail/discuss/

here are some highlights from the mailing list as of late:

quote:

Does anyone have advice/experience with the leadership abusing their
powers, doing unconstitutional/unethical things? (specifically: bullying
members with mental 'abnormalities').

What happened? Did anyone try to stop it? Has anyone ever called an EGM
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordinary_general_meeting) about it?

I'm attempting to do this at London Hackspace.

Grievance Procedure Update - Peter Meadows banned for one year:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/london-hack-space/Io8vDQvaT84

Notification of a second formal warning for Peter Meadows:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/london-hack-space/7WE1zuRWKbk

Fwd: Re: Your first formal warning:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/london-hack-space/bDlpFC6Lg2o

Fwd: Re: Your behaviour in IRC:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/london-hack-space/uNFjdFI7tmY

Thread about my food getting chucked in the bin:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/london-hack-space/E4Gom_ave4c

(I suspect this was done by a 'trustee' as revenge for me suggesting
'doorbot' should
not be blaring out loud music into the space every 5 minutes. (although
nobody has owned up to doing it, (despite other members insisting that
it was not a mistake, and it was done with the best interests of the
space at heart)):

Thread in which I'm accused of 'de-humanising' the cleaner by calling it
'it':
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/london-hack-space/gFJpT3zPj3c

I think they invented the stuff about IRL harassment because they would
look silly banning me just for supposed 'trolling'. (I was NOT 'trolling').

There is CCTV in the space, so we can determine very easily if I was
'following' people around. They refuse to give any details about what
the CCTV shows.
They refuse to give any details about the nature of the real life
harassment. I can provide many witnesses that spent time with me day to
day in the space, and that will testify that I have not harassed anyone.

David Potocnik writes:

" Anyway, I've been linked to this discussion and I can't see a very
descriptive account of what actually happened. "Harassment" can be a
number of things and it is also perceived/felt (right?), so I suggest
being more expressive."

And:

" This is the second example of somebody being banned for other people
finding them "annoying". With anonymity, the trustees become an
arbiter of good taste (TM) at their own discretion, possibly backed up
by howling wolves. Fine. I'm sure the Trustees are aware of the
problems in both historic examples of various annoyances to
"civility", and on the other side a modern trend in false harassment
accusations. (Even if this is not the case here).

This was actually apparent in the linked "it" email oncleaning. Peter
was accused of "dehumanizing" (morally bad!) acleaner. But when I
read into it, what I saw was him/it playing an (annoying) semantic
game: idea of doing away with normal conception of "human person". As
I read it, this is only "insulting" if you read it through your own
moral lens, the proper one. He/it wasn't being selectively
"dehumanizing" either.
For me it was an example of this person's somewhat annoying and
non-constructive behaviour, as much as general cultural hegemony."

And:

"Guys, restating, I am not - or was not - agitating on anyone's behalf.
Related, nothing is being put "up for debate", though things are
freely debated. (Etc. A careful reader might have found more worrying
cues in follow up responses to my last one.)"

Then they accuse him of 'agitating' on my behalf.

So clearly anyone that speaks up in my favour is going to get bullied
like this.

They are now censoring my list posts, so I have no way to respond to the
false allegations.

then i had this when i decided to reply

quote:

They even started to bully Richard Stallman on the London Hackspace
list. It's scary.

there are some good e-mails in there and i should go digging for them as they can be as ridiculous as noisebridge

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

OSI bean dip posted:

so let me introduce you to another hackerspaces ml that takes all of these thought leaders from other spaces and puts them on one ml that really nobody reads other than the thought leaders

http://lists.hackerspaces.org/pipermail/discuss/

oh my godddddddddd

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
from the london hackerspace guy who was banned:

quote:

I just noticed someone has written on the white board: "-hired
professional cleaner".
What's the deal with the cleaner?

IMHO we should clean our space ourselves and use the money we save to
buy toys. I think it makes us look bad if we talk about DIY culture,
etc, and we can't even organise ourselves to keep the kitchen and
toilets clean.

I'm sure we have enough people willing to spend some time on cleaning.
I think the problem with doing the cleaning ourselves is just one of
organisation, but we're hackers so we should be able to come up with a
neat solution, right?

Take a toilet for example. The first question is 'when was it last
cleaned?'. This can be solved by sticking a piece of paper on the wall
on which people write the date when they've cleaned the toilet.

The next question is 'if it hasn't been cleaned for x days, who is
going to clean it?'. This problem could be solved in a variety of
different ways:
A) A strict rota showing exactly who is going to clean it, and exactly when.
B) Flexible/anarchic system where people organise amongst themselves
who should clean it next and when it will be done.
C) Something in-between (A) and (B).

(In anticipation of people saying '(B) will never work', that's pretty
much how the bins get emptied at the space, and it works for that.
*shrug*)

What happens if it needs doing but it doesn't get done by anyone?
Possible solutions:
A) Hit the person that's supposed to have done it with a paddle.
B) Pick a person that hasn't done it recently at random and lock them
in the toilet with cleaning products until it's clean.
C) Social shaming/shouting/finger pointing until it gets done.
D) Offer a carrot for the next person to do it.
E) Wait until someone complains and then yell 'DO-DO-DO-DO-OCRACY' at them.
F) ?

(Needless to say: If the community consensus is that paying for a
professional is the best thing for the space/community, I'm happy to
go along with that).

((In order to make the toilet cleaning as quick and painless as
possible, I would recommend ripping up the floor tiles in the toilets
and just painting the concrete. Someone told me this was proposed a
long time ago and shot down for some reason. (or long-term solution:
build intelligent cleaning robot) (If you want to discuss this, it's
probably better to start another thread (maybe on
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/london-hack-space-infrastructure
?))))

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
it gets funnier later on when 'peter' refers to the cleaner as 'it'

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/london-hack-space/gFJpT3zPj3c

quote:

I wonder if our current cleaner reads this list. Cos it came to the
space about an hour after I posted, and made a half decent job of
cleaning the kitchen and toilets (Although it failed to empty the
sanitary bin)

not Peter posted:

"They" is the polite gender-neutral pronoun for humans.

not Peter again posted:

Sometimes it can be worth reading the content of links before you post
them, for useful information, such as:

"The pronouns he or she may be replaced with they when the gender of the
person referred to is unknown."

Using 'they' as a gender neutral pronoun is certainly much less
de-humanising language than choosing to refer to a fellow human being as
'it'.

yes this is Peter posted:

I like de-humanising. I think it's a good thing. I prefer for people
to call me 'it'.

Peter in another response posted:

I don't consider it to be impolite to use 'it'.

Who does? Do they think I'm calling them a robot and that's a *bad*
thing? *shrug*

Peter continues posted:

I don't have time to go around asking everyone which pronouns they prefer!

I think it's funny to call people 'it'. If it upsets them, it can come
and talk to me and I'll try to help it develop a sense of humour. (and
if it really can't do this, I'll stop calling it 'it' in public).

(I like to call robots and computers he or she. (Don't
anthropomorphize computers - they hate it))

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ahaha wow

quote:

<peter.h...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if our current cleaner reads this list. Cos it came to the
> space about an hour after I posted, and made a half decent job of
> cleaning the kitchen and toilets (Although it failed to empty the
> sanitary bin)

Peter, calling our cleaner "it" is not in any way appropriate.

His response:

quote:

I did not determine its sex. (I only observed it from a distance, and
did not feel that it was important to investigate further).

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_neutrality%A0

and later

quote:

I like de-humanising. I think it's a good thing. I prefer for people
to call me 'it'.

e:fb

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
wanna hear more about rms being bullied

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

heh, tef spotted

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/london-hack-space/E4Gom_ave4c is absolutely worth a read

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Mike-o posted:

wanna hear more about rms being bullied

there isn't much really

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/london-hack-space/peter$20meadows/london-hack-space/RKqs9bFHmjo/nXTik9aFS6oJ

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

fishmech at the hackerspace

quote:

If we do need an organic waste bin, maybe we could/should get one with a lid?

quote:

My experience of those is that they get overfull and then the lid needs cleaning too.

quote:

Why didn't YOU empty it when it started to get full?

If we get one for the kitchen, I will volunteer to keep an eye on it. I imagine Jose, kraptv, nameless, and some others will do the same.
I.e the people that are not lazy and/or total 'lunchouts'.

quote:

Please keep personal attacks to yourself. This isn't tolerated...'I.e the people that are not lazy and/or total 'lunchouts'. '

quote:

I think it's not a 'personal attack' if I didn't attack a person. If I did attack a person, which person was it?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

surprised there wasn't begging for tips

EMILY BLUNTS

I think it's not a 'personal attack' if I didn't attack a person. If I did attack a person, which person was it?

i like this because you can just turn it aroudn again if the answer with a name

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

agreed.

what a loving baby.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quote:

I am going to be blunt.

When I woke up this morning I was expecting to see a continued debate regarding the role of hackerspaces.org and the ways in which spaces can function together so as to avoid publicity debacles ( which I think the comments on this list define it as ) like the one that happened on boingboing yesterday. Maybe even some discussion of how we as diverse entities could breach our own uncommon differences and work together on the global stage when necessary. Instead I found my inbox stuffed with a load of nonsense and a number of poorly written and closed minded emails concerning personal politics. The simple fact is everyone on this list is very obviously not capable of treating each other with an equal measure of respect.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

anyway, please stop oppressing christians by being even slightly gay ever

qirex

The simple fact is everyone on this list is very obviously not capable of treating each other with an equal measure of respect.
it's like they're almost starting to get it

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

qirex posted:

it's like they're almost starting to get it

...that e-mail was from 2009 :negative:

e:

quote:

Yes, there is technology which can help manage inboxes, just as I can offer earplugs to those who find me standing in the corner of their hackerspace shouting "I have the hots for RMS" on a megaphone.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 352 days!
lol @ their money problems. cant they just doocratically rob a bank or smth

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quote:

Dear self aggrandizing jerkfaced politicos.

In spite of repeated attempts to remain open minded, and courteous to
people who I have disagreed with, you have seen fit to summarily dismiss my
beliefs and opinions as wrong. Obviously as you have clearly stated
repeatedly I am an idiot. My knowledge of geography and understanding of
the more subtle points of the social sciences have become blunted. I would
blame my American upbringing for this, but no doubt you have already done
that for me. Of course the fact that some of that upbringing occurred in
the other America you folks so often forget about, I may be unwise in doing
so.

Irregardless! It is now up to me to immediately bring my personal
politics into play concerning NYCResistor. If I do not do this I will face
the continued harassment and general ridicule of this list. I do not want
that. I care what you all think of me and your dismissive and accusatory
words burn into my eyes like a hot soldering iron of rage fluxed vehemence (
not lead free either ). I cannot withstand the awesome onslaught of your
arguments. I will seek a detente through the adoption of your ways.

I consider myself to be torn between the political theories of monarchism
and the benevolent dictatorship. As such I revise my previous posts
concerning NYCResistor to fall into line with these political theories.

The mandate of the heavens is with us. God in his infinite impedence and
overwhelming gain has saw fit to entrust with us his ultimate providence.
Our hackerspace is a holy writ descended upon the heretical hordes of man
with holy impunity seated upon our right hand and incontrovertable truth
upon our left. The grace of our lord and savior shines upon our brow and as
we steep ourselves in the unclean waters of this mailing list. We cry songs
of war and gallantry! We will crush our enemies, see them driven before us,
and to hear the lamentation of their women. This is what is best in
hackerspaces. And I for one will deny the mandate of the people no longer.
The unclean must become accolytes of our way or be cut down as the infidels
they are. Join with me brothers as we accept to shoulder the yoke of this
divine mandate. We will become leaders of men, and woe shall come to the
lips of our enemies.

Indeed, thank you brothers for opening my eyes to this truth. If not for
your persistence I could never have come to this revelation. I will thank
you by freeing you of your sins. Join with me as I rise to greatness, or
fall upon my blade and live in darkness no more. The choice is yours.

All hail me! All hail me!

Oh yes, now I get it. This hackerspaces are political thing. I totally
understand now.

Thank you for opening my eyes.

Sincerely,

Emperor of NYCResistor and Defender of the International Hackerspaces
His Royal Eminence God King Matt Malloc of the Corrupted Joyce

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that was ironic right?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

OSI bean dip posted:

from the london hackerspace guy who was banned:

TOILETS

doo-doo-ocracy

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
#2ocracy

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

wesley snypes posted:

lol @ their money problems. cant they just doocratically rob a bank or smth

they should bitcoin some research chemicals

  • Locked thread