Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Toiwat posted:

Nerscyylla's gear is super anime, I need to start understanding bowguns so I can walk around with super anime shoulder guards.

Aside from that, is it worth it to craft Lemundslist if I'm already using the Stealth Glaive?

Yes. It does dragon damage and it's easier to upgrade because it can be upgraded before high rank. The stealth glaive redux requires high rank nerscylla parts.

Leumundslist is easy to make (one thorough kill will probably get you what you need) and only requires g. magala tails to upgrade in terms of actual monster parts. It also requires monster broth which is technically a high rank material but you can get it easily from caravan 6* stuff.

Also leumundslist/gift/etc. are super good because they have so much dragon damage and dragon damage is relatively hard to come by unless you are using the other magala weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I crafted the rank 5 Grimmig Katze and it's fun as heck. Paralysis turns out is super useful! Too bad that the times I managed to paralyse and mount pink rathian his head bugged into the terrain and I couldn't get a full combo off :argh:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I finally got the Kirin quest in the lower caravan and now it's loving gone after I killed that dumb thing. Do I only get to fight it one time or is it one of those advanced quest things where I have to cycle and hope it pops up somewhere? Or can I only do it through the guild or something i'm so confused.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I hope MH5 has a Konchudrome. Best parts of Shogun Ceanataur and Volvidon. It would be great*!

*horrifying in pairs

Veskit posted:

I finally got the Kirin quest in the lower caravan and now it's loving gone after I killed that dumb thing. Do I only get to fight it one time or is it one of those advanced quest things where I have to cycle and hope it pops up somewhere? Or can I only do it through the guild or something i'm so confused.

You can get it in expeditions I think. Or you get guild quests for it from doing expeditions.

e: vvvvvvvvv you can use field horns and raw meat to lure the monster into the trap.

Sard fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 27, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The only real UI criticism I have in this game is that you can't disable your own traps after placing them in conjunction with the 1-trap-hunter limit being zone-wide. I've flubbed a lot of caps cause I've placed a trap and a monster just ran away. Now I just wait for the monster to run away to an area I know it's not going to run away from instantly. I'm too impatient to wait for it to go sleep, if that's a thing people normally do.

I think it's time to finally start learning this Cat stuff. I've just been using them for Cosplay more than practical purposes.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Sard posted:

I hope MH5 has a Konchudrome. Best parts of Shogun Ceanataur and Volvidon. It would be great*!

*horrifying in pairs

You rang?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Veskit posted:

now that you've unlocked kirin you should be able to get a guild quest for it by hunting gravios, seltas queen, khezu and rathalos in expeditions

http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/wiki/guild_quest_monsters

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Rascyc posted:

It just goes on. I just found out you can set off bombs with paintballs, haha.

:vince:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Sard posted:

e: vvvvvvvvv you can use field horns and raw meat to lure the monster into the trap.
That explains it. I'm not a huge fan of field horns cause they break but raw meat? Sign me up. Poisoned meats is another thing I just never do.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Sard posted:

*horrifying in pairs

You can get it in expeditions I think. Or you get guild quests for it from doing expeditions.

That's weaaaaaakkkkkkkk

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Rascyc posted:

That explains it. I'm not a huge fan of field horns cause they break but raw meat? Sign me up. Poisoned meats is another thing I just never do.

I don't think every monster in the game will go for meats. The only ones I know about off the top of my head is deviljho and tigerex.

edit: Also enjoying the insane amount of rage coming from that ketcha watcha post. He is actually a fairly easy monster if you stick with the game and you will long for something like that later when you are fighting pink rathian haha. If a hunt is taking 30 mins its probably because you are not reading his tells properly and are getting hit every time you charge in and need to heal so he is barely taking damage. Also if you are using the long sword it might not be the best weapon to start with since it punishes you for not being constantly aggressive with the spirit gauges. You are losing a lot of damage if you are not at yellow or red.

In general if a quest takes longer then 15 mins you probably can improve how you are doing it. I recommend playing online maybe with some more experienced players to see how they deal with certain situations. Quick tip for Ketcha Watcha though that I didn't see anyone mention is if he is hanging from the vines and not enraged you can throw a sonic bomb and he will fall flat on his back.

Vire fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 27, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Vire posted:

I don't think every monster in the game will go for meats. The only ones I know about off the top of my head is deviljho and tigerex.

I didn't do it much in the previous games, but it has been very reliable in this one so far. I assume the field horns success rate has gone up since it now breaks after one use, while meat may still require a somewhat tired monster.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Well time to try out G Rank. Desert Seltas is pretty easy this should go ok.

*apex rajang shows up and obliterates the whole group*

Alrighty then.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Vire posted:

The dromes (Jaggi, Ioprey and so on) do as well, unless I'm misremembering but honestly it's not that worth it

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Vire posted:

If any monster hunts an animal or makes for the carcass location to recover their stamina, they will eat meat if hungry. The Rath pair also eat meat.

The only significant bonus of using status meat is inflicting a free amount of status effect. They work great on Jho because of the frequency of eating, but are situational with others.

For killing it faster, bring poison.
For free hits, bring paralysis.
For part-breaking, bring sleep, and barrels. All the barrels.

I find that not making items until you're ready is best; it gives you the option to either make it before the hunt, or to bring the materials along and make them on the go. Just be careful about this, some different items use the same materials, and you can wind up short because you didn't cross check that before the hunt.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The HBG has cutting ammo right? How's that for tails.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Can you not bomb tails off? Ack

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Rascyc posted:

It just goes on. I just found out you can set off bombs with paintballs, haha.

Set off bombs properly. Kick them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Is there a monster with really low base hp that 4 hunters could paintball to death?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Are the blast Gunlances a good idea? I never used the slime weapons in 3 so I thought it'd be fun to try here (plus I just like fighting Brachydios)

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Is there a monster with really low base hp that 4 hunters could paintball to death?

I think kirin has the lowest HP, which is funny since it means you'd be paintballing an elder dragon to death. Still don't think it's possible though, so!

Also, on the subject of konchu: if it's any consolation, when they latch onto a monster they may block your strikes BUT I am also pretty sure they drain the monster's stamina. I experimented with this on the nerscylla hunt-a-thon and let a few konchu attach themselves to a nerscylla that I hadn't attacked. After a few minutes of them being on it, it became tired.

Konchu also come in multiple colors depending on where you encounter them. The more you know!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
They also can drop Armor Sphere+ in high rank which is nice to get those first couple upgrades to your shiny new Velocidrome S suit!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just upgraded to the new 3DS XL and bought Monster Hunter 4 and have never played a Monster Hunter game ever and I am scared. :shobon:

What things should I avoid/do as a newbie?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ShaneB posted:

I just upgraded to the new 3DS XL and bought Monster Hunter 4 and have never played a Monster Hunter game ever and I am scared. :shobon:

DO: pay attention to the tutorials, try different weapons, ask for help.

DON'T: mash A through the tutorials, take quests at the Gathering Hall.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ugh, crafted the full Diablos set for Crit Draw goodness and now I'm out of Adv Armor Spheres to upgrade it to HR defense with. Guess its time to farm some missions to get some!

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

The HBG has cutting ammo right? How's that for tails.

Personally I find they work great depending on the monster. I'm a terrible shot so monsters like Rathians I'm just better off leaving to other people, but with monsters like Gravios and Deviljho I've had good results using Slicing S on their tails.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Also, a handy little note: at HR4 (online, obv.) you get a quest to deliver 4 sootstone ore. If you pay attention, the subquest is "sever the deviljho's tail."

Deviljho will show up about two minutes or so into the quest. A semi-competent group (four people, myself + 3 pubbies) can kill him fairly easily considering his reputation. That gets you access to some pretty beefy gear if you feel like doing the quest more than once. Even one jho kill was enough to get a weapon for me, along with a prized deviljho gem.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ShaneB posted:

Do the tutorial. It's long and boring, but the game's definitely got a bit of a learning curve and it'll really help make the controls click

You start with a sword and shield equipped. SNS is an OK weapon to learn the basic controls but it's actually not super great for beginners once you get past that point. Its damage is kind of assy until you get good with items and element/status, which are a little more in-depth. Try the rest of the weapons out until you find something that clicks (hammer is the best weapon, respect hammer). Make sure you read the hunter notes for whatever weapon and try it out a bit first, then when you're comfortable with the basic moves take a look at the GaijinHunter video in the OP to get some more information on the subtleties of the weapon. You don't want to watch it first thing probably, don't want to drown yourself in complexity

if you do the tutorial and you're not interested, keep going until you get past Seltas. that's when the game really starts getting good.

the way skills work is that you need to hit certain skill point thresholds on gear to make them work. full sets of gear'll probably have several positive skills and one negative skill (the skill hits a negative threshold), concentrate on making full sets until you get the hang of the system.

always eat food once the kitchen's available.

guild quests are designed for multiplayer, do caravan stuff until you're comfortable going online

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Watch the gaijin hunter weapon tutorial(s) for the weapon(s) you choose. The in game weapon tutorials are okay but either miss or gloss over some pretty important details.

Carry the eggs.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Rascyc posted:

Can you not bomb tails off? Ack

Bombs don't do cutting damage, so no

Hammers also can't cut tails because they don't do cutting damage, I remember a very disilusioned pubbie once asking me why I wasn't trying to cut a monster's tail while I was using a hammer and they just didn't get that it did the wrong type of damage

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost

ShaneB posted:

Be patient with this game. It's a mile deep despite appearances, and will probably feel terribly clunky and poorly designed at first. It's not (for the most part), but it'll take experience to understand why it's built the way it is.

Also, you know that saying about how if moving something hurts, then stop doing it? Same here. If you're getting your rear end kicked or something feels unfair, then you're just doing it wrong and need to find out why. It will happen and will piss you off and you'll want to set the game down for a few days. Give it time, you'll be gibbering about plates and desire sensors and pubbies like the rest of us eventually.

Oh and don't feel like you need to do all of the "collect 10 boar asses" quests you're given early on. The quests tied to progression open up after you've completed all of a number of "key quests". They're not labelled as such, but I think they're usually the latter quests in the list, and are pretty much always the more substantial "kill a massive hellbeast" type missions. There's no shame in looking up which quests are key via a guide. Honestly that goes for most the game really, you'll find yourself researching a lot once you get hooked.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The hilt attack apparently does cutting damage but yeah...

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Ignimbrite posted:

Bombs don't do cutting damage, so no

Hammers also can't cut tails because they don't do cutting damage, I remember a very disilusioned pubbie once asking me why I wasn't trying to cut a monster's tail while I was using a hammer and they just didn't get that it did the wrong type of damage

All damage adds to the damage needed to cut a tail regardless of it's source. But, you could go balls out with a hammer to a tail and only when someone with a cutting weapon tapped it would the tail pop right off.

So, yeah... bombs will damage the tail but only cutting damage will make it come off. Throwing knives are cutting damage, so you could hammer a tail till the monster is limping and then cut the tail with a throwing knife.

The inverse is true with breaking things that only a hammer can crack. You could use a cutting weapon to damage a impact only shell and then us a bomb to crack it.

Lexorin fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 28, 2015

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

is there any way to cut tails with the horn?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the special poke attack will cut a tail

good luck with that though

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Azure Rathalos sure does like doing his poison claw swoop attack. And is it just me or did it get a lot more accurate?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lexorin posted:

All damage adds to the damage needed to cut a tail regardless of it's source. But, you could go balls out with a hammer to a tail and only when someone with a cutting weapon tapped it would the tail pop right off.

That's not true, actually. If you're going to cut a tail, you've got to use cutting damage. You can do damage to the tail but unless you're actually doing cutting damage it doesn't do poo poo. Lance does cutting/impact (and so does the insect glaive, I think), so they always work for breaks/tails.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

A Tin Of Beans posted:

is there any way to cut tails with the horn?

Special attack is a cutting attack, but it's really not feasible - damage is piss poor on it and the height is low.

Moon Man posted:

It's probably been answered, but what exactly determines the amount of quest rewards you get? I typically go for a capture instead of a kill, but I still feel that I get more rewards when I use a sword and shield than when I use anything else, even if I break the same amount of parts.

What's the deal?

:words: ahead

There's 5 categories of reward you get at the end of a quest: A, B, Subquest, Capture, and Break.

The A and B categories are the top two rows in the rewards screen ("Base"). They can have a max of 8 rewards each.
The subquest I can't remember, but I'm fairly certain it's 8 max as well - it used to be you had subquests 1 and 2 with 4 rewards each, so since there's only 1 subquest per quest in mh4u, 8 rewards makes sense.
Capture makes up 2/3/4 reward slots in the "Wound/Cap" section, with breaks making up the rest.

For category A, you're always guaranteed the first 3 reward slots. The first slot is (or used to be? i dunno if this is still in mh4u) a fixed reward specific to the quest. The second and third slots, the game rolls to see which reward item you get.
The game then rolls for the 4th slot to see if you get a reward from it. This is a default 69% chance, but can be modified by the fate skill (fate +20 gives 100% I think) and felyne (un)luckycat. If you fail the roll, that's it for that category. If you succeed, it rolls again to determine the item.
This repeats for the remaining slots - if you fail the first roll for any slot, that's it and it goes to the next category.

For category B, you're only guaranteed the first reward slot, and it's not fixed. Apart from that, it progresses the same way.

For the subquest, you're guaranteed the first slot, and it also proceeds the same way after that. Only difference is the lucky felyne skill doesn't affect subquest rewards.
Incidentally I think kiranico's subquest rewards are missing items, I've heard of people getting gems from higher level subquest rewards, and kiranico just looks to have repeated the Main B reward list.

For captures, you have a default 2 guaranteed slots, with a 69% chance of a 3rd. The Capture Expert skill gives you a guaranteed 3 reward slots, Capture Master gives 3 with 69% of a 4th, and Capture Expert gives a guaranteed 4 slots.

For breaks, it's simple: each break gives 1 guaranteed reward slot.

One takeaway from all this is that capturing isn't always the best idea, unless you can only get the item from a capture reward - body carves give 3 guaranteed items, while capturing only gives 2 with a chance of a third (unless you have the capture skill line). There's also the Carving skill line that gives you up to 5 body carves, and the Felyne Carver skill gives 25%/50% chance of an extra carve (tails as well!).

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Yeah, I've never understood people who think that capture rewards are by and far the only way to do it. Capturing is better for getting rarer items, while if you still need a lot of all of the monsters' parts or a lot of the more common parts, then killing is better. Capture is more of a specific thing you do sometimes, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Always
Be
Capturing

• Locked thread