Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Adding conditioning or strength training to your ma filled weeks is always been a bit of an mystery to me. If you wanna get good, the bulk of your training should be ma training, so if you manage to have 5 or 6 of those, that's great, but a regular person like me is pretty done after that, no way I'm lifting or running on top of that. Two or three of those ma sessions have to be more technique oriented and less rolling, sparring and conditioning if I want to have that much training in my week. I don't understand how pro-atheletes do it, other than roids and having a lot of lighter training.

As a regular dude it is very satisfying to dominate a bigger and stronger dude who uses half of his training time time lifting and conditioning (and roiding) because I use all of my training time in ma. I understand if you want to do all kinds of stuff for fun, that's of course great, but if you wanna get good you should be using your time in your chosen sport.

Strength/conditioning work isn't just a weak substitute for martial arts training though, it's actually more like an essential supplement. Use strength training outside the gym to give you more time to perfect your technical expertise on the mat, and to even out muscle imbalances caused by focusing on certain techniques and positions in rolling from week to week, and to work on fundamental stuff like core power and stability. Remember that even though you're happily dominating Mr. Muscles on the mat because he's beat from his weight training earlier, he's still probably learning just as much as you are, and you can bet he won't be showing up tired to the tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Strength and conditioning are important and can't be overlooked. We've had a bunch of pros getting ready for fights lately in both Muay Thai and MMA. We shark bait our guys to get them ready. There are guys who are better than me, but when I'm going in fresh and they're on their third minute/third guy, I can pretty much do whatever I want to them, even if they're bigger than me. I mean there are a ton of fights where you'll see a lower belted (BJJ) guy submit a higher belted guy, and it's almost always due to superior conditioning. The same can be said about kickboxing and wrestling, although without such rankings and easily recognized finishes it's hard to make it as apparent.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That's just plain stupid. Even for heavy workouts, we(Crossfit gym) rarely use more than 75lbs for walking lunges.

How difficult are they compared to regular lunges (stepping back)? For some reason I only do regular lunges and always found that you can lift a surprising amount of weight with them. Really close to what you lift doing front squats with both of your legs. Is it just the balance from having to "fall" forward during the step?

I know I'm doing them next time I'm in the gym. I just never saw why it would be worth going to the "alley" part of the gym when I can just stay right there in the squat rack

ManOfTheYear posted:

I guess this is the hardest part of it, I have no idea what is the correct way. Going too light is not terribly effective and going too hard taxes your body too much. I think you'd have to experiment a lot before you find something that suits you, but I never had the patience for that.

Well I found that powerlifting style of lifting works fine if you're smart, bodybuilding isn't optimal for MA and makes your body so weak it's conterproductive.I only squat/deadlift heavy either when I don't have judo the next day or if I'm going to go technique heavy instead of randori heavy. I don't mind being weaker in the upper body so I bench/overhead press the day before or even the same day if it's in the morning. Conditionning/cardio can be done anytime and shouldn't affect you too much if you eat a lot and sleep well.

The main problem is finding time to fit that in your schedule.

Also, you really need to stick to something for 3+ week to see if it'll work for you. Your body can adjusts to a lot of stuff. Lifting is also a great way to keep injuries at bay. A lot of people try to do "sport specific" traning and just add extra volume to areas that are "overworked" by their sport.

A Wry Smile posted:

Remember that even though you're happily dominating Mr. Muscles on the mat because he's beat from his weight training earlier, he's still probably learning just as much as you are, and you can bet he won't be showing up tired to the tournament.

That's also a very good point

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 25, 2015

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

KingColliwog posted:

A lot of people try to do "sport specific" traning and just add extra volume to areas that are "overworked" by their sport.

Can you elaborate a bit? Never heard of this before.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

How difficult are they compared to regular lunges (stepping back)? For some reason I only do regular lunges and always found that you can lift a surprising amount of weight with them. Really close to what you lift doing front squats with both of your legs. Is it just the balance from having to "fall" forward during the step?

I know I'm doing them next time I'm in the gym. I just never saw why it would be worth going to the "alley" part of the gym when I can just stay right there in the squat rack

Well I found that powerlifting style of lifting works fine if you're smart, bodybuilding isn't optimal for MA and makes your body so weak it's conterproductive.I only squat/deadlift heavy either when I don't have judo the next day or if I'm going to go technique heavy instead of randori heavy. I don't mind being weaker in the upper body so I bench/overhead press the day before or even the same day if it's in the morning. Conditionning/cardio can be done anytime and shouldn't affect you too much if you eat a lot and sleep well.

The main problem is finding time to fit that in your schedule.

Also, you really need to stick to something for 3+ week to see if it'll work for you. Your body can adjusts to a lot of stuff. Lifting is also a great way to keep injuries at bay. A lot of people try to do "sport specific" traning and just add extra volume to areas that are "overworked" by their sport.

That's also a very good point

Bodybuilding in the sense of trying to workout to have a perfect physique is dumb for martial arts I agree, but there is something to be said for targeted work outs added in around compound lifts. I usually try to gun through a 45 minute lifting session by doing targetted stuff off doing compound lifts and I don't think I've ever had a muscular injury. i.e. Squats, leg press, hamstring curls, quad extensions, calf raises in a session.

Benchpress, shoulder press, incline dumbell, tricep extensions / skull crushers.

Dead lifts, bent over rows, seated rows, lat pull downs, chin ups, bicep curls.

That kind of stuff. I don't go in arnold style and go "oh my shoulder's need work" and focus on being pretty, but targetting groups I find help improve my compound lifts.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 26, 2015

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

ManOfTheYear posted:

Can you elaborate a bit? Never heard of this before.

I was trying to find a quote that said it better than I ever could but I can't find it so here it goes.

I'll take judo as an example since that's what I do. As a judoka, your first instinct when you go to the gym might be to go "I'll do a lot of rows and a lot of explosive rotation because that's what I use in judo". If you train 4 times a week, you probably already do a poo poo ton of that so it should not be your main focus. You're better off doing mostly basic compound movements to put strength everywhere and keep your body healthy and injury free. Add some accessory to work on areas that don't get enough love or stuff that further prevents injuries (face-pulls, etc.).

Conditioning/cardio is where I try to do more sport specific stuff. It should also probably be your main focus if you're trying to get better at competitions because people are all gassing out in competitions.

Basically I think when you go lift weight, your main focus should be to keep your body in good shape so that you can keep training your MA as much as you want for as long as you want while still developing strength. Don't lift to be better next month, lift to be better next year (and still doing judo next year). Especially if you're not going to be a high level athlete, not getting injured should be your main priority in my opinion. And if you're an elite athlete you probably already have a coach that knows much more than I ever will so do what he tells you. The older I get, the more I believe in that philosophy.

BlindSite posted:

Bodybuilding in the sense of trying to workout to have a perfect physique is dumb for martial arts I agree, but there is something to be said for targeted work outs added in around compound lifts. I usually try to gun through a 45 minute lifting session by doing targetted stuff off doing compound lifts and I don't think I've ever had a muscular injury. i.e. Squats, leg press, hamstring curls, quad extensions, calf raises in a session.

Benchpress, shoulder press, incline dumbell, tricep extensions / skull crushers.

Dead lifts, bent over rows, seated rows, lat pull downs, chin ups, bicep curls.

That kind of stuff. I don't go in arnold style and go "oh my shoulder's need work" and focus on being pretty, but targetting groups I find help improve my compound lifts.

Yeah I'm not saying "do only compound movements". I'm saying don't do a bodybuilding routine (something like that : http://liamrosen.com/blog/?p=6 ). This will both make you weak and sore beyond belief and obviously isn't optimal for martial arts. The routines I like the most (Candito Training HQ Linear program and Westside for skinny bastards) have a fair amount of accessory exercises.

edit : \/\/ see, this is much better than all those words I wrote in the past 3-4 posts \/\/

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 26, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fatherdog posted:

If you want to get better at Judo, spend as much time as possible training Judo, which will result in better Judo.

Realistically, you are going to have some free time where you can't train Judo for logistical reasons. Spend most of it training cardio, because the better your cardio is, the more quality reps you will be able to perform during drilling and the sharper your technique will be during randori, which will result in better judo.

Probably you will have some other extra time in addition to that. Spend it on strength and flexibility training, because both of those help prevent injuries, and the more time you spend uninjured the more time you'll be able to spend training Judo, which will result in better Judo.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

fatherdog posted:

If you want to get better at Judo, spend as much time as possible training Judo, which will result in better Judo.

Realistically, you are going to have some free time where you can't train Judo for logistical reasons. Spend most of it training cardio, because the better your cardio is, the more quality reps you will be able to perform during drilling and the sharper your technique will be during randori, which will result in better judo.

Probably you will have some other extra time in addition to that. Spend it on strength and flexibility training, because both of those help prevent injuries, and the more time you spend uninjured the more time you'll be able to spend training Judo, which will result in better Judo.

Welp, this is some wisdom in a nutshell. The cardio part is especially true, and on top of having more quality reps and sharper technique, you have way better concentration because it will take way longer to get tired which means even better randori. You just feel good and and you enjoy your training more. For the longest while I just ran and did push-ups and pull-ups on top of judo, so the most simnple poo poo there is and it was extremely effective, even if it wasn't very sport-specific.

KingColliwog posted:

You're better off doing mostly basic compound movements to put strength everywhere and keep your body healthy and injury free. Add some accessory to work on areas that don't get enough love or stuff that further prevents injuries (face-pulls, etc.).

Basically I think when you go lift weight, your main focus should be to keep your body in good shape so that you can keep training your MA as much as you want for as long as you want while still developing strength. Don't lift to be better next month, lift to be better next year (and still doing judo next year). Especially if you're not going to be a high level athlete, not getting injured should be your main priority in my opinion. And if you're an elite athlete you probably already have a coach that knows much more than I ever will so do what he tells you. The older I get, the more I believe in that philosphy

I'll take this to heart, thanks for the advice man.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I know I should be running more than once a week but I also want my arms to look sexy when I'm boxing

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

fatherdog posted:

Quoting again, because what he said.

For content, the coach showing me the mitts.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

how the gently caress :how:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

how the gently caress :how:

Now watch the Frazier fight where he tried that and got his body punched to oblivion.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

BlindSite posted:

Now watch the Frazier fight where he tried that and got his body punched to oblivion.
Longo imparting wisdom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngiAfojnCZM

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 27, 2015

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Today I was visited by the BJJ gods, so I was rolling with a dude he god in my guard and i do the usual thing of pulling him down whenever he gets up. Playing it safe and defensively, but a very brazilian voice rang in my head...

"Não fazê-lo vir para você, vá para ele"
"what"
"Não fazê-lo vir para você, levante-se e vá para ele"
"no really, what"
"Eu já disse a você o que você precisa fazer! Sua porra fácil você estúpido idiota !!!"
"Oh poo poo"

So I posted up, twisted my hips and swept the guy and got top on mount. And for the next few minutes we where sweeping each other until i got his back and... time ran out.

It was pretty loving sweet.

yes i realize this is not really brazilian portuguese, shut up

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009
I have an eating issue. I work in the afternoons and have Judo at night. I can't eat at work, and by the time I get off I'm starving, but I only have an hour to eat and digest before Judo. What would be the best thing to eat that would stop me from being hungry but not make me feel like garbage during a workout?

The other solution is to not eat dinner until 10:00 PM. I've heard that eating late is unhealthy, but I don't know how true that is.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Space human being posted:

The other solution is to not eat dinner until 10:00 PM. I've heard that eating late is unhealthy, but I don't know how true that is.

It's mostly not true. There are some possible sleep effects but they vary heavily per person. In general it's a tip people give when dieting to prevent over eating, because people tend to get hungry for snacks right before bed.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Why don't you get a lunch break, human being?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have an eating issue. I work in the afternoons and have Judo at night. I can't eat at work, and by the time I get off I'm starving, but I only have an hour to eat and digest before Judo. What would be the best thing to eat that would stop me from being hungry but not make me feel like garbage during a workout?

My between work and gym snack is a flour tortilla with peanut butter wrapped around a banana. Usually filling enough to get me through 2 hours of class, and light enough that I'm not throwing up on my partner.

Novum posted:

If his schedule is anything like mine, I have an early lunch, then work for 5 hours, then have 45 minutes to get to the gym, then I'm home around 9:30. I don't have a weird job that forbids me from having snack in the middle of the day though, and I will often have trail mix with me.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 27, 2015

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Yeah there's gotta be something you can snack on- nuts, protein bar/shake, pb&j... whatever it takes to get the calories in with an appropriate digestion period before class. If you're starving when you get off work and you still skip eating until after class you absolutely won't have the fuel to learn/train properly, and if you eat immediately before class you'll just spend the whole time digesting while your body saps your energy trying to get blood to all its working parts at once. Keep in mind that if you're already starving when you leave work then you're not even getting enough fuel during the day to be a fully functioning employee in those last cpl hours, so if you can find a way to improve your nutrition you'll even see it reflected in your job performance.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Can you eat a protein bar or something at work?

I've always understood that it isn't eating late in and of itself that isn't healthy, it is eating right before bed. But I'm not up on what is currently the advice on much of anything.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009

Novum posted:

I start at 2:00 in the afternoon so I've already had lunch by then. I have time to fit in an occasional snack but I can't, like, eat. It's just awkward to start training at 8:00 when you haven't had a meal since lunch.

Since it sounds like I'm going to have to make the most of snacking, which protein bars do people like the most? Or should I keep an industrial sized tub of trail mix in my car?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I usually have a banana and some yogurth when I need to eat too close to class to have a proper meal. Then I eat my real dinner afterwads regardless of how late it is..

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
fruit, brother. Anyway, gently caress turtle week

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
If I've missed a meal, I have an apple and an orange on the walk. I don't like the taste of bananas but I really wanna try the tortilla, peanut butter, banana thing. In other news, I sprained my wrist doing burpees :(

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Ehh... If you aren't running a marathon or have diabetes or something then food timing is like 90% just what you are used to. I got bored of paying for lunch so I pretty much never eat before leaving work and just eat like a fruit or some veggies before heading off to practice. I eat when I get home, which is usually between 8PM and 10PM on most days...

Edit: gently caress burpees.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I try to eat dinner at 5PM sharpish, or else im miserable as gently caress. Also

General Emergency posted:

Edit: gently caress burpees.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Yeah, I'm pretty sure most of the minor stuff people talk about is bullsht. Eat decent food and work out and I doubt it remotely matters if you eat too late at night or have protein for breakfast or whatever the gently caress else. I work out after work and cook after I get home, so I usually eat at like 10pm or later and go to bed pretty soon after and I have pretty sick abs, hth.

KingColliwog posted:

Basically I think when you go lift weight, your main focus should be to keep your body in good shape so that you can keep training your MA as much as you want for as long as you want while still developing strength. Don't lift to be better next month, lift to be better next year (and still doing judo next year). Especially if you're not going to be a high level athlete, not getting injured should be your main priority in my opinion. And if you're an elite athlete you probably already have a coach that knows much more than I ever will so do what he tells you. The older I get, the more I believe in that philosophy.

This is super good advice in general. I used to lift as my main thing, then I stopped lifting for a couple of years, and now I'm starting up again as a supplement to other sports. I'm moving way less weight than I used to, but like you say I'm really trying to use it as a means to an end - I wanna be better at my main sports in a year, not get a personal best squat in a month. It's no use to me if I get injured trying to lift as much as I used to despite only going for one or two short sessions a week, or if I get stronger but at the expense of my other training.

That said, sometimes I go for a gym session before bjj. I'm kind of huge, so I'm usually rolling with people a fair bit smaller than me and I find being a bit tired really helps me rely on technique instead of muscling people.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
When rolling tonight my coach basically let me get a leg scissor choke on him, just to see if I could finish it. After tapping out, he gasped "good job". Later noting that he wont talk trash on that move anymore, as previously he had described it as "kinda something you threaten, but anybody can basically gut it out" :smugdog:

Then I rolled w/ a blue belt and while struggling to free my isolated arm from under side control, my elbow gave a really loud POP. It doesn't hurt at all and I rolled for a few more rounds. So now I'm just icing it and dreading it being sore and hosed up tomorrow.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
i liek burpeez

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Ligur posted:

i liek burpeez

This is some 1984 loving-the-leader-bullshit.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ligur posted:

i liek burpeez

im so triggered right now :catstare:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I found this thread just now when I was idling around the forums. Nice OP! I've been doing some different styles of MA and I generally agree with everything in the OP, but ninjutsu being listed as something to avoid imho deserves a bit of comment. This is quite a long thread, so please feel free to ignore this if this has been covered already :)

Now, ninjutsu used to be a completely fair choice for MA training also in fairly modern times (say the eighties?), and roughly speaking it would involve mostly jujutsu stuff and hitting one another with sticks. The art supposedly hails back to 9 schools of war in feudal Japan, 6 out of which taught ninjutsu, or as it has been explained to me: how to gently caress over a man in armor when all you got is a rice pail and a fistful of gravel. Since this was about learning dirty tricks to kill folks with as little effort as possible in a medieval war setting (you need to conserve strength to be able to keep beating the poo poo out of people all day every day until they run out of people, or you die) there was very little in the way of competive elements. Also, spears and swords have very little street application, so there was little attraction for macho thugs to join. The end result was a pretty chill and theoretic MA for people who like history and stuff, and sticks. Despite having very violent themes, the lack of competitive elements makes actual injuries infrequent, making it overall a pretty good way to stay in shape and have some fun at the same time.

But then Eric van Lustbader started to publish his terrible tripe sweet jesus do not read this, not even for giggles, and the style saw a sudden influx of loving nutcases who wanted to learn how to become invisible and throw fireballs. And then (worse) there were these other nutcases that actually took these fuckers in and started giving terrible classes where they'd pajama up and scamper about throwing invisible fireballs at each other, almost exactly like terrible pajamaed nerds in the woods. This was so totally cramping the style of the original practitioners so most bailed ship and some started calling themselves Bujinkan budo taijutsu instead, and this is still a completely okay MA to do (presuming you're into killing people with non-competitive jujutsu and sticks). Actually, some places that kept their original ninjutsu name could still be totally ok as well, but exercise judgement, and don't go throwing any fireballs cause that's not how poo poo works, you gross nerd.

I guess my bottom line is that if you come across someone that claims to do ninjutsu and they're chill, then they're probably completely ok people. Otherwise they're probably a psycho or even a gross nerd. And some people may say ninjutsu when they mean bujinkan budo taijutsu, which is unfortunate, because bujinkan budo taijutsu is totally ok.

e: vvvvvv yeah there's that. I was thinking maybe I should put that in there, but I figured I'd been wordy enough as it was :)

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 28, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Karate Bastard posted:

I found this thread just now when I was idling around the forums. Nice OP! I've been doing some different styles of MA and I generally agree with everything in the OP, but ninjutsu being listed as something to avoid imho . The art supposedly hails back to 9 schools of war in feudal Japan, 6 out of which taught ninjutsu, or as it has been explained to me: how to gently caress over a man in armor when all you got is a rice pail and a fistful of gravel.

Except that there is no proof that ninjutsu as separate martial art ever existed. It's a gendai martial art and I would be totally cool with that if it would just call itself that.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Ligur posted:

i liek burpeez

I had to choose between doing 50 squats or 50 burpees for losing a sparring game at my JSA dojo. It was the easiest decision I've ever made in my entire life.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I can't imagine people who like history getting into ninjitsu for history's sake. BJJ is twice as old as ninjitsu, judo is twice as old as bjj, muay thai is five times as old as judo, wrestling is ten times as old as muay thai.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Ninja vanish!

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
On the topic of getting nervous before competition, how do you guys deal with it? I've realized that I get extremely nervous, sleep pretty bad the night before and two or three hours before the matches starting I'm extremely nauseus and can't think about anything. Warming up calms me down a bit and once the action starts, it all vaporizes and I become loose and concentrated and can function normally and do my thing. I just think that the extreme nervousnes eats my stamina and it irritates me a bit.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

ManOfTheYear posted:

On the topic of getting nervous before competition, how do you guys deal with it? I've realized that I get extremely nervous, sleep pretty bad the night before and two or three hours before the matches starting I'm extremely nauseus and can't think about anything. Warming up calms me down a bit and once the action starts, it all vaporizes and I become loose and concentrated and can function normally and do my thing. I just think that the extreme nervousnes eats my stamina and it irritates me a bit.

Do more competitions, it's the n#1 way to overcome nervousness

Other than that, just do what you do whenever you're nervous about something. Personally I like to do a bit of meditation (just counting breaths and trying to clear your mind), listening to music and doing some light yoga doesn't hurt either. But there's not magic way out of stress. Just do whatever you found works for you when you're stressed. Watching a TV show for the 100th time might work for some while for others it might be going for a very light jog or just doing some visualisation.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I can't imagine people who like history getting into ninjitsu for history's sake. BJJ is twice as old as ninjitsu, judo is twice as old as bjj, muay thai is five times as old as judo, wrestling is ten times as old as muay thai.

Thanks for the horrible image of a historically accurate modern day Greco Roman wrestling match! :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

Thanks for the horrible image of a historically accurate modern day Greco Roman wrestling match! :stonk:

Killing your opponent in Pankration in the old olympics was legal.Pictured old roman handwraps for boxing, including pieces of metal.

• Locked thread