Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

I work retail and half the staff who work there are always calling in sick, so my phone rings constantly when they want to call me in.

I set the ringtone for work's number to Silver Lights and now whenever I hear the song under any capacity I get twitchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Songbearer posted:

I set the ringtone for work's number to Silver Lights

What kind of sick person are you ? Sick enough to enjoy hurting other people, I'll bet.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Do you like hurting serving other people?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Nope, one's controlled by AI. I think they said awhile back that you can switch with one your controlling.

Not AI. You control both at once. Right clicking shoots with the rear swan, left clicking chainsaws with the front one.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Woah gently caress, I just blew my mind. I was running through the game for funsies, and then I realized.
Vengeance's first room is the exact same place Biker goes in Resolution. Jacket really was THIS close to solving the case, jesus.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Ledgy posted:

Woah gently caress, I just blew my mind. I was running through the game for funsies, and then I realized.
Vengeance's first room is the exact same place Biker goes in Resolution. Jacket really was THIS close to solving the case, jesus.

Incredible.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Ledgy posted:

Yep, it's even got the same music!

Though I'd hardly say he was close to solving the case, since even Biker just runs into them if he doesn't know the password, and there's no reason for Jacket to crawl into the sewers (then again, that's how he gets the Jones mask, and that's going into the sewers for even less reason). In any case, I'm 100% certain that it was intentional on the Janitors' part, seeing as they straight up love loving with people, and spend lots of time admiring their own handiwork. They hang out in plain sight during two of Jacket's missions! I'm sure they thought it was hilarious that they framed their own victims for the killings.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The idea of an entire army of paranoid, delusional people who are willing to kill people being used by a nefarious person/organization is pretty neat. The only other thing I've heard of that uses something similar is "Look at the Birdie" by Kurt Vonnegut, which is a bit of a mindfuck.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
As I said before I don't think Jacket really cared at all who he was working for as long as he could keep hurting people.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 28, 2015

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah I don't think the 50 Blessings recruits were delusional so much as nihilistic, and Fight club definitely had a private army of nihilists. Hotline Miami did a better job of getting across the concept of "what the gently caress is wrong with these guys, Jesus Christ" than Fight Club seems to have though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

When you get down to it, Tyler Durden's cool, he's good looking (being played by Brad Pitt will do that), he commands respect... Basically the polar opposite of everyone in these games. HLM nailed the seediness and depravity of the setting. Fight Club, as much as I love the movie, made folks think 'drat, getting punched in the face by strangers is loving awesome!'

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, aside from Hotline being fun to play it really does a good job of avoiding glamorizing all of its all messed up cast.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, aside from Hotline being fun to play it really does a good job of avoiding glamorizing all of its all messed up cast.

Not well enough to avoid having some fans, of course.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Anatharon posted:

Well there will always be those people.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Anatharon posted:

I don't think anyone's a fan of Jacket or Biker as characters, just the aesthetics surrounding them. The Jacket/Richard combo is loving cool-looking.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't think being "a fan" of a character like Jacket is any different from being a fan of a slasher movie villain or murderous "anti-hero" (like the characters in Rob Zombie's movies). It doesn't mean you think real killing is cool, it's the anarchic nature of the characters and the aesthetic. And violence is exciting, even when it's disgusting and unsettling.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Hotline Miami manages to feel more grimy and nasty than a thousand and one videogames that use a quarter of its pallet and a hundred times more detail. That's a massive loving accomplishment.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

King Vidiot posted:

I don't think being "a fan" of a character like Jacket is any different from being a fan of a slasher movie villain or murderous "anti-hero" (like the characters in Rob Zombie's movies). It doesn't mean you think real killing is cool, it's the anarchic nature of the characters and the aesthetic. And violence is exciting, even when it's disgusting and unsettling.

When the whole point of a character is to point out how broken and awful they and the world they inhabit is then, yes, it is kind of stupid/hosed up to idolize them. People who like to dress up like Jacket are like the people who buy Patrick Bateman action figures or replicas of the scorpion jacket from Drive.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I don't think anyone's a fan of Jacket or Biker as characters, just the aesthetics surrounding them. The Jacket/Richard combo is loving cool-looking.

I think Anatheron was making a joke about the characters in HLM2, The Fans.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
It's okay to like things or even parts of things

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I think jacket is the coolest because he is a broken shell of a man and isn't afraid of anyone

Full Battle Rattle, age 6

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i like jacket cuz he's a real human being and a real hero

~synth~

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Callin' in to say I pre-ordered the game also. Digi Deluxe for the Jacket pack with tape recorder messages Remix EP. And speaking of music, I'm guessing there's not a full version of the one used in the trailer for the Steam Storepage?

Zooey Dave Chapelle
Oct 27, 2013
I'm super hyped for this game. This is gonna be the longest 10 days of my life.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Sleeveless posted:

When the whole point of a character is to point out how broken and awful they and the world they inhabit is then, yes, it is kind of stupid/hosed up to idolize them. People who like to dress up like Jacket are like the people who buy Patrick Bateman action figures or replicas of the scorpion jacket from Drive.

except driver was a decent sort and jacket is much less so

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Milky Moor posted:

except driver was a decent sort and jacket is much less so

The driver was pretty hosed up too man

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

widespread posted:

Callin' in to say I pre-ordered the game also. Digi Deluxe for the Jacket pack with tape recorder messages Remix EP. And speaking of music, I'm guessing there's not a full version of the one used in the trailer for the Steam Storepage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhhQrFfzFM4 is what you're looking for, I think.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

the driver went from kissing a chick to murdering a dude then ditching her to murder some more dudes in the span of like half a minute i dont think he was a very nice person

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

tbf pretty much everyone he killed kinda deserved it

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm not an artist but I put together a bunch of posters for shows I'm part of and I rip off so much Hotline Miami art and aesthetics it's ridiculous. Everything about it is just so cool and grimy.

Yeah Driver was crazy as gently caress but he didn't kill any normal people or seem to really Like Hurting People, which is way more than can be said for Jacket.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm not an artist but I put together a bunch of posters for shows I'm part of and I rip off so much Hotline Miami art and aesthetics it's ridiculous. Everything about it is just so cool and grimy.

got any samples?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Draxion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhhQrFfzFM4 is what you're looking for, I think.

I thought it wasn't it at first. Then that part kicked in and I went "Ahhhhh".
Yep, whole song's fuckin amaze.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

got any samples?

Not gonna post any because I'm on my phone and they have identifying info I'd have to edit out and, again, they're really amateur because I just cludge images together and throw in a filter that makes it fit with the rest of the poster, but like I've cut out Jacket from this and desaturated him aside from red highlights for one:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

http://youtu.be/AixOBp15KdI

This guy is pretty fascinating. He says that the endings are basically, "If you wanted a more meaningful ending, you got one, if you don't, you don't."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Can Hotline Miami 2 be gifted to Australian goons?

Someone wanna help a guy out?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah Driver was crazy as gently caress but he didn't kill any normal people or seem to really Like Hurting People, which is way more than can be said for Jacket.

You ever hear the story about the scorpion and the frog?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
does anyone have that picture of the goon in the driver jacket?

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Can Hotline Miami 2 be gifted to Australian goons?

Someone wanna help a guy out?

It might be possible with the gog.com version since it won't have DRM.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Poolparty posted:

It might be possible with the gog.com version since it won't have DRM.

Yeah, but I also want to get in on that Payday 2 DLC which apparently GOG doesn't get?

And I'm not keen about sending my ID to the devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

You ever hear the story about the scorpion and the frog?

Yeah, Hurting People was definitely nature for both Driver and Jacket, but only Jacket started doing it for a thrill as opposed to Driver doing it (returning to it likely, but we don't see why he did before the movie) out of necessity.

• Locked thread