Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

HappyHelmet posted:

Well scooters aren't even allowed to ride on highways in Taiwan so the freeways in LA would be empty!

Easy: lower the speed limit to 35 mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hermand posted:

Saw a teenager on a moped today - no gear apart from his helmet. He was riding along.....texting.

There is truly no hope.

End civilization, give another species a chance.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

hermand posted:

Saw a teenager on a moped today - no gear apart from his helmet. He was riding along.....texting.

There is truly no hope.

The hope is that medicine hasn't progressed far enough to save his life/reproductive organs in time.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

HappyHelmet posted:

If everyone had them in Seattle getting around the city would be SO much easier. Hell, I'd be happy if they would just allow lane splitting.

But that would interfere with all the cyclists.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Douche in an Audi is another tautological phrase. I'm not sure if they're worse than BMW drivers, but they're close.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

Douche in an Audi is another tautological phrase. I'm not sure if they're worse than BMW drivers, but they're close.

BMW have long been dethroned in this.

BMW drivers are malicious cunts.

Audi drivers are malicious cunts too busy to notice you exist.

Lexus drivers have no concept of other vehicles on the road, road rules or, sometimes, even the road itself.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Audi "Challenge all givens" - this apparently applies to traffic rules.

Lexus drivers: those RX SUVs are right up there with Subarus and Volvos as the scourge of the road. Subarus in particular are predictably unpredictable, you can almost set your watch to Subarus doing retarded poo poo.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Lexus drivers have no concept of other vehicles on the road, road rules or, sometimes, even the road itself.

My soon to be father-in-law drives a 6 figure Lexus. He regularly does 100 mph through residential streets in Los Angeles on his way home from the bar, with his wife and two children in the car.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Chichevache posted:

My soon to be father-in-law drives a 6 figure Lexus. He regularly does 100 mph through residential streets in Los Angeles on his way home from the bar, with his wife and two children in the car.

How drunk is he?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

VERTiG0 posted:

How drunk is he?

I'd say a beer or two plus one or two Cadillac margaritas is the minimum, that's below his average though.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Sounds like quite the piece of poo poo. Hope when he kills the family in a horrid wreck you get some decent inheritance.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Coredump posted:

Everyone who drives in a car by themselves should have it taken away and given a motorcycle. If you can't shift a manual Honda makes some nice automatics.

Hearing about these makes me wonder about the effects of the majority of American cars being automatic rather than manual, I imagine it's a lot easier to gently caress about when there's less attention needed to control the car's functions, not that it excuses retarded behavior though.

However the three kings of douchebaggery still reign supreme on the road;
Audi
BMW
Lexus

Runners up include;
Land Rover not in the countryside
Supersized Mini countryman

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Super Slash posted:

Hearing about these makes me wonder about the effects of the majority of American cars being automatic rather than manual, I imagine it's a lot easier to gently caress about when there's less attention needed to control the car's functions, not that it excuses retarded behavior though.

However the three kings of douchebaggery still reign supreme on the road;
Audi
BMW
LexusSubaru

Fixed for Seattle.
Maybe it's me, but I never really have issues with Lexuses? Lexii?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

Fixed for Seattle.
Maybe it's me, but I never really have issues with Lexuses? Lexii?

Pretty sure the reason you feel this way is one of the following:

1. There are no lexus dealers in your town.

2. You don't notice the lexus drivers trying to kill you because their cars camouflage themselves against a background of mediocrity so perfectly.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

2. You don't notice the lexus drivers trying to kill you because their cars camouflage themselves against a background of mediocrity so perfectly.

It is this.

Also I don't know how Toyota Sequoias were left off the list. All drivers of that model vehicle will try to kill you. Yes, I said 'try' because there is definitely malice involved.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Chichevache posted:

It is this.

Also I don't know how Toyota Sequoias were left off the list. All drivers of that model vehicle will try to kill you. Yes, I said 'try' because there is definitely malice involved.

On the other hand, I had a dude in a Cube fold his mirror in earlier so I could get by him because the douchebag in the Q5 next to him was directly on the line.

Also, for my rant: who loving knee that peacocks could not only fly, but we're also suicidal? I saw three of them on the side of the road, and thought nothing of it. Then one took off and would have went through my visor at 50mph if I hadn't ducked. As it is, the big loving tail hit me. WHY DIDNT I KNOW THEY COULD FLY

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, for my rant: who loving knee that peacocks could not only fly, but we're also suicidal? I saw three of them on the side of the road, and thought nothing of it. Then one took off and would have went through my visor at 50mph if I hadn't ducked. As it is, the big loving tail hit me. WHY DIDNT I KNOW THEY COULD FLY

They *fly*. I've never really seen them get any higher than to flutter up to light posts etc, growing up in a city where they are the city bird was terrible.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't the Arcadia PD get pissed at you if you whack one and not report it?

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Angryboot posted:

Sure does, there's huge rear end fines for hurting/harassing them etc

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

iwentdoodie posted:

They fly like chickens fly: short distances and only to hop a fence for food.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Angryboot posted:

Yeah supposedly. I bought a craigslist office chair from someone there who was moving; he had to for work or something but he was happy to be getting away from the drat birds. I saw like ten chilling outside his house. He said it was illegal to gently caress with them but "you won't see any swerving skid marks...."

A now-deceased co worker had one jump in front of his beloved and very clean Acura TL and leave a scratch+ feather in his bumper. He was pissed. He said it walked away but he wanted to go back and finish it off, fines be damned.

If I lived there I would have the most :ninja: of silenced pellet guns ever.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

El Jebus posted:

They fly like chickens fly: short distances and only to hop a fence for food.

No, they can fly proper distances but there's not a lot of them in the wild outside of Asia, and domesticated ones normally have their wings clipped because they're loving expensive.

(They prefer not to fly long distances because of their stupid loving tailfeathers but they can do >100 mile trips looking for mates)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So yesterday, I had a decent yin/yang of experiences riding home from work.

It started with some prick in a Tacoma 4x4 who almost merged right into me. We stopped at the light in front of us, and I turned back to him making a "look at the sign behind us" motion. He rolled down his window and started yelling something, so I just gave him the jerk-off motion and rode off.

Then, when I was reaching up to my Sena to change the track I was listening to, my glove snagged on the release tab and the bluetooth pod dropped to the road while I was driving on a major arterial through the city. While feeling crushed and extra pissed off, I pulled a quick U-turn, hoping to see it in the gutter or something and not already in a million pieces.

A woman who was eating lunch in the median started yelling and waving at me as I rode by, with a black thing in her hand... my Sena. She said she watched it fall off and grabbed it for me, I told her she was awesome and "thank you so, so much" before I rode off as I was stopped in traffic.

I think I gotta pay that one forward.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Radbot posted:

eating lunch in the median

So apparently this isn't the first time this phrase has been used in the history of the English language...

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Marv Hushman posted:

So apparently this isn't the first time this phrase has been used in the history of the English language...

I know, sounds pretty weird. It's a huge, lush grassy median right next to the college, though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Marv Hushman posted:

It was a really common problem when they opened the M1. People stopped in the fast lane to have picnics.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Car exhaust goes great with baloney sandwiches.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Retarded Pimp posted:

Car exhaust goes great with baloney sandwiches.

Replace that with tacos and you just described LA to a tee.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Got a loving parket ticket on the bike, for the first time in the three years I've parked in the same spot. I guess someone was in a bad mood and wanted to pass it on.

Now the question is is it worth fighting over 50 lousy euro or should I just do the Swedish thing and swallow the bitter pill then whine about it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Isn't the swedish to blame immigrants and/or non-whites for your ticket?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Depends on whether you were parked illegally or not...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nsaP posted:

Depends on whether you were parked illegally or not...
Nope. Was parked in a designated MC parking spot. I hadn't paid the parking fee, but you've never had to in the past because there's no place to put the paid ticket on a bike where it won't get stolen so it's always been one of those "technically you have to pay but we can't enforce it" things.

Slavvy posted:

Isn't the swedish to blame immigrants and/or non-whites for your ticket?
You're thinking of the Danish.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Collateral Damage posted:

Nope. Was parked in a designated MC parking spot. I hadn't paid the parking fee, but you've never had to in the past because there's no place to put the paid ticket on a bike where it won't get stolen so it's always been one of those "technically you have to pay but we can't enforce it" things.

Generate a PDF bank statement from one of your accounts, and illegaly forge it so that it looks like you made a payment for parking on the day in question, then lie to the city, telling them that someone stole your parking ticket and that's why you got a ticket.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

captainOrbital posted:

Generate a PDF bank statement from one of your accounts, and illegaly forge it so that it looks like you made a payment for parking on the day in question, then lie to the city, telling them that someone stole your parking ticket and that's why you got a ticket.

This works wonders at most city governments. The desk jockey doesn't actually want to do any work, so "throw this one out because they're successfully trying to fight" is easier than proving that you actually failed to pay.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

You're thinking of the Danish.

:doh: yeah you're right.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

This works wonders at most city governments. The desk jockey doesn't actually want to do any work, so "throw this one out because they're successfully trying to fight" is easier than proving that you actually failed to pay.

With Tower Hamlets Council simply sending them an email is enough to get your complaint thrown in that pile. It's worked for me 5 out of 6 times, the sixth time I had to actually write them a letter.

Unless you're the (very short-lived) new manager in our IT security department and park your dumb BMW X5 in a business permit holder bay right outside the front door of the office (that we're not allowed to use because we have our own parking spots, but he didn't qualify for one) every day for 4 months and taunt the parking wardens that they're not allowed to tow your car because it's too heavy for their lifter. Then you get the very personal service.

(He didn't lose his job for that, but that sort of attitude is pretty much why he did. Also by our reckoning he owes them at least £6k in parking fines without factoring in the court and recovery fees that bailiffs like to tack on. Hopefully it scales up to enough so that he ends up having not actually earned a penny working for us, the wanker)

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
The last time I had an illegitimate parking ticket (was out of state and had plain tickets to prove it) I e-mailed and called the court house a couple counties over and I never made it past the bitch answering the phone. I learned I would have to discuss the matter with the judge, I could do this over the phone but that would be a waste of the judges time and my call would only make the judge more angry. I tried politely to schedule a call to the judge, or somehow mail the plane tickets or other proof to the judge but no matter what I tried the secretary kept bitching saying she knew it was a waste of time. Faced with either driving a hundred miles to court (to really waste then judges time. . .) or paying a ticket I admitted defeat and added the secretary to the list.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Crotch Fruit posted:

The last time I had an illegitimate parking ticket (was out of state and had plain tickets to prove it) I e-mailed and called the court house a couple counties over and I never made it past the bitch answering the phone. I learned I would have to discuss the matter with the judge, I could do this over the phone but that would be a waste of the judges time and my call would only make the judge more angry. I tried politely to schedule a call to the judge, or somehow mail the plane tickets or other proof to the judge but no matter what I tried the secretary kept bitching saying she knew it was a waste of time. Faced with either driving a hundred miles to court (to really waste then judges time. . .) or paying a ticket I admitted defeat and added the secretary to the list.

The courthouse may be 100 miles away, but how far is the secretary's house? :toughguy:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's time to talk about Hyosung throttles.

The throttle design on the GT250 is the worst piece of 'engineering' I've ever seen on a motorcycle. It's a design that shouldn't be on anything capable of attaining the speed limit.

Diagram.

The cable sheath comes down and perches in the loop bracket thing, #36. When it rains, and because the cable is a little bit old, water makes the cable bind slightly. On a normal bike you'd feel this as a slightly heavier throttle. The hyoshit is a single cable system, so when the cable binds, it lifts the entire sheath out of the bracket and causes the throttle to stick open. This is most prone to happening when you're turning and using the throttle because the cable is at full stretch due to the position of the bars. There is nothing holding the sheath in place besides the tension of the cable, and there is no method of adjusting the tension.

Today is the second day of hurricane Pam hitting NZ so I had a real fun commute.

Oh and to make things worse: the shinko I put on the rear is less grippy in the rain than the 10 year old, mostly bald pilot active that was on there before. I'm not exaggerating when I say that any throttle at any lean angle causes the rear to step out. This sounds fun but I'm terrified of riding in the rain because I don't know how to judge how much grip I have left and loss of traction happens loving instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Throw that bike off a loving cliff already. You know, before it does it for you while you're riding.