Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There are a lot of different things to consider. Some hacks either have nasty bugs or just plain don't work on real hardware due to relying on emulator inaccuracies. Some hacks may require that the ROM does or doesn't have its copier header, and I don't know how Everdrives handle that. My experience with ROM hack stuff is very SNES-centric, though, so YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I tried about 5 different ones from the forums and Harlock was nice enough to try and give me a hand but none are working. Is there anything in particular I should look for? Most of them say '14 in them so it's hard to track down which is last year's.

They look like bootleg hacks by someone who doesn't know what they're doing clicking around in the NHL 94 forum. Your best bet is to use the 2014 patch here https://pixelpuck.com

Unfortunately they have stopped updating.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I tried about 5 different ones from the forums and Harlock was nice enough to try and give me a hand but none are working. Is there anything in particular I should look for? Most of them say '14 in them so it's hard to track down which is last year's.

Extreme shot in the dark here but check my DAT file for Genesis, see if there's a file it can identify (might have to go back for 13). If there is one it should for-sure work if you can track it down.

In other news Watermelon is actually shipping the reprint Pier Solar Genesis carts they've been promising for like 2 years. :stare:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Lifespan posted:

I had a friend with one of those in high school. As cool as it was to have a monster game collection, the time it took for it load games off of (usually multiple) floppies was ridiculous...

To avoid this back in the day you could hook your copier to a PC via parallel cable and use a DOS program called VGS to transfer ROMs straight from the hard drive (and also dump ROMs/save files to your hard drive). I had a SWCDX back then and learned real quick that keeping all your games on floppies was a pain in the rear end.

Here's a guy demonstrating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxrRgifcEtA

Nowadays people with copiers use ucon64 to do the same thing

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
You guys are the best but Harlock helped me out and saved the day :cheers:

Thanks again! Time for some NHL 14 !

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Retrogoons. UC Davis is selling all their arcade machines. Most notable a Star Wars Trilogy machine, and some Initial D units.

go here and enter "arcade" as a keyword
https://aggiesurplus.ucdavis.edu/4sale/index.cfm

Sales open to the public March 4th at 9AM.

e: or apparently "street fighter" or "pinball"

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 27, 2015

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

mikeycp posted:

Retrogoons. UC Davis is selling all their arcade machines. Most notable a Star Wars Trilogy machine, and some Initial D units.

drat, I wish I wasn't on the other side of the country. ID6 starting at $2500. :swoon:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Agrias120 posted:

drat, I wish I wasn't on the other side of the country. ID6 starting at $2500. :swoon:

I... oh god I want it, but I can't, but I have to agggghhh

e. they have 5th stage cheaper, and I like the driving physics better in that, I need to close that tab before I make Terrible Decisions

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

They're selling a Megatouch Aurora for how much? Jesus gently caress, why do I have to be on the other side of the pond?

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

mikeycp posted:

Oh man, I'm an hour away from there. Is SF3 CPS2?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

SnatchRabbit posted:

Oh man, I'm an hour away from there. Is SF3 CPS2?

I don't see SF3 in the listing? But I recall it being an original machine. Actually all their fighting games are conspicuously missing. I wonder if they might be keeping those?

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

Just a heads up to everyone who doesn't have a Sega Trio but desperately want need one (like me), they're going back up for preorder tonight at 6pm central. Ships March 3rd.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

mikeycp posted:

I don't see SF3 in the listing? But I recall it being an original machine. Actually all their fighting games are conspicuously missing. I wonder if they might be keeping those?

I just searched street fighter and it came up. I really want a SF2 Champion edition or hyper fighting cab, but it looks like SF3 isn't compatible.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

mikeycp posted:

Those pinball machines are 50% off market value.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

SnatchRabbit posted:

I just searched street fighter and it came up. I really want a SF2 Champion edition or hyper fighting cab, but it looks like SF3 isn't compatible.

Oh wow. I didn't think to do that. But yeah I guess SF3 is CPS3.

e:

cosmicjim posted:

Those pinball machines are 50% off market value.

And from my experience with Aggie Surplus, there's a somewhat decent chance you can talk them down a bit more.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 27, 2015

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

mikeycp posted:

Oh wow. I didn't think to do that. But yeah I guess SF3 is CPS3.

e:

And from my experience with Aggie Surplus, there's a somewhat decent chance you can talk them down a bit more.

Moments like this, I wish I had a spare $6,000 laying around. Those are really good prices.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ryden posted:

Just a heads up to everyone who doesn't have a Sega Trio but desperately want need one (like me), they're going back up for preorder tonight at 6pm central. Ships March 3rd.

What's this exactly? Some sort of rom cart?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Saoshyant posted:

A consolidated AC adapter for the Genesis, Sega CD, and 32X. Makes it so you don't have to deal with plugging in (or having plugged in) two or three wall warts at once.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qtQWUF6-Co
Mother 4 is looking to be a neat fan game.

Saoshyant posted:

It's a small, light, cool running, and energy efficient power adapter for The Sega Genesis, CD, and 32X all at the same time.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Heran Bago posted:

It's a small, light, cool running, and energy efficient power adapter for The Sega Genesis, CD, and 32X all at the same time.

Which really stings if you shock yourself with it :downs:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Heran Bago posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qtQWUF6-Co
Mother 4 is looking to be a neat fan game.

This is the first time I'm hearing about this, and it looks awesome! Fans are the best.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Mother fans get poo poo done.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm too drat old for Tumblr. That said, there's some good stuff knocking around. Like this post from FM FRIDAYS where they cobbled together a very clean version of the theme from the Black Knight 2000 pinball game. It's a pretty good tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enl9Frc9mX8&t=219s

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Been slowly replaying Dragon Warrior IV. Of the first 4 chapters I'd say that Mara and Nara's is my least favorite. There's a little grinding in all of them because of the era DW4 was made in, but it feels like you're at it for a good long while before you reach any event worth a drat. For chapter 1, once you get Ragnar to level 3 you can head to Izmit, which is the first thing you're told to do. Chapter 2 you can knock off the monster in Tempe around the same level. Chapter 3? The cave with the iron safe. But for chapter 4, you realistically need to be around level 7 or 8 to enter the first cave, not only because you need to be at around that level but you likely won't be able to afford decent equipment until around then. And Nara and Mara are not particularly durable so its not like you can just wing it with cheap stuff.

But I'm critiquing a game that's old enough to drink and vote so what do I know? :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I never got to play Final Fantasy 2/3 on the SNES (IV and VI proper, right?) and kind of want to give them a try. I don't actually have a SNES so I can't play them the "true" way. What's the best route to play them these days? I don't mind buying them - I see there's a version of IV on Android that's $16, but I'm not sure what the best version really is these days, or if I should just use an emulator and play them that way.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Medullah posted:

I never got to play Final Fantasy 2/3 on the SNES (IV and VI proper, right?) and kind of want to give them a try. I don't actually have a SNES so I can't play them the "true" way. What's the best route to play them these days? I don't mind buying them - I see there's a version of IV on Android that's $16, but I'm not sure what the best version really is these days, or if I should just use an emulator and play them that way.

My kneejerk reaction is emulator but I have not seen the Android versions and can't comment. Definitely play them in order though. FF2(IV) really feels like an early era SNES game, and FFIII improves upon it in a lot of ways. You can tell that they really knew their stuff by the time 3 came around. I still like 2 better than 3 but it's definitely not on the same technical level.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Quiet Feet posted:

Been slowly replaying Dragon Warrior IV. Of the first 4 chapters I'd say that Mara and Nara's is my least favorite. There's a little grinding in all of them because of the era DW4 was made in, but it feels like you're at it for a good long while before you reach any event worth a drat. For chapter 1, once you get Ragnar to level 3 you can head to Izmit, which is the first thing you're told to do. Chapter 2 you can knock off the monster in Tempe around the same level. Chapter 3? The cave with the iron safe. But for chapter 4, you realistically need to be around level 7 or 8 to enter the first cave, not only because you need to be at around that level but you likely won't be able to afford decent equipment until around then. And Nara and Mara are not particularly durable so its not like you can just wing it with cheap stuff.

But I'm critiquing a game that's old enough to drink and vote so what do I know? :v:

one of my favorite games prob my favorite NES. I used to replay it yearly. They're definitely the grindiest bit, but I really like them. I tend to just grind everyone in their own chapters up way too much anyway. So it never bothered me too much.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Which 3D Sega Classic was the best on the 3DS? Galaxy Force II or Afterburner II?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Housh posted:

Which 3D Sega Classic was the best on the 3DS? Galaxy Force II or Afterburner II?

Space Harrier :colbert:.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Medullah posted:

The original sprites from the SNES game will always be my favorite, but if you've got a Vita or PSP (or Vita TV), the Complete Final Fantasy 4 Collection on there is probably the definitive version. The new art is nice and it's got The After Years if you want to play a fanfiction sequel.

For 6, I'd say either emulate the SNES version or play the GBA port if you've got access to it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
FF4 on PSP is by far the best version and PPPPPPPPPPPSPPPP or whatever emulates it great. Square android games typically are complete garbage with terrible upkeep.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Agrias120 posted:

For 6, I'd say either emulate the SNES version or play the GBA port if you've got access to it.

Best music: SNES
Best translation: GBA

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Cool, I've got a Vita and a hacked PSP Go (that can play GBA games) so pretty much all of these are options.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Housh posted:

Short answer: Afterburner is a better game, Galaxy Force has more impressive 3D.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

flyboi posted:

FF4 on PSP is by far the best version and PPPPPPPPPPPSPPPP or whatever emulates it great. Square android games typically are complete garbage with terrible upkeep.

This right here.

I'm a purist so I'd say your first play through should be the original SNES versions (emulated or not) but that's just me. FF4 is probably my favorite FF game, and was babby's first jrpg. It got its hooks in deep, as my continued love for them shows.

Some excellent music and art direction in that game.

And then comes FF6, which is just a massive upgrade to everything and so so so good.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Medullah posted:

There was talk in either this topic or the RPG one, where an OS update broke the Android version of The World Ends With You and Square still hasn't fixed it. So yeah, I wouldn't go that way.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

univbee posted:

Best music: SNES
Best translation: GBA
On the bright side, there's a fan-made patch that kinda-sorta restores the SNES instruments to the GBA version.

Mix in that patch that restores the color palette, and you basically get what FFVI Advance probably should have been... although the music patch, at least, only seems to work on European ROMs? Not like the GBA has the 50/60Hz issue to make that a problem.

Although using a recording of the opera scenes actually being performed from one of the soundtrack CDs is severe overkill.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 28, 2015

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

On the bright side, there's a fan-made patch that kinda-sorta restores the SNES instruments to the GBA version.

Mix in that patch that restores the color palette, and you basically get what FFVI Advance probably should have been... although the music patch, at least, only seems to work on European ROMs? Not like the GBA has the 50/60Hz issue to make that a problem.

They opted to only release the patch for the European release as it's EFIGS while the US version is English only. The game itself works the same otherwise (like you said, there are no NTSC/PAL like differences for any handheld), although I think the US ROM is half the size, so you might have more leverage with the US ROM if you have a really old GBA flashcart.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
FF6A with the music patch would be like the perfect version if only the dude who made the patch didn't replace the opera scene music with an MP3 of a live performance version that doesn't sync up with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I looked up the ff6a music patch wondering why anyone would want to patch ff6's music until I saw that it restores the original SNES music, apparently ff6a's was different. this is good since nothing tops the original SNES tracks. why in the hell would you do that to the opera scene though :psyduck:

• Locked thread