Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sex Weirdo posted:

I'm guessing there's no chance this can legally be imported to the US?

You could import it but you can't register it and actually use it. Basically it's exactly that that black Ferrari X or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
I don't think you could even do that. You might be able to bring it over using the race car exemption, since the Type RA was kind of a homologation special, but then it'll never see public roads again.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

Here's the CL ad if anyone knows someone in Vancouver looking for a car.

Gorgeous.

Please post some of the idiotic inquiries you get from this.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I replaced my original tie rod ends and ball joints with RCA versions at 87k miles. I'm about to go back to stock ride height, so I'll be going back to stock tie rod ends and ball joints.

My question: if they look OK, should I reuse my original tie rod ends and ball joints, or would it be a good idea to purchase new OEM parts regardless? Are these parts that typically wear out and need to be replaced around this mileage?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Brother's new car

Any suggestions for him once the mod bug bites?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Park in a single marked spot?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Show him these and tell him not to be a loving idiot:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2689512

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=43122674#post43122674

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/warranty-service-issues/277951-2015-sti-rod-knock.html

tl;dr Retard buys new car, puts intake on it and disregards tons of advice, gets rod knock, is surprised.

Then tell him to pick one (just one) spot and park in it.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 27, 2015

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Bajaha posted:

[ ] Not WRXed
[X] WRXed

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Splinter posted:

I replaced my original tie rod ends and ball joints with RCA versions at 87k miles. I'm about to go back to stock ride height, so I'll be going back to stock tie rod ends and ball joints.

My question: if they look OK, should I reuse my original tie rod ends and ball joints, or would it be a good idea to purchase new OEM parts regardless? Are these parts that typically wear out and need to be replaced around this mileage?

You don't need change out the RCA kit if you don't want to do the work - it'll work at stock ride height, it just won't be optimal. Personally, I wouldn't put old ball joints back in. They are an important piece of your suspension and they are a wear item.

amenenema posted:

Brother's new car

Any suggestions for him once the mod bug bites?

Driver mod. Do some autocrosses

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Spicy Guacamole posted:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/warranty-service-issues/277951-2015-sti-rod-knock.html

tl;dr Retard buys new car, puts intake on it and disregards tons of advice, gets rod knock, is surprised.

Wait, these things are tuned so tightly that a CAI and off the shelf tune made it knock? :laffo:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I think the key piece was that the intake he installed did not have its own off-the-shelf tune available, so instead of getting it tuned by somebody who knows what they're doing, he put an OTS tune on it for a different product and ignored the very specific "don't use this with something else" warning... and welp!

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

Wait, these things are tuned so tightly that a CAI and off the shelf tune made it knock? :laffo:

Something about how turbulence from a poorly designed intake can mess with the MAF and cause the engine to run too lean. Cobb OTS tune + Cobb intake works, SPT intake + stock tune works, any intake + pro tune works, any thing else is asking for poor A/F ratios and detonation. That said, the stock intake flows just fine, the exhaust + tune first if you want power

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Neptr posted:

Something about how turbulence from a poorly designed intake can mess with the MAF and cause the engine to run too lean. Cobb OTS tune + Cobb intake works, SPT intake + stock tune works, any intake + pro tune works, any thing else is asking for poor A/F ratios and detonation. That said, the stock intake flows just fine, the exhaust + tune first if you want power

MAF based systems are very finicky in this sense, everything needs to tuned for. Metering the air right past the filter has it's drawbacks. MAP based cars you can gently caress around with the intake and bov all you want and you'll be alright in 90+% cases.

The stock tunes on subies also have some emissions related woes that really pop up once you start throwing parts at it that can cause you to run lean, like the open/closed loop transition and rear O2 issues and boost creep when going catless, and in general they just seem a lot less receptive to redneck modifications than some other cars (srt4 "neon" comes to mind)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Depends on the intake too. Spt one sucks and is just as likely to cause problems. Aem and the new k&n generally work best. However I try to discourage people from getting an intake unless a downpipe and tune go with it.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 28, 2015

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
From what I understand, the MAF measures air as it passes by, but you have to adjust the scale so that it matches the diameter of the intake tube. So if you go from a 2" to a 2.5" intake, the MAF is going to underestimate the amount of air that is making its way by if you don't adjust the scaling via a tune.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Right, which is why any bolt on intake is going to have the same diameter tubing as stock. The problem is that it doesn't mean you're going have the exact same amount of air due to differences in the shape of the tubing and such. Also when max out the maf with bigger turbos then you can use a bigger tube.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Bajaha posted:

Apparently that's where it was sitting when he arrived at the dealership. Note the abundance of Subarus behind it.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/4889898669.html

So this is a bad idea for a play around beater, right? I kind of want to learn more about subarus without ruining my already tired wrx.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Spicy Guacamole posted:

This is amazing.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Threads like these make me irrationally paranoid. I just ran outside to check my oil level. Heh, still full :smugdog:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Mercury Ballistic posted:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/4889898669.html

So this is a bad idea for a play around beater, right? I kind of want to learn more about subarus without ruining my already tired wrx.

This is a great start. (except its an auto :v:)

The best "I want to start loving around with cheap subarus" is a beater impreza.

When you go with older poo poo, everyone wants $$$$$$ for the 98-01 RS, which is retarded because they're all 2.5L's that are beat on and on deaths door. Plan for a remotor with a babied outback or forester motor AND pay 4-5k for the privilege.

OR like you are looking at, is way cheaper, takes all the same parts, and has a 2.2 which you can use weasel piss for engine oil and bounce the rev limiter all day and it'll be fine. (bonus of the hatch is you can stand 4 tires up vertically in the back, perfect for doing a rallycross)

Ideal candidates are 2.2L awd imprezas that need a little work.

It really depends on how much work you want to do though. If you want to yard out a motor, then the 2002+ 2.5RS's are loving CHEAP when they need some work like headgaskets or a motor or a rusted out U brace. You get more motor and a 4.11 gearbox, wider car, better donor panel availability (kids crash wrx's every day), stiffer chassis, etc etc, but you will be monkeying with the driveline more than a 2.2 impreza don't give any fucks edition.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

You posted an outback sport, so I just have to chime in with how much I love mine. It fits a surprising amount of stuff (like a huge high-backed office chair with headrest), it's reliable, as good on gas as any AWD car can be, and it's fun to drive. Maybe less so if you're used to a WRX, but even if it's slow, it handles well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would straight up kill an innocent man to have my 97 Outback Sport back.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Yikes. I just need a place to put it and get the wife on board. Wish it was stick too though. Nice to hear all the good anecdotes though.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I'm going to look at this tonight:

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/4911066784.html

I see the red flags (exhaust, boost gauge, younger owner) but it's an 07 and the price is very good. I have a somewhat reliable daily and a place to do some work on it (small repairs and likely different exhaust).

Is there anything in particular I should look for?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Do a leak down. A compression test is not a leak down. Ringland failure can be hidden. The car can run fine and even have OK compression.
Find out what kind of tune is on it.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sudo Echo posted:

Has anyone ever done the reverse and put a Porsche flat 6 in a Subaru? That could be fun.

I've heard of guys up here in NH doing it to early 90s Legacys.

Apparently it's hilarious fun.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I was down almost a quart of oil when I changed it on the Saabaru today. Last time (3 months ago) was fine so I'm guessing something's started leaking since then - I haven't noticed any symptoms of burning. Common places to look? It's the EJ255.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

blk posted:

I was down almost a quart of oil when I changed it on the Saabaru today. Last time (3 months ago) was fine so I'm guessing something's started leaking since then - I haven't noticed any symptoms of burning. Common places to look? It's the EJ255.

I just had to replace the gasket on my pax side valve cover gasket and oil separator gasket for a slow leak.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

nm posted:

Do a leak down. A compression test is not a leak down. Ringland failure can be hidden. The car can run fine and even have OK compression.
Find out what kind of tune is on it.

Awesome, thanks.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would straight up kill an innocent man to have my 97 Outback Sport back.

This is part of why I'm conflicted about giving/selling mine to my younger brother when he turns 16 and getting something newer. I can't afford to insure two cars, at least not until I'm 25 and my rates drop. But it's such a good car. If I got something newer, it would probably be another impreza wagon. Is it easy to lift a normal wagon up to OBS height? I thought it was just the springs.

Bruinator
Jul 6, 2005
Installed my Group N mounts this weekend, thanks to everyone for the advice earlier. It was a pretty easy swap, took maybe two and a half hours all said and done. My '02 engine mounts were really thrashed and over a quarter inch shorter than the new ones from the rubber compressing over the last 220k miles. My trans mount wasn't tearing like the engine mounts but still practically jello compared to the group N mount. My pitch stop wasn't so hot either as the bushing on the big side was loose in the plastic.

I'm happy with the mounts so far. They're pretty much as billed - a little bit more noise and vibration across the board but only really noticeable at idle. My AC compressor has been making some noise recently and it's more noticeable now than before. I don't notice any more steering wheel or rearview mirror vibration than before and no added gear whine. The driveline feels tighter and the clutch feel has changed remarkably for the better since the engine's not flopping around anymore. Overall a really good improvement for a car with tired mounts and probably over the factory mounts in general.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
The Group N trans mount in my legacy has a pretty dramatic effect - way more boxer burble and mechanical gear meshing anger in higher revs. I think of it like a performance exhaust in terms of driver feedback.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This is part of why I'm conflicted about giving/selling mine to my younger brother when he turns 16 and getting something newer. I can't afford to insure two cars, at least not until I'm 25 and my rates drop. But it's such a good car. If I got something newer, it would probably be another impreza wagon. Is it easy to lift a normal wagon up to OBS height? I thought it was just the springs.

Yeah it's just the springs. You can also use Forester springs.

Foresters are strut and spring and body lift, Outback Sports are spring lift only AFAIK.

Scrambles posted:

The Group N trans mount in my legacy has a pretty dramatic effect - way more boxer burble and mechanical gear meshing anger in higher revs. I think of it like a performance exhaust in terms of driver feedback.

Yeah mine has been worthwhile. It's made some poo poo terrifying sounds on my unknown maintenance high miles TS though that I don't remember happening on my minty WRX with the same mount swap.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cool. Although I just found out they didn't stop making the OBS until 2011, so I could probably just get one of those instead of going to the trouble of modifying a normal impreza. It would be ever so slightly faster than the first gen, too.

I still think the first gen looks better, though. Put an EJ20t in that thing, put a tire holder on the back, I'd drive it until it fell apart.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Cool. Although I just found out they didn't stop making the OBS until 2011, so I could probably just get one of those instead of going to the trouble of modifying a normal impreza. It would be ever so slightly faster than the first gen, too.

I still think the first gen looks better, though. Put an EJ20t in that thing, put a tire holder on the back, I'd drive it until it fell apart.

You could also get a crosstrek or whatever that thing is called that's a lifted impreza with sweet wheels.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm not looking at anything that new. I'd be looking at early to mid '00s, I was just saying that they were made up to 2011, I thought they ended after the first generation.

Also, gently caress CVTs for anything but a pedestrian commuter car.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Welp. Random grinding noise on my way to work today. Not the motor definatley wheel related. Good thing its a 2014 I guess. Bring me my free flatbed.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
Whats the go to clutch kit for a 2009 forester? N/A 2.5 motor if memory serves correctly. Would I be good going with an Exedy kit? My girlfriends clutch poo poo the bed this week and need to find one for the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Exedy makes the stock clutch for subaru.

It should be EXEDY Part # KSB04, but verify elsewhere as I have no direct experience with 09 poo poo.