Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Guyver posted:

Ashita no Nadja maybe?

An orphan finds out her mother might be alive and goes to find her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QQDWmSSDfk

The ending animation is the infamous dancing costume thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJTJ6_rChjk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why is it infamous? Looks cute enough.

I hope there's not some dark undercurrent to that gif that I don't know because I've never heard of it before.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Captain Invictus posted:

Why is it infamous? Looks cute enough.

I hope there's not some dark undercurrent to that gif that I don't know because I've never heard of it before.

It's cute an innocent, but it's the series that kicked off the next level of Internet moe worship.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That's the one, thanks.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

It's cute an innocent, but it's the series that kicked off the next level of Internet moe worship.

and i'm glad of it

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Incidentally, I've just read that the opening and ending of Ashita no Nadja was directed by Mamoru Hosoda. Huh.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Everyone worked at Toei.

If you haven't seen Hosoda's contributions to Digimon Adventure you should check those out!

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I saw a clip on tumblr a couple months ago, and it was this dude looking at his phone going on about "darkness owns, evil is so cool, this guy just doesn't care he's great..." until the chick he was with tore into him for being a pretentious douche. Does anyone have the clip, or know what series its from?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think thats inou battle but its a dumb show so

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Cake Attack posted:

I think thats inou battle but its a dumb show so

Yeah that's it. I just wanted to see that clip again (now to find it...)

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Fooley posted:

Yeah that's it. I just wanted to see that clip again (now to find it...)

Episose 7, about eleven minutes in.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Episose 7, about eleven minutes in.
I haven't watched the rest of that anime but I like to think the monologue just comes out of nowhere and has nothing to do with the rest of the show.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Its pretty much a generic harem thing so you're not far off

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
It doesn't come out of nowhere, but it does end up going nowhere. Addressed in a couple lines, underlying issues never touched again. Disappointing, as it's easily the best moment in the show. Heck, it's one of the better scenes from any anime last year.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah it got me to watch the second half of that episode. Then they started talking about superpowers and I was like "what am I doing, this is probably dogshit"

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I remember when I was a kid (early to mid nineties) saw an anime on HBO. The only thing I remember is there's this scene where a guys head busts out of the stomach of a monster (that must've absorbed him or something) and he just looks at the hero (heroine?) and calmly says, "kill me.... kill me..."

Any help identifying that would be appreciated. I remember it looked really cool but I had no clue what was going on since I was seven and started it halfway in.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008
Gren/Glen from the Iria animation? (I highly suggest it and the live-action Zeiram movies, Keita Amemiya makes wonders).

https://www.google.com/search?q=iri...ria+zeiram+gren

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
So, while browsing this thread for entertainment value a thought struck me, i too have an anime that i can barely remember!

So, first of all, its an anime movie, set in europe i believe, and its from the 80-90's.

I think it was set during the 1800's but i honestly can't recall, could be early 1900's as well.

I remember the opening scene is of a tent in a jungle where a man is dying from malaria.

Turns out the man was a father and from then on out we follow the story about his daughter he left behind who i believe becomes an orphan due to this.. i think she has to live with distant relatives who hates her? Not sure..

I remember something about cutting an onion, and how it was used to mask her tears or something?

I don't remember much after this except for the final scene, which is a shot of sunset over a european city, set to a song that i recall sounded a lot like the sad theme song from the hulk tv-series.

Oh and a minor detail is that it was dubbed to swedish in that short era of the 90's when anime graced swedish television (like silverfang heyoo) if that helps.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 3, 2015

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Two that come to mind are TV shows not movies but they made a lot of compilation movies in the 70s and 80s so maybe. The first is the Secret Garden anime and the second is Little Princess Sara.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA-Pxfm3IjI

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

junopsis posted:

Gren/Glen from the Iria animation? (I highly suggest it and the live-action Zeiram movies, Keita Amemiya makes wonders).

https://www.google.com/search?q=iri...ria+zeiram+gren

I'm pretty sure that's it. Thanks.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 3, 2015

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Guyver posted:

Two that come to mind are TV shows not movies but they made a lot of compilation movies in the 70s and 80s so maybe. The first is the Secret Garden anime and the second is Little Princess Sara.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA-Pxfm3IjI

No, doesn't seem to be them, drat my impressionable young mind, why do i have to remember only snatches of this.. like how it rained in the malaria scene, how miserable the daughter was during the whole thing.. another thing i remember is that shes about to be or is adult in the last scene mentioned earlier.

Also i may have missremembered that last song as the hulk song when it was a classical song that sounds very much like it, very sad like but i cannot remember for the life of me what song that was!

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 4, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

junopsis posted:

Gren/Glen from the Iria animation?

Was this a collection of OVAs (?) because I was surprised when I found about 5 different videos. I was originally expecting just one feature film.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, it's a six episode OAV. There's also a live-action movie.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Was this a collection of OVAs (?) because I was surprised when I found about 5 different videos. I was originally expecting just one feature film.

Yeah, OVA series, there's also two live-action films which cover some similar ground but aren't in the same continuity. I prefer the films myself (practical effects, kickass female protagonist (not that that's a difference), Zeiram's designs, unique production design) but they're both kickass and the space setting's much more developed in the anime.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It doesn't come out of nowhere, but it does end up going nowhere. Addressed in a couple lines, underlying issues never touched again. Disappointing, as it's easily the best moment in the show. Heck, it's one of the better scenes from any anime last year.

Yeah I never even heard of the show but that was an insane performance. Shame it apparently sucks.

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.
Fun fact, that tirade was done in one take.

And Inou Battle is good if you dig chuuni characters.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah I never even heard of the show but that was an insane performance. Shame it apparently sucks.

"Sucks" is far too strong a word. It's hardly great, but it's decent fun. I don't regret watching it as it aired and might even recommend giving it a go during a future dry season if its premise sounds at all interesting. It has some great little animation moments.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Inou Battle can be a bit uneven, but has some amazing moments. There will never be a more chuuni name than Endless Paradox [The Witch Who Sneers At The Twilight].

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Much like the girl in the anime I don't know what chuuni means, I think I read something about chuunibyou a long time ago, I presume that's the same thing? What are the shows like?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

lordfrikk posted:

Much like the girl in the anime I don't know what chuuni means, I think I read something about chuunibyou a long time ago, I presume that's the same thing? What are the shows like?
Chunnibyou is a concept. Basically the Japanese version of a fedora and trenchcoat guy.

The first season of Chuniibyou the show is a mostly solid comedy, with some bad stretches near the end.
The second season is a mostly sub-par comedy with a few good jokes inbetween.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tonberrytoby posted:

Chunnibyou is a concept. Basically the Japanese version of a fedora and trenchcoat guy.

no?

it literally means something like 8th grade syndrome and just means you act like a corny anime. acting like you have special powers and that your life is some great dramatic saga. if you've seen steins;gate okabe is a good example

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Cake Attack posted:

no?

it literally means something like 8th grade syndrome and just means you act like a corny anime. acting like you have special powers and that your life is some great dramatic saga. if you've seen steins;gate okabe is a good example
I meant the analogue mainly for the way other people react to the chuuni.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Cake Attack posted:

no?

Oh, I see. I've seen Steins;Gate so I know exactly what you mean. I assume Okabe was still a bit extraordinary in his histrionic routine, wasn't he? I might end up watching one these chuuni shows, then. Would would be the go-to show in this genre? I assume it wouldn't be the eponymous one according to the earlier comment.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i wouldn't call it a genre, more of a character archtype that's become somewhat popular recently. the only shows i can think of where the protag is one is steins;gate, chuunibyou (shocking truth) and inou battle, and only one is good. haruhi sorta makes reference to the idea?

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.

lordfrikk posted:

I assume Okabe was still a bit extraordinary in his histrionic routine, wasn't he?

It's funny because Okabe was largely just pretending to be chuuni to cheer up Mayushii.

There isn't really a show that introduces the concept the best as it's always handled differently, to varying degrees of success. Chuunibyou and Inou Battle are the only shows I know that thoroughly analyze the concept, though I think the latter does much more with it and has a much more interesting premise to begin with.
Then there's Samurai Flamenco which presents the idea in a positive, "follow your dreams" manner, and if you ask me it's the most enjoyable anime out there, let alone the most enjoyable one that happens to feature chuunibyou syndrome.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll watch a few episodes of each to see if it's my thing.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm not sure if this thread will really be of much help, since what I"m looking for is likely Chinese in origin. I just remembered it today and I think it was about two star crossed lovers, and one of them would turn into a dragon or some animal or something, and this made the other one sad so they went to the gods to try and fix it. There were also the requisite animal comic relief that are in every mythological cartoon, and I think one of those was a boar or something. Anyone have any idea?

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm not sure if this thread will really be of much help, since what I"m looking for is likely Chinese in origin. I just remembered it today and I think it was about two star crossed lovers, and one of them would turn into a dragon or some animal or something, and this made the other one sad so they went to the gods to try and fix it. There were also the requisite animal comic relief that are in every mythological cartoon, and I think one of those was a boar or something. Anyone have any idea?

It's possible that you're talking about 1958's Panda and the Magic Serpent. It used Chinese-style artwork, had two star-crossed lovers for whom one transformed into a large creature, and comic relief animals. Often found in dollar stores.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Daryl Surat posted:

It's possible that you're talking about 1958's Panda and the Magic Serpent. It used Chinese-style artwork, had two star-crossed lovers for whom one transformed into a large creature, and comic relief animals. Often found in dollar stores.

Holy poo poo, this is it. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This thread is exceptionally good at identifying even the most obscure series/movies, I've found.

• Locked thread