Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pork Pie Hat posted:

As a brief aside from fees/nuke-chat, are the best choices for a DM style boot now they've moved to China Solovair or Grinders? I know we've had this discussion before but it has been a while and I've forgotten what the thread wisdom was.

What's wrong with China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Solovair make nice shoes but Idk why you'd want DM style when there are much better options

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

What's wrong with China?

I had some China made DMs and they were not very well made.

I mean, there's loads wrong with China, but specifically, poorly manufactured shoes.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I can't believe we've gone a whole day without anyone even mentioning that Scotland got beaten by Afghanistan at the cricket World Cup.

Afghanistan

I'm waiting for the England-Afghanistan game tbh

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Disinterested posted:

If you think this is what GiP is like I have a nasty surprise for you.

Never said you were roleplaying as GiP well. Needs more racism with your nuclear boners.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

V. Illych L. posted:

India/Pakistan's nuclear arsenals are both terrifying abominations that should be dismantled ASAP lest something very bad happen

I don't know who doesn't agree with this. If you don't have proper command and control you need to not have the bomb, just for your own good. It's not making you any safer if effectively your bomb could be used without civilian approval. Not to mention the Pakistanis have an arrangement to ship bombs to Saudi if they ever ask for them.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

EmptyVessel posted:

Never said you were roleplaying as GiP well. Needs more racism with your nuclear boners.

Exactly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

EmptyVessel posted:

Well since people have been talking about invading the french

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZUKEVU-TwM

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Disinterested posted:

Not to mention the Pakistanis have an arrangement to ship bombs to Saudi if they ever ask for them.
Shipped via https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_mail ?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

Sounds like as close as you can get to balls out class war without erecting guillotines.

e/ speaking of actual war, what are all yall's thoughts on Trident? I can see how we've ended up with it through a combination of inertia from being a previous superpower and anticipating that the Soviets might swing at us first to protect themselves from/more easily get to America, but with the way things are going at the minute it seems like it might better to decommission it and shunt the money elsewhere*.

Has there even been any recent expert study/justification provided for the strategic value of nuclear deterrent? I sort of get the feeling we're still running on cold war manuals.

Personally I would cling onto nuclear capability like death, because it's a useful stick to swing around if you need to, or at least a useful stick to glance suggestively at on occasion.

Some nuclear submarines seem like almost the most cost effective way to do it really. Given that they're far, far better at the whole deterrant aspect than a massive standing arsenal is on an island the size of the UK. A land based method needs enough silos to not get taken out easily, whereas a few submarines can be effectively impervious to any first strike and still gently caress up whoever did it. The thinking behind it is essentially a nation-sized deadman switch on nuclear Armageddon.

Which seems like a useful thing to have.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 27, 2015

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

OwlFancier posted:

The thinking behind it is essentially a nation-sized deadman switch on nuclear Armageddon.

Which seems like a useful thing to have.

Who the gently caress is going to nuke us

e: You know what else is useful to have? Doctors

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The only thing worse than nuclear war is nuclear warchat. At least nuclear war ends.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Nah, it's useful to identify those who are committed to preserving Thatcher's legacy, for future reference.
Hell, they're even using the same anti-French argument given by one of her few supporters at the time.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Regarde Aduck posted:

I would seriously like to understand where you are coming from.

that there is no difference in our threat to being invaded by a nuclear power with or without Trident

it's not difficult.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Anyone arguing the cuban missile crisis please note the only reason it was ever more than a political stareoff was because Dr Strangelove is based on a true story and Americans are loving mental all the time, every time.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Boing posted:

The Benevolent Supreme Communist Democracy of North Korea in a alternative univerise where North Korea is actually a credible threat.

Boing posted:

Nah. I still prefer that we use that money to create Mechs.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I can't believe we've gone a whole day without anyone even mentioning that Scotland got beaten by Afghanistan at the cricket World Cup.

Afghanistan

Scotland sucks at sports and we know it.

Extreme0 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 27, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Disinterested posted:

MAD works. It's as simple as that.

You need a nutter like Castro for it not to work, and that's just a strong argument in favour of not allowing everyone and his mate to proliferate.
Yeah I'm sure no-one nuts will ever gain power in a currently nuclear state.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Hey look the goalposts moved.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Irony Be My Shield posted:

In a world where nuclear weapons have been eradicated, what's to stop this post-nuclear state nut from building one?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Boing posted:

Which we could help pay for by not conducting stupid wars in the middle east.

Security for the UK is good, destabilizing other nations is bad.

Of all the stupid poo poo the military spends money on, maintaining a token but effective nuclear force seems like the least stupid.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 27, 2015

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Fees chat prompted me to check my balance on my student loan. 8 months to go and I'm all paid off :getin:

People need to bootstrap themselves into having started university before top up fees, like I did.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've never bothered checking mine but I imagine gently caress all has been paid off

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They send me a nice letter every year to let me know I still owe them the 11k or so I borrowed.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I don't get the whole student fees debate really. They're not real loans in any way and to be honest I might as well owe the SLC however much in monopoly funbucks. I have literally not even checked my account since I graduated and never intend to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't get the whole student fees debate really. They're not real loans in any way and to be honest I might as well owe the SLC however much in monopoly funbucks. I have literally not even checked my account since I graduated and never intend to.

Well there is a slight issue that if they are truly intended to be unrepayable, it's going to be wonderful fun in 40-60 years time when the SLC starts demanding however much money off the government in unrepaid loans, or alternatively, we have whatever problems ensue from people defaulting on their loans en-masse.

Tuition fees are extremely prohibitive, and student loans as a solution to that are a farce, because if the student loans are inconsequential then tuition fees wouldn't be charged, the money has to come from somewhere.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 27, 2015

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

Well there is a slight issue that if they are truly intended to be unrepayable, it's going to be wonderful fun in 40-60 years time when the SLC starts demanding however much money off the government in unrepaid loans, or alternatively, we have whatever problems ensue from people defaulting on their loans en-masse.

Yep, it's a terrible system. I'm not disputing that. But as loans they're utterly painless and I always get a little annoyed when the media misrepresents the issue by declaring STUDENTS HAVE ALL THE DEBT. I mean yes they do in a way but not really. I'm always incredulous at people who say they 'wanted to go to uni but didn't want to be saddled with the debt' as if post-graduation it's all bailiffs knocking your door down and taking your cat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Yep, it's a terrible system. I'm not disputing that. But as loans they're utterly painless and I always get a little annoyed when the media misrepresents the issue by declaring STUDENTS HAVE ALL THE DEBT. I mean yes they do in a way but not really. I'm always incredulous at people who say they 'wanted to go to uni but didn't want to be saddled with the debt' as if post-graduation it's all bailiffs knocking your door down and taking your cat.

It won't affect you personally, probably, unless the government finds some way of altering the conditions of the loan post-hoc which would be fairly terrifying, but it's not a sustainable solution. And the debt is going to bite somebody in the arse somewhere down the line, just in several decades when the government than established the policy will all be dead from too much child buggering.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Surely those who never pay them back are the minority though ?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
I just checked mine. They only update it at the end of every tax year - wtf?
I've still got about 12k left, after I take off what I've paid since April last year. At this rate I'll still be paying it into my 30s :(

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I have a jobcenter thing where i need photo ID

The only photo ID I have is an expired passport.

They should accept that, right?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm not sure if this calculator is accurate, but if it is then basically if you had a 3 year course and you immediately leave university and find a £25,000 job and keep that job indefinitely while having your pay rising to £50,000 then yeah you'll pay back your loan in 24 years. If you had a 4 year course then there's basically no chance unless you're going into a very highly paid field.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

(By which I mean no, they won't. Unless they don't notice. Which they might not.)

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm 25 and last year started a new job earning around £15k so am now paying back my loans at a rate of about seventeen pence per year. Don't really care, though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

They probably will as long as you can be recognised from the photo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Part of the problem with student loans is that the maintenance loan doesn't even cover rent basically anywhere any more so I bet you have a moderately high number of people who drop out of uni after 2-3 years depending on their course due to parents losing jobs or whatever who suddenly have £30k debt and no degree to show for it. Even if it isn't like a real loan its still an issue. Of course increasing the maintenance loan just means people end up in even more debt

I'm unfamiliar if there are systems in place for getting grants to students who this happens to or if they'd be enough though

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
March will be my last payment on my student loans that I got from 95-99.
I was the last year of the government grant, so was actually PAID money to goto uni in the UK. Get your mind around that.
So my overall total isn't as high as you young 'un's, I pity my brother who will never be able to pay his off until next decade assuming nothing changes.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Bozza posted:

Fees chat prompted me to check my balance on my student loan. 8 months to go and I'm all paid off :getin:

People need to bootstrap themselves into having started university before top up fees, like I did.

Bootstrap yourself into living on the Isle of Man. No fees for UK universities, and I believe they even have grants, although that may have stopped.

You also (used to, at least) get an extra £500 a year if you go to Liverpool, because they don't like people going too far away and getting exposed to dangerous modern influences.

fake edit: I just checked, and there's been a ~£2500 student contribution to the tuition fees since 2010. You can get a government loan to cover it though. Basic grant is £4500 per year, or more if you go to London.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

My current >200 quid a month payments have got me to dip just under the 40k barrier last august :toot:

Dropping fees to 6k is a fairly savvy move in the long term. Because so few people will earn enough over their careers to pay the whole thing back the last 3k of the tuition fee is effectively subsidised by the government anyway

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

That's all true enough (as are the arguments that this is effectively a graduate tax, albeit a fairly lovely one), but I always worry that the people most likely to be scared off university by DEBT are people from poorer backgrounds, who are going to have a very different view of being thousands of pounds in debt than someone from a family that sees debt as a mortgage plus a handy way to get a new car every couple of years. Or maybe that's a bit patronizing, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think poor people are strangers to debt.

• Locked thread