Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

Button just hit 100 laps. An actual thing that McLaren did. (on the 10th day of 12 days of testing)

And they just stopped on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
This year's cars are fast as hell

Too bad they sound like a wet fart though

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

@Susie_Wolff posted:

When that visor goes down it doesn't matter what you look like or what your gender is. #performance #speed #focus

:ironicat:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It helps if you're loving a key person of the engine supplier for your team though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

It helps if you're loving a key person of an engine supplier for your team though.

yeah I hate her bc she's the only racing driver ever to get a seat via knowing someone of importance

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

be nice wicka posted:

yeah I hate her bc she's the only racing driver ever to get a seat via knowing someone of importance

I hate her for sending out that pretentious tweet.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Vaginocracy is out of control.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Who knows what their vagenda really is

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

I hate her for sending out that pretentious tweet.

lol what in the world is pretentious about that you autist

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

Who knows what their vagenda really is

They aren't even in F1, stop with the bad puns.

be nice wicka posted:

lol what in the world is pretentious about that you autist

She's acting like she possesses some sort of skill while trying to send out an empowering message. If Chilton did that I'd be just as mad if not more so.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 27, 2015

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Williams is going to be a contender for the title(s) right until the very last race whereupon Massa wins the WDC from Lewis at the very last corner at a wet Interlagos.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You betas need to swallow /r/theredpill and claw your way out from under Susie and Claire's gynarchy. Wake up and smell the tampax.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

be nice wicka posted:

She's no Ralf Schumacher that's for sure!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

They aren't even in F1, stop with the bad puns.

She's acting like she possesses some sort of skill while trying to send out an empowering message. If Chilton did that I'd be just as mad if not more so.

wow it's almost like chilton is not of a gender that has been marginalized for the whole of human history

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

She's probably one of the highest reaching female racing drivers at the moment, since nobody else seems to have a sniff at a real F1 car. If there are legitimate girl racers with eyes on the big show, she'd likely be a source of inspiration.

Chilton's target market tweet would be something like "When the backrunners need funds, your dad's money is as good as anyone else's"

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CratSock posted:

She's probably one of the highest reaching female racing drivers at the moment, since nobody else seems to have a sniff at a real F1 car. If there are legitimate girl racers with eyes on the big show, she'd likely be a source of inspiration.

I know them. She is.

I see women in racing as a numbers game. You get enough of them taking part (and in karts there's some very good women about) then they'll start inching towards the front. Alice has won 2 (admittedly minor) actual championships in cars. You just need a few of them to result in a GP2 race winner grade woman taking up the sport and then you'll get the F1 winner.

It won't be quick probably. I do feel it's happening. In the last decade or so we've had the first 2 women win one level below the top open wheel in the US and one take a top level win. It's minor but it's more than any previous decade. Maybe in the next decade a woman will put together a multiple winning season in Indycar. Or one will make the podium in GP3 or GP2 in front of F1 level crowds. I suspect Susie would do a hell of a lot of good if she got the same run again this year at Silverstone without the thing breaking down.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Half of you would pay for F1 ride if you had the money and wouldn't die the first time you got in the car.

I would.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I totally would.

And I would genuinely fancy my chances of being quicker than Jorda too.

Can't wear the heels quite so well.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
http://sniffpetrol.com/2015/02/27/f1-fans-reveal-outdated-views/#.VPC7ifnF-So

sniffpetrol, the men's rights activists of the car world

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CratSock posted:

Fair enough, but this is a world where Michele Mouton got signed by Audi on her skills and merit, and could've won a world championship in Group B if things had played out differently in 82. I'm not on some woman can't drive rant, its more the fact that its a sad state that the role model for young woman drivers is a test driver who happens to have connections.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

Half of you would pay for F1 ride if you had the money and wouldn't die the first time you got in the car.

I would.

It's hard to say, without actually having the money. I think I'd just hang out in the gentleman racing league with all the other rich hacks unless I was routinely blowing them all off the track. Even as a driver, being competitive, and wanting to go head to head with the best... part of them HAS to know that they aren't really qualified or they would probably be there without paying their own salary. Nobody wants to be the next Chanoch Nissany.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Fair enough, but this is a world where Michele Mouton got signed by Audi on her skills and merit, and could've won a world championship in Group B if things had played out differently in 82. I'm not on some woman can't drive rant, its more the fact that its a sad state that the role model for young woman drivers is a test driver who happens to have connections.

That's an adult's perspective, someone who understands that the world doesn't work on merit. Kids don't understand "connections". Unless they've had some kind of business upbringing, they don't realize the power and point of networking, rubbing shoulders with the right people, of putting yourself in the right place at the right time with the right people. It's why an awful lot of the top drivers were managed by their parents (at first) who did understand these things. A kid might know or learn how to drive fast, but they might not understand that they should behave correctly around daddy's friend with the suit because a few weeks after they had their grown up drinks they might get some stickers to put on the kart and daddy could afford new tires all of a sudden. If a kid sees a girl at a top racing team, they aren't going to think "she must be married to one of the team managers" or "yeah well she's just a 'test driver' they only hired for publicity", they're going to think "she must be good at racing cars because she is a race car driver and works for Racing Team". The bitter cynicism comes later in life.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

In a sport where the better connected drivers make it to the top the small pool of women have far less chances. Once in a while you get a Senna, Schumacher or Vettel that rides some money and luck to a good drive, but a big fraction of the grid are there for commercial reasons. Simona Di Silvestro is the real deal and she got screwed by Sauber; she could have been a contender and I'm gutted she's not in open wheel racing somewhere this year.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
You mean Simona brought a real deal amount of money to Sauber and when she couldn't pay anymore, got kicked out. She's been awful in open wheel so far.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Can anyone confirm that a young Nico Rosberg was a member of the band East 17....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a3ETB5QFrM&t=57s

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uncle Jam posted:

You mean Simona brought a real deal amount of money to Sauber and when she couldn't pay anymore, got kicked out. She's been awful in open wheel so far.

?

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Uncle Jam posted:

She's been awful in open wheel so far.

Huh? She had a very good Indycar run with KV.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I think you misread because the article I read basically said "Shame on lotus for hiring a driver as a pair of boobs in heels to parade around like a piece of meat"

Truly the vilest of lotuses

Fake edit, I meant to write 'evilest' but I actually think that works better

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Insiders say since competing in just one race 18 years ago, Mastercard Lola has been working constantly on the car and the team is now confident it is only eight or nine seconds off the pace, depending on how windy it is. Despite an outdated chassis, F1 sources say the team could be allowed to compete this year as long as certain criteria are met, such as promising not to tit about fitting the wrong engine and agreeing not to let Ricardo Rosset drive the car.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Human Grand Prix posted:

Insiders say since competing in just one race 18 years ago, Mastercard Lola has been working constantly on the car and the team is now confident it is only eight or nine seconds off the pace, depending on how windy it is. Despite an outdated chassis, F1 sources say the team could be allowed to compete this year as long as certain criteria are met, such as promising not to tit about fitting the wrong engine and agreeing not to let Ricardo Rosset drive the car.

Put Carmen Jorda in the car and she might struggle to keep pace with the safety car.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ricardo Rosset sells shoes now.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

On the sea shore.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

Ricardo Rosset sells shoes now.

Eddie Irvine runs a paint balling and karting place

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

simplefish posted:

Also he is likely to get/has got 6 months in prison but it has been/is likely to be a suspended sentence

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

simplefish posted:

Uh, he also has a shitload of property and has made more money from that poo poo than he ever did from F1.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

simplefish posted:

Truly the vilest of lotuses

A bit of cheesecake is a lot less vile than Lotus' heritage of killing drivers in unsafe cars. Still a poo poo team though.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

gret posted:

Put Carmen Jorda in the car and she might struggle to keep pace with the safety car.

How fast is the modern safety car and at what point in history would it have out qualified all other cars on the grid? Genuinely interested.

entropy1049
Apr 2, 2010

Line the pan with Crisco when I dance this Disco.

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

A bit of cheesecake is a lot less vile than Lotus' heritage of killing drivers in unsafe cars. Still a poo poo team though.

I'd just like to request that we don't confuse Lotus F1 with Team Lotus. Because Lotus 49.

entropy1049 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Feb 28, 2015

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.

entropy1049 posted:

I'd just like to request that we don't confuse Lotus F1 with Lotus Racing. Because Lotus 49.

Also, best not to confuse either of them with Team Lotus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entropy1049
Apr 2, 2010

Line the pan with Crisco when I dance this Disco.

Ilanin posted:

Also, best not to confuse either of them with Team Lotus.

My Derp.

• Locked thread