Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CornHolio posted:

Really though, how useful is the backseat of a modern Mustang? I mean, is it "kids will be cramped" or is it small but functional?

I really, really don't like the look of the new Charger or I'd have that on the list as well.
It makes an almost decent cargo shelf.
Otherwise...not so useful.

And you have to get the cargo past the front seat in the first place.

Its a lot like the trunk. Plenty of space, tony opening. I semi-jokingly call it good for holding a ton of toothpicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

CornHolio posted:

Really though, how useful is the backseat of a modern Mustang? I mean, is it "kids will be cramped" or is it small but functional?

I really, really don't like the look of the new Charger or I'd have that on the list as well.

I find them pretty usable in the 197. I used to commute 40 min with 3 other guys and we would use one guys mustang occasionally. At 5'11" I didn't find it too bad. Not amazing but not bad. And in my girlfriends 197 we fit 2 265/something/18s in the trunk and 285/something/18s in the back seat. I feel like peoples requirements for back seats are getting bigger and bigger. poo poo I'm not that old and when I was a kid I rode everywhere in the sideways back seats of one of those old baby Nissan pick up trucks.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 27, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sadi posted:

I find them pretty usable in the 197. I used to commute 40 min with 3 other guys and we would use one guys mustang occasionally. At 5'11" I didn't find it too bad. Not amazing but not bad. And in my girlfriends 197 we fit 2 265/something/18s in the trunk and 285/something/18s in the back seat. I feel like people requirements for back seats it getting bigger and bigger. poo poo I'm not that old and when I was a kid I rode everywhere in the sideways back seats of one of those old baby Nissan pick up trucks.

You uh... might have grown a little since you were a kid

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

PCOS Bill posted:

You uh... might have grown a little since you were a kid

Been wearing the same size since the 7th grade. :smug:

Nobody fits in those seats, though.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Right. I sure as hell couldn't fit it it when I got older. It's just that it seems like unless you have a back seat as big as a 5 series' these days then it isn't fit for humans.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Back in my Junior year of high school, one of the girls in my group of friends had an S10 pickup with the middle facing rear jumper seats. I was all of 5' 5", 110lb back then, and my best friend was 5' 10", 250lb of football playing fat man. We used to comically jam ourselves back there for multi-hour drives to the mountains, beaches, etc with our knees in the other guys face.

It was the best/worst.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

There's pictures floating around of two front facing child seats installed in the back of challengers with three kids grinning ear to ear - so the Challengers can't be that cramped. I'm seriously tempted - especially since they come is wicked colours like sublime.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

McTinkerson posted:

There's pictures floating around of two front facing child seats installed in the back of challengers with three kids grinning ear to ear - so the Challengers can't be that cramped. I'm seriously tempted - especially since they come is wicked colours like sublime.

Challenger Scat Pack in sublime is top-o-my-list right now.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Sadi posted:

I find them pretty usable in the 197. I used to commute 40 min with 3 other guys and we would use one guys mustang occasionally. At 5'11" I didn't find it too bad. Not amazing but not bad.

I've had people in the back seat of mine without issue. I think 5'8 and 160lb is probably the upper limit on size though with a normal-sized dude in the front seat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What I've found, especially with two-doors, is ingress/egress rather than total space. Getting in to the back seat of my 1-series was a pain in the rear end, but once back there, I fit fine - 5'10 170.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My 5 year old doesn't comfortably fit into the backseat of our 500, and he's 55lb. That said, the only way to get our car seat back there is through the rear hatch with one side of the back seat folded down.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Scrambles posted:

I just had a new fusion titanium ecoboost as a rental and it was horrible. Felt like a coffin inside with the huge pillars and small windows, zero feedback from steering or brakes, automatic trans was slow as hell, engine was unresponsive, didn't ride much better than my lowered subaru, wallowed in the corners, didn't find the interior or infotainment ergonomic at all... I know it's just a boring sedan but it's the first new Ford I've driven and I guess I was expecting more given all the enthusiast praise they've been receiving and the fact that this wasn't some bullshit low-spec rental trim. Is this at all representative of the rest of their range?

Huh, I had the opposite feeling. Small windows and larger pillars - sure. But out of the midsize crew I think the brakes and handling are pretty darn good. Steering actually has some weight compared to the competition. Maybe not Mazda6 good, but easily better than the Accords, Altimas, and Camrys of the world. The trans in drive is a little slow, but in sport either auto shifting or using the paddles it felt good. The engine feels really responsive to me. It's one of the better engines in the class.

I'll give you the infotainment though. MFT - while better - still isn't class leading at all.

Maybe it was just a lovely rental example? I really enjoy the Fusion Ti tbh.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What I've found, especially with two-doors, is ingress/egress rather than total space. Getting in to the back seat of my 1-series was a pain in the rear end, but once back there, I fit fine - 5'10 170.

Same in my E46 coupe. The back seats are surprisingly comfortable, even at 5'11, 170. I wouldn't necessarily want to do a 12-hour road trip back there, but for around town or even a couple hours it's fine. Other the the in/out being a bit tougher, they really aren't much worse than the E46 sedan.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Why? Why is Dodge limiting Hellcats to 1 per dealer per month? Are they artisan hand crafted?

http://www.goo.gl/zdKbqT

quote:

FCA US is warning potential buyers that some of its Dodge-brand dealers are cheating them, accepting deposits for more of the high performance Hellcat models than the dealers ever are likely to have.

Dodge says the maximum any dealer can get is one per month, either a Charger Hellcat or a Challenger Hellcat, but not one of each.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Dealers are scum, water is wet, news at 11.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Why? Why is Dodge limiting Hellcats to 1 per dealer per month? Are they artisan hand crafted?

http://www.goo.gl/zdKbqT

Artificial supply shortages VS high demand

blk
Dec 19, 2009
April Fools Day is a month away but today I found out Costco is going to be marketing a Kirkland Signature Silverado: http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/costco-will-sell-a-kirkland-signature-chevy-silverado-1688925547/+travis

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

blk posted:

April Fools Day is a month away but today I found out Costco is going to be marketing a Kirkland Signature Silverado: http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/costco-will-sell-a-kirkland-signature-chevy-silverado-1688925547/+travis

Finally, somewhere for the paper towels!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

it'll probably only come in 3 packs, and i don't know if i could even use that much silverado.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For the full Costco experience it needs to be completely debadged from anything GM, but still have plenty of GM-reminiscent styling cues next to every big KIRKLAND SIGNATURE logo.

Also, I need to be able to return it no questions asked for a full refund when the interior goes all Das Volk on me.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Just don't abuse the poo poo out of it and you'll be fine.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
new Lamborghini Aventador SV

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/03/lamborghini-aventador-sv-gets-tougher-tighter-and-lighter.html

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nnnnnnnnnnnghhhhhhhhh. I need to buy a lottery ticket.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It's alright, but what does it get for mpg? :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Scotch posted:

Multiple. definitely multiple MPGs

the regular aventador is rated 11/18, that's not bad.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

El Scotch posted:

1b smiles a gallon

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

Multiple. definitely multiple MPGs

the regular aventador is rated 11/18, that's not bad.

I'm pretty sure it's worst-in-class. Hellcat Charger gets 13/22, that's like 20% better.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm pretty sure it's worst-in-class. Hellcat Charger gets 13/22, that's like 20% better.

The hellcat charger is a boring commuter shitbox.

The bugatti veyron is 8/15 with only 300 more horsepower. The ferrari F12 or FF is 11/16. the V12 vantage is 12/18.

So, for a 700hp naturally aspirated V12 awd car, that's not bad.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ford Australia announced the pricing for the new Mustang.

45K + onroads for the Ecoboost base model w/ manual
55K + onroads for the GT w/manual.

this undercuts the WRX, GTI, Megane 265, and a bunch of other hot hatches (currently australias sporty cars)

the GT beats the 370Z, Lexus RC-whatever and something else I forget because I am thinking of how I can get a nice lump sum together by the time they are available.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Koenigsegg bringing the heat.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tekne posted:

Jesus. :stare:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Throatwarbler posted:

No offense, but this is the most Throatwarbler thing ever and it made me laugh :)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Tekne posted:

I want to believe...

The term "brain-flattening" comes to mind.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tekne posted:

Regera (verb)

1. to rule, to be in government.

:getin:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Anyone post pictures of the new Lincoln Continental? poo poo looks baller and has suicide doors.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tekne posted:

1800bhp. :eyepop:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/koenigsegg-regera-revealed-geneva-motor-show-2015-03-03

I also love that the wheels are basically biohazard symbols.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

88h88 posted:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/koenigsegg-regera-revealed-geneva-motor-show-2015-03-03

The combined output and speed is obviously awesome, but I think the drivetrain setup they're using is definitely the most interesting part for me:

quote:

Then there's the drivetrain: Koenigsegg's proven 5.0-litre twin-turbo V8 sits proudly in the middle, pumping out a healthy 1100bhp alone, direct to the rear wheels.

But instead of being attached to a normal transmission, the Regera uses something called the Koenigsegg Direct Drive system. There's a small, crank-mounted electric motor to fill the torque gap (and act as a starter motor) together with a hydraulic coupling.

Each rear wheel then gets its own electric motor, and we're told that triplet of electric motors amounts to around 700bhp alone. Christian tells us that from take-off, with the coupling open, you power off purely on electric drive, with no need for a gearbox. As soon as it gains a few more revs, the hydraulic coupling begins to close, and the smaller crank-mounted electric motor joins in to help the bottom part of the torque curve.

And then finally, once the engine gets up to speed, that kicks in from around 30mph upwards. "We managed to take a heavy, expensive lump out of the equation [the transmission], without sacrificing the ability of the combustion engine to provide drive to the rear wheels," Christian tells TG.

The boffins at Koenigsegg are doing some ridiculously cool stuff, what with their valveless cam system and this bonkers transmission setup.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

88h88 posted:

Christian von Koenigsegg is a loving wizard and I love him. "Do we really need transmissions? Pfft, nope!"

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well anyway back to cars that people actually like, Sergio confirms that the FIAT Miata will be called the 124 Spider.

http://jalopnik.com/confirmed-fiats-miata-based-roadster-will-be-called-12-1689131898

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyone post pictures of the new Lincoln Continental? poo poo looks baller and has suicide doors.
Do you mean this pic that's been going around? It's a year old (on imgur anyway, possibly older) and it's sadly just a fan render.