Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

A client of ours, around 15 users, wants to enable roaming profiles for 3 of their accounts. No problem there. The problem is that the users who want to roam are email hoarders. I have seen 48GB and 28GB .pst's for these users. Obviously roaming isn't going to work while maintaining the same Outlook functionality, and in my experience putting a .pst on a share only works if the file size is small. An Exchange server is out of the question. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Gorson posted:

A client of ours, around 15 users, wants to enable roaming profiles for 3 of their accounts. No problem there. The problem is that the users who want to roam are email hoarders. I have seen 48GB and 28GB .pst's for these users. Obviously roaming isn't going to work while maintaining the same Outlook functionality, and in my experience putting a .pst on a share only works if the file size is small. An Exchange server is out of the question. Any suggestions?

I suggest you don't do this.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Gorson posted:

..... putting a .pst on a share only works if the file size is small....... Any suggestions?

Never ever do this, no matter what the file size. I did and regretted it. PSTs are already fickle enough beasts when running from a local hardrive. Throwing a network share into the mix guarantees even more problems. I don't think I had a single week go by without someone's PST getting corrupted. So many hours of running ScanPST.....

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

stevewm posted:

Never ever do this, no matter what the file size. I did and regretted it. PSTs are already fickle enough beasts when running from a local hardrive. Throwing a network share into the mix guarantees even more problems. I don't think I had a single week go by without someone's PST getting corrupted. So many hours of running ScanPST.....

Yeah believe me, I've been there with the .pst issues. By the time I am dead I will have spent half my life cleaning up email and fixing Outlook. Normally I would just tell them it won't work and will cause problems, but one of the clients is the owner (28GB .pst) and is not pleasant to work with. My suggestion is going to be that they either switch to web-based mail (HAH), or do not implement roaming. Thanks for the advice guys.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think you can avoid the worst .pst problems on a network by making it read-only. Filter everything that's from the previous year or earlier into one mega-pst, make it read only and then have a "Live" pst that they can make changes to. Worst case scenario, you'll only have to mess around with the smaller pst without worrying about the big one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think you can avoid the worst .pst problems on a network by making it read-only. Filter everything that's from the previous year or earlier into one mega-pst, make it read only and then have a "Live" pst that they can make changes to. Worst case scenario, you'll only have to mess around with the smaller pst without worrying about the big one.

But I need that email from six years ago.

Anyway, why the hell are they allowed to have 30-50 gigs of email?

FatUglyUseless
Dec 6, 2013

Gorson posted:

Is removing outlook, and forcing them to OWA an option if you are forced into this?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Cojawfee posted:

They still keep access to their giant liability pit of email, they just can't move poo poo around in folders anymore.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I had considered this, but wouldn't everything go to poo poo the second they access their MASSIVE archive across the network? The size of the .psts tend to make Outlook time out, local or not.

Cojawfee posted:

They are clients, one is the owner, and another her right-hand-woman. The last time the owners .pst blew up and corrupted she looked at me and said "what are you going to do about this", seconds after I had just gone through a long and detailed explanation of Outlook, pst files, and hoarding of email. In my politest, roundabout way I told her that she needed auto-archive set up, but mostly she needed to delete old email and purge junk and sent folders. None of this happened. Think of your most entitled clients, coworkers, or users, and you get the idea. They also rake in money but are very cheap when it comes to IT, even though nearly all of their business revolves around it.

FatUglyUseless posted:

Is removing outlook, and forcing them to OWA an option if you are forced into this?

They are so set in their ways I would probably have better luck converting them to Islam. They live through Outlook.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

They still keep access to their giant liability pit of email, they just can't move poo poo around in folders anymore.

Actually you may have hit on something there. If I can convince them it represents a liability issue I might be able to make some headway. The "e" in email stands for evidence!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
You can point desktop Outook at an OWA endpoint, though. That's how my work email is set up.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Gorson posted:

I had considered this, but wouldn't everything go to poo poo the second they access their MASSIVE archive across the network? The size of the .psts tend to make Outlook time out, local or not.

Oh, I think I missed a step.

So you've got the .pst backed up on the network. Put a copy of the .pst on their local computer and link to that. Since they're all read-only they'll always be identical.

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois
Is there any place where I can still get a Win 7 Pro 64-bit iso? I know Microsoft removed all their downloads, but I reallllllly need one.

FatUglyUseless
Dec 6, 2013

Duccy posted:

Is there any place where I can still get a Win 7 Pro 64-bit iso? I know Microsoft removed all their downloads, but I reallllllly need one.

Does http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery work for you?

Duccy
Mar 2, 2013
i like bois
No, I put in my key and it says that the software is unavailable for the language I selected (English).

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
If this is the wrong place to ask this, please let me know.

Windows 7 Professional machine; I printed something on November 8th 2014 that I cannot find the physical copy of. Is there somewhere that Windows stores everything I printed? I know this is a longshot, but if I can look in some sort of folder and find it, that would be amazing.

It definitely is not something I saved to my hard drive. Just printed on that date and then placed somewhere and I am almost certain someone threw it out. :sigh:

Any advice would be appreciated. I thought maybe going to the "spooler" from that date might yield something? I know this is a longshot. But any tip would be appreciated.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Melmac posted:

If this is the wrong place to ask this, please let me know.

Windows 7 Professional machine; I printed something on November 8th 2014 that I cannot find the physical copy of. Is there somewhere that Windows stores everything I printed? I know this is a longshot, but if I can look in some sort of folder and find it, that would be amazing.

It definitely is not something I saved to my hard drive. Just printed on that date and then placed somewhere and I am almost certain someone threw it out. :sigh:

Any advice would be appreciated. I thought maybe going to the "spooler" from that date might yield something? I know this is a longshot. But any tip would be appreciated.

Is this something you downloaded off the web? If you haven't cleared your temporary files it might still be there. You'd have to look up exactly how your browser handles saving temp files when it prints off the web, but they're probably on a folder somewhere that only gets cleared when your drive runs out of space.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
50 gigs of email is loving retarded. I can't even fathom the amount of poo poo that must be stored in that PST.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Gyshall posted:

50 gigs of email is loving retarded. I can't even fathom the amount of poo poo that must be stored in that PST.

Every third email has a ten meg pdf.

FatUglyUseless
Dec 6, 2013

Duccy posted:

No, I put in my key and it says that the software is unavailable for the language I selected (English).

Try the microsoftsoftwareswap reddit? They have download links for the os software they are selling at very dubious prices. I don/t suggest buying anything from them, as the prices are to good to be legit. The download links do go back to MS though.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Can anyone recommend software that would let me view USB device protocol stuff, similar to the examples on this page: http://www.usbmadesimple.co.uk/ums_5.htm

I'm on win 7 pro 64

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I just bought a used laptop off of Ebay, a Thinkpad T440s. The laptop has a Windows 8 sticker on the bottom but has 7 installed. Is there a way to upgrade to 8 without paying because it originally was built with it?

Edit: Or, what's the best way to wipe this thing because it booted straight to Windows instead of running any sort of setup.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Lblitzer posted:

I just bought a used laptop off of Ebay, a Thinkpad T440s. The laptop has a Windows 8 sticker on the bottom but has 7 installed. Is there a way to upgrade to 8 without paying because it originally was built with it?

Edit: Or, what's the best way to wipe this thing because it booted straight to Windows instead of running any sort of setup.

The Windows 8 key should be embedded in the BIOS, and you should be able to install without having to manually enter the key.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

peepsalot posted:

Can anyone recommend software that would let me view USB device protocol stuff, similar to the examples on this page: http://www.usbmadesimple.co.uk/ums_5.htm

I'm on win 7 pro 64

Someone told me to try this https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj672840

But when I run 'USB3HWVerifierAnalyzer.exe' from cmd, as administrator, it just says its "not a valid Win32 application".

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Lblitzer posted:

If you have the key then you're good to go, it may or may not be in the BIOS and you can look under the battery case as well or look online to see where they keep it. You might also consider going into the BIOS and turning back on EFI or whatever the new BIOS type is so that you can leverage the faster boot times of Win8, etc (assuming whoever put 7 on put it back into legacy mode). This guys seems to want a similar thing:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/t440s-windows-8-uefi-installation.756942/

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

OldPueblo posted:

If you have the key then you're good to go, it may or may not be in the BIOS and you can look under the battery case as well or look online to see where they keep it. You might also consider going into the BIOS and turning back on EFI or whatever the new BIOS type is so that you can leverage the faster boot times of Win8, etc (assuming whoever put 7 on put it back into legacy mode). This guys seems to want a similar thing:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/t440s-windows-8-uefi-installation.756942/

Windows 8 does not use product keys for OEM machines. The number is built into the BIOS but I'm not able to figure out where to get a copy of Windows 8 Pro but also not sure if it would work because it didn't come preloaded.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lblitzer posted:

Windows 8 does not use product keys for OEM machines. The number is built into the BIOS but I'm not able to figure out where to get a copy of Windows 8 Pro but also not sure if it would work because it didn't come preloaded.

You can also just wait til Windows 10 is out this fall, you'll be able to get a free upgrade for it whether you have Windows 7 or Windows 8 as long as you register by fall 2016.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Lblitzer posted:

You should be able to retrieve your key using the steps in this link: http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios/

And then use this link to download Windows 8.0: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

Once you've upgraded with that key, you should be able to install 8.1 with no problems.

I did exactly this with a Lenovo laptop a couple months ago and it worked like a champ.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

^^^^ Don't know if that stuff still works, but that's the old procedure; the media from my link lets you do a clean install of 8.1 directly with a Windows 8 key. edit: and Belarc also gets you the key without hassle, I might add.

Lblitzer posted:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

It might have been sold as a business laptop with "Win8 Pro with downgrade rights" and have had Win 7 Pro preloaded, like mine. In which case the machine has a license valid for either. Installing 8.1 fresh from media created through the link above worked without a hitch for me, with the key in the bios automatically detected and all.

In case of doubt, get Belarc Adviser and write down the Windows key it finds (the key that doesn't have OEM in it). You probably won't need it, but at least you'll probably be able to do a clean Win 7 install with it in the worst case.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 26, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

You can also just wait til Windows 10 is out this fall, you'll be able to get a free upgrade for it whether you have Windows 7 or Windows 8 as long as you register by fall 2016.

Is the Win10 Free or Free*

/rampant speculation
More than a few people have suggested that it might be Free* in that XBox Silver is Free but you have to cough up $70/year for XBox Gold which allows you access to all the features. I'm not sure how that would work but I'm willing to be they'll figure out how to work Azure, cloud storage and device sync to sweeten the deal.
/rampant speculation

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
All reports I've seen (granted, not nearly all of them) indicate a full upgrade to Windows 10 for free for the first year it's out. No idea about different versions (pro/home/whatever).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hadlock posted:

Is the Win10 Free or Free*

It's basically the same as the free upgrade to Windows 8 for late release Windows 7 computer or free upgrade to Windows 7 for late Vista computers just before the respective OSes came out, only instead of having to have bought your computer within 3 months ahead of general release of the OS, it's simply any computer with a valid 7 or 8 license.

If you wait til Fall 2016 or later to get the upgrade you have to pay full price, just like how computers with the fre eupgrade available were no longer eligible after a while.

You won't have to pay any sort of subscription fee, but you would need to keep your old Windows 7 or 8 full install media on hand to then upgrade from to Windows 10 if you ever need to do a clean install.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Please help.

At my work we have a transcription department that transcribes audio from DSS files from certain digital voice recorders.

The transcription software they use gives them all sorts of nice tools for control of playback to aid them in their job of transcribing these DSS files.

The problem is that some people wish to use 3rd party digital voice recorders which record files in an MP3 format. The MP3 format isn't supported by the transcription software the transcription department uses.

I've been looking everywhere to see if I can find a converter to allow us to easily convert MP3 files to DSS files. I've found the opposite - DSS to MP3 - quite easily. But nothing I've found so far converts MP3 to DSS.

Does anyone know if there is such a program available? It does not matter if it's not freeware, so long as I can demonstrate that it works I can get authorization to purchase it.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

khy posted:

The problem is that some people wish to use 3rd party digital voice recorders which record files in an MP3 format. The MP3 format isn't supported by the transcription software the transcription department uses.

Tell them no.

DSS has special sauce in it for dictation purposes, that's why you use it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Melmac posted:

You could use a data recovery program and search for any EMF files (is that what they still are in 7? It's been a long time since I cared) that may still be on your system. The fact that it was several months ago is not good, as the data is probably long overwritten.

%SystemRoot%\System32\Spool\Printers

Obviously that folder will be empty - you're looking for deleted files in there.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I got a great deal on one of those travel scanners (an Epson Workforce DS-30) and now that I have one I want to start digitizing and archiving paper documents. What's a good workflow for this? Should I just scan this stuff straight into OneNote (I'm not a fan of Evernote)? I've started scanning to PDF and sorting files into folders, but something tells me there's probably a better way to go about this that won't suck when the time comes for me to actually retrieve info from the stuff I've scanned.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Microsoft is now offering up legit Windows ISOs for recovery
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

HalloKitty posted:

Microsoft is now offering up legit Windows ISOs for recovery
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery
poo poo, here I'm thinking this is not news, but it's Windows 7. Great! The good Windows 8 recovery media link is linked from that page too.

Though it says the key could be in the box the dvd came in or in the confirmation e-mail. So I guess I'll have to see if it works with OEM keys too.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Flipperwaldt posted:

poo poo, here I'm thinking this is not news, but it's Windows 7. Great! The good Windows 8 recovery media link is linked from that page too.

Though it says the key could be in the box the dvd came in or in the confirmation e-mail. So I guess I'll have to see if it works with OEM keys too.

It doesn't.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

c0burn posted:

It doesn't.
Ugh :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

c0burn posted:

It doesn't.

Ah, sorry. I just saw a news article about it and thought it would finally bring some closure to the constant questions. Why don't Microsoft just give you the drat thing? It's the key that has the value..