Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bown posted:

ladies and gentlemen, why people talk poo poo about this thread.

that's pretty tame in comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bown posted:

ladies and gentlemen, why people talk poo poo about this thread.

Because they are in self destructive relationship to the point they shut themselves off form the world and start exhibit suicidal tendencies?

Poor people. :smith:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I did preface it with "I might watch too many true crime shows."
Hell, I'm literally watching Dateline right now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
haha yeah but at least some of the weirder stuff gets backed up. this is just "hey, what if this thing that isn't actually in the episode whatsoever but is dark interpretation LOL".

anyway the post right after my last one was great so hey.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

frank.club posted:

that's pretty tame in comparison

You can take out critical analysis when you pry it from our cold overly verbose hands :colbert:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I didn't really try to pull it out of my rear end. People were already talking about slit wrists. You pair that with a woman who hides out in a cave, does weird things with bodies, has books about cloning and overcoming mortality, throw in her lover that's unaccounted for, diary pages that are missing and whose last pages are weird, sporadic poo poo?

I mean, drat.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bown posted:

haha yeah but at least some of the weirder stuff gets backed up. this is just "hey, what if this thing that isn't actually in the episode whatsoever but is dark interpretation LOL".

anyway the post right after my last one was great so hey.

I skimmed through your p/h to find something to savagely own you with and discovered the 2nd most awful post in thread

Bown posted:

I'm so glad the show isn't like this anymore.

In response to Finn_gets_touched_by_the_sea.gif

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
This was a pretty weird episode for me to watch, since my name is also B.P. Justin.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

I skimmed through your p/h to find something to savagely own you with and discovered the 2nd most awful post in thread

In response to Finn_gets_touched_by_the_sea.gif

I've rewatched the entire show since then and although season 1 was way better than I remembered I still feel the same way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm not getting where some of you think BP killed Justin. Care to illuminate?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Viginti posted:

I really loved this episode, but i'll be honest, I was a little distracted by the fact that the girls name was BP.

Same but only for some time at the beginning, then went back to check and realized it was a new girl and not one of the princesses or PB or something, before resume watching.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Did... they say "try to cut my veins" on this show?

It's good to know that this show can still surprise me.

When was this

dr_rat posted:

Giving advice to it's audience through T.V about the dangers of living vicariously through figures in the media,
Is it? I'm not sure whether TV's obsession over the diary is portrayed as being positive or negative. On one hand maybe it's saying look how alone and cut off TV is, but on the other hand maybe it's saying look how much more interesting it is to get to know a person than a videogame. I really don't know that it's a negative portrayal.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bown posted:

I've rewatched the entire show since then and although season 1 was way better than I remembered I still feel the same way.

I'm just happy you could make that response in a single sentence.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I had a post started, but it might just be best if we drop it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

When was this

Is it? I'm not sure whether TV's obsession over the diary is portrayed as being positive or negative. On one hand maybe it's saying look how alone and cut off TV is, but on the other hand maybe it's saying look how much more interesting it is to get to know a person than a videogame. I really don't know that it's a negative portrayal.

At the point that your losing touch with reality and thinking your a fictional (or in the case the episode, another) person, I would say that its gone past the point of a healthy interest. In the end he did learn something from it, so in that sense it was positive, but I think much like B.P, T.V suffers through an un-healthy episode, although obviously not nearly to the same extent, partly becasue of the the lesson learnt.

As the episode seemed to show both the videogame and the diary both seems to be methods of escapism, but with the diary including a narrative being relatable to T.V and something he can learn form, in that sense it was positive, but the experience he had reading it still seemed defiantly negative to me with the episode making the argument negative experiences can lead to positive outcomes if they are learnt from and built on, and can lead to you being a better person. I mean you could say that's just semantics but I think there is a difference.

But to me T.V was in a pretty unhealthy space during most of it, and sure he came out okay but that didn't necessarily have to be the case. If he didn't get that closure at the end would he of kept obsessing over the story, would he of tried to find out what happened to Justine, tried to keep on piecing everything together even if important bits were missing and it was literally an impossible task? He was pretty much given closure to the story by Deus ex machina, there have been plenty of real life stories of people obsessing over past mysteries there entire lives with out any real chance of finding the same. From what we saw I seems that could easily been him.

Would of rightly hosed with the moral of the story though if it was though.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Well Dr.Rat, wouldn't it make sense to say that the obsession was unhealthy when he did it alone but healthy when he involved his dad/a friend. So it's ok to use stories as a way of communicating and bonding with others, but maybe not as a replacement for communicating or bonding with others.

So, perhaps the writers are telling everyone to join a comment thread and share their crazy theories about the show, like Das Boo did that crazy crab hand theory. They're not, that would be a waste of an episode, but while we're spit-balling about ways w can twist this episode to be about us...

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Das Boo I enjoyed your interpretation of the episode even though it was kind of out there.

It's not like you're stifling "legitimate" conversation. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bass Bottles posted:

Das Boo I enjoyed your interpretation of the episode even though it was kind of out there.

It's not like you're stifling "legitimate" conversation. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

He who is without adventure time fanfic should throw the first stone imo

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 17, 2015

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Huge news: WB is planning an Adventure Time movie, with Pendleton Ward writing and producing.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Bass Bottles posted:

:agreed:

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015

Hmmmmm, i'm not too pleased about this, but that's probably just me being cynical. I love that the show has gotten to a point where it can be this weird and conventionally unsatisfying and I fear a movie will just normalize things in an attempt to please a wider audience. Without the disposability and the lack of long term consequences that comes with the ten minute format I wonder how many risks they will take. It won't effect the show of course, and I should have faith in this team, but I would just as soon the show continue its path away from its phenomenon status and mass merchandising and into darker corners of its world.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Who are half of those characters in the picture at the top of the article? Did they just grab a picture full of fanfic characters off deviantart or something?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

kind of, most of those are from the alternate Ooo with gender bender characters

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

robot roll call posted:

Who are half of those characters in the picture at the top of the article? Did they just grab a picture full of fanfic characters off deviantart or something?

Yeah, classic characters like "boobafina" and "evil guy" lol

I think I remember Boobafina as a throw-away joke in season 1???

Pumped for a movie, though. The 11 minute format fits most episodes but there have been stories that could have been much longer. I'm certain there are viable movie plots for the AT universe.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

ChairMaster posted:

This blew my mind:

I wish I could do that more than anything in the world. TV is my spirit animal.

My favorite detail about him is that, despite being spherical, he somehow has a neckbeard. Way to nail the characterization, AT team!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

dr_rat posted:

PB manage to get over her unhealth obsession with Justine

Did you have a stroke right about here?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Newspaper headline 'Castle Wrecked...Candy People To Blame' is referring to the Pajama Wars episode.

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
Why did this episode have to happen right after I had marathoned three seasons of Bob's Burgers? Tina is my favorite character on that show.

Pretty great episode, seriously. The show has really become less about Finn & Jake and more about the world they live in.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Say Nothing posted:

Newspaper headline 'Castle Wrecked...Candy People To Blame' is referring to the Pajama Wars episode.

lol at Startchy doing the "I don't give a gently caress" pose

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Viginti posted:

Hmmmmm, i'm not too pleased about this, but that's probably just me being cynical. I love that the show has gotten to a point where it can be this weird and conventionally unsatisfying and I fear a movie will just normalize things in an attempt to please a wider audience. Without the disposability and the lack of long term consequences that comes with the ten minute format I wonder how many risks they will take. It won't effect the show of course, and I should have faith in this team, but I would just as soon the show continue its path away from its phenomenon status and mass merchandising and into darker corners of its world.
Five Not So Short Graybles

Bass Bottles posted:

Pumped for a movie, though. The 11 minute format fits most episodes but there have been stories that could have been much longer. I'm certain there are viable movie plots for the AT universe.
Yeah the longer story arcs kinda show what they can do given more time, otherwise there's just a whole lot of stuff in the universe at this point. Like follow multiple characters' interconnected stories to break up the long format could be one way of handling it.

Or a two hour long uninterrupted cut of Jake the Brick.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

japtor posted:

Five Not So Short Graybles
One Really Long Grayble

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

All I know is, this film had better have some scary parts. Like the scary parts of a Don Bluth film scary.
Kids' movies are too timid to do that kind of stuff these days and I think our culture suffers as a result.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Applewhite posted:

All I know is, this film had better have some scary parts. Like the scary parts of a Don Bluth film scary.
Kids' movies are too timid to do that kind of stuff these days and I think our culture suffers as a result.

Don Bluth never did anything as scary as "Here's your Gold Star!" so I think this film will be okay.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

G-III posted:

Don Bluth never did anything as scary as "Here's your Gold Star!" so I think this film will be okay.

What about Judge Doom level scary?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Do kids even enjoy watching adventure time anymore? Only man children with liberal arts degrees? I do not think they would aim a large film release for a kids cartoon that would be a complete flop with kids. Fart jokes here we come! And I thank Glob (RIP) for that.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
Can we talk about how this episode was showing Jake getting old? There were a few subtle instances even aside from the fact that he spent the whole episode being "dad".
For instance, at breakfast after TV says he's "Not hungs" and walk out, Jake says he "Just needed a push from his old man" and for just a moment he gets all wrinkly and has a little cough. And later when TV is riding on his back to the cave, Jake is sweating and clearly having a hard time with the physical exertion. He's always been lazy, but this is different, and felt like more than a one-episode gag.

I know he's always been older than Finn, but as a dog (half-dog half-shapeshifting-monster, whatever) is he aging faster than Finn too?

Is he going to outgrow Finn at some point, simply unable to keep up anymore?

Is Finn going to need a new adventuring companion once Jake settles down?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TV is a computer obsessed, shutin. He's going to be heavy to carry. Not sure what the coughing was about though.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

IUG posted:

TV is a computer obsessed, shutin. He's going to be heavy to carry. Not sure what the coughing was about though.

Jake is old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Moacher posted:

Can we talk about how this episode was showing Jake getting old? There were a few subtle instances even aside from the fact that he spent the whole episode being "dad".
For instance, at breakfast after TV says he's "Not hungs" and walk out, Jake says he "Just needed a push from his old man" and for just a moment he gets all wrinkly and has a little cough. And later when TV is riding on his back to the cave, Jake is sweating and clearly having a hard time with the physical exertion. He's always been lazy, but this is different, and felt like more than a one-episode gag.

I know he's always been older than Finn, but as a dog (half-dog half-shapeshifting-monster, whatever) is he aging faster than Finn too?

Is he going to outgrow Finn at some point, simply unable to keep up anymore?

Is Finn going to need a new adventuring companion once Jake settles down?

Yeah, I noticed it, too. It's easy to dismiss both of those things as jokes so I didn't bring it up, but I have sorta been wondering about Jake's age for a while, I think there have been various small things here and there (smaller than these signs, even) that have made me wonder about him possibly aging (and potentially dying) faster than Finn. They've certainly been playing with the idea of Jake's mortality being a looming idea for a long time.

I certainly don't think he's going to die any time soon, but... either his death or him getting old could be a theme one day, maybe towards the end of the run. Or hell who knows, they could go total crazy and have Jake move in more and more with Lady and his family and make him sorta recurring, and give Finn a new adventuring partner. This show's nuts I wouldn't put much past them.

• Locked thread