Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Not nearly as much poo poo changes under Linux and OS X in a given period of time as does on Windows. Some things need dependencies to resolve first, maybe a kernel update here or there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Collateral Damage posted:

Hah, I did the same when we decommissioned our previous file server. I get a "Ok to go, all user home directories have been migrated, just turn it off and toss the disks in the shredder".

I got a gut feeling and stuck a USB disk in the server and made a copy of all the user data just to be sure. It's saved my (and the users') rear end four times in the past two months.

For big changes you should really have a documented approval process. At my last gig we had Change Requests where techs would list steps and techs, tech leads and management would sign-off.

If something went wrong you have a trail.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

You may be interested in such classic IT tales as "The Speed-Up Loop" if you think doing Daily WTF-worthy half-assing of your job to "manage expectations" is a valid or valuable strategy.

Are you referring to this? The Speed-Up Loop

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Oh hey, the ol XML archive folder is getting pretty full. Not too bad, only 15,000 files or so. I'll just grab 10,000 or so doot de doo shift-click shift-click shift del GOOD loving BYE EXPLORER.EXE FOR 30 MINUTES

It boggles the mind that Microsoft can release a supposed 64 bit operating system that chokes on its own vomit as soon as you try to delete more than 5000 files or so.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Scaramouche posted:

Oh hey, the ol XML archive folder is getting pretty full. Not too bad, only 15,000 files or so. I'll just grab 10,000 or so doot de doo shift-click shift-click shift del GOOD loving BYE EXPLORER.EXE FOR 30 MINUTES

It boggles the mind that Microsoft can release a supposed 64 bit operating system that chokes on its own vomit as soon as you try to delete more than 5000 files or so.

TBF, routinely deleting 5000+ files manually is an odd thing to do given the prevalence of software that can do that on a scheduled basis for you.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

This is a fresh install of windows 8.1
Linux was the same amount of time out of date, I ran apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y and that was it, fully updated.
I did a fresh install of OSX10.9.0 a year or so ago and updated to 10.9.5 with a single click and one reboot, no more updates.

Why is windows so lovely at this?

OSX is just as lovely if you miss firmware updates, and may require multiple reboots.

Windows updates are a problem because there are a lot more of them than Apple's, fixing much smaller issues than the omnibus "OSX 10.9.X. update" that you tend to get. And unlike Linux, Windows doesn't track things per-file, or necessary synchronously. So you get two different teams working on fixes to some of the same files at the same time. They all land eventually, but the deltas are interesting.

Kazinsal posted:

Not nearly as much poo poo changes under Linux and OS X in a given period of time as does on Windows. Some things need dependencies to resolve first, maybe a kernel update here or there...

An absolute ton changes in Linux (and OSX, though most of it isn't visible in the userland and you don't see it). There are more package updates on the average Ubuntu/Fedora install on a weekly basis than there are Windows updates.

On a pretty average Fedora install (the laptop I'm on right now), there have been 135 package updates in the last week.

Tab8715 posted:

Are you referring to this? The Speed-Up Loop

Yep.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Congrats Dick Trauma!

poo poo pissing me off: The interaction of OSX, my macbook pro, a Dell monitor and HDMI.

I just started a new job and got a rMBP, and since this is a hyped tech company, 2 27" monitors. Our office wifi is not very good (i got dropped like 5 times in as many minutes in one meeting), so I got a Thunderbolt ethernet adapter. The 27"ers are Dell so they don't do Thunderbolt, only MiniDP - if they were Apple displays they'd a) do thunderbolt and GbE built-in and b) be glossy as gently caress. So, one monitor is plugged in to thunderbolt, the other on HDMI.

For some reason (probably just to spite me), the HDMI monitor won't work if I wake the computer from screensaver - just the built-in display and the MiniDP display. Solution? Unplug and plug in the HDMI connector. I'm soooo looking forward to getting a thunderbolt hub.

Also pissing me off: my wireless gaming mouse they provided is stuttering and not actually tracking the pointer. But it's got like 700 butans so I've got that going for me.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So for years at work, new software that people wanted to use was generally done by some simple steps:
1. Group makes request for software to IT.
2. Software evaluation is handed to applications team, which does research and collects documentation.
3. Build/Test is approved, software is deployed on test server or specific workstations, they work with networking/security to manage acls and ports.
4. Software deployed.
5. Everyone drinks.

This has gone haywire on a few things lately, generally for really dumb reasons. For instance, a user has a request to remotely manage HVAC systems at their location, and in the future, their other branches. Here is how the steps have gone this far:
1. Group makes request for software to IT.
2. Software evaluation languishes in backlog of someone until user asks what is up. Manager of a completely different department says they will take care of it for some reason.
3. Project is handed to me. I have to call the vendor to actually find out what exactly I'm looking for. I collect the software and get some documentation. Network wise we are already good for this, the DMZ's are set.
4. I tell Project Management what I've found, and that they need to assign it to the department with the word Applications in their name.
5. PM department sends me an email next week asking for a status.
6. I repeat that I don't manage this software, and have no way to install it.
7. I receive a email next week asking for an update. I ignore this.
8. PM finally reads message, they assign it to one of our tier 2 support people, he can't do anything since he also doesn't have the ability to spin up a new VM.
9. PM assigns it to another person in that department.
10. That department supervisor tells the PM to piss off, he'll assign this project when they have time. Software install will happen sometime before heat death of universe.
11. Everyone drinks and calls PM people idiots.

The request for this software came in around late September last year.

Also, grats DT, you deserve it.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 27, 2015

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

happy :yotj: DT!

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

ratbert90 posted:

This is a fresh install of windows 8.1
Linux was the same amount of time out of date, I ran apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y and that was it, fully updated.
I did a fresh install of OSX10.9.0 a year or so ago and updated to 10.9.5 with a single click and one reboot, no more updates.

Why is windows so lovely at this?

Potentially because there's an infinite number of iterations of hardware and software interacting with it?

Im much more furious whenever apple anything hangs or breaks or crashes because it's so commoditized that any failure feels unacceptable to me.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
gently caress yes DT.

Content: I just spent 20 minutes of my life resetting the password of someone's skype account. This is what I hate about my job: I'm expected to handle this type of thing.

Don't get me started on AppleID accounts.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
:slick: gently caress yeah, DT! :slick:

Pissing me off and vaguely IT related, my computer keeps intermittently losing internet connection. Sometimes for only a few seconds at a stretch, sometimes for hours, and no amount of resetting the computer or the router itself seems to alleviate it. The Wi-Fi continues uninterrupted throughout, and my dad hasn't noticed any interruptions in his own connection either. The only thing I can think of that it could be is a fault in the ethernet cord going to my computer specifically, but it'll start working just fine with no actions on my part. If it does it again I'm gonna replace the cord and see if that fixes it, but what the christ? It was working fine up till two days ago.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 27, 2015

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:slick: gently caress yeah, DT! :slick:

Pissing me off and vaguely IT related, my computer keeps intermittently losing internet connection. Sometimes for only a few seconds at a stretch, sometimes for hours, and no amount of resetting the computer or the router itself seems to alleviate it. The Wi-Fi continues uninterrupted throughout, and my dad hasn't noticed any interruptions in his own connection either. The only thing I can think of that it could be is a fault in the ethernet cord going to my computer specifically, but it'll start working just fine with no actions on my part. If it does it again I'm gonna replace the cord and see if that fixes it, but what the christ? It was working fine up till two days ago.

Broken cord along with something interfering, either some appliance turning on causing electromagnetic interference (that's what it's called right?) or a bend somewhere that is being pushed back and forth. That would be my guess. Try a new cord, just run it out in the open until you know that is the fault. Make it pretty afterwards.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
EM interference is the term, I believe, yes. But the microwave is literally on the other end of the apartment, way too far away to interfere with anything, and we only use properly shielded cords anyway. The router did get jerked down off the shelf the other day when a cat zigged instead of zagging behind the entertainment center, maybe that's when it broke. Next time it does it, I'll replace it and report back; at least it waited till the week I get paid to act up :confuoot:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Today a bunch of redundant resources have their last day, and they get to keep their company iPhone, which I have to wipe before they go (yeah yeah I know they can have iClouds and iTunes backups and all that stuff, but it's management mandated and I just follow orders)

So far 7 out of the 7 people who have come to have their phone wiped have asked "Will everyting be gone? But what about my text messages? But what about my pictures? Can you take a backup of it and put it on a memory stick for me? Can't you only wipe the work-related parts?"

Some of these are of course relevant questions, but their management and supervisors were supposed to prepare them for this, so that I don't have to spend my time disappointing them and arguing even more with them on their last day at the company!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I wonder what it's going to close now.

This belongs here because I had to do it now in the middle of workday due to our IT scheduled updates.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
It took me a little while to catch up on the thread since I've been sick for the last few weeks, but I'm glad I did - congrats DT!

In other news, this winter has made me begin to be more serious in considering the logistics of moving south to Florida (helped along a little bit by a Youtube channel of a guy who lives in Jupiter, FL and posts weekly videos of him fishing, crabbing, free-diving and cooking). If I had $45k saved up right now I'd be gone in a flash and to hell with worrying about finding an IT job immediately. Of course, there are some jobs requiring Secret security clearances in Melbourne, FL that looks promising.

I have five more months on my apartment lease, but by August I should have $5k in savings and around $7500 in total debt, and that might be a good enough status to start applying seriously.

Pengurawr
Aug 11, 2012
yeah.
I don't know what to put here.
Macbook Pros that wont let you login if it went to sleep mode is whats pissing me off today. :argh:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

After a year and a half from the implementation, the customer finally tested the functionality and found it acceptable.

Ticket closed!

:edit

also, regarding the Comic Sans chat that happened some time ago (when I started reading the count on this thread for me was in thousands) - a colleague of mine did that when the boss told him that he didn't like the choice of font used, when creating some kind of report.

Comic Sans was the next step, and next one was Edwardian Script ITC. Afterwards Arial was met with relief.

canis minor fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 27, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

For big changes you should really have a documented approval process. At my last gig we had Change Requests where techs would list steps and techs, tech leads and management would sign-off.

If something went wrong you have a trail.
Oh, we do have change management. The core issue here is basically we're a huge international company with dozens of management layers and multiple IT teams in different countries that rarely get to speak directly to each other. I could follow the trail and make a fuss, but it would just die in some middle manager's inbox. I just solve the problem at hand instead.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Daylen Drazzi posted:

In other news, this winter has made me begin to be more serious in considering the logistics of moving south to Florida (helped along a little bit by a Youtube channel of a guy who lives in Jupiter, FL and posts weekly videos of him fishing, crabbing, free-diving and cooking). If I had $45k saved up right now I'd be gone in a flash and to hell with worrying about finding an IT job immediately. Of course, there are some jobs requiring Secret security clearances in Melbourne, FL that looks promising.

Have you ever spent any time in that area in the height of summer? If you're not already used to high humidity heat, I would maybe take a trip there in June or July to see if you think you can stand it. I live in the Pacific Northwest and I would describe the experience of visiting Orlando in the middle of summer as "miserable."

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Che Delilas posted:

Have you ever spent any time in that area in the height of summer? If you're not already used to high humidity heat, I would maybe take a trip there in June or July to see if you think you can stand it. I live in the Pacific Northwest and I would describe the experience of visiting Orlando in the middle of summer as "miserable."

It's like every part of you sticks to every other part of you and god help you if your brand of BO carries even a little because no amount of deoderant will stop it completely. Snow is a giant pain logistically but at least you don't burn your hands when you try to touch your steering wheel in your oven car.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

EM interference is the term, I believe, yes. But the microwave is literally on the other end of the apartment, way too far away to interfere with anything, and we only use properly shielded cords anyway. The router did get jerked down off the shelf the other day when a cat zigged instead of zagging behind the entertainment center, maybe that's when it broke. Next time it does it, I'll replace it and report back; at least it waited till the week I get paid to act up :confuoot:

There's been an annoying issue with Intel WLAN NICs where the default config for N causes problems: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm

But if it's capable of being affected by the microwave, then I doubt it's N broadcast.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Congrats DT!

Personally, I finally have a quiet day at work, but I'm so exhausted from the preceding days that it's hard to muster up the energy to catch up on my backlog.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lightning Jim posted:

There's been an annoying issue with Intel WLAN NICs where the default config for N causes problems: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm

But if it's capable of being affected by the microwave, then I doubt it's N broadcast.

You can do N over 2.4GHz.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Eldercain posted:

It's like every part of you sticks to every other part of you and god help you if your brand of BO carries even a little because no amount of deoderant will stop it completely. Snow is a giant pain logistically but at least you don't burn your hands when you try to touch your steering wheel in your oven car.

Yeah, I get both of those extremes here outside of Toronto.

-40c Winters and 40c humid summers!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Not something I had to that pissed me off, but I'm sitting in on the second webinar by a guy at our company. He's got a hipster beard/mustache and his slides are filled with kittens, zombies, and lolspeak. He just said "pwned" a minute ago. I don't know if he thinks his mspaints of kittens with devil horns and putting "lol" on slides and purposefully misspelling words is cute or funny, but it's not. Well, the twenty-something girly girl is laughing, but that's it.

Edit: We're a software development/services company. The devs are working on rewriting our desktop apps to be web/cloud based solutions. It's an internal only webinar about threat modeling. Today's analogy is protecting your kittens from zombies in a zombie apocalypse.
VVVVVVVVVVVV

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 27, 2015

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

GI_Clutch posted:

Not something I had to that pissed me off, but I'm sitting in on the second webinar by a guy at our company. He's got a hipster beard/mustache and his slides are filled with kittens, zombies, and lolspeak. He just said "pwned" a minute ago. I don't know if he thinks his mspaints of kittens with devil horns and putting "lol" on slides and purposefully misspelling words is cute or funny, but it's not. Well, the twenty-something girly girl is laughing, but that's it.

Dudes getting so much tang with his wicked sweet webinars.

(Seriously, what do you do that this is even acceptable?)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
There's a line between keeping things fun and interesting and being douchy. That guy probably left the line far behind, but let's not forget how to have fun.

Also, her opinion probably counts for more than everyone else's put together (except possibly the manager)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Oh dear, I think my Dell tech is having a bad day:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

Oh dear, I think my Dell tech is having a bad day:

That man/women hates their job.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was just on LinkedIn and saw that my old dead-eyed boss visited my profile yesterday. :mrgw:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Eldercain posted:

Pretty much. What sticks out in my memory the most is just how FAST it happens. The second you step out the door, BAM, flop sweat over every inch of you, and I'm not exaggerating for effect here - it was literally one second. I'd much rather have the occasional aggressive dryness that we get up here in winters, you can put lotion on if you need to.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Motivation update: Popeye's has restorative powers. I kicked rear end this afternoon.

Dick Trauma posted:

I was just on LinkedIn and saw that my old dead-eyed boss visited my profile yesterday. :mrgw:

I hope you had your new title on it already.

guppy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 27, 2015

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK
poo poo that was irritating today, Vendor panicked and sent over an order of tapes, at 4pm, on a Friday, without telling anyone.

My colleague got a phonecall saying 'oh we're ten minutes away'. Good Job there was two of us in the office.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

guppy posted:

Motivation update: Popeye's has restorative powers. I kicked rear end this afternoon.

I hope you had your new title on it already.

Yup! I added the new job and it alerted everyone in my network. All my old bosses are in it so they all saw it and that's what prompted him to click.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pissing me off: departments that don't use our established Support processes.

I've had four different, very basic customer issues completely skip our entire support organization to be dumped in engineering's lap in the last few days.

This causes a mad scramble as engineering drops everything because when a case gets up to them, it's A Big loving Deal. It delays feature work and causes crunch time for our engineers. It's expensive and, frankly, takes longer than if it just went through Support in the first place.

We have a two hundred and fifty person call center full of people whose entire job is to figure out what they can fix and what needs to be escalated. Two hundred and fifty people across three tiers of support who could have fixed any of these problems in 10 minutes.

Instead, we have engineering stop everything they're doing, flurries of emails that include five goddamned departments and 30 people, and VPs breathing down my neck about this stuff when the issue is, basically, a non-issue at all.

Great example: customer had one of his upload jobs fail. Diagnosis: customer rebooted the system in the middle of the upload

Nothing we could have done to prevent that, and it could have been diagnosed in 10 minutes by support.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

mobby_6kl posted:

I wonder what it's going to close now.

This belongs here because I had to do it now in the middle of workday due to our IT scheduled updates.

Java has always been bitchy to me every single time I try to reinstall it, guess it had to bitch with you even if he didn't find anything, sort of like the police does heh. But really are you sure you don't have any hidden process open? It shouldn't behave like that.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Eldercain posted:

Snow is a giant pain logistically but at least you don't burn your hands when you try to touch your steering wheel in your oven car.

You can tell us '80s Florida kids because we're the ones with the logo of our moms' cars permanently branded onto our hands from the metal seat belt buckles. :v: That said, I'll take that any day over snow. Water freezing outside all by itself is some kind of unnatural voodoo witchcraft and I don't like it one bit, no sir. :colbert:

Che Delilas posted:

I'd much rather have the occasional aggressive dryness that we get up here in winters, you can put lotion on if you need to.

When the humidity drops below 50%, my nose starts bleeding and my fingers turn to sandpaper. :( I'm pretty sure if I ever traveled to the Southwest I'd dry up and collapse into a pile of dust as soon as I stepped outside. Even the winters here in Atlanta are too loving cold and dry for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Che Delilas posted:

I've been to Florida a number of times during the summer, albeit as a child, teenager and young adult, and frankly I don't recall it being any better or worse than here in the armpit of Ohio in summer. The biggest attractor to Melbourne however is that it sits right there on the Atlantic Ocean (and it has a military base there with some job postings), so I expect there will be an opportunity to cool off just minutes away. Frankly, doesn't bother me at all - I'm a fat man, so I sweat no matter what. I can deal so long as I have a fan or air moving. And so long as winters don't drop below 50 degrees I'll be a happy happy man. Hell, even if it gets to freezing I'll still be okay with it, since the temp is going to go up from that point, not start at it.