Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Berke Negri posted:

This is about right, as I finished leveling up Mirror Inaji after DR was released, hit 50 somewhere early to middle of Cardassian arc and got as far as oh, 58 or so doing missions after that and I still needed to do argala to finish. I mean, that's better than starting DR at fifty and playing stop and go through the content I guess.
Strangely enough, the stop and go wasn't as bad when DR first dropped. Most of the massive XP nerfs came later. At first, doing the story missions and then maybe a patrol or two was enough to level you up for the next story mission. And if you wanted to just wait until 60, you could hit 60 with a few hours of grinding argala/japori.

Of course, they 'fixed' that pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah. It's easy to forget that as horrible as it was, leveling and getting XP was actually a lot easier at Delta Rising's launch. Before cryptic "rebalanced" XP (ie, nerfed) enemy kills gave a much larger percentage of experience, and even more on higher difficulties, so you could gain a level just by plodding through Elite Argala 2-4 times. Now... nope!

And hey, there's a big ship sale. :toot: You can practically feel the desperation. 20% off every ship, but 15% off the command ships too... is this the quickest they've put a discount on a recent release? Even more telling than that, if you buy a T5 ship or bundle you get a free account-bound upgrade token for every upgradeable ship you get. Which on on hand is pretty nice, but on the other it probably shows that (shock of shocks) the sale of T5 ships must have absolutely cratered because nobody is stupid enough to pay out the nose for the ship and the upgrade when you wind up getting less than the (already overpriced) T6 ships give.

Still, it's a pretty generous sale. Just don't give Cryptic money until they actually unfuck the queues and unfuck leveling. :geno:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

Yeah. It's easy to forget that as horrible as it was, leveling and getting XP was actually a lot easier at Delta Rising's launch. Before cryptic "rebalanced" XP (ie, nerfed) enemy kills gave a much larger percentage of experience, and even more on higher difficulties, so you could gain a level just by plodding through Elite Argala 2-4 times. Now... nope!

And hey, there's a big ship sale. :toot: You can practically feel the desperation. 20% off every ship, but 15% off the command ships too... is this the quickest they've put a discount on a recent release? Even more telling than that, if you buy a T5 ship or bundle you get a free account-bound upgrade token for every upgradeable ship you get. Which on on hand is pretty nice, but on the other it probably shows that (shock of shocks) the sale of T5 ships must have absolutely cratered because nobody is stupid enough to pay out the nose for the ship and the upgrade when you wind up getting less than the (already overpriced) T6 ships give.

Still, it's a pretty generous sale. Just don't give Cryptic money until they actually unfuck the queues and unfuck leveling. :geno:

Hah! I actually bought Zen during the sale intending to buy the Command Ship, but have been waiting to master my Samsar. Thanks Cryptic.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
What would the best bundles to pick up? I think I have around 10k Zen or so from the monthly stipend.

I was thinking the Vesta and maybe Odyssey bundles, but I haven't really kept up with anything since DR released.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Vesta is still a fun ship and one of the top Sci Ships. The bundle is worth it if you like interesting clicky consoles.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Galaxy bundle of course, for those massively overpowered Gal-R and Gal-X.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Time to pick up the Phantom for that famous P2W trait, I guess?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Played around a bit tonight. Good news! Cryptic has heard the complaints about the tedium of Argala/Garren farming. And in response they have liberated players from the worries of ever getting spec points again. :toot: Patrols give less and have a cooldown, queues give a bit more but it's negligible (5k... during double XP), and battlezones give jack and poo poo for the time.

Only way to even get the bar to budge is to be klank and oppress every gorn. Hooray I guess!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Asimo posted:

Played around a bit tonight. Good news! Cryptic has heard the complaints about the tedium of Argala/Garren farming. And in response they have liberated players from the worries of ever getting spec points again. :toot: Patrols give less and have a cooldown, queues give a bit more but it's negligible (5k... during double XP), and battlezones give jack and poo poo for the time.

Only way to even get the bar to budge is to be klank and oppress every gorn. Hooray I guess!

Wait so is the cooldown there even if you patrol different systems?

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
Game is literally making GBS threads itself right now. I think dstahl pulled the plug.

Edit: I like how the launcher has to load a massive background image file before it is actually loaded.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

SKY COQ posted:

Wait so is the cooldown there even if you patrol different systems?

Nah. You can do circuits of different patrols. It's just annoying.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Asimo posted:

Only thing I wanted was to hit ten points in Command just to train boffs in the skills for ground and now that just doesn't even seem worth the trouble. If you can't even earn spec points in a timely unfun manner why bother. What happens when they inevitably release another tree for season ten (or whatever?). Might as well take a time machine to 1999 and play Lineage I.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Berke Negri posted:

Only thing I wanted was to hit ten points in Command just to train boffs in the skills for ground and now that just doesn't even seem worth the trouble. If you can't even earn spec points in a timely unfun manner why bother. What happens when they inevitably release another tree for season ten (or whatever?). Might as well take a time machine to 1999 and play Lineage I.

I think you can just buy the training manuals for those on the exchange.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
You can only have one spec active at a time anyways so you can ignore command entirely without falling behind on the power curve. Just get other people who do have it ground out make the skill padds for you.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

Nah. You can do circuits of different patrols. It's just annoying.

Oh, I don't doubt that it is. Still, I've got a fresh 50 that I need to start grinding rep with, so decent ways to at least get Romulan marks and skill at the same time isn't terrible.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wait, poo poo, how am I meant to grind up ship traits in any reasonable time now.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

You don't. :toot:

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
People also shouldn't forget to do their doffing. Doff missions can net you a spec point or two a week if you go for the high-point missions. It's also a mostly non-painful way of getting a little more dil per day in addition to your contraband.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Doffing doesn't help with ship mastery leveling.

(Although honestly, that doesn't take long compared to trying to gain spec points.)

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

hakimashou posted:

I think you can just buy the training manuals for those on the exchange.

I thought you needed ten points just to train a boff? If that's not the case then yeah, gently caress it.

But yeah, ship traits arent the real issue, that doesnt take too long (though at this point if youre not in an exchance bought T5 ship why bother when for less money you can just save up for a T6 ship) but the spec points.

Game going to die ya'll.

edit: that staff had to post on the official forums "of course we don't want to kill the game as then we'd be out of jobs" i don't take as reassuring and not...more than once

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 27, 2015

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
You can buy the specialization books to train a duty officer in the command spec or intelligence spec off the exchange. You can buy the level 1 and 2 of int/com from the normal officer trainer, same as anything else. You can buy the level 3 skill books off the exchange, or spend the 10 points to do it yourself. I think you still need to craft the book for that, though. My understanding isn't complete.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

See, I thought you needed ten points in a spec to "spec" a boff in something. If that really isn't the case than gently caress, I'll buy a bunch of command books off goons because they kind of break ground combat.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I don't think I've seen it mentioned in the thread before but those crafting doffs are a real kick in the nuts. A little while back I finally get beams up to 15, get all my bullshit together, go to craft my dumb arc laser and noooope, you need a special doff to do that. Now I've got this loving white doff that lets me make arc beams (if i ever had a need to make another one) that puckers my rear end in a top hat every time I go to throw doffs in the starbase furnace. It's been awhile so I remember the name now but for awhile there I would forget they exist, start filling projects, then a 3rd of the way through be all "oh no, what have I possibly done?" Expensive rear end mistake to be making.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

MikeJF posted:

Wait, poo poo, how am I meant to grind up ship traits in any reasonable time now.

you can quit argala just before it ends and do it again with no cooldown

ship trait mastery only comes from actually killing ships, so missing out on the ending xp pack doesnt affect it.

------------------

:spergin::jihad:

ETA:

If you wanted to grind spec points during this weekend, you still can in argala by not killing the last ship. you can repeat it as many times as you want as long as you don't actually kill all the ships.

It's not quite as good as it was before, but you can actually grind out spec points doing it. Probably 1/hr still.

The xp reward for finishing it is only 5k. significantly less than the xp you get for blowing up all the ships.

Also, you can double dip on claiming the reward by running it completely and not clicking on the claim reward button. You get the reward after 5 minutes automatically, but it lets you into argala again as long as the 5 minutes aren't up, and you can get a second reward.

It locks you out once the 5min thing is done though.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 27, 2015

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

MikeJF posted:

Battle of Korfez; I can max a ship out in about 6 runs, assuming I don't get stuck with the Benthans too often.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I don't think I've seen it mentioned in the thread before but those crafting doffs are a real kick in the nuts. A little while back I finally get beams up to 15, get all my bullshit together, go to craft my dumb arc laser and noooope, you need a special doff to do that. Now I've got this loving white doff that lets me make arc beams (if i ever had a need to make another one) that puckers my rear end in a top hat every time I go to throw doffs in the starbase furnace. It's been awhile so I remember the name now but for awhile there I would forget they exist, start filling projects, then a 3rd of the way through be all "oh no, what have I possibly done?" Expensive rear end mistake to be making.

I'm pretty sure bound doffs show they are bound on the feeding to the starbase list, if you stick them in an active doff slot to bind them then take them back out you'll have some sort of warning.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

If they're not bound, you can just toss them into a mail to yourself whenever you need to fill a starbase project, since presumably they're the only white doffs you'll own and you can just reclaim them from the mail when you're done. Gives you a double bonus of having the slot freed for the new sacrifices too. And uh, if they aren't then you need to go do something about that. Presumably by feeding the other white doffs into starbase projects. :v:

Unrelated... apparently the four-piece bonus for the command cruiser console set got buffed to be +33% energy weapon damage instead of +15%. You're giving up a lot for the four-piece, but you're still getting some unique defensive stuff (from passives and set bonuses) and the gimmick click powers in return too, and now that the embassy consoles have been nerfed you don't really need the flowcaps if you have plasleech and the Astika trait. The question is, is that bonus enough that throwing those in the engineering slots and plasleech/borg/bioneural in the sci slots is better than plasleech/borg/tachyo/bioneural with embassy consoles in the sci slots, or is it one of those dumbass Cryptic bonuses that works out to be a lot less than it looks?

Admittedly testing this is tricky since it requires owning the set, but it's certainly an unexpected and unannounced development.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Asimo posted:

The question is, is that bonus enough that throwing those in the engineering slots and plasleech/borg/bioneural in the sci slots is better than plasleech/borg/tachyo/bioneural with embassy consoles in the sci slots, or is it one of those dumbass Cryptic bonuses that works out to be a lot less than it looks?

The latter. It's like an extra tac console that you trade four other consoles for.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

Unrelated... apparently the four-piece bonus for the command cruiser console set got buffed to be +33% energy weapon damage instead of +15%.

That in addition to the massive ship sale (including the latest ship pack even) and FREE T-5U upgrade modules for applicable purchases certainly does seem to suggest that PWE are desperate to prop up their earnings for the month.

It'll probably work too. Pubbies love ship sales.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Well the new lockbox flooded the exchange with fairly cheap purple R&D doffs so go buy one of those.

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

What. I'm often finding small stacks of kobali r&d doff packs on the exchange for the price of one, or the same doff packs with a zero at the end missing, thanks to pubbies mis-pricing their listings. If you don't mind kobalified dead people in your roster, pick a few of the packs under rewards.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Well, there goes Spock for any future VOs.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Leonard Nimoy just passed away, sad day.

^ beat me to it

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
And now Nimoy is as dead as this game, and there is only one Spock, as God intended: Zachary Quinto.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Nabreeki wins Star Trek

Period full stop.

End of discussion.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 27, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

The latter. It's like an extra tac console that you trade four other consoles for.
Oh Cryptic. :downs: So much for something that might have been a useful and atypical build.

Aleth posted:

Well, there goes Spock for any future VOs.
Now we'll never get another Civ 4. :(

Midgetman
Feb 19, 2010
Who do i have to speak to to get back into SFD?

account is: Midge@rf-midge

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sad day, but I also question you guys for not adding any party to this dreary event.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I hope Cryptic 'honors' Nimoy by running a tacky promotion :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Sad day, but I also question you guys for not adding any party to this dreary event.

There are at least 20 instances of Vulcan up at this time and there are roughly 5 Dentals online. Give it time.

• Locked thread