Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sandbagger SA posted:

Meanwhile in civil service...

pleasefireme.txt is all I see in that high-res picture showing a lot of personal/password/department information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I get roughly 3 weeks off plus one personal holiday

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm starting to get the distinct feeling LS powered Holdens are becoming a cult car outside of Australia. Kinda like old Falcons from here are vanishing and reappearing all over the globe as collectables - I'm lead to believe any Falcon coupe left alive in Aust are being actively hunted by collectors and restorers in the USA especially.

This is true, because Mad Max.
(I want one.)

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Tusen Takk posted:

I've worked Saturday's since I was 16 or so, and I only had to work Sunday's for a year until I had some seniority, but God drat does it suck that the one day pretty much everyone has off is reserved for work, and it makes taking long weekend trips nearly impossible.

I won't mind working them occasionally for OT when I graduate but if it's a constant thing then I'm going to have to go somewhere else because gently caress that.

Speaking of the good old American work ethic, how many weeks vacation does the average joe in CS/IT get? I don't even care if it's PTO I just want to be able to go somewhere for a week or two once or twice a year so I don't completely burn out three years after graduating

I started with 10 days I can accrue and I get an additional day every year. That is just PTO in general though, so sick days and vacation all in one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Motronic posted:

gently caress corporate IT.

If / when I'm out of my present job I have some incredible stories on this. All I'm allowed to say now is that it's literally the biggest group no one has heard of.... and it is unbelievable that a group that is this loving huge tries to play it like a 20 employee small one. Ive been inplenty of small ones that have delusions of granduer but a literal mega corp acting in reverse is astounding.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

meatpimp posted:

pleasefireme.txt is all I see in that high-res picture showing a lot of personal/password/department information.

I looked- there's nothing incriminating unless you like functions keys and a password that was forced expired about 2 months ago.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BraveUlysses posted:

It does get pretty old though if you're working 3-4 weekends in a row or 700+ hours of OT in a given year

I know the pain. I am on call every other weekend.

I billed 1000 hours OT last year which is both :homebrew: and :suicide: at the same time. BUT, the difference being is that I'm salary plus O/T. Which is to say if I'm out in the middle of the night, they don't expect me to to be in the office at 8am. Hell, they (my bosses 200 and 600 miles away respectively) don't expect me in before noon (but I get paid for the full day) if I come in at all. Plus I can do 99 percent of my job from home so there's a few days a week I don't even make it into the office. I am self managed and nobody watches my clock. I've been here for more than 12 years so they trust me to do my job

as I post on SA

Tide fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 27, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any one that is my snap chat crew gets my feet up on the locomotive dash every so often.

I get 5 weeks after 25 years of service.... but 3 weeks right now plus 7 personal leave days. So 28 days off a year isnt awful.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Tusen Takk posted:

Yeah even working for Apple Retail the benefits of working for them over there is astounding. Required 3 days off per week and two of those days must be a weekend, 3 weeks paid leave and 2 weeks paid sick time (it might be more, idr) $25/hr starting wage for even the "lowest" position, poo poo is unreal

:unsmith: this gives me a lot of hope

I'm not sure that's true anymore for Apple Retail. Maybe it's per store? Region? A friend turned down a job as a Geinus bar tech for $17.25/h. I don't recall the leave/sick, but it I think it was 2/1 vs 3/2.

Via glassdoor: http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Apple-Hourly-Pay-E1138.htm

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
At 100 acre wood rally today. The 0 car went off on stage two. This year is going to be a car breaker.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the spyder posted:

I'm not sure that's true anymore for Apple Retail. Maybe it's per store? Region? A friend turned down a job as a Geinus bar tech for $17.25/h. I don't recall the leave/sick, but it I think it was 2/1 vs 3/2.

Via glassdoor: http://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Apple-Hourly-Pay-E1138.htm

This was in Australia, so it was $25/hr AUD but it depends on the volume that store does. The benefits are better in Aus as well. I work at the busiest store in the Midwest outside of Chicago and I make $16/hr doing inventory, sales and phone techs makes the same and geniuses are at about $21-25 depending on amount of time with the company.

Factor in the insane amount of benefits and discounts they give you/you get and its really good. I have full health/vision/dental and my phone bill is $40/month for 10GB and a free upgrade every 10 months, so that saves me a shitload of money a month right there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

trouser chili posted:

At 100 acre wood rally today.
"Bother" said Pooh, as his misjudged slide saw him take out two trees and a corner worker.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Discovered something interesting at work today:

We've been leaving the valves on the end of our flushout pipes open so they don't freeze and bust and they've been making some really neat ice formations. It's a bit hard to see, but there's water spraying along the inside of the tunnel in those first 2 shots. It goes for another 10 - 15 feet and runs along the inside walls before it finally hits the ground.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I don't get vacation time, paid holidays or sick days so man the gently caress up.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tusen Takk posted:

Speaking of the good old American work ethic, how many weeks vacation does the average joe in CS/IT get? I don't even care if it's PTO I just want to be able to go somewhere for a week or two once or twice a year so I don't completely burn out three years after graduating
3 weeks combined sick+vacation plus fairly generous holidays.
Just finishing my 3 months of contract->hire so I didn't get paid for any of x-mas/new-year/presidents-day. :(

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

InitialDave posted:

"Bother" said Pooh, as his misjudged slide saw him take out two trees and a corner worker.

This is an excellent post.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

trouser chili posted:

At 100 acre wood rally today. The 0 car went off on stage two. This year is going to be a car breaker.

Please post more details. I can only refresh so much social media.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

kastein posted:

Come build flying cars with me. We want people with experience, but I don't think we require 8 years of experience.

Bonus: you don't have to move to Detroit.

While that does sound interesting I do not have any experience except for working in the quality control department at my internship. Quality engineering loving sucks, it's basically just paperwork. I badly want to get into design.

I do love New England but I would choose MI over MA. If When I leave CT I want to go somewhere with significantly less lovely gun laws. Would it be reasonable to commute from NH where you work?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

InitialDave posted:

I wish I could "5" posts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

SFH1989 posted:

While that does sound interesting I do not have any experience except for working in the quality control department at my internship. Quality engineering loving sucks, it's basically just paperwork. I badly want to get into design.

I do love New England but I would choose MI over MA. If When I leave CT I want to go somewhere with significantly less lovely gun laws. Would it be reasonable to commute from NH where you work?
Yeah, we're in Woburn. When I take 495 to 93 instead of 90 to 95, I drive within like 3 miles of the NH border.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Motronic posted:

gently caress corporate IT.

I sent my boss this link after seeing an ad for it in the elevator up to our floor, confirming that we could get it in the building. Just sayin', we could have our own 400mbps cable in Exploration, that no one else needs to know about...

http://www.tpg.com.au/business/fibre-400

Sandbagger SA posted:

Meanwhile in civil service...

This is a very familiar sight to anyone who's worked on a mine or exploration site, when for whatever reason you can't work that day (excess heat, excess cold, equipment needs repairing etc). Suit up for going underground or out into the field, then kick your feet up and watch movies.

Memento fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 28, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Been told to use some of my 40 days accrued leave.

3 weeks off in a weeks time. I have no bloody idea what I will do. I dont think I have taken that much time off in 10 years?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

InitialDave posted:

:vince:

Well friggin' played.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Tusen Takk posted:

Me and my wife just filled out our W4s since we just got married and it takes less out of our cheque now, and if we had kids it'd take even less (though it does give you the option to enter 0 to make sure you don't end up owing)

Are you sure you did it right? :confused:

That doesn't always work. Wife and I did that and we still owe 1500 bucks. Bunch of bullshit....

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

InitialDave posted:

Frame this one, you won't be making a better post than this.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn dude, post of the year

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

InitialDave's one-liners are one of my favorite things about this forum.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InitialDave posted:

Holy poo poo. :drat:

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I don't get vacation time, paid holidays or sick days so man the gently caress up.

drat man, I hope you really like what you're doing or it's some kind of trial period, otherwise you might want to man the gently caress up and get a better job! Working a job with zero human allowances is a sure-fire way to burn out early.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Sooooo what do you do when you arrive at your vehicle and the passenger door is hosed because some mongoloid piece of poo poo tried to break in?

I don't have the money for repairs now, but what can I use to plug up the gash?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

Sooooo what do you do when you arrive at your vehicle and the passenger door is hosed because some mongoloid piece of poo poo tried to break in?

I don't have the money for repairs now, but what can I use to plug up the gash?
File a report with the police and submit to your insurance?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Tusen Takk posted:

File a report with the police and submit to your insurance?

Oh yeah, already done that. Mostly concerned with the visible hole with all my door innards.

They never actually got the door open, thank God.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

When did it become macho to bend over and take it from an employer

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Valley Metro, Arizona. Sunny 362 days a year. :v:

I was mocking someone in YOSPOS to earn this terrible avatar. I can't be arsed to burn :10bux: to change it.

Get them summer tires on in that case!!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rscott posted:

The same day it became macho to pick yourself up by your goddamn bootstraps, you loving commie :911:

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

Yeah even working for Apple Retail the benefits of working for them over there is astounding. Required 3 days off per week and two of those days must be a weekend, 3 weeks paid leave and 2 weeks paid sick time (it might be more, idr) $25/hr starting wage for even the "lowest" position, poo poo is unreal

:unsmith: this gives me a lot of hope

Previous job was 13.5 days/year. Vacation and sick leave combined in that 13.5. Plus paid federal holidays.

Now 20 days vacation plus 13 days sick leave and paid federal holidays.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

He's union. hahahaha try again.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

He's union. hahahaha try again.

labor leadership in this country sold out their constituents long ago, that doesn't mean poo poo

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

rscott posted:

Sorry to hammer on this again (and I seriously hope Crag is happy with his job or gets a better job if not), but I've been around long enough to know how this works: "Manning up" and taking the ol' lubeless pounding like that is bad for more than just that one employee- it tells the manager and ultimately, the company that "hey, people will tolerate this!" and sets a new, lower, bar for what is acceptable treatment. The employees that hang around or put up with it because they need the money become so used to the lovely treatment that they normalize it, often to the point of perpetuating it, dismissing anyone who complains (particularly newbies) as weak/bitches/whiners. This doesn't really make sense, of course, because they're the ones with the uncaring, eyeless beast of business pistoning in and out of them.

(This isn't an anti-corporate/business rant- There are some great companies out there that actually give a poo poo about people and recognize that treating your employees well pays huge dividends.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Valley Metro, Arizona. Sunny 362 days a year. :v:
It also doesn't get below 90* 362 days a year.

• Locked thread