Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Wario is good right? Right??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dizz posted:

Wario is good right? Right??

He is fine, yes

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
King DeDeDe remains, of course, the best character.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

King DeDeDe remains, of course, the best character.

That's only because Toad isn't a Smash character.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
A Little Mac player managed to Side B me during Sudden Death. He fell over the edge and died before I could finish bouncing around Luigi's Mansion and fly off the side. Victory.

Dizz posted:

That's only because Toad isn't a Smash character.

Toad's relegated to Peach's move set because he's at his best when he's being punched in the face.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I appreciate the weird spore-counter move because it means that it is canon that Toad fires reproductive material in self-defense

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

IronicDongz posted:

I appreciate the weird spore-counter move because it means that it is canon that Toad fires reproductive material in self-defense

I always thought he was vomiting. You punched him in the loving gut so he just spews all over you

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I always thought he was vomiting. You punched him in the loving gut so he just spews all over you

Nintendo wouldn't put anything that vulgar in to their video games

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
I've found the best way to get custom moves is to be really awful at the Dr Mario trophy rush challenge. At least each time I fail I get some kind of reward, and a little closer to the 50,000 blocks challenge.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

This game is a wake up call that I'm actually real bad at smash.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Smash Bros. Soundtrack arrived. It's pretty cool.

No Mega Man, Sonic, Earthbound, or Wii Fit tracks. :negative:

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Echo Chamber posted:

No Earthbound tracks. :negative:

Fire it into the sun

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Echo Chamber posted:

The Smash Bros. Soundtrack arrived. It's pretty cool.

No Mega Man, Sonic, Earthbound, or Wii Fit tracks. :negative:

Haha what :psyduck:

I mean, I know the soundtrack is free and all but come on

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Macaluso posted:

Haha what :psyduck:

I mean, I know the soundtrack is free and all but come on

With Sonic and Mega Man it was most likely a licensing thing.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I just noticed the soundtracks have that Mario Paint song from the DLC stage. That's pretty neat.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

jivjov posted:

With Sonic and Mega Man it was most likely a licensing thing.

And with Earthbound...who owns what in regards to the Mother series is seemingly more complex than the rights they share concerning Pokemon or Fire Emblem. Similar to how there's probably a reason none of the Mother songs in Smash have never had the vocals that the CD releases had.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I guess when I'm bored I'll look at the list of music in the game and compare it to the CD and find one of the "Super Duper Definitive Lossless Smash Bros 3DS/WiiU Ultra Rips" on Reddit to make the unofficial Disc 3 of the album.

Shame the new, Japan-only version of Ashley's Song isn't on the CD.

It's still a nice album, considering it's free. They could have cut more corners and half-assed it more by making it one disc.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Anybody else's soundtrack discs have Japanese metadata? I can't read any of it, so it's actually kinda funny.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
We're gonna be streaming top 3 of smash 4 in a few minutes. Twitch.tv/gameunderground

Sorry never mind, stream issues

LanceKing2200 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 2, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

LanceKing2200 posted:

We're gonna be streaming top 3 of smash 4 in a few minutes. Twitch.tv/gameunderground

Holy poo poo, it's still going? I'm suddenly really happy I lost early then, I don't think I could handle still playing for so long. :ohdear: That said, the few hours I was there were still pretty fun!

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
Man, next time the wife wants to hit up Game Underground I'll see if I can introduce myself to you folks, maybe you can turn me into Ganon-paste.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

ChaosArgate posted:

Holy poo poo, it's still going? I'm suddenly really happy I lost early then, I don't think I could handle still playing for so long. :ohdear: That said, the few hours I was there were still pretty fun!

We got down to top 3 at like, 5:30, and were waiting for the stream for 3 hours, which we didn't even end up getting. Hope you had fun though!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Oh yeah, it was fun! I just wanna point out though that pressing the Sync button on a wireless controller doesn't actually remove it from a console's pairings, so if someone put their controller in a bag or something, they could accidentally press a button and not even know about it.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

ChaosArgate posted:

Oh yeah, it was fun! I just wanna point out though that pressing the Sync button on a wireless controller doesn't actually remove it from a console's pairings, so if someone put their controller in a bag or something, they could accidentally press a button and not even know about it.

Yeah, that was a nightmare I was dealing with all day. As far as I can tell there is actually no way to unpair a pro controller from a console other than pairing it to a different console, which sucks immensely because a lot of our players use them, and I don't want to have to ban them or anything, but it never freaking stops happening.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

LanceKing2200 posted:

Yeah, that was a nightmare I was dealing with all day. As far as I can tell there is actually no way to unpair a pro controller from a console other than pairing it to a different console, which sucks immensely because a lot of our players use them, and I don't want to have to ban them or anything, but it never freaking stops happening.

Can you set up a dummy console for people to pair with after they're done with their match?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

LanceKing2200 posted:

Yeah I could hear the exasperation in your voice. :ohdear:

messagemode1 posted:

Can you set up a dummy console for people to pair with after they're done with their match?

This isn't a half bad idea. If that 8th Smash disk never came, that last unused console totally could've been used to do that. Alternatively, every console should have a master Wiimote or Pro controller bound to it so that it can go into the reorder controllers menu and at least remove the offending controller long enough to set up a match.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
It's one of those things that there's no real answer to. There's only 3 real options:

1. Have a dummy console to pair to, which requires equipment we may not have at every tournament.

2. Have a wiimote or pro at each station, which also requires equipment, takes time to implement (not everyone is familiar with the WiiU home menu), and has the same problem as hitting the sync button, the controllers can re-connect if a button is pressed.

3. Require people to pull their batteries, but that takes a specialized screwdriver which we also can't guarantee.

I love how long the Pro Controller's Battery lasts, but drat Nintendo give us an off button.

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah I could hear the exasperation in your voice. :ohdear:

My voice is basically gone today. I had a blast running things yesterday, it's a shame the finals couldn't get streamed and went so late, they were hype as hell for the 6 of us that were left. Koolaid/Chef-Pac, the crazy Pac-Man player won, but Shin came back from loser's finals with a vengeance and got the reset. Matches were hype as hell.

LanceKing2200 fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 2, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
New smash dlc character is looking good.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
I believe that is Kirby's fate if he behaves too much like a borb

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

I was amused and immediately saddened when I realize Luma's left wing isn't Ridley's.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

this gets in but not ridley???

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Dizz posted:

this gets in but not ridley???

This is Ridley.
Somewhere between rabbit and iguana.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

It's WaRidley

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Playing as Dedede online yesterday. Went up against Captain Falcon. He went for a Falcon Punch out of mid-air. I saw it coming.

He didn't.

http://imgur.com/tk7NA9o

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

WindyMan posted:

Playing as Dedede online yesterday. Went up against Captain Falcon. He went for a Falcon Punch out of mid-air. I saw it coming.

He didn't.

http://imgur.com/tk7NA9o

Smashy smashy.

There's something super satisfying about the noise it makes when Dedede's hammer hits something, particularly with the forward smash and the down-B.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

LanceKing2200 posted:

It's one of those things that there's no real answer to. There's only 3 real options:

1. Have a dummy console to pair to, which requires equipment we may not have at every tournament.

2. Have a wiimote or pro at each station, which also requires equipment, takes time to implement (not everyone is familiar with the WiiU home menu), and has the same problem as hitting the sync button, the controllers can re-connect if a button is pressed.

3. Require people to pull their batteries, but that takes a specialized screwdriver which we also can't guarantee.

I love how long the Pro Controller's Battery lasts, but drat Nintendo give us an off button.

My voice is basically gone today. I had a blast running things yesterday, it's a shame the finals couldn't get streamed and went so late, they were hype as hell for the 6 of us that were left. Koolaid/Chef-Pac, the crazy Pac-Man player won, but Shin came back from loser's finals with a vengeance and got the reset. Matches were hype as hell.

Why not provide triwings at each console station, maybe affixed to the station with string? They're like 3bux apiece.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

DoctorWhat posted:

Why not provide triwings at each console station, maybe affixed to the station with string? They're like 3bux apiece.

It may be something I have to look into in the future, but it's very unintuitive, especially to new players. It also presents a problem, if they use it to just pop the battery in and out it's no different than just hitting the sync button, it'll reconnect if a button is pressed, but if they keep the battery out, they run the risk of forgetting to fix it before leaving and then they'll have a semi-useless controller unless they have a tri-wing of their own until they see me again in a week, which wouldn't go over well, especially with some of our younger players and their parents.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

LanceKing2200 posted:

It may be something I have to look into in the future, but it's very unintuitive, especially to new players. It also presents a problem, if they use it to just pop the battery in and out it's no different than just hitting the sync button, it'll reconnect if a button is pressed, but if they keep the battery out, they run the risk of forgetting to fix it before leaving and then they'll have a semi-useless controller unless they have a tri-wing of their own until they see me again in a week, which wouldn't go over well, especially with some of our younger players and their parents.

That looked frustrating as hell (it annoyed me by proxy and I didn't even play any Smash For). Nintendo does some cool poo poo but they have some dumb oversights in their interface design sometimes... The clear solution is to protect each Wii U or imprison each stray controller in a multi-layer aluminum cocoon :tinfoil:

I'm sorry I missed the Smash For finals, was it recorded and will it be put up on YouTube despite the issues with the stream?

Also was it your Zelda I played a bunch of P:M friendlies with, after all the tourneys were mostly over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

LanceKing2200 posted:

Well, I mean, what you're describing are all issues caused by what I can most tenderly describe as player incompetence, and no software or hardware can really fix that. You just have to educate players, even the young ones, on etiquette and maintenance.

• Locked thread