Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hasn't Labor's popularity tanked whenever they've done a unity coalition? Or am I thinking of Kadima/whatever Livni's split was called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Lum_ posted:

This is why some people are muttering about a Likud / Zionist Camp coalition,
In this scenario wouldn't that be headed by Herzog since they have the most votes? Netanyahu may hate slim coalitions but he also would hate not being PM

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I wouldn't put Yesh Atid solely on the left, despite everything I won't put it past them to go back to working with Bibi.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Is there a summary of the all the parties' policies somewhere?
Or if someone posted about it in the thread I'd be more than happy with a link to the post.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Eh, it wasn't that long ago the US attempted a colour revolution in Iran

I know this is the I/P thread so perhaps I shouldn't ask, but is that a typo? Have you bought the Iranian regime's line about democracy protestors being foreign Zionist agitators controlled by the mole people?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Is there a summary of the all the parties' policies somewhere?
Or if someone posted about it in the thread I'd be more than happy with a link to the post.

Quick and dirty version, in order of the most recent polling (I'd say feel free to add to the OP but it'll be obsolete in a couple weeks. Also I'm not Israeli, I just have friends there and follow the politics a lot because I work in game design and have a thing about crazy politics.)

Likud: Party currently in power, led by Benjamin Netanyahu. What will break your will to live is the knowledge that Netanyahu is one of the most moderate voices in the party. Most of the party is opposed to Palestinian statehood. In terms of domestic policy, very pro-business and Netanyahu oversaw the dismantling of a good part of Israel's safety net.

Zionist Union: A joint list between Labor (historically the dominant center-left Israeli party) and Hatnuah (Tzipi Livni's vanity party). Hatnuah wasn't polling very high at all before the joint list but apparently voters like Livni being paired with Labor's Herzog, because the list is consistently coming in first or second in the polls. As far as policy goes, not opposed to Palestinian statehood, but not likely to make it happen either (Livni, after all, was responsible for making little to no progress in negotiations under two different governments), but less right-wing in terms of economic issues. Or not. The problem is that neither Likud or Zionist Union really have a platform other than "the other guys are poopy heads". Livni did visit a gay dance club the other night and drunkenly go on about how they were so awesome, which is something I'd like to see more American politicians do, honestly.

Jewish Home (Habayit Hayahudi): Led by Naftali Bennett, this is the successor to the National Religious Party (the Orthodox Jews who support Zionism and Israel, as opposed to the Hareidim who think it's some kind of edgy fad like telephones and automobiles) and is trying to position itself as the "real right wing party in Israel" and expand its support to the secular right-wing voter who thinks Netanyahu just isn't hard core right-wing enough. However it still has many NRP types who think secular Israelis are heathens who tolerate the gays (a viral video which had Jewish Home MK candidates go on at length about how awful gay marriage is didn't go over well among generally LGBT-friendly secular Israelis). Supports outright annexing the good parts of the West Bank and keeping Palestinians penned up in bantustans. In terms of economic policy Bennett is your usual internet start-up executive who thinks capitalism fixes everything.

Arab Joint List: put together thanks to legislation specifically crafted to try to keep Arab parties out of the Knesset by raising the threshold higher than any of them individually poll, the irony of this election is that the Arab list may well be an actual force in the next Knesset. This will be challenging since the majority of the other parties refuse to ever engage with them, but it's impossible to see, for example, Zionist Union putting together a coalition without the Arab parties. In terms of policy they are all over the map as befits a group of parties united only by ethnicity, ranging from straight-up Communists (including Dov Khenin, the only Jewish member of the list and probably the most decent person in the Knesset) to Islamic theocrats. Also includes Hanin Zoabi, the bogeywoman of Israeli right-wingers everywhere who constantly call her a terrorist and demand she be outlawed and expelled because she says unreasonable things like "Israel should stop bombing the Palestinians" and "We were here before you guys" (to be fair, she is probably Israel's best troll and tries her best to piss them off)

Yesh Atid ("There Is A Future"): vanity party of Yair Lapid, and boy, does he have a ton of vanity to go around. Most people generally think he's an idiot. Netanyahu stuck him with the finance ministry last government and he got almost nothing done. However he looks very handsome on TV. Probably won't serve in a Netanyahu-run coalition because he quit in a huff causing the current election, but who knows, it's Yair Lapid, he could wake up tomorrow and join Likud. In case it isn't obvious already, this party has no actual positions that last longer than 10 minutes (or Yair Lapid's attention span, whichever is shorter)

Kulanu: vanity party of Moshe Kahlon, an ex-Likud member who was popular due to privatizing the mobile phone industry and lowering everyone's phone bill. Runs almost 100% on economic issues and it's a tossup what coalition he'd join.

Shas: one of the three Hareidi (ultra-Orthodox) parties running, Shas traditionally is the ethnic-Mizrahi party that says they stick up for the poorer sections of society but are chiefly concerned with making Shas members as much money as humanly possible. Its leader, Aryeh Deri, served several years in prison on corruption charges, caused a split in the party, quit in a drama-queen huff, was begged to come back, and did shortly thereafter, because c'mon. The success of Shas in Israeli politics is a good example of why Israeli politics needs to be burned to the ground by lasers from space.

United Torah Judaism: the mainstream Hareidi party, not as openly corrupt as Shas, but still quite concerned about what you did last night and do you plan on marrying her and don't even THINK about taking a bus next Saturday. Hareidi parties traditionally join whichever coalition promises them the most money and jobs. This is not a joke.

Yisrael Beitenu (Israel Our Home): party of Avigdor Lieberman and traditionally the party of ethnic Russians, which ran as a joint list with Likud last election, but has been in complete free-fall thanks to almost every high-level YB Knesset member being caught with their hand in the cookie jar just as the election started. Given how I've described corruption in the other parties, the fact that this level of corruption destroyed YB's chances should demonstrate how epic and blatant said corruption really was. Lieberman says that the corruption charges were orchestrated to destroy his party, which is probably true, but there's also the fact that many Russian immigrants have since assimilated and joined other parties.

Meretz: Meretz is the party everyone reading this thread would probably vote for. Very left wing, very pro peace, and one of the least popular parties in Israel today. There may be a connection here. May or may not get into the Knesset this year depending on how many of their voters live the dream and vote Zionist Union to kick Netanyahu out of office (won't they feel silly when Livni joins Netanyahu's coalition again!)

Yachad: Splinter party from Shas that Eli Yishai formed when Aryeh Deri kicked him out/he left righteously (depending on whom you talk to). Yishai is a truly awful person who during his time as interior minister was quoted as saying black migrants were filthy criminals who spread AIDS everywhere because just LOOK at them. In case he wasn't awful enough already he brought into his list Baruch Marzel, who is a straight-up unrepentant Kahanist (Israeli fascist). Like Meretz, skating on the edge of the threshold but will probably get in.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 25, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Saudi Arabia is prepared to let Israeli fighter jets use its airspace if it proves necessary to attack Iran’s nuclear program, an Israeli TV station reported Tuesday, highlighting growing ties in the shadow of Tehran’s nuclear drive.

Riyadh’s only condition is that Israel make some kind of progress in peace talks with the Palestinians, Channel 2 reported Tuesday, citing an unnamed senior European source.

“The Saudi authorities are completely coordinated with Israel on all matters related to Iran,” the European official in Brussels said.

Jerusalem and Riyadh do not have diplomatic ties, but unconfirmed reports have swirled for years of coordination between them against the common enemy of Iran, a partnership that may ramp up should the world powers reach a reportedly emerging deal that would allow Tehran to continue enriching some uranium.

The report claimed the Saudi authorities had made their position clear in various unspecified diplomatic discussions on the matter.

“The Saudis have declared their readiness for the Israeli Air Force to overfly Saudi air space en route to attack Iran if an attack is necessary,” the TV report said. All that they ask is “some kind of progress” on the Palestinian issue.

Being able to use Saudi airspace would allow Israeli planes a shortcut to reach Iran without having to fly around the Persian Gulf, taking up precious time and fuel.

According to the dispatch, Israel and Saudi Arabia also share intelligence on Iran’s nuclear program at a very intimate level and the Saudis are no less worried by details coming out of the Geneva talks than Israeli leaders, who have loudly spoken out against the talks.

Tuesday’s report comes amid increased tensions between the White House and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over how best to tackle Tehran’s nuclear program.

Britain, China, France, Russia, the United States and Germany — known as the P5+1 — have been seeking a comprehensive accord with Iran that would prevent Tehran from developing a nuclear bomb in return for an easing of economic sanctions.

Netanyahu has warned repeatedly that the Islamic Republic must not be allowed to acquire nuclear weapons, although Iranian officials insist the nuclear program is purely for civilian use.

There is a heightened sense of urgency as the clock ticks down towards a March 31 deadline to agree on a political framework for the deal.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/saudis-said-to-mull-air-passage-for-israeli-jets-to-attack-iran/#ixzz3SnhmDGVO

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So Israel is going to have to decide who they hate less...the Palestinians or the Iranians?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Maybe, odd that it's from a European source.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

So Israel is going to have to decide who they hate less...the Palestinians or the Iranians?

"Some kind of progress" is a very, very weak standard and doesn't necessarily imply actual improvement in the Palestinians' conditions.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah that's probably true, but I just find that idea funny

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I stumbled upon this in my research for the emigration post and I've been thinking all day about how to tie this to a witty comment or interesting point, but I just can't. It's just depressing.

quote:

Charles Lenchner realised how bad things had become in Israel when he asked his daughter, Esther, 8, what her favourite television show was. "She said her favourite programme was [the cartoon] Dexter's Lab," Mr Lenchner said. "When I asked why she said she would like to have a laboratory where she could make toys that were really bombs so that Arab children could take them home and blow up their families." Mr Lenchner, his mother and his sister moved to Tel Aviv from Pittsburgh in 1975 when he was aged six, a move spurred by his mother's Zionist views. He returned to the US 25 years later, confronted by evidence such as his daughter's comments of the hatred that exists in Israel and the occupied territories. "I was just so demoralised by the absence of hope," said Mr Lenchner, 34, who now lives in Washington. His daughter still lives in Israel with her mother. "I am now trying to get her to come to the US," he said. - Andrew Buncombe

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

"Some kind of progress" is a very, very weak standard and doesn't necessarily imply actual improvement in the Palestinians' conditions.

"We have decided to push back our next scheduled bombing raid of Gaza from September 2017 to January 2018 in order to comply with Saudi request."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cat Mattress posted:

"We have decided to push back our next scheduled bombing raid of Gaza from September 2017 to January 2018 in order to comply with Saudi request."

The system works!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

I stumbled upon this in my research for the emigration post and I've been thinking all day about how to tie this to a witty comment or interesting point, but I just can't. It's just depressing.

Jesus Christ. It's not that these things ought to surprise me, but still. :smithicide:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Bump

For those of you interested, Haaretz is live-blogging some electoral issues, including tonight's leadership debate (Israel is +7 hours from EST). Heads of most likely contenders are there --- "Avigidor Lieberman (Yisrael Beiteinu), Moshe Kahlon (Kulanu), Naftali Bennett (Habayit Hayehudi), Yair Lapid (Yesh Atid), Zehava Galon (Meretz), Ayman Odeh (Joint List), Arye Dery (Shas) and Eli Yishai (Yahad)" --- but neither Netanyahu nor Hertzog. :raise:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That's a shame. I think Werner Herzog would have stood a real chance at winning at the debates, which could have sprung him into the position as Prime Minister.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Banksy did a facebook share-bait video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e2dShY8jIo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Owns. :smithicide:

In Bibinews, All Bibi, All the Time, he's managed to lose AIPAC.

Yes, yes, that AIPAC.

:suspense:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Called it! :getin:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
drat, if loving AIPAC thinks you're being too brazen..

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
AIPAC is less pro-Israeli than it is pro-AIPAC, Finkelstein deals with something similar in "The Holocaust Industry" where he notes that the most prominent voices among the American jewry have only become vehemently pro-Israel once the American establishment became so. AIPAC, before their allegiances to Israel and Likud are primarily concerned with their own influence and prestige, Netanyahu has managed to go from bi-partisan consensus to non-partisan consensus and it would simply be too costly for AIPAC to stick with him.

At the end there isn't too much to read into all of this short of a stark remainder for future Israeli ego-maniac prime ministers that at the end of the day even AIPAC is first and foremost an American organization, and that once you ask Americans to take a piss at their president and their own long-term foreign policy goals after a while people would just prefer to distance themselves from you.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
AIPAC has gone to war with a President to try and enforce their own policies before. It's more likely they just don't see this as a good cross to die on.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
God I hope he permanently damages this relationship.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

Same. More Jews voted for Obama than voted for Netanyahu. Likud's leverage isn't nearly as strong as they think it is. One strong social movement, and the Jewish left and their approach to Palestine becomes a thing as far as the US is concerned, even if it isn't represented much at all in Israel.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Bibi's wife is insane. Disney villain insane.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/27/phone-transcript-reveals-sara-netanyahu-rant-at-political-rivals-wife

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I tear aside my ambiguously coloured dress to reveal an array of breasts. Small, large, round, square, bouncy, lumpen: they are united in their wondrous pinkness. They are crowned with rosebud nipples, standing proud on areolae the size of buttermilk pancakes. As I swivel my lush body, the nipples harden and extend into questing fingers of solid desirous flesh. Where do they point so accusingly? The locus of their attention is you. They seek to push your innermost button: to unleash the ultimate sexual satisfaction. Freeing myself from the lacy chains of my underpants, I begin to dance. My buttocks bounce; dewy peaches on the cusp of ripeness, leaking sweet ambrosia, the chasm between them darkly mysterious. My body is lithe and acrobatic as a tree frog's. My breasts are like sweet velvet. I sweat milk and honey. My frisky penis spins. It is time. Let us have sex.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Volkerball posted:

AIPAC has gone to war with a President to try and enforce their own policies before. It's more likely they just don't see this as a good cross to die on.

It's this. They're not dumping Netanyahu, but they're begging him to not do it since it's a terrible idea. They say they sent him a whole presentation about why it was a bad idea, he ignored them, but apparently they're worried enough about the political repercussions to go public telling him not to come. They're still on his side, they just think he's walking into an ambush.

quote:

“Some thought that they should directly implore Netanyahu to cancel his speech to Congress, to suggest alternatives to him. Such a move, however, would have run counter to AIPAC’s very DNA, since AIPAC is Netanyahu’s lobby and not the reverse. On the other hand, almost all the organization’s higher-ups were aware and convinced of the immensity of the damage that Netanyahu’s actions would bring to Israeli-American relations in the medium- and long-terms. It was hard for them to keep silent,” it said.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

בעזרת השם במהרה בימינו אמן.

:pray:

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

בעזרת השם במהרה בימינו אמן.

:pray:

"Hebrew detected". Man, Google is getting more sinister every day.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Sarah is seriously insane, I guess most non Israelis (and many Israelis, as I find out when I bring this up) forgot about this but back in the early 90s old chickenshit claimed he was getting blackmailed by some of his Likud colleagues who were in possession of a sex tape of him and some woman who wasn't Sarah, he effectively admitted that such a tape existed and that he did cheat on her, there are rather ardent rumors about certain agreements drafted by a divorce lawyer she hired that have been kept in secret to this very day, these rumors claim that she basically holds his balls in a vice grip and that he is effectively stuck with her for life.

Possibly related to these rumors is a story I never heard of which my father told me about just last week, now I'm not saying that this is by any means true but generally my father knows some people who are 'in the know' and this might contain a grain of truth (he also claims to have personally seen the Netanyahu sextape), that sometime in the 90s, possibly related to the sextape, Netayahu beat Sarah up quite profusely and that she's been blackmailing him ever since.

She's a poo poo stain of a person for sure, she also pretty much forbade Netanyahu from staying in touch with his daughter from his first marriage, there are practically no photos of the both of them together.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I enjoyed the transcribing journalist's judicious use of double exclamation marks. I presume that represents spittle flying as she raved into the phone.

It's going to be glorious if that recording drops.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Sarah is seriously insane, I guess most non Israelis (and many Israelis, as I find out when I bring this up) forgot about this but back in the early 90s old chickenshit claimed he was getting blackmailed by some of his Likud colleagues who were in possession of a sex tape of him and some woman who wasn't Sarah, he effectively admitted that such a tape existed and that he did cheat on her, there are rather ardent rumors about certain agreements drafted by a divorce lawyer she hired that have been kept in secret to this very day, these rumors claim that she basically holds his balls in a vice grip and that he is effectively stuck with her for life.

Possibly related to these rumors is a story I never heard of which my father told me about just last week, now I'm not saying that this is by any means true but generally my father knows some people who are 'in the know' and this might contain a grain of truth (he also claims to have personally seen the Netanyahu sextape), that sometime in the 90s, possibly related to the sextape, Netayahu beat Sarah up quite profusely and that she's been blackmailing him ever since.

She's a poo poo stain of a person for sure, she also pretty much forbade Netanyahu from staying in touch with his daughter from his first marriage, there are practically no photos of the both of them together.

poo poo I didn't know that! You'd think something like this would be common knowledge. Or at least on the internet.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
First Saudi Arabia secretly promises logistical support to Israel should it choose to attack Iran, and now Kurdistan is selling oil to Israel directly on the DL. Is Israel cementing a ``coalition of the willing to be dicks'' to keep itself rooted in the region, regardless of US support?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Miftan posted:

poo poo I didn't know that! You'd think something like this would be common knowledge. Or at least on the internet.

You seriously never heard of "הקלטת הלוהטת"? I'm not that old but I remember that poo poo was spoken about a lot in the early nineties... when I was like 7? obviously I didn't have any clue what they were actually talking about but it was a pretty big thing.

The domestic abuse one is really just a rumor anyway, as for his daughter, I actually googled a bit about her, turns out Bibs has two grandsons and that he attended the Bris for the second one and left 30 or so minutes after arriving, there are photos of him, Sarah and the two boys there but even those don't actually have Noa in the frame, so I guess there's at least some credence to the "Sarah loathes Noa" rumor.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You seriously never heard of "הקלטת הלוהטת"? I'm not that old but I remember that poo poo was spoken about a lot in the early nineties... when I was like 7? obviously I didn't have any clue what they were actually talking about but it was a pretty big thing.

The domestic abuse one is really just a rumor anyway, as for his daughter, I actually googled a bit about her, turns out Bibs has two grandsons and that he attended the Bris for the second one and left 30 or so minutes after arriving, there are photos of him, Sarah and the two boys there but even those don't actually have Noa in the frame, so I guess there's at least some credence to the "Sarah loathes Noa" rumor.

Typed Bibi into Google and that was the first thing Google completed it to just now. I was only born in the very late 80s but I've never heard of it or heard it mentioned until now.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Bibi is a shitstain, both professionally and personally.

But you know who genuinely was a committed and loving family man who was dedicated to his wife?

That's right...! :swoon:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Avshalom posted:

Bibi is a shitstain, both professionally and personally.

But you know who genuinely was a committed and loving family man who was dedicated to his wife?

That's right...! :swoon:

So dedicated he married her sister after she died.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So dedicated he married her sister after she died.

Hey, might as well go for the next best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
It's not as weird as it sounds. They didn't get married until a few years after Margalit's death, which is a normal-enough timespan - the sister bit is the only strange thing, but she moved in to help him with his son / her nephew, so it's pretty understandable that they ended up growing fond of each other given they were living and raising a child together. And it's not as if the first wife's death was his fault. :(

I will hear no criticism of my beloved Arik.

• Locked thread